38 replies to this topic

#1 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 06 September 2002 - 09:39 AM

I am very interested to receive comments & feedback on this idea - we are about to kick it off, so now is a good time to have your say and influence the project :

The "Australian Running Guide" Project, is currently an idea that goes like this... Lots of people travel to Australia for holidays. Lots of people in Australia go on holiday, or move from place to place. Lots of people start running from scratch and don't know where to start.

Many of the questions on this message board are of the flavour : where are the tracks in Sydney .. where are the best places to buy shoes .. best places to run .. best races etc.

The "Australian Running Guide" is like a never-ending project that will pick various towns and cities and will cover this basic information. Runners can add to it (hey you missed the xyz running shop/ track etc). I imagine that a big component of it would be the best places to run section, where runners would contribute articles on their favourite runs, maybe include photos, maps, where to get water on the run etc.

The beauty of it is that the info is contributed by runners who live there, or maybe go on holiday (every time I go away I have to scout out the best sites from scratch). Also as it is a website, we are not restricted to quanitity of data, and of course can link to maps/info etc that already exist elsewhere.

I had planned to start with Sydney and encourage others to do the same for their hometown, or holiday location. (Obviously big places like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane etc) will grow over time. There is no reason why it can't get down to the level of smaller places .. like Noosa, Bateman's Bay, Albury etc.

How about I draft a template and start filling in the dat for Sydney and then have a call for volunteers to help out with other places ? For the time being I would probably have a nominated volunteer for each place to coordinate the data. CoolRunning will provide each volunteer with an account so that they can post their own data duirectly to the CoolRunning site. We have ooodles of disk space available so that we are not under any restrictions.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 26miles

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 01:24 PM

Kevin, I think this is a great project. The possibilities are endless. Each location could include maps, distances, topography,
toilets, safety, running clubs to link up with, local sports injury people etc. You should look for federal or state funding or at least their help in putting this project together as most maps are produced by these
organisations anyway. Good Luck.

#3 DannyN

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 02:28 PM

Sounds great.  I would love to (and would contribute to) hear about local info on great runs in various areas. Distances and topography and all the items you mentioned. A rating system would be great from the point of view of the difficulty of the run. Kevin UDB on Disk (for Australia) is a great tool to both measure and map routes. Perhaps they might want to somewhat contribute by allowing the use of their maps.

#4 Pasty

CoolRunner Admin

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 08:06 AM

Kevin,
I'll happily contribute to Melbourne info. Maps, routes, that sort of thing.

#5 Mal O

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 08:38 AM

Fantastic project Kevin.  I'll also be happy to contribute as much as I can on runs in Hobart & surrounds.  Strewth, I guess now I actually sit down & think about it, where would I start ?  I suppose breaking the runs into categories based on time/distance or location would be an idea.  For example, a tourist staying in the middle of the city (with no access to a car) will want to know about the short-medium distance runs that leave from(& return to)the city center.

(Hmm, and as I write this I can see a large, ugly snow cloud covering my favorite running spot, Mt Wellington.  Snow down to 500m!!when was the first day of spring agin ?)

cheers

Mal.

#6 PJ

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 08:56 AM

Kevin, fabulous idea. I imagine you would have not much trouble getting site sponsors either. Do you think you could get this going REAL quick?   I'm taking a holiday in Kingscliff (Nth. NSW) next month and would love know what's good before I go, instead of scoping it out when I get there. This could be a tremendous resource for travelling runners. I'll be happy to contribute some of my favorite runs.

Cheers,
Phil.

