• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Butterfliesrfree55

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hi People
I am over 50 and thinking about trying the Michelle Bridges 12 week challenge, and would like to know if anyone has tried it in my age bracket and had success, also does it start off with easy or hard exercising I have 10kg to loose Dr's orders.
Your input is appreciated

Edited by Butterfliesrfree55, 15 January 2012 - 08:49 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 MrUniqueName

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:31 PM

I haven't tried it but I'm a big fan of Beachbody products... things like P90X, Insanity etc. There's a trainer with that company called Chalene Johnson who seems to be very popular with females. The packages are really good and usually come with information about diet etc as well, which is in many ways probably more important for you than exercise. It's a US company but you can find ways to get the stuff here. Their site is www.beachbody.com.

Good luck!

#3 UnfitnessFanatic

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:10 AM

My wife and I did this 2 years ago.  12 weeks of nutrition and excercise in a format to suit anyone with whatever facilities you have available to you.  I dropped about 20kg in the 12 weeks and it taught me a real lesson in eating right and excercising consistantly.  Also having the support from the others in the online forum makes it alot easier.  The excercise program she writes up definitely gets harder, but there are different levels so you can work out which will suit you best and stick to that.  

This program will test you and you have to be very strict on it if you want to do it properly.  Good Luck.

#4 SirRatty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

View PostUnfitnessFanatic, on 16 January 2012 - 07:10 AM, said:

My wife and I did this 2 years ago.  12 weeks of nutrition and excercise in a format to suit anyone with whatever facilities you have available to you.  I dropped about 20kg in the 12 weeks and it taught me a real lesson in eating right and excercising consistantly.  Also having the support from the others in the online forum makes it alot easier.  The excercise program she writes up definitely gets harder, but there are different levels so you can work out which will suit you best and stick to that.  

This program will test you and you have to be very strict on it if you want to do it properly.  Good Luck.

x2

My wife did this September-December last year, and has signed up again for the new round (and I did it as support).

There are 4 different levels of exercise intensity, with a host of options in each level (e.g. indoor, outdoor, gym equipment etc.). Everything is graded, though you'll probably feel like you're going to die after the very first session. My wife had limited success with fitting exercise into her schedule - only 2 reduced sets most weeks, but still managed to lose about 8kg. Getting the exercise bit right is the main reason for signing up again.

One of the things that I found great is that unlike other things we have tried in the past, the program just has instructions and you have to make the changes yourself to make it work. From the diet perspective, you get a weekly shopping list and recipes so you don't have to think too much, but you still have to make the meals, understand portion sizes etc. You need to (learn to) understand calories, and track how much you eat. The end result of this difference is that when the program finishes, you have a stockpile of shopping lists and recipes and have changed your habits to successfully continue (rather than pre-packaged programs that do everything for you so that when you stop the habit of "not cooking" continues).

We're not quite over 50, though I chatted with a couple of ladies at the Resolution Run this month that at a guess would have been, and they had had success - losing almost 30kg (though I didn't think to ask if that was just one round), and entering an 11km running race.

#5 Woodenlegs

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

I'm interested in doing the 12 week challenge and I'm over 50. I don't have a great deal of weight to loose but I obviously have no idea about diet. I recently trained for a marathon and I think I'm the only person that can put on weight in the process.

In the exercise program it appears that you do three days aerobic, two strength and one stretch. If I am doing more than three aerobic sessions now, Do I have to cut back?

#6 UnfitnessFanatic

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:46 AM

Woodenlegs, I think you should send them an email.  Explain that you are training for a running event and ask their advice.  If you have the excercise side of it down pat ie running 4-5 days a week, then I would suggest you find a good sports dieticien and get a meal plan done up.  12wbt IMO is a good kick start for people who need to get motivated to excercise and eat properly and require a structured plan to help them do it.

#7 veryslowplod

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

View PostWoodenlegs, on 21 January 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

I'm interested in doing the 12 week challenge and I'm over 50. I don't have a great deal of weight to loose but I obviously have no idea about diet. I recently trained for a marathon and I think I'm the only person that can put on weight in the process.

In the exercise program it appears that you do three days aerobic, two strength and one stretch. If I am doing more than three aerobic sessions now, Do I have to cut back?

I put on weight whilst traiing for the Melbourne marathon last year so you are not alone!!

#8 loubee

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

View PostUnfitnessFanatic, on 23 January 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

If you have the excercise side of it down pat ie running 4-5 days a week, then I would suggest you find a good sports dieticien and get a meal plan done up.  12wbt IMO is a good kick start for people who need to get motivated to excercise and eat properly and require a structured plan to help them do it.
I would disagree with this. I did round 3 last year, loosely following the food but feeling as i run enough i could pass the exercise. In the final werk i looked back and a really good look at her exercise plans, they are very good. Im a firm believer that strength training will benefit my running and following her two week Lean and Strong program handed out at the end ofvlast round. This is 5 days strength, 1 day cardio but im modifying it a little to 4 days strength + 4 running days. If all holds up i will do the first 6 weeks L&S then change down to Lean & Fit for the last 6 as i near 2012's first marathon.

Her food plans and shopping list's are fantastic and very user friendly and prsonally  i think the cost of a nutritionist would easily cost as much without all the benefits her program has.

Im also a weight gain marathoner so feel your pain.