110 replies to this topic

#1 SMCRoadRaceSeries

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

Announcement

With the cancellation of the RW Glenbrook Marathon this summer, and with about 50 6Ft aspirants that intended to qualify there now in limbo, we are proposing the following:

Incorporation of a full SMC Standard Marathon into the next SMC Road Race Series on 15th January.

It will comply with the following conditions:

• Start at 6am. Timing mats will only be set up for the usual 7am, so they will get ‘gun time’ only, plus HM split.
  • Drink Stations will be set out by 6:05 to 6:20, rolling out from Elizabeth to Newton, but will be unmanned until the usual 7am start.
  • Runners will have to be familiar with course in order to do first lap without marshalling.
  • The course will be the current certified HM course, cross mat at finish line and head back out around tree.
  • Entry Fee will be $50 and will be ‘online only’ and bibs/tags will be at start line (not canteen).
  • Entries will be limited to 6FT entrants and wait-lister, selected SMC regulars and others on application only .
  • Cut-off will be at 10:20 ( the 6FT qual time) and the course will be cleared after the last runner, or by latest 10am at Newton Street. Any runner not at the Newton Street drink station (5.5km to go) by 9:50 will miss the cut off.
  • Other conditions as imposed by SMC where applicable.

We may not get the kind weather we had this weekend but we believe this will be in the interests of running in general.

I will (with the 6FT hat) email the unqualified by end of today and set up the entry option as soon as possible.

Volunteers at 6am will also be appreciated.

SMC Committee

Edited by SMCRoadRaceSeries, 20 December 2011 - 03:55 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 thomo

Take off deemed semi safe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,210 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

I wonder how many will take up the kind offer?

Barefoot, Eagle, BobF & other 100 marathon Club members might run to get their numbers up you never know. Good chance of Eagle not sure about the others.

Good way to run the Christmas pudding off.

Going up HTFU Hill twice will sort people out.

#3 Eagle

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,875 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

If Bob says it will count I will run.

Hell if I can move forward for 240k I should be able to do 42.195 in under 4.20. I have started running and will ease back into it and the 16th sounds just perfect. I might just be the back marker for the event.

By the way CONGRATULATIONS to the SMC President for a great initiative. :clapping:

#4 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

View Postthomo, on 20 December 2011 - 06:46 PM, said:

...as they do in 30km B)

View PostEagle, on 20 December 2011 - 07:02 PM, said:

...doesn't need Bob's approval surely??  :huh: Is he even a member of AIMS, IAAF etc?

Don't worry, it will be a 'real' std marathon and will be a lot more fair dinkum than many others on his list. Certified course, electronic timing etc etc. It will be good enough for New York, Comrades, Boston and any other overseas marathon that needs a qualifier too.

the 16th sounds just perfect. I might just be the back marker for the event.

...but you may be 24 hrs late :Straight Face:

Edited by Colin, 20 December 2011 - 07:12 PM.

#5 ScamBullant

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

A very generous offer that Im sure many aspiring 6ft runners will be most grateful for.  :drinks:

#6 walshy2

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

Great Initiative Colin! well done

Edited by walshy2, 21 December 2011 - 07:18 AM.

#7 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:17 PM

View PostColin, on 20 December 2011 - 07:11 PM, said:

Don't worry, it will be a 'real' std marathon and will be a lot more fair dinkum than many others on his list. Certified course, electronic timing etc etc. It will be good enough for New York, Comrades, Boston and any other overseas marathon that needs a qualifier too.
Sounds VERY interesting ...

#8 Barefoot

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

View Postthomo, on 20 December 2011 - 06:46 PM, said:

I wonder how many will take up the kind offer?

Barefoot, Eagle, BobF & other 100 marathon Club members might run to get their numbers up you never know. Good chance of Eagle not sure about the others.

Good way to run the Christmas pudding off.

I "retired" after Sydney Marathon, but if SMC need a 4:20 sweeper, might have to help out and keep Eagle company. :Bring It On:

#9 halfwaydown

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

At a loss after Glenbrook was cancelled - this is great news and perfect tonic for the new year.  :Applause:

#10 bobbys

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

Great idea Colin - hope all those that need the time turn out. I'll satisfy myself with the standard 21.1km in Jan but if it is on the following year, would love to do it (as long as Thomo is there to provide encouragement lol).

