As many would have noticed whilst running, there has been a new road constructed at the corner of Widemere Rd and Davis Rd, which will connect Prospect Hwy to Wetherill Park. The traffic is expected to be significantly increased (especially with trucks) compared to the current volumes. The safety of runners and marshals is paramount, therefore we have to move the course..
Proposed New course features:
- Walkway Cycleway.
- Park scenery with vast views to the South.
- Canteen at Start and Finish.
- Registrations at Start and Finish.
- Toilets at Start and Finish, also the 10 and 20km points.
- Carpark at Start Finish.
- Flatter course than the current course.
- Less Volunteers needed.
- One Busway crossing, same as the current course, but with better vision approaching.
- No other road crossings, No Traffic.
- 5 km event is a 2.5km out and back x 1.
- 10 km is a 5 km out and back x 1.
- 21.1km is a 5 km out and back x 2 plus another 550m out and back.
- 30km is a 5 km out and back x 3.
- Aid stations located at 2.4km and 4.8km. Accessible on both out and back legs each lap.
- Lots of grassed area each side of the path, except in small sections.
Here is a garmin activity showing the 5 km out section. The back section is the reverse.
A photo Gallery is located here with many pictures from around the course.
Once again this is the proposed new course and is awaiting council approval. The course will NOT be used for the February 2012 Race. Notice will be given prior to changing course.
Keep discussions about the the current SMC Road Race Series here.
All comments are welcome.
If anyone would like to have a run along the course on the same day as 6ft Track then we will be starting at 7:15. Saturday 10th March 2012.
Edited by ratdog, 11 February 2012 - 11:52 AM.