100 replies to this topic

#1 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

I don't usually follow the Olympics and all that and I certainly don't normally follow sprinters but an interview over the weekend with John Steffensen made me think that he is perhaps the Jason Akermanis of athletics?

In case you haven't seen it, here it is.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 johnnyboyrun

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Not the sharpest tool in the shed

#3 WetWeek

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

Maybe a combination of Jana Pitman, Anthony Mundine and Aker?

No respect for the bloke.

#4 imarunner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

He has a valid point when he talks about the rubbish set up and administration of AA, as i know it to be pretty pathetic in their support structures for athletes. However his comments on racism are almost laughable. I'd sy he is digging himself into a hole that will completely ruin any reputation that he has that isn't already tainted.

#5 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

View PostBornToRunFree, on 16 July 2012 - 10:20 PM, said:

He has a valid point when he talks about the rubbish set up and administration of AA, as i know it to be pretty pathetic in their support structures for athletes.

Although I don't really follow the sport at the elite level, I have had a personal conversation with an Olympic Gold Medalist who basically described Athletics Australia as a pathetic organisation.

My thoughts are that Athletics is a poor sport so obviously those at the top are paid very little compared with administrators in other sports. The AA CEO certainly does not earn as much as the AFL CEO hence why there is such difference in professionalism.

Just my thoughts..

Getting back to Steffensen, hmmmm well although Athletics needs a few charasmatic characters, I don't think he is going to win any fans with his antics. I echo the comments of the previous posters.

#6 Bellthorpe

草分け

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

An interesting article on Steffensen and other whingeing athletes.

#7 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

View Postjohnnyboyrun, on 16 July 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

View PostWetWeek, on 16 July 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

Maybe a combination of Jana Pitman, Anthony Mundine and Aker?
No respect for the bloke.

View PostBornToRunFree, on 16 July 2012 - 10:20 PM, said:

He has a valid point when he talks about the rubbish set up and administration of AA, as i know it to be pretty pathetic in their support structures for athletes. However his comments on racism are almost laughable. I'd sy he is digging himself into a hole that will completely ruin any reputation that he has that isn't already tainted.

But the fact is that he makes a lot more sense than most sportspeople that are afraid to speak up lest the report card is "never to be picked again" so they just play the game that the admin dictates.
As for racism, it is a prickly issue with middle class Australia who refuse to believe that they are racist or at very least subtly racist. Just don't mention the R word because then you "have a chip on your shoulder" and/or you get the put downs as above..."just be thankful for what you get and have". Any minority here can truthfully tell you unless they have their blinkers on that one's race is taken into account on a regular basis, whether it is work, shopping or just general interaction.

These are just some examples Aust US, US,

Sorry for 'going there' guys, but I am not just going to dismiss a remark that "his comments on racism are laughable".

Edited by Colin, 16 July 2012 - 11:47 PM.

#8 danish

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

Colin,

While saying racism is alive and well is definitly not a laughable comment, Stephenson claiming he is not being selected based on race most certainly is.

If he had run a fast enough time, he'd be picked. No one can deny that. Unfortunately he has not performed so he has not won selection. That's the beginning and end of the entire matter IMO.

I don't mind Stephenson and wish him well in the games, but to me playing the race card was an unfair thing to do. I will say though I head him on the radio this morning and he seemed to regret how he phrased his remarks and was much clearer in his critique of AA.

#9 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:35 AM

View Postjohnnyboyrun, on 16 July 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

yep, a moron.

#10 MG4R

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

Look, the racial comment is a bit left field. But I suggest you look a bit deeper into the issue. Athletics Australia said that only A-qualifiers would be going to the Olympics for the individual events. Now they have done a back flip and accepted Solomon, who is a great runner.

