GNW100s - 2012A chatroom for people interested in the 2012 GNW100s on 10/11 November 2012.

nsw offroad trail ultra

• You cannot reply to this topic
443 replies to this topic

#1 Ancient Marathoner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

Full details for the 2012 GNW100s, which will be held on the weekend of 10/11 November, have now been posted on the event website at www.terrigaltrotters.com.au/GNW100s .  I hope you can make it part of your running plans for 2012.

Key points are as follows:

Entry Opening Date
Entries will open for the 2012 GNW100s at 6:00am on Monday, 20 August 2012. Entries will only be accepted by e-mail. ANY ENTRIES RECEIVED AND TIME-STAMPED BEFORE 6:00AM ON MONDAY, 20 AUGUST 2012, WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. In order to be fair to all Entrants, there will be no special dispensation for late Entries from previous GNW100s Entrants. The final decision on whether an entry is accepted or not will rest with the race director. Entry Forms will be available on the Race Website from 1 May 2012.  Notwithstanding the above, Entrants who have started in three previous GNW100s will be given a 24 hour window to enter prior to the official Entry Opening time of 6:00am, Monday, 20 August 2012. That is, they may enter at any time in the 24 hours after 6:00am on Sunday, 19 August 2012 (but not before), and be sure of entry acceptance. After 6:00am on Monday, 20 August 2012, their entries will be treated in the same way as all other Entrants.

Maximum Number of Entrants
The maximum number of Runners will be 150.  However, 160 Entrants will be accepted as at the Entry Closing Date, 12 October 2012, on the assumption that there will be 10 runners not turn up on the day.

Waiting List
Up to 200 Entries will be accepted in the week after Entry Opening at 6:00am on Monday, 20 August 2012, with those received after the first 200 being placed on the Waiting List. If between 160 and 200 Entries have been received and accepted by 6:00am on Monday, 27 August 2012, then any further Entries will be added to the Waiting List in the order received. As withdrawals from Entrants are received between Monday, 27 August 2012, and Friday, 12 October 2012, the number of Accepted Entrants will be allowed to run down to 160. When the number of Accepted Entrants falls below 160, Entrants on the Waiting List will be offered by e-mail, in order, a place as an Accepted Entrant. Such offers must be accepted and the Entry Fee paid within three business days or the vacant place will be offered to the next person on the Waiting List. It is likely that the maximum number of Entries will be exceeded shortly after Entries Open, so potential qualified Entrants are encouraged to get their Entries in early.

Entry Closing Date
Entries will close at midnight on Friday, 12 October 2012.

I hope to see you in November.

Dave.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 flyingemu

it's Sir emu to you...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

Thanks Dave. Will be there again this year :)

#3 Kathymac

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

I have been considering entering this run but I have heard stories that it is the toughest 100 miler is Australia.
Having just finished the Alpine Challenge which I can only describe as brutal somebody please tell me it is not true - surely it is the second toughest!
Has anybody done both and can comment?

#4 Paul Every

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

Congrats on your run, Kathy,

I am yet to run the Alpine, but I am sure that will receive a unanimous "Yes, you can do GNW" from all those who have done both races. I will leave the course comparisons to those with Alpine under their belts.

You will be a lot more experienced runner than you were going into Alpine, by the time GNW rolls around. Not only will you have all the prep you invested in Alpine in your legs, and another 7 months of training, but also the invaluable experience of having completed Alpine as well. That is something you didn't have last Friday, which we be a huge asset for your second 100.

#5 PlodderForts

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

I am considering the miler after just completing my first 100k,  can anyone provide advice on this event.
Can I train on the whole of the course? I know there is no substitute for course knowledge

Looking to use Glasshouse as a training run with this race being my Grand Final for the second half of the year
I will start to set out a new program now to ensure I am adequately prepared

Also if anyone can let me know of some camping spots on the course that I can use during training

cheers
Plodder

#6 Mick

Stick man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

You can train on the whole course.

You can camp just about anywhere with the exception of some private property the course goes through, and it probably wouldn't be that great on the side of some of the road sections.

There are nominated camping spots on the GNW maps, but most of these are just clearings where it is safe to light a fire. There are only a couple of spots that have toilets and tank water (eg Heaton, Basin).

