5 replies to this topic

#1 Swink

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

So I've just finished c25k and have been really enjoying the running, except for the sore, swollen ankle. The physio has given me exercises and given me the ok to run (yay) as long as I tape my ankle each time.

Now the sports tape is giving me a rash. I'm using the white allergy friendly, under wrap stuff to stop the reaction but it's not helping. The physio got grumpy with me last time I went in, for continuing to tape over the rash. Anyone have any other suggestions to stop the reaction?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Jaxta

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

You need to wait for the rash to completely clear (Vitamin E cream works wonders) and then use Fixomull or the Elastoplast equivalent under the tape. You may need a couple of layers. If you put Fixomull over the rash, it won't heal.

Make sure you remove all residue from the tape after each run to reduce anything staying on you as the rash will then come back.

#3 Swink

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for the help Jaxta. I will try that. The vitamin e cream sounds good.

#4 Docklands1980

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Vitamin E isn't the strongest anti inflammatory, aloe vera, zinc oxide, green tea are all more powerful. If the rash is an allergy, hydro cortisone is the best if you have some lying around, but suspect adhesive tape directly on skin would have caused some irritation with all the pulling on the skin and the anti inflammatory would be the only thing to help reduce redness and irritation, plus general time to heal.

I've never used sports tape before, I'd have thought tape over the top over a wrap would be better, might stop the adhesive contacting the skin and pulling on it?

#5 Spectre

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

Once the rash has disappeared, consider using a "Skin-Prep" or "ConvaCare" type swab and allow it to dry before taping. The tape will stick better and cause less irritation to the skin when you take it off.

#6 Swink

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for your help, everyone. Docklands, I'm pretty sure it's a rash because I get the same from some band aid brands (and washing powder and soap and cold air. Let's just say my skin's a bit wussy). Will be trying all your suggestions.