John Steffensen had been the number one Aus 400m runner up until a few days ago. He accepted he would not be going to the 400m for the individual event, because he did not get the A-qualifier. Now Solomon, who only just beat Johns time (can't remember by how much, but thinking less than .1) is now accepted into the Olympic individual event without the A-qualifier. That is a kick in the guts to Steffensen, don't you think? Steffensen performed and won numerous times in the domestic season, winning Olympic Trials etc. Unfortunately, he didn't get the A-qual so didn't get picked.

Now the cut off date originally for the Olympic team was in late June. Then it got changed to early July. Then it changed for Solomon because he ran at the World Juniors! And people wonder why John is complaining? The hours and weeks and months and years that go into training,  and because it is John Steffensen, cut him down and say he is not a "great athlete". His racial comments probably weren't needed, but that was only one comment. He is TRYING to bring attention to the bigger issue here, yet because it is Steffensen, no one cares and rather focus on the one racial comment he made.

#11 johnnyboyrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostGoodwin, on 17 July 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

Look, the racial comment is a bit left field. But I suggest you look a bit deeper into the issue. Athletics Australia said that only A-qualifiers would be going to the Olympics for the individual events. Now they have done a back flip and accepted Solomon, who is a great runner.

John Steffensen had been the number one Aus 400m runner up until a few days ago. He accepted he would not be going to the 400m for the individual event, because he did not get the A-qualifier. Now Solomon, who only just beat Johns time (can't remember by how much, but thinking less than .1) is now accepted into the Olympic individual event without the A-qualifier. That is a kick in the guts to Steffensen, don't you think? Steffensen performed and won numerous times in the domestic season, winning Olympic Trials etc. Unfortunately, he didn't get the A-qual so didn't get picked.

Now the cut off date originally for the Olympic team was in late June. Then it got changed to early July. Then it changed for Solomon because he ran at the World Juniors! And people wonder why John is complaining? The hours and weeks and months and years that go into training,  and because it is John Steffensen, cut him down and say he is not a "great athlete". His racial comments probably weren't needed, but that was only one comment. He is TRYING to bring attention to the bigger issue here, yet because it is Steffensen, no one cares and rather focus on the one racial comment he made.
I have no doubt he has valid points, and he does. But they way he articulates his responses and concerns are so far off the mark it's not even funny!
Straight out of the Anthony Mundine school of speaking and then thinking about what you say afterwards.

#12 nando

#-#-#-#-#

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

I'm not sure where Steffenson gets the idea that only A-qualifiers will get selected.  The selection policy certainly doesn't reflect this and actually states:

Consistent with clause A(3) and B(4) the Selectors also have the discretion to choose any Athlete for nomination to the AOC who, in their opinion, has the ability to achieve a top 8 position at the 2016 Olympic Games, Rio de Janeiro, provided that the Selectors are also of the view that such an Athlete would benefit from the experience of competing in the 2012 Olympic Games, London.

I assume Solomon would get selected because of this.

#13 MG4R

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

View Postjohnnyboyrun, on 17 July 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

I have no doubt he has valid points, and he does. But they way he articulates his responses and concerns are so far off the mark it's not even funny!
Straight out of the Anthony Mundine school of speaking and then thinking about what you say afterwards.
Very good point. He has valid points but rubs off the wrong way with the public. Athletes are in support of his argument (as seen on Twitter) but as said before, the way he goes about it is a problem in itself.

View Postnando, on 17 July 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

I'm not sure where Steffenson gets the idea that only A-qualifiers will get selected.  The selection policy certainly doesn't reflect this and actually states:

Consistent with clause A(3) and B(4) the Selectors also have the discretion to choose any Athlete for nomination to the AOC who, in their opinion, has the ability to achieve a top 8 position at the 2016 Olympic Games, Rio de Janeiro, provided that the Selectors are also of the view that such an Athlete would benefit from the experience of competing in the 2012 Olympic Games, London.