BS

#11 thomo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

View Postbobbys, on 20 December 2011 - 08:34 PM, said:

Great idea Colin - hope all those that need the time turn out. I'll satisfy myself with the standard 21.1km in Jan but if it is on the following year, would love to do it (as long as Thomo is there to provide encouragement lol).

BS
Not sure if I am up to 42.2kms.......... on the bike.

#12 Lotsahare

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

Just make sure you leave enough 'tonic' for me HWD.. I will need it!  :p

Edited by Lotsahare, 20 December 2011 - 09:14 PM.

#13 MichaelG

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

View PostColin, on 20 December 2011 - 07:11 PM, said:

This event will be recognised in runner's marathon counts by Bob.

Cheers,
Michael

#14 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:32 PM

View PostMichaelG, on 20 December 2011 - 10:12 PM, said:

This event will be recognised in runner's marathon counts by Bob.

Let's not get side tracked on whether the marathon is acceptable to a particular runner's opinion, or get into a debate on what constitutes a marathon.

Bob is a friend and life member of SMC, but the only arbiter of what constitutes a 'standard' marathon (if one wants to be pedantic here about 'recognition') are the official bodies of certification.

This marathon will be two 'laps' of the officially certified SMC Half (2 x 0.5 = 1)

I hope to have the entry link sorted tomorrow, with an email to the unqualified- esp the ones that had registered for Glenbrook.

cheers

Edited by Colin, 20 December 2011 - 11:35 PM.

#15 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,875 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:48 AM

Colin

A bit of light banter. It is not about what is a standard marathon etc but about what event will be recognised by the Club.It does not reflect on the event or the organisers but is about meeting some club rules. Bob is not the arbitrator of what is a marathon by defined international standards and rules but is consulted at times about what will be accepted for club purposes.

Worlds apart.

#16 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:55 AM

Understood Ray,

Those comments have sometimes become an ongoing argument on 'what is a marathon'.

Hope to have the entry system set up today and email the entrants- in fact it is already there, but probably not exactly the way it should be. gave up at 1am this morning. Will await advice from Activenet on whether it is ok...but if anyone enters now it will give them an entry.

Trying to keep it as simple as possible, the pricing will be $50 for all including SMC members and it will be online only

cheers

#17 chops

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

Is anybody welcome, or is it only open for members and people who don't have qualifiers?

#18 philk

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:49 AM

No 6ft incentive for me, but I may just be in for a v v gentle 42k - with anything under 4:59:59 in mind as a 'just-in-case' 2O qualification. 5hr cut-off for the very BOP?

As suspected, easy to talk Zed into backing up after Hobart....

#19 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

View Postchops, on 21 December 2011 - 09:43 AM, said:

Is anybody welcome, or is it only open for members and people who don't have qualifiers?

• Entries will be limited to 6FT entrants and wait-lister, selected SMC regulars and others on application only .

View Postphilk, on 21 December 2011 - 09:49 AM, said:

No 6ft incentive for me, but I may just be in for a v v gentle 42k - with anything under 4:59:59 in mind as a 'just-in-case' 2O qualification. 5hr cut-off for the very BOP?

As suspected, easy to talk Zed into backing up after Hobart....

• Cut-off will be at 10:20 ( the 6FT qual time) and the course will be cleared after the last runner, or by latest 10am at Newton Street. Any runner not at the Newton Street drink station (5.5km to go) by 9:50 will miss the cut off.

#20 philk

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:13 AM

Doh....thanks Brick - next time I'll read the detail. I got excited when I saw the headline.

#21 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

Sorry about the limitations guys.

View Postchops, on 21 December 2011 - 09:43 AM, said:

Possibly it depends on the uptake if you are keen.

We usually start at 7am with our HM, and we are just putting this on in parallel with a 6am start, without too much changes to what we normally do- eg we don't want poor Brick to be setting out the course at 4:30am do we? Short notice and all that etc.

So we are trying to keep the numbers manageable, and with a January date there is always the chance of a scorcher, so both the number of runners and the finish time of day/ability of runners will come into play if it is open ended.

cheers

#22 Android

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

Great idea Colin

I'd be interested to sneak in an entry as an SMC regular but I was wondering how this will effect the overall results for the long series. I assume it will be treated as a dropped round ? (not sure how the overall results are calculated to be honest).  

One slip up from Dave, Tim or Brendan (not that I'd wish it upon them) and I might be a slim chance of an overall podium place in 2011/12. A hollow victory mind you given the caliber of our 3 big guns and gap to the rest of us !

