Bathurst Half Marathon And 10Km 6th May 2012Info and chit-chat on a fast, flat cool Half and 10k

• You cannot reply to this topic
35 replies to this topic

#1 bathirstrunner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

We hereby proudly announce the 26th Bathurst Half Marathon and 10km race.

This year's race will be held on the 6th May 2012. Just like last year's race it will be flat, fast, and hopefully cool conditions like last year without a hint of wind.

*crosses fingers*

We'll post a link here and on our website (www.bathurstrunning.com.au) when online entry is available.

In the meantime enjoy your training and see you in May!

Bathurst Half Marathon and 10km
An event for runners, by runners
Organised by Bathurst Half Marathon Inc

Edited by Bellthorpe, 08 September 2012 - 01:00 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 bathirstrunner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

Also can anyone tell me how to get rid of the capital T (T for typo) in the title?

I didn't notice until after I clicked 'post' and now it's pissing me off.

#3 Johnbo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

Go your first post and click on the edit button.
Then choose "Use Full Editor"
Then you can edit the original title .....

#4 Frosty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:32 PM

Charles Sturt University Bathurst Half Marathon and 10k Sunday 6th May 2012.

Get to Bathurst for a great low key event. Enjoy a great weekend away. Civilised 9.00 start.
Ideal lead up event for the Sydney Half without the crowds.
Detail on website http://www.bathurstrunning.com.au/

Start finish at Rugby Club in Hereford St.
Flat course, option of starting 10k and going on to complete a half.
Online entry now available $35. (Students $20)
Famous free sausage sizzle for all runners. Lots of lucky draw prizes.

#5 theturtle

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

Have run this for last 2 years, its a great course, very flat and fast. PB potential.  Good BBQ at the end, friendly mob and great vollies.

I'll see you there, hopefully with a car full of Dubbo runners this year!

#6 SirRatty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

Well, I'll be coming out for this one to pace my wife through her first 10k. Depending on how she feels about me leaving her at the finish line, I might just go on to finish the HM (should be a good excuse to negative split!).

#7 Frosty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

Preparations going well for the best sausage sizzle with a half marathon in the country. Sausage sambo and opportunity to run a flat quick course. Only $35

http://www.bathurstrunning.com.au/

#8 Kookaburra

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

Sounds like an interesting run.  Given that my running is now more about seeing different parts of NSW/Australia, might give this one a go.  Was originally going to do Sydney 10 at Olympic Park, but Olympic Park is boring.  Don't suppose anyone can recommend accommodation in Bathurst.  I am assuming the start of the run is centrally located for those of us travelling by train?

#9 richardegg

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

I will be there if I can recover from Canberra marathon ok.....

#10 Kookaburra

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

richardegg, I too will be in Canberra in 2 weeks, although only for the 10km on the Saturday evening.  And 2 weeks ago, I was camping out in Orange and cycling around for 2 days - lovely area, although was a bit nippy.  Hoping Bathurst is not quite so cold.

#11 Hoary

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

View PostSirRatty, on 09 February 2012 - 12:14 AM, said:

Well, I'll be coming out for this one to pace my wife through her first 10k. Depending on how she feels about me leaving her at the finish line, I might just go on to finish the HM (should be a good excuse to negative split!).
Hi There Ratty,
I'm travelling to Bathurst for this one mate on a bit of a road trip,,, I'm doing the half.....staying there Sat night ...love to catch up ...dinner ..whatever..

#12 richardegg

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

Did enter but my ITB is F**KED after marathon today. Back to square one with rehab. Will have to give this one a miss.

#13 Barefoot

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

I entered the Half Marathon and booked accomodation, then a few days later was invited to a "surprise" family birthday party.

Now may have to drive up Sunday morning, if I recover from the party.

#14 riffraff

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

Been years since I've driven to Bathurst......how long does it take from, say, Castle Hill?

Also, can anyone recommend accomm?

Looks like a goer.

#15 Frosty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

View PostRafferty, on 23 April 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

Been years since I've driven to Bathurst......how long does it take from, say, Castle Hill?

Pleasant 2 & half hours from Castle Hill via Bells Line.
Good range off accommodation options from http://www.visitbath...au/rest-a-relax

We have over 100 entrants already so looking like a good field this year.
Weather has turned cool so perfect running conditions assured.

#16 riffraff

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

Cheers, Frosty.

It looks as tho' I will prolly need to drive up on race morning.

Can I enter on day or do I need to enter online a few days prior?