Solomon is a great athlete and yes, that is the reason he is being picked I assume. However, I think the issue lies with the constant back flips from AA. The cut off dates have now changed numerous times, and they did originally tell all athletes - get the A or you don't go to London. It is all very contradictory. The clause allows Solomon to go, which I think is a great because he deserves to go, but I do understand why Steffensen is upset about the decision as well. If Solomon can go on the B, then why can't other athletes go, such as Jordan Williamsz and Lachlan Renshaw?

#14 adr1an

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

My understanding is that the 800m B qualified guys can't go because Risely got the A qualifier. 400 is different because there's no A qualified athletes.

#15 imarunner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

Athletics is a simple sport. If you are the fastest runner, you get picked. Steve Solomon ran faster than John, so he is likely to be picked. Simple as that. Racism has nothing to do with it.

#16 HillsAths1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Steffenson was always a great showman and has run some great races. However I believe his main problems have been injuries that have restricted him from building on his talent.

#17 Long Arms

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

View Postadr1an, on 17 July 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

My understanding is that the 800m B qualified guys can't go because Risely got the A qualifier. 400 is different because there's no A qualified athletes.
That is correct. There is a similar situation in other events such as the women's 10000m. Lara Tamsett cannot be picked even though she has run a strong B qualifier of 32.01 (massive pb) and is only young for a distance runner. This is because Elouise Wellings has posted an A qualifier, thus Australia cannot send a runner with a B. We knew that when Lara was chasing times so are definitley not whinging- just making a point.  

So runners like Tamsett and  Renshaw have to watch the games whilst others like Breen and Solomon get to race due to the rule.... Rio clause or not. It would be nice if they bent the rules similar to how they bent them for Hunt and Dent in the marathon (who failed to reach ANY mark set by AA during the qualifying period.... Yes I know there was an IOC mark but every Australian marathoner was under the impression they had to run 2.11 or faster in the qualifying period so they got in through the back door after the Australian rules were changes after the end of the qualifying period. Note the time they needed eventually was virtually equal to the women's world record
;inheard if for qualifying marks in other events these days). For the record I am very glad that Hunt and Dent get to run; just not happy with AA's inconsistency across the board. Let's not forget the rules being changed for Lacaze in the steeplechase as well.

The consolation is that athletes like Lachlan and Lara were named in the Olympic "shadow squad".

#18 Paul Every

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostGoodwin, on 17 July 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

Solomon is a great athlete and yes, that is the reason he is being picked I assume. However, I think the issue lies with the constant back flips from AA. The cut off dates have now changed numerous times, and they did originally tell all athletes - get the A or you don't go to London. It is all very contradictory. The clause allows Solomon to go, which I think is a great because he deserves to go, but I do understand why Steffensen is upset about the decision as well. If Solomon can go on the B, then why can't other athletes go, such as Jordan Williamsz and Lachlan Renshaw?

Aside from the "Rio clause", which allowed Solomon to get the nod ahead of Steffensen, the difference between Solomon and Williams/Renshaw is that Solomon is already on the team (4x400).

Presumably there is a difference between adding an event to an athlete's Olympic program and adding an athlete to the Olympic team after the final date stipulated by the IOC.

#19 MG4R

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

I guess the positive spin on this is people are talking about athletics in Australia. hopefully someone does a good piece on Solomon soon!

#20 Paul Every

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

A question for you, Longarms.

Do you think that the selections for the marathoners should have more latitude than that for other events, given the relative infrequency that they can race during the qualifying period?

It's more a general question, rather than a comment on the discretion afforded to Hunt and Shelley's selections.

#21 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostGoodwin, on 17 July 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

John Steffensen had been the number one Aus 400m runner up until a few days ago. He accepted he would not be going to the 400m for the individual event, because he did not get the A-qualifier. Now Solomon, who only just beat Johns time (can't remember by how much, but thinking less than .1) is now accepted into the Olympic individual event without the A-qualifier. That is a kick in the guts to Steffensen, don't you think? Steffensen performed and won numerous times in the domestic season, winning Olympic Trials etc. Unfortunately, he didn't get the A-qual so did
n't get picked.