#23 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:07 PM

View PostAndroid, on 21 December 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

I'd be interested to sneak in an entry as an SMC regular but I was wondering how this will effect the overall results for the long series. I assume it will be treated as a dropped round ? (not sure how the overall results are calculated to be honest).  

Totally separate event from the rest of series. Just the same as an SMC member running the Glenbrook marathon on the same day as SMC, which is one reason why there is also no separate pricing.

As for overall results of series, that is your best 6 places, the points per place should be on website.

#24 Evil

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:18 PM

Thanks Colin - I think its great.

Hopefully we get some weather like we did last week.

Might be some interesting crossing over of marathon runners and 5 or 10km runners around 7.30/7.40 at the start area.

#25 AaronR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:47 PM

View PostColin, on 21 December 2011 - 12:07 PM, said:

As for overall results of series, that is your best 6 places, the points per place should be on website.

I just went and had a look myself out of curiosity and could find where that would be? Any clues? Sorry I am hopeless with finding things on the inter webber thingy jigger.

#26 chops

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

Colin, depending on the uptake, I am keen.

#27 HillsAths1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

Aaron, you may need to do some mental sums.

Go to the SMC website look at your position in age group work out points for December race. Do the same for other races, add points together, done!

#28 CessnockRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

I'll be heading down from sunny Cessnock for that one. Glad I ran the SMC half last Sunday to give me an idea of the course. Thanks all for making this happen. Hopefully I'll get the invite call from Colin & then get my entry in. Have a great christmas & new year all.
Cheers Grahame

#29 Strongfastbelieve

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

Hi Colin,
Thanks for organising this, looking forward to (hopefully) finally getting a 6ft qualifier. When should we expect the confirmation emails? Many thanks.
SFB

#30 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

Hi Guys,

If you are currently a registered 6FT entrant or wait lister and not yet qualified, you can now go ahead  and register at SMC website.

Click on the 'register' button which will take you to our race series registration.
Choose the 'membership option' ( member, non-member etc)
Enter personal details
On the activities page choose the radio button "I would like to purchase single race(s)"
Tick the SMC Marathon checkbox
Check-out

Had to set it up myself with Active on holidays so if any issues, please email smcroadraceseries@gmail.com

If you are currently a SMC Road Race Series registrant please update your registration.

Any other runners that want to enter please send me an email

cheers

#31 howcanhegosofast

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:04 AM

Hi Colin,
Another big thank you for arranging this race for the late late 6 foot people. Hope you get a good number taking up the opportunity to still qualify. Hobart can wait, I did get to check out the Hobart course yesterday and it's fairly flat, compared to, what was it called, HTFU hill or something... Better look on the map for that one.

Out of interest, how many marathoners are you expecting all up ??

Cheers,
Matt

#32 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:29 AM

View Posthowcanhegosofast, on 22 December 2011 - 08:04 AM, said:

I did get to check out the Hobart course yesterday and it's fairly flat, compared to, what was it called, HTFU hill or something... Better look on the map for that one.

Out of interest, how many marathoners are you expecting all up ??

There is a bigger hill on Hobart than the so called HTFU, these SMC guys are soft...it is only a 600m bit of about 20m rise.

I emailed about 75 entrants on the 'unqualified' list, of which approx 50 had intentions of running Glenbrook. Not all of them may take it up, but there will be additionals, and possibly an opportunity for some to make a case for a better wave qualifier.

I know it is the 'back streets of smiff-field' and not the picturesque Bogong to Hotham, but of the 50 people how many would be able to go there - isn't it full anyway?- and how many are ready to run 64km - to qualify for a 45km too boot...and how many can afford to go to Hobart?
So we should get a good amount of takers....not really a "tough decision".

I just want to put on record that the decision to hold this race was a unilateral SMC decision purely to give the option for 6FT aspirants left high and dry by the unforeseen cancelation of another event, where their only other option would have been expensive interstate trips. We waited until the other event was officially canceled before making the decision independently.

Who knows, if the logistics are manageable, it might not be a one off, especially when we move to the shared path and off the 'back streets of smiff-field' ;)

Edited by Colin, 22 December 2011 - 09:31 AM.

#33 PlodderForts

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:47 PM

Thanks SMC team and Colin for putting on this event,
I am one of the few who was looking to qualify at Glenbrook, but alas.

thought I might have to get on a plane to Hobart to qualify which is expensive at this time of year.

I received my email invitation and have just registered for the event.
Here's hoping it is not a scorcher

#34 ratdog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

Ive attached the Elevation Profile for the SMC Marathon.  