Edited by Rafferty, 28 April 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#17 THE KEG

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

Always enjoy this run.Will be coming up the day before with the family.My 4 th run here- too slow at the moment by far to run the half .Will be running the 10k. Looking forward to a good run from me-hopefully a years best - I managed to beat 5 runners home last year so I want to finish in front of a few more- unlike yesterday's-LAST. :drinks:

#18 Hoary

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

View PostTHE KEG, on 30 April 2012 - 06:26 AM, said:

Always enjoy this run.Will be coming up the day before with the family.My 4 th run here- too slow at the moment by far to run the half .Will be running the 10k. Looking forward to a good run from me-hopefully a years best - I managed to beat 5 runners home last year so I want to finish in front of a few more- unlike yesterday's-LAST. :drinks:
see ya there Keg

#19 Frosty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

Entry available on morning or online till 4.00pm Friday

Expecting good croud as we have over 150 entrants already. In past years have had only 100 pre entrants. Weather forecast looking good.

Fish River Roasters selling great coffee early Sunday morning.

#20 theturtle

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

Hi Keg

I'll miss you this time...got injured in a car crash (minor) but enough to stop me running for the last 6 weeks...might see you at Mudgee later this year or DUBBO?  Have a good run!

#21 sammo72

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

Hoping to bring a large contingent from Orange Runners again. Definitely one of our favourite 'local' events.

Weather looks a little chilly in the morning, with ZERO temps expected.

#22 Johnbo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

I am there to pace my daughter who is studying At CSU Bathurst...not sure she has done any training, so it should be interesting!

#23 Barefoot

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

View Posttheturtle, on 01 May 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

Hi Keg

I'll miss you this time...got injured in a car crash (minor) but enough to stop me running for the last 6 weeks...might see you at Mudgee later this year or DUBBO?  Have a good run!

Gald you are almost OK, recover soon. I will be at Mudgee for the Half Marathon - see you there.

#24 SirRatty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostHoary, on 15 April 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

View PostSirRatty, on 09 February 2012 - 12:14 AM, said:

Hi There Ratty,
I'm travelling to Bathurst for this one mate on a bit of a road trip,,, I'm doing the half.....staying there Sat night ...love to catch up ...dinner ..whatever..

Sorry mate, have decided to sit this one out. My wife was having dizzy spells when running that were tracked to low iron levels - almost under control now. And I have had a couple of doses of cold/flu since H2H with consequent disjointed training, so neither of us were really up for it. Maybe Bay to Bay?

#25 theturtle

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

View PostBarefoot, on 04 May 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

View Posttheturtle, on 01 May 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

Hi Keg

Gald you are almost OK, recover soon. I will be at Mudgee for the Half Marathon - see you there.

Sounds good!

#26 riffraff

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

Good to see you blokes turn on the weather. Was worried when the temp dropped to -2c just after passing through Lithgow, but thankfully Bathurst greeted us with a balmy 0c.

Thanks, great day, see you again next year.

#27 grunner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

Started the race with 3 layers.

Great race. I was following a runner around 200m behind at the 17km mark. I followed him onto the path and the 20km sign came up. I look at my garmin and saw we where only at 17.2km's. Lucky I turned back onto the road. He was gone. I felt a bit guilty taking 3rd male.

Great race though and glad I drove up this morning for it.

#28 Kookaburra

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

My first time doing this run and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Perfect weather for running.  Will return next year, but hopefully the trains will be running and I won't have to catch two buses and two trains.  Only saw one other person in Coolrunning gear and that was the KEG.

Edited by Kookaburra, 06 May 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#29 backofthepack

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

Top event, I was very happy with my Half Marathon time with near even splits.

The temperature range of 0 to 8 degrees was perfect for me, hands were a bit cold for the first 8 km, but OK after. Only one layer, a 'technical t-shirt' although I did wear the running cap given to all runners at registration in order to keep the head a bit warmer and for shade from the sun once the fog lifted at around the halfway mark.

Only complaint was the fact that the 10 km drink station only had sports drink and not water and sports drink like as at the 5 and 10 km stations.

All this, plus the free sausage sizzle, fruit etc for $35. :)

#30 backofthepack

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

From the local paper. Excellent effort for Dubbo runner, Jane Fardell to run 1-16.13  for 3rd overall in the half marathon.