Most of the Check Points in the GNW race are where people start / finish their runs as they are accessible by car. Getting a few together and doing a car shuffle allows you to train a longer section in the race direction, but it does take up a lot of time and the regulars now seem to do more Out and Backs.

On the miler course you will find shops at Heaton Gap, Yarramalong, Somersby, and Patonga.

There are some great bush sections, enjoy !

#7 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

Last year I was time out at the last water drop at about 165k. Surely this year I can find that extra 10 minutes to make it by 3.00pm. My run from CP4/CP5 could not be as bad this year as it was last year. Or indeed the run into CP4 was a slow plod.

#8 BrendanP

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Ok, so heading into GNW 100 miler again this year. For those there who have done it before with or without a pacer. I'm hoping to have one but unsure I'll find someone to do the last 73 with me, in which case, which leg is the most vital to have a pacer for (if at all)?

#9 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

If you want to use a pacer but only for one leg I would go CP4 to CP5. Generally middle of the night and toughest to keep focussed and moving well.

#10 PlodderForts

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

Thanks Mick,
For the info about the course.

I will hopefully get some runs and some hikes over the long weekends to familiarise myself with the course.
I am presuming the trotters do some leadup training runs on the course?
Are City slickers invited?

#11 Ultra168

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

A certain latte drinking city slicker has owned this race for the last 3 years. All the info you need about training and training runs check in here regulalry -  http://ultra168.com/...orth-walk-100s/

#12 otisr

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:17 PM

I dont think you need a pacer, but that is because nobody will pace for me.  Everytime i ask, they say "how far and when".  I reply - "oh, about 70 plus kms, and around 8 - 10pm start at night in the middle of yarramolong !!!"  They say - "What !!!"

If you know the course, you can do it solo.  But if not, then a pacer could come handy.  Plus, those at the pointy end use a pacer for that extra motivation.

I do suggest training runs on the course, as there are sections that can be a little light on markings and many have taken the wrong turn.

The miler is a long way, and if it is a hot one, 10 mins lost early can mean a real challenge to meet the later cutoffs.

But, it is the best challenge around IMHO.

Otis

#13 Brick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

View PostUltra168, on 01 June 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

A certain latte drinking city slicker has owned this race for the last 3 years. All the info you need about training and training runs check in here regulalry -  http://ultra168.com/...orth-walk-100s/
Is he going to try to make it 4 in a row?
Will great if he did with so many people improving over the last year will be interesting to see who has it for 2012.
New course record this year if enough of the fast people enter which I am sure quite a few will.

#14 Kaos

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

I've been asked to pace the final 75km, only know the last 5km, would be interested if anyone's got a Garmin trace of this section, going to have to train out there a fair bit over the next few months I think. Navigation is not my forte. any helpful hints gratefully accepted!

#15 Kaos

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

OK found the gpx files here

http://www.terrigalt...tailed_Maps.htm

anyone used these successfully?

#16 halfwaydown

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostKaos, on 15 June 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

I've been asked to pace the final 75km, only know the last 5km, would be interested if anyone's got a Garmin trace of this section, going to have to train out there a fair bit over the next few months I think. Navigation is not my forte. any helpful hints gratefully accepted!
Don't ask Buzz for directions.

#17 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

And don't ask me about the last 13km because I've never seen past the final unmanned water station ;-(
This year begins my GNW100 streak of finishes! (not streaking finishes...or the RD may update the rules and DQ me)

#18 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

You will be right this year Grant. Just start eating real food :Skull:

#19 flyingemu

it's Sir emu to you...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostKaos, on 15 June 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

OK found the gpx files here

http://www.terrigalt...tailed_Maps.htm

anyone used these successfully?

i used another runner's gpx file last year and it worked a treat :)

#20 otisr

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

I've got a feeling this will be your year Raw....as Eagle noted, swap the celery for some pizza and you will be swimming in the sand.

#21 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

subject to funds available I am in for this year.  chasing/ herding  the tailenders last year was not nearly as satisfying as I thought it would be.

Edited by Martin Dugdale, 15 June 2012 - 09:09 PM.