Someone that understands what he says rather than shoot bthe messenger.

When I saw JS's interview it was clear to me that he didn't blame race in this instance, because you will note that he refers to all the others in relay squad not being happy and makes examples of Tamsyn Manou et al in a similar situation not getting a call up.
The mistake he made perhaps is referencing his prior discrimination/vilification in the same interview, but still to especially those who think he is the stupid one, it was pretty obvious that it wasn't in reference to this case- food for thought. I suppose this is just the last straw for him, hence bringing up previous stuff- because he says that "he made a deal to keep quiet" which he will no longer keep due to the perceived deception by O'Brien etc.
I can see that, and with my background I can understand what he says. Enough said. If interested I can be PM'ed for examples.

Now to the actual case. There are quite a few of these selections across other sports and the affected athlete just shuts up and decides to 'be good' so that it doesn't happen to them again. So in my opinion, good on him for standing up for what he believes are slights on not only himself, but the other relay members, Manou etc and in other sports Snowsill and the equestrian selection.
There is way too much of these 'discretionary clauses' in a sport that is pretty easily performance measurable, which is serving only to aid the selectors in making 'their choice' without quantifiable reason.

What I see - as JS says- are two guys that have not got the A qualifier but the B. What is the next measurement? Athlete 1 beat athlete 2 in the Olympic Trials, a match race. So either you don't pick either of them or you pick athlete 1 otherwise what good is having a trials when it simply reverts to 'selectors discretion'. BTW, athlete 1 is also the most experience member of the relay squad, and has not been beaten in Australia in 2012. Yet he is not saying "pick me", he is saying "why pick someone that hasn't beaten me?"

AA etc are making a rod for their own back in this, and thanks to JS for eloquently standing up against it. It takes a man to do that, and to simply make him out to be a fool shows that people actually want an excuse not to see the message.

#22 Grechy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

View PostBornToRunFree, on 17 July 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

Athletics is a simple sport. If you are the fastest runner, you get picked. Steve Solomon ran faster than John, so he is likely to be picked. Simple as that. Racism has nothing to do with it.

Not always. I have known a few very fast runners who were not selected in certain teams due to other reasons...

Sadly there is the odd athletics administrator with nothing better to do than abuse their power. They don't get paid much so maybe that's how they get their satisfaction instead.

Don't get me wrong, I would never defend Steffensen, he made his bed and he has to lie in it but its not always a case of the fastest gets picked.

#23 Harryo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

Steffo = me me me me

Interesting article on The Age website today on Soloman.

harry (me)

#24 Paul Every

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostColin, on 17 July 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

AA etc are making a rod for their own back in this, and thanks to JS for eloquently standing up against it. It takes a man to do that, and to simply make him out to be a fool shows that people actually want an excuse not to see the message.

Sorry Colin, but JS did not "eloquently stand up against it".

If he had, as you have in your post, his message would have no doubt been better received.

#25 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

View PostPaul Every, on 17 July 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

Sorry Colin, but JS did not "eloquently stand up against it".

If he had, as you have in your post, his message would have no doubt been better received.

If we were looking at the same interview, then I will differ on that with you. Pretty clear to me why he was upset that Solomon was picked. I receive his message loud and clear. ;)

BTW, a 'me, me, me' person doesn't stand up for others at the risk of his own career.

Edited by Colin, 17 July 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#26 Curreo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

I don't think that they way he presented himself was all that eloquent but I think that it is important that the focus be on what he was saying rather than how he was saying it. Personally I wouldn't have brought up the race thing as I don't think this has helped his cause.

I will say though that in this day and age of media training for athletes and the usual bog standard boring responses it is refreshing to see someone just speak how they feel - even if you don't necessarily agree that it was the right way of saying it.

