#51 undercover brother

horny

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,252 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

View Postc2105026, on 17 February 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

I see this as a case of one or 2 people not having the faintest clue about what they are actually against.
exactly!

Support our Australian advertisers:

#52 BEN-HUR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

There is also the question of genetics
Genetics plays a small role.

I saw little point up till now in responding to you 'c2105026', but the following mindset/ignorance annoys me...  

With my semi-regular indulgence in tobacco products I have thrown a bit of caution into the wind. But, it is MY caution to throw into the wind, not yours. I respect your choice to not smoke; I expect the same in kind.
Yea, fair enough! Then don't expect me to pay for it when you go belly up due to your (or anyone else's) choice to smoke. Yet, I have to - I have no #@$% choice in the matter do I? Whether through taxes, health insurance premiums etc... we all pay. Frankly, if anyone is stupid enough to start up or keep smoking in this day & age then they should pay their own way to recovery (i.e. have their own health fund). It is not like you haven't been warned of the specific dangers associated with the moronic act of smoking. And please, please... no one use any of the lame analogies involving the potential dangerous activities such as driving a car, riding a bike or eating a fruit or vegetable which may be laced with some unbeknown cancer causing chemical.

Justification of smoking needs to stop, as the activity affects us all, whether directly or indirectly. If a choice didn't have this impact on society then knock yourself out - yet smoking does - period!

I'm going for a run... where I know there are potential risks to my wellbeing... but it's not a wilful act of harm in light of the evidence we have before us.

#53 mutk

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

View Postmutk, on 17 February 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

SO far I see it as a clear case of one person being defensive, the rest totally calm and reasonable Posted Image

I see this as a case of one or 2 people not having the faintest clue about what they are actually against.

There is also the question of genetics - some will get cancer and some won't purely due to genes. In addition someone who smokes 1 cigarette a day will have a different risk profile as compared to one person having one pack a day. Eg. Linda McCartney was a vegetarian, but died of breast cancer (not smoking related but still an example).

The only way to stay 100% safe is to stay in bed and not do anything - indeed as Undercover Brother has suggested we all choose our shades of grey. Some choose a shade of grey to be fat, thin, smoker, non-smoker; I believe we have a right to choose what we do with our bodies; indeed we have a right to be obese and heavy drinkers should we choose to; but the right to smoke is slowly diminishing. It has since been discovered there is no safe level of alcohol consumption regarding cancer risk - are we going to go to prohibition now?

With my semi-regular indulgence in tobacco products I have thrown a bit of caution into the wind. But, it is MY caution to throw into the wind, not yours. I respect your choice to not smoke; I expect the same in kind.

Have skimmed over plain packaging research as supplied; I note it has not been trialled in the real world, only in clinical settings. I maintain my doubt that it will work but, we'll see Posted Image

You still have my sympathies, and I extend my sympathies to those that know and love you. Because smoking is such a pointless activity - one that free choice allows -  with such horrible consequences, I know what a senseless loss feels like. Last word from me, 'Don't Smoke'

Cheers

#54 Nickelass

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

Cigar "smokers" may be interested to learn that recent research suggests that it's not just smoke that causes damage but also nicotine.  

See http://medicalxpress...role-heart.html

#55 TheRuns

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

Given the plethora of chemicals in tobacco-containing products, nicotine and smoke are two of thousands of damage-causing substances.

#56 BEN-HUR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

Alternative view... but still a message some would want to keep in mind for their kinsfolk...

Posted Image