All I did was double the Half Marathon course.  
Attached File  SMC Marathon Course Elevation Med 22-12-2011.jpg   172.32K   68 downloads
Disclaimer:  Garmin 310xt worn by someone 6'1".

Edited by ratdog, 22 December 2011 - 05:47 PM.

#35 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

Rattie,

What have you done?...people will be quaking in their boots now that they know that HTFU is 2.8% and the difference betwen high and low is 32m. :o

What will the 'smiffo' haters say? :Hmmmph:

#36 buzzlightyear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

Colin said:

1324510199[/url]' post='701828']
left high and dry by the unforeseen cancelation of another event

..for the record..that race then was neither high nor 'dry' ....Posted ImageBack to the banter people

#37 AaronR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

It's not the HTFU hill that is hard, its the hill before the turn around on the 25 & 30k option. Now that seems to suck it out of you. :Black Eye:

#38 SMC42K

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:40 PM

View PostAaronR, on 22 December 2011 - 07:02 PM, said:

It's not the HTFU hill that is hard, its the hill before the turn around on the 25 & 30k option. Now that seems to suck it out of you. :Black Eye:
AaronR, as the marathon will be utilizing the existing 1/2 marathon course, doubled, the hills of the 25km & 30km courses will not be used. However, if it is a hot day we may have to bring out the cooling station on HTFU Hill again.

Edited by SMC42K, 22 December 2011 - 10:43 PM.

#39 ratdog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

View PostColin, on 22 December 2011 - 06:28 PM, said:

Rattie,

What have you done?...people will be quaking in their boots now that they know that HTFU is 2.8% and the difference betwen high and low is 32m. :o

What will the 'smiffo' haters say? :Hmmmph:
:LOL:

the scale does not do justice to the course

#40 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

Here you go.
Here's a better jpg

Attached File  SMC Marathon Course Elevation Med 22-12-2011.jpg   8.36K   45 downloads

HTFU, what HTFU?

Edited by Colin, 23 December 2011 - 08:29 AM.

#41 thomo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:17 AM

View PostSMC42K, on 22 December 2011 - 10:40 PM, said:

However, if it is a hot day we may have to bring out the cooling station on HTFU Hill again.
Haven't seen that fan for a couple of years. I hope you found the extension cord.

#42 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:31 AM

Got to have a chat to our resident inventor, Ratdog to make a real water spray station before he goes to NZ. I have something in mind but need engineering assistance.

#43 rachinaus

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

View PostAaronR, on 22 December 2011 - 07:02 PM, said:

The January marathoners will be getting off lightly - maybe some will come back for the joy of this hill in Feb when normal service is resumed :)

#44 ratdog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:32 PM

View PostColin, on 23 December 2011 - 08:31 AM, said:

Got to have a chat to our resident inventor, Ratdog to make a real water spray station before he goes to NZ. I have something in mind but need engineering assistance.

Introducing the Sydney Marathon Clinic Sprinkler System

youtube linky

#45 AaronR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:43 PM

View Postratdog, on 23 December 2011 - 07:32 PM, said:

youtube linky

He's a master of Bunning's Gardening and Plumbing Excellence! Brilliant!

#46 thomo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:03 PM

View Postratdog, on 23 December 2011 - 07:32 PM, said:

youtube linky
You are the ideas man Ratty. Posted Image

That will be so welcome to the marathoners.

#47 runhard

I just love to run!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

Wow!  That is amazing Ratty!!!!

#48 randy

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

Enroute back from walking the Six Foot Track in one day (alas, not a qualifier), I detoured through Smithfield and cammed the course (not necessarily the direction you'll be running it).
SMH course video

#49 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

Thanks Randy,

Obviously a working day with all that traffic and parked vehicles...much more sleepy at 6am on a Sunday. B)

Just a few updates while I am here:

• We will have a lead biker.
  • The drink stations will be attended from the start
  • There might be some trophies.
  • Possibly a BBQ
  • Proceeds will probably be added to our February race charity donation....we don't like money.
  • We can probably accept a few more entrants especially SMC regulars or other good folk.
cheers

#50 bobbys

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

I'm very much tempted Colin but I don't think I would do the run any justice - I'm running 22km (although not at the pace I'd like to) and am worried that I would do a Personal Worst (but still within the cut-off time). It would however help me shake the proverbial monkey off my back.....

forgot to add - I have your 2 cables Colin.....