As far as I am concerned, good on him for speaking out - I think it is clear that there are a lot of questionable decisions coming from AA and I can feel his frustration as he tries to highlight that these decisions happen regularly. It will be sad if he chooses not to run in the relay but I guess if he holds firm then it is a courageous move by him to highlight the perceived injustices.

I agree with him that it is bad for team dynamics. It must be heartbreaking for other athletes in simliar positions that didn't obtain A-Qualifiers seeing someone else in the same boat as them picked.

#27 Long Arms

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostPaul Every, on 17 July 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

Do you think that the selections for the marathoners should have more latitude than that for other events, given the relative infrequency that they can race during the qualifying period?

It's more a general question, rather than a comment on the discretion afforded to Hunt and Shelley's selections.
No, it should be equally  challenging in all events. In every other event, the qualifying standards are world class; i.e. they require the athletes to at least be in the top 100 in the world. 2.12 gets a male around 200th in the world. 2.15 will not crack the top 400. The bar has shifted in the marathon these days and a world class performance requires sub 2.10

#28 Paul Every

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

View PostLong Arms, on 17 July 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

View PostPaul Every, on 17 July 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

No, it should be equally  challenging in all events. In every other event, the qualifying standards are world class; i.e. they require the athletes to at least be in the top 100 in the world. 2.12 gets a male around 200th in the world. 2.15 will not crack the top 400. The bar has shifted in the marathon these days and a world class performance requires sub 2.10

I agree it should be "equally challenging", or at least that's the ideal that the selection standards should aspire to. And yes, the quality of marathon performances have certainly moved on in recent years.

Where I don't see parity for marathoners is that realistically, they would have only one or two opportunities to perform and post a qualifier in 2012, without compromising their performance in London should they qualify. Their cycle of of "peak, race, recover, train, peak, race" is prohibitive .

How many times opportunities are there for a sprinter or middle distance runner to post qualifiers in the lead up to the Games? "Didn't qualify? Hey, I'm racing at Oslo in a fortnight and Rome two weeks after that."

Maybe a longer qualifying period for marathoners with a proof of fitness (benchmarked half marathon time) for those selected by the virtue of an earlier result.

No selection process is going to be ideal, I'm just wondering if there was a more equitable one between relatively incomparable events.

#29 superflake

Crumbling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

View Postnando, on 17 July 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

Melissa Breen was also selected due to the Rio clause as she has plenty of B qualifiers in the 100m right on the mark of the A quaifier. Needs to run 11:20 but has run 11.21 twice I think.

#30 Long Arms

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

Paul, they had 17 months to qualify

#31 chookrunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

I would hate to think that Steffenson is advantaged because of his outburst. The selectors are in an impossible situation. No matter what they do they will offend someone, and there will always be plenty of athletes who have worked just as hard as John but missed out.
I despise his allegations of racism and I hate the way "holier than thou" members of our community use it to beat others around the head.
I drop my neighbour's 7 year old off to school a couple of days a week and watch kids of all ethnicities playing happily together and their parents Anglos, Euros, Asians and Africans all chatting away.
People will always find something they can point to as racism but I think Australia has changed amazingly in recent years and most of us do our best to not be racist.
I don't know what JS is refering to in his "Racism" claims but Steve Solomon has a bright future and JS doesn't. If they were equal, you would be nuts not to send SS

#32 Paul Every

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

View PostLong Arms, on 17 July 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

Paul, they had 17 months to qualify

Thanks. I was aware that the period was around 18 months but was unsure of the exact date.

What I was getting at, was that maybe a longer period (2 years?) for the marathon runners may allow them to run an additional race in the qualifying period, or space their limited racing to more effectively.

Edited by Paul Every, 17 July 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#33 ChloeP

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

At the end of the day, regardless of how bad the system is, if he was fast enough to be in the team he would've been selected. Sour grapes.