In addition, Coolrunner 'Mr D' won the 10 km in 33.xx.

http://www.westernad...spx?storypage=0

Draper takes five in Bathurst

BY MARK RAYNER
07 May, 2012 04:00 AM

BATHURST HALF MARATHON
Orange runner Rod Draper has continued his domination of the CSU Bathurst Half Marathon, taking out his fifth title with another impressive performance in the 21.1 kilometre run yesterday.
Draper came into the race as an unknown after battling a leg injury for the last few weeks, but the cooler weather that the event was run in served to help him.
He was able to finish in 74 minutes and 34 seconds, one minute and 23 seconds ahead of second placed Bathurst runner Adam Safaric.
Dubbo runner Jane Fardell posted the quickest ever women’s time to be third with 76:13 while Jory Mullins was third male and fourth overall with a time of 79:35.
Draper’s place in the event wasn’t secure until he was given the all clear to compete by his physiotherapist on Thursday, so he was delighted to come away with another win.
“I was pretty happy. I don’t turn up to win, I turn up to run to a time that I train to and sometimes you’re not quite quick enough on the day, but today I was quick enough,” he said.
“I don’t know if they ever get any easier. I’ve been off my PB a little in the last three or four years, so I’m still trying to get back to that and I think that’s possible. I’m not getting any slower.”
The majority of the race was run in a thick fog and the temperature was a cool one degree when the race started. It stayed in single figures until the quickest competitors were across the finish line and the leg pain that Draper had been suffering was never a major issue.
“It was definitely cold. My hands were nearly frozen for the first 10 kilometres. I’ve had a bit of a leg injury and I think the cold weather may have done it good. It didn’t affect me too much at all,” he said.
“I started to feel it in the last three or four kilometres, but by then I knew I was pretty much home.”
“I wasn’t quite sure [if it was going to be a problem], the last couple of weeks I hadn’t really done any longer training whereas I normally would. I knew I had the kays in my legs so I thought I would ease off it and give it a chance to recover. It might have worked out well.”
The Orange athlete already had control of the race as they covered the first 10km. He was only seconds behind Brendan Davies, who took out the 10km division, and had more than 20 seconds advantage over his nearest rivals.
“I did the 10 kay fairly quickly and that was probably what did it for me. I broke those couple of guys behind me, so it worked out for the best,” he said.
“It was a reasonable lead. I’ve been in second spot before, 20 or 30 seconds behind someone, and it’s very hard to make that time up. You have to run negative splits which is rare.
“I was happy with the time. Not being 100 per cent sure of my leg, I thought somewhere around 75 would be good and to get under it and feel pretty strong at the end is good.
“I will be back. I’m not sure about a sixth win, but I will be back. This is my 11th straight time here, whether I’ve run the 10 kay or the half marathon. I can’t see why I’d miss it.”

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 grunner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

Hmmm Jory Mullins..... I like my new first name.

#32 RunLikeAGirlAus

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

Had an awesome time -  THANK YOU - it was a great event will definitely be back next year!

Are we able to get age category results??

#33 THE KEG

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

:drinks: Well done organisers.Even had " The Keg " written under my name on back of my number. The zero temperature didn't worry me walking from Motel and waiting for the start in just my shorts and CR singlet. Took until 4k to get going then started passing runners  and ran the second 5k 2 mins faster than the first.Was a bit slower than what I had hoped but ran 2 mins faster than last year. Beat 20 of the 165 runners home. Minikeg loved the sausage sandwiches.Well done MR D . Good to see Kookaburra and Backofthepack and meet Hoary.
Will be back next year-

Edited by THE KEG, 07 May 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#34 Frosty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

Thanks all those who braved the fog and cool morning! Record field, almost 300.
We don’t try to be anything we’re not, just the best free sausage sizzle with a Half & 10K in the country.
We had our local state member run as well as former member for Dubbo; the Vice Chancellor of CSU ran and a host of other wonder people from near and far. Record womens time in the Half. The coffee guy did over 3.5 kilos in the morning on his own. And how good were the sausage sambos????

Keep the feed back coming through our web site http://www.bathurstrunning.com.au/
As well are always trying to make it better for runners.

Lots of photos at:
http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/

Hope to see you all in May 2013.

#35 MrD

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

Thanks to all at 'Bathirst' Runners, a top little event that reminds me of the good ol' days of fun running! Love that there are events as good as this going around in regional NSW, gives us city slickers (I'm only kinda one of these days!) a chance to visit your beautiful countryside.

Loved the weather, the cooler the better and the fog always gets the blood pumping quickly!

Lined up in the 10k due to having to get back early for the wife's birthday. Was a bit worried that the two youngsters that came 2nd and 4th last year would line up again this year and be no doubt twice as quick! Thankfully they didn't! Very happy with my run 2 weeks out from TNF100. Congratulations to Rod Draper, a great campaigner on his 5th victory in the half. Maybe we'll go head to head again next year!

Very impressive female winning time too. Sorry I couldn't hang around for the presos.

See you next year!

#36 Hoary

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

I had a great weekend in Bathurst & Katoomba....Ran the half & broke 2 hrs for the first time in 1.56.22....thoroughly enjoyed the course...was great to see Keg ...the morning was cold but I didnt take long to warm up.
Thank you to all the organisers. it was a great event & I will be back next year.