#22 Flyingphill

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

I'm hoping to do my first 100 miler in the GNW. If anyone whose done it before is running the Sri Chinmoy 24h next weekend I'd welcome any tips. I've got 3 100kms under my belt in 15-19 hours, but not sure what to expect. Phill :)

#23 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:42 AM

@Eagle and otisr: I know you're tongue's in cheek, but it wasn't "what" I was eating, but that I forgot to eat before the climb up from Piles Bridge. Then I got really slow (burning more fat comes at a cost) and mistook it for fatigue, while watching the cutoff time slip away. I didn't realise til after the race that I hadn't eaten anything for ages in that final stage of the race.
From my soapbox: I see everywhere I look what real food does to people. I don't want to take life or eat junk to stimulate myself through a race, then get fat and arthritic with heart disease. I'd prefer to stay friends with the animals and do GNW100s with a clean engine and clear conscience.
Fortunately we all get to choose our own adventure and I look forward to seeing how 2012 pans out for each of us. So far I'm loving it :)

Edited by RawAussieAthlete, 16 June 2012 - 02:49 AM.

#24 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:47 AM

@FlyingPhill: I'll be at Sri Chinmoy 24hr and GNW100s. Maybe you'll run 100 miles at Sri Chinmoy, then GNW100s won't be your first.
My advice:
1) Get as much sleep and rest as you can in the week leading up to the race. I reckon you want to be awakening naturally feeling well rested without using an alarm.
Any extra nerve energy you can bring to the race from catching up on sleep will pay big dividends in the late stages of the race.
2) Make sure you do step 1 :)

Edited by RawAussieAthlete, 16 June 2012 - 02:52 AM.

#25 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:16 AM

Grant
I respect and admire your dedication to a particular lifestyle that I am sure many aspire to but do not do.

Flyingphil
I will be doing the sprint option at Sri Chimnoy. I am happy to talk to you about GNW having finished the 100 miler a few times.

#26 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

Grant, would love to see you finally snag a finish, we all know you have been trying for so long now.
Just a thought, Have you looked into liquid nutrition products like Hammer Perpetuem. It's vegan?
Personally has helped me, particularly at keeping my energy levels high and stable with less slumps.

See you in Nov if not before. :)

#27 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

Eagle you're a legend I have great respect and admiration for. I'll never forget in the ridiculously hot year (2006?) where most of the field dropped at Congewai.
You went past me and quickly disappeared into the distance while I was melting down, midway along Georges Rd, like I was standing still...probably because I practically was standing still ;)

View PostEagle, on 16 June 2012 - 06:16 AM, said:

Grant
I respect and admire your dedication to a particular lifestyle that I am sure many aspire to but do not do.

#28 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Spud, Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Everything you're doing is obviously working for you.
But I have complete disinterest in those processed, refined products.
I'm not willing to do what I consider would be exchanging long-term health for short-term gain.
I know taking some of that stuff a few times a year wouldn't kill me, but I guess I'm a purist...which is part of the joy for me in getting out on the trail with very little between me and nature.

When it comes to nutrition I think shelf-life => health-strife.

View PostSpud, on 16 June 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

Grant, would love to see you finally snag a finish, we all know you have been trying for so long now.
Just a thought, Have you looked into liquid nutrition products like Hammer Perpetuem. It's vegan?
Personally has helped me, particularly at keeping my energy levels high and stable with less slumps.

See you in Nov if not before. :)

#29 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

This will likely be my only race for the year. I am hoping breaking your streak Grant doesn't mean I have to break mine as well. I refamiliarised myself with the course last weekend but Spud wouldn't let me pat the post at Patonga. Good thing probably. Funny but it never gets any easier.

#30 RawAussieAthlete

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

Whippet, nothing, not even Spud, will get between you and the post on 11th Nov!

#31 halfwaydown

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

Bump.
If you haven't got you're entry in yet - TODAY is the DAY

#32 runhard

I just love to run!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

Done at 6am. only for the soft option though.  maybe next year will step up and be a real man!  

How long till we know if we have been accepted? Anyone know?

RH

#33 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

I am one who had the early window on Sunday to enter. I almost forgot with the post Mudgee marathon haze still present during the evening but did get it done before midnight. Now I just need to get to the start line. I admit that almost every thing I do from now on (well running related) is with that in mind.