#34 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:39 AM

View PostChloeP, on 18 July 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

At the end of the day, regardless of how bad the system is, if he was fast enough to be in the team he would've been selected. Sour grapes.
But he was...he beat Solomon in the Olympic Trials- gee I wonder what that was for? - and didn't lose in any of his 4 Aussie races. Neither of them got 'A' qualifiers admittedly, but then you pick on 'head to head'.

What would I know, there we have his team mates in relay squad understanding what and why he said it and that the 'racism' message was taken out of context.

It's a 400m event, pick the person who beats the other over the line, simple, that's all he is saying...it is not rugby union where you are deciding on a halfback.

Edited by Colin, 19 July 2012 - 01:41 AM.

#35 Quinkin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

My view is that Soloman appears lucky to have been selected for the individual 400m, given that he didn't win the trials, finished behind Steffenson and didn't get an A qualifier. Perhaps Steffenson has a point that AA uses the rules to suit themselves, which creates confusion and resentment in athletes trying to qualify .

Steffenson walking away from the Olympic team does not impress me. A more selfless thing to do, would be go on the Aussie Olympic team and mentor Soloman with his experience, if, as suggests he hopes that Soloman might become a great future 400m runner?

#36 Tony123

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

Article re the selection fiasco in todays paper

http://www.heraldsun...3-1226429393101

#37 NKOTB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostQuinkin, on 19 July 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

Steffenson walking away from the Olympic team does not impress me. A more selfless thing to do, would be go on the Aussie Olympic team and mentor Soloman with his experience, if, as suggests he hopes that Soloman might become a great future 400m runner?
Now the next thing you say when Australia does not do well in the 400 relay it's all Steffenson's fault, whether he runs or not. What a whole lot of rubbish.
And by further extension, if Australia somehow does not medal well, it is all his fault for destabilising the team so close to the games.
He is probably very **pissed** off now seeing the other guy getting the 400m spot, so i would say he is being selfless by not competing because he is not going to
be at his best. So good on him for staying back if that's what pans out.

Please don't forget that Steffensen is a human being just like the rest of us, only that he runs much faster 400m than 99.99% of us.

New_Kid

I like your picture more than your words, but I refrain from clicking on the link despite your best attempt.

New_Kid

#38 Quinkin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Now the next thing you say when Australia does not do well in the 400 relay it's all Steffenson's fault, whether he runs or not. What a whole lot of rubbish.

What I said was that I think Steffenson might have a point about the selection of Solomon ahead of him, I am unimpressed with his actions to walk away from the team. With no A qualifiers perhaps the 4 x 400m relay will do well to make the final let alone medal. I won't be blaming anyone, I'll be too busy watching the distance events

And by further extension, if Australia somehow does not medal well, it is all his fault for destabilising the team so close to the games.

No that is long-bow you are drawing, NKOTB.

He is probably very **pissed** off now seeing the other guy getting the 400m spot, so i would say he is being selfless by not competing because he is not going to be at his best. So good on him for staying back if that's what pans out.

Yep, he is angry, and perhaps he has some right to be. Still I am not impressed by his actions and wouldn't call them selfless.

Edited by Quinkin, 20 July 2012 - 08:29 AM.

#39 halfwaydown

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

The Rio clause would make sense if Solomon was not already going to the Olympics.
Accordingly if he was already in the Olympic squad for the 4x400m - he would therefore already benefit from the experience of competing in 2012.
But did the AA explain their decision as the Rio clause or is it assumed?

Dropped onto official Australian Olympic Team website - mugshotts are interesting, out of focus, heads cut off, different sizes, different tops, some look like taken just after the flight to london - are we still an amateur sport? :)
http://london2012.ol...37192AA8499A569

#40 MG4R

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

Racial comments explained:

http://m.smh.com.au/...0721-22gtq.html

#41 Long Arms

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

hopefully both Steffo and Steve can run brilliantly in the relay at London. The team are a final chance if they all run well and once in the final; anything can happen

#42 UnfitnessFanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Did Steve post his time before or after the qualification period had passed?

#43 Ultramouse

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostNKOTB, on 19 July 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

[

I like your picture more than your words, but I refrain from clicking on the link despite your best attempt.

New_Kid

I tried clicking but Education Queensland has blocked the site. Hmmmm...

#44 Long Arms

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

View PostUnfitnessFanatic, on 23 July 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

He didn't run the A time, only the B. The last time he raced was at world juniors and this was after the qualifyig period which everyone aimed for had ended. However, this world juniors race in Spain  was before the "new" cut off date was announced by AA (they extened the period at the last minute).

So basically Steve did what he had to do. Steffo does not argue that point. He argues that he fullfilled more of the AA criteria than Steve, and I agree with him. However, bottom line is they both deserve to race and it is very cruel on Steffo.

#45 UnfitnessFanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

View PostLong Arms, on 23 July 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

View PostUnfitnessFanatic, on 23 July 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

He didn't run the A time, only the B. The last time he raced was at world juniors and this was after the qualifyig period which everyone aimed for had ended. However, this world juniors race in Spain  was before the "new" cut off date was announced by AA (they extened the period at the last minute).

So basically Steve did what he had to do. Steffo does not argue that point. He argues that he fullfilled more of the AA criteria than Steve, and I agree with him. However, bottom line is they both deserve to race and it is very cruel on Steffo.

Ahh I see, I was wondering if his race was before or after the new cut off date.  If it had been after that would have been worse.  I completely agree and think he has been treated very harshly by AA and hope they can sort something out.

#46 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Aths team captain Steve Hooker backs up the Steffensen racial vilification claims.

Also in another article is reference to Peris-Kneebone's comments in biography about not being happy that she had to sign a form to keep details of her racial vilification private....ahhh that's the way they like it..."we are not racist...and don't speak your mind if we are"....good on Steffensen for speaking up, even if not eloquent enough for some around here, of course needing every excuse not to hear the message.

#47 HillsAths1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Colin, best part of the article is where Hollingsworth says of himself  ''This isn't a suntan that I have got ladies and gentlemen I am very sure of that,''

I am pretty sure that AA are looking to the future in blooding Steve in the individual 400m, both are good runners however I dont believe either have any chance of making the final.

In Steves case he is ranked 65 (for individuals) and John 72nd. (although there are about 24 Americans in front of both so that could move both up around 21 positions, There are a number of other countries with more than 3 ahead of both Steve and John)

While looking through the World list I notice that Oscar Pistorius has a slightly faster time than both but is still 1.4 seconds behind the world leading performance by Merritt.

#48 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostHillsAths1, on 24 July 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

Colin, best part of the article is where Hollingsworth says of himself  ''This isn't a suntan that I have got ladies and gentlemen I am very sure of that,''

Mine's not a suntan either ;) ......Not sure what that has to do with the racial vilification of either Steffensen, Peris-Kneebone or anyone else for that matter...or what Hollingsworth is trying to pretend. :rolleyes:

Steffensen made it clear- and it was pointed out here already- that the vilification played no role in this selection situation--he even compared it to Tamsyn Manou missing out...and she was blonde the last time I saw her.

Edited by Colin, 24 July 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#49 HillsAths1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

I guess that Hollingsworth is trying to distance himself from the racial implications that were previously raised by Steffensen.

At the end of the day Australia are only permitted to send one athlete as an individual competitor as no one had made the qualifying standard set out by the IAAF.

The selectors have decided that Steve is a better Choice than John, I am happy for either to run, John has had some great races in the past although I would say that he has be a little injury prone, Steve is young and we have no idea what his future is going to be .

#50 speedmeup

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

John won the trials - therefore in my mind if anyone should be going it should be him. . isn't that why they have the trials in the first place? The winner should get to go. Simple as that.

Steve is young, if he's good enough, hell make it next time.

Reply to this topic