#34 TheRidler

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

View Postrunhard, on 20 August 2012 - 08:19 AM, said:

Done at 6am. only for the soft option though.  maybe next year will step up and be a real man!  

How long till we know if we have been accepted? Anyone know?

RH

Hi Runhard

Dave's pretty quick at getting the list up, but I don't think you need to worry. The number of places has been increased to 160, so if you were on your computer doing the early shift, I'll bet serious money you are in.

I'm also one of the lucky ones. I have plenty of previous starts, my problem is not enough finishes. Don't put yourself down with talk of soft options, the 100kms is plenty hard enough on a hot day in November. Anyone who gets to Yarramalong is a hero in my book.

Hope to see plenty of people out on the course over the next few weeks. Enjoy your training, stay fit and healthy

Ridler :Cuppa:

#35 runhard

I just love to run!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Thanks Ridler!   I look forward in getting a confirmation email soon from Dave.  

Still checking emails regularly.  When it comes, it comes.  

Looking forward to getting out on the track in the coming weeks if anyone wants to meet up.

RH

#36 BennyC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

I hit send at 6:01am. I'm from central Queensland so have no chance of training on the course and must say that I am a little intimidated by it's reputation. I entered the 100 mile and hope to get a confirmation email too.

First stop - GH100 mile in less than 4 weeks.

Benny

#37 otisr

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostEagle, on 20 August 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

I I admit that almost every thing I do from now on (well running related) is with that in mind.

I agree with what you say Eagle.  I do love all the running, racing the local Vets, going for a pb at Sydney marathon and all the other runs i enter between now and Nov.  But, they all steer towards that goal of the finish of the GNW.  Having reached success in both firstly the 100km, and then the 100miler, my goals have now changed and a time goal is now in place.  Yes, i know all the track very well, but it is that energy zapping heat and those constant hills that do the damage.  New focus at the gym, fasster on the flat and roads, hopefully i can conver that when it counts.

Looking forward to seeing others out and about.

Otisr

#38 PlodderForts

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

Entered at 6:01am this morning

The second half of my year is focused on that
"One day in November"
so I hope I get a confirmation

RH
I am up for training runs on the course probably starting in mid September
Wont get there any earlier than that

cheers
Plodder

#39 trailpuddin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

I'm going to charge access fees to my trail.  I've already got the forestry guys primed to move the signs on anyone that doesn't pay.

#40 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

View Postotisr, on 20 August 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

View PostEagle, on 20 August 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

I I admit that almost every thing I do from now on (well running related) is with that in mind.

I agree with what you say Eagle.  I do love all the running, racing the local Vets, going for a pb at Sydney marathon and all the other runs i enter between now and Nov.  But, they all steer towards that goal of the finish of the GNW.  Having reached success in both firstly the 100km, and then the 100miler, my goals have now changed and a time goal is now in place.  Yes, i know all the track very well, but it is that energy zapping heat and those constant hills that do the damage.  New focus at the gym, fasster on the flat and roads, hopefully i can conver that when it counts.

Looking forward to seeing others out and about.

Otisr

This year and not any year I have run this have been focused on time except the cut off on Sunday afternoon.

After finishing the 100 miler 3 years in a row I have not had a finish with :
  • I had a DNS.
  • Next year timed out at the Basin ( I should never have started but just could not bring myself to do that 2 years in a row).So I had 2 years of getting injured just before the start and ... well you can't start this event other than fully fit and expect to finish.
  • Last year time out at the ummanned water stop at ? 165k. It is no longer unmaned!!! I was fit etc at that stage but by spending time BEFORE the stop on the phone dealing with a family accident I lost track of the time and as they say along with Grant .... it is history.
It would be nice to get one back and improve the finish rate to 4 from 7. So Ostir one focus will be to get to the start line injury free and as fit as I can AND not take any phone calls until AFTER the unmanned water stop.

Edited by Eagle, 20 August 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#41 BarefootBj

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

Hell's YEAH! I'm in for the miler.. Should probably get some training in.. :)

#42 Trailblazers

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

View PostBarefootBj, on 20 August 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

Me too, I am in. What have I got myself into? Lol

#43 runhard

I just love to run!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

Im in the 100k :yahoo: Cant wait!!  Now to get out on the course for some prep!

RH

#44 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

Should we start different threads on:
  • how to get lost and stay lost for hours;
  • how NOT to make the mistake of taking the wrong turn into the Basin; and
  • LEECHES
or should the newbies find all of that out for themselves :Tounge:

Should I add the little 5k run along Death Valley to CP2

Edited by Eagle, 21 August 2012 - 08:17 AM.

#45 Paul Every

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

View PostBarefootBj, on 20 August 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

My sentiments exactly. Lots of work to do after letting my fitness slip over winter.

Edited by Paul Every, 21 August 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#46 Paul Every

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

View PostBennyC, on 20 August 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

I hit send at 6:01am. I'm from central Queensland so have no chance of training on the course and must say that I am a little intimidated by it's reputation. I entered the 100 mile and hope to get a confirmation email too.

Benny

Benny, don't get to intimidated by the course's reputation and your lack of opportunity to train on it.

Sure it is tough course, and familiarity is an advantage, but plenty of people have successfully completed it without having trained on it. It is not a course that requires many navigation skills, more an ability to concentrate and follow directions, despite being tired.

I would suggest regular outings on the trail from German Street to the summit of Mount Archer would give your legs plenty of GNW-specific prep. Also remember, coming from Rocky, you should be well acclimatised to the first hot days of summer that often catch out many locals and Vics on GNW.

#47 YEKRUT

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

I'm in for my first 100k Woohoo :yahoo: :Praying:
Being based on the Central Coast I've had the opportunity to aquaint myself with all of the 100k course with the exception of the first section.
  • I haven't been lost - Yet - I've ended up climbing the fire trails out of The Basin on the western side ! I keep telling my training mate I wasn't lost - I just decided to take a different course that day - He still had every trail bike rider out there looking for me! :Doh:
  • The Ridler & I did Somersby to Yarramalong & back last Sunday WITHOUT a leech ^_^ The talk in leech land is that they're saving their appetites for the influx of visitors !!! :D
  • The death valley run is not something I'm looking forward to - nor the "scenic" climb afterwards.
Looking forward to catching up with many of you out there training & everybody on race morning!! :good:

Train Safe & Enjoy :db:

#48 runhard

I just love to run!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

OK,  Everyone is in and it is going to be a great day.  Im keen to get out on the course a few times in the lead up.  However, will need people to train with and show me the way.

Was going to start a GNW training thread, but  decided to post here instead.

Anyone keen to get on the course for a run on september 1 or 2?  Im thinking about 6hours (45k) or so.  If you are keen let me know.  Will need to look at logistics.

RH

#49 TheRidler

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostYEKRUT, on 21 August 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

I'm in for my first 100k Woohoo :yahoo: :Praying:
Being based on the Central Coast I've had the opportunity to aquaint myself with all of the 100k course with the exception of the first section.
  • I haven't been lost - Yet - I've ended up climbing the fire trails out of The Basin on the western side ! I keep telling my training mate I wasn't lost - I just decided to take a different course that day - He still had every trail bike rider out there looking for me! :Doh:
  • The Ridler & I did Somersby to Yarramalong & back last Sunday WITHOUT a leech ^_^ The talk in leech land is that they're saving their appetites for the influx of visitors !!! :D
  • The death valley run is not something I'm looking forward to - nor the "scenic" climb afterwards.
Looking forward to catching up with many of you out there training & everybody on race morning!! :good:

Train Safe & Enjoy :db:

And a fine run it was on a beautiful day and I only took you the wrong way once, which is a record for me. With 50+ kms under your belt you are well placed for the onslaught ahead and that's just the training. First target for me is to get to the startline.

As for leeches, they're coming I can feel it in my bones.

Ridler :Cuppa:

#50 tayebeh

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

View PostPaul Every, on 21 August 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

View PostBennyC, on 20 August 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

Benny

Sure it is tough course, and familiarity is an advantage, but plenty of people have successfully completed it without having trained on it. It is not a course that requires many navigation skills, more an ability to concentrate and follow directions, despite being tired.

how lovely was reading this!!!!