#7 daveb

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 01:52 PM

kevin, i'm happy to add my sixpence worth, can cover quite a few runs in Brisbane and Noosa and loads in NZ if you wanted any there.
regds,dave
:)

#8 gunnin'

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 08:42 PM

Kevin, great idea. May I suggest that it includes a section devoted to race profiles, eg; average number of participants, type of course, typical weather, quality of organisation, accuracy of distance, and entry fees. When I'm doing a race for the first time I look on the net for any info I can find about it especially other runners experiences. I did this with Brindabella last year when I ran it for the first time and everything I read about it made me feel more comfortable about doing it. Now that most athletic clubs have their own web sites this information is much easier to access. But it's the races put on by other organisations that are hard to find out about. The necessary information/experience could also be supplied by anyone who has competed in any particular race. Say for example you've never run Puffing Billy before and would like to give it a go. You could look up 'Puffing Billy' then find out about entries, where to park, numbers of runners, how hilly it is, what other people think of the run and so on. I reckon this would be a great service to runners all over Australia, particularly if you are travelling interstate. This may also help races build/earn a reputation, whether good or bad. It will also improve the standard of races if organisers were to use it as a form of feedback (Take note 'Start to Finish')
tgm

#9 TRAVY

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 09:05 PM

Kevin, great idea. I agree with TGM.   and Danny mad some good points about topography and a rating system.

#10 Grey beard

I beat Monas once...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 09:20 PM

Great idea Kevin. One audience is the conference set, holed up in a strange city days at a time, desperate for suggestions on 5 to 15 km runs. I'd love to be able to print off a few maps before I left, for confidence & to get me exploring. I particularly appreciate loop trails in unfamiliar cities. Out & back is ok for routine training, but when you're somewhere new it's nice to do something special.

#11 jmac

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 10:09 PM

daveb, are you a noosa person?  Jim

#12 Whale Boy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 12:35 AM

jmac,

Hi, just noted your post and address. Daveb is Brisbane based - he says he'll come up for a run one day. Given I'm just down the road I thought I drop you a line.

I'm actually at Mt Coolum and train between here and Coolum/Perigean and down to Mooloolaba for a long run.

If you are interested in a getting together for a long run, about 2 hours at the moment, on the weekends please drop me a line.

All the best,

#13 shark

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 01:43 AM

Yep Kev - let's do it.

Race details is good TGM - I suggest having a link to the official site for details but certainly a CR rating from regulars.

Will be an excellent resource:

- local runs  (UBD would be good here)
- race details
- good shops
- quality medicos for sports injuries

In my Melb Marathon showbag there was a magazine for Distance Runners - had dozens of international AIMS marathons - must be big business.  I'm sure this site would be a big hitter too.

S

#14 Pabags

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 02:18 AM

Great idea Kevin, one which I am sure will be used a lot.
As a regular holiday traveller I, for one, will be looking for info from it. Agree with the amount of info that can be added into each area, water spots, races, toilets etc.
Already booked to go to Launceston next year so will be after running areas around there.
Anyone?

Whale Boy - will be in touch at some stage as once again we head to Qld in July for the GC marathon or half and then onto Noosa and Mooloolaba
Ian C   :)

#15 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:00 AM

This particular project feels a bit like the holy grail - we keep talking about it, and not a lot appears to happen. but not this time! myself and whaleboy have been working on this project on the side and we are ready for a limited "beta test" phase of the Australian Running Guide, at long last.

I think its really neat, and has a lot of potential, but we are a bit light on for content at the moment - we are looking for people to help flesh it out a bit more.

Please see:

www . australianrunningguide . com . au

Obviously keen to get as much feedback as possible...

#16 RMC

all day and night that's a long run..

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 02:43 PM

Well done on releasing this beta test. I'll get back onto the marathon guide section one day.

#17 SoLucky

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:21 PM

KT, definately a gold medal plan.
You described a probable arrangement being for a nominated volunteer to coordinate the data with each local area, does that mean that all postings flow through the volunteer? If so, how? Or would the volunteer do his/her control/editing after posts are made?
I have real limitations in knowledge of computer proceedures, syntax, etc.,but if it is within my low level of capability, I'd be happy to help in regard to Townsville.

#18 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:34 PM

the way its implemented is that anyone can edit any page (small print: you need to be logged into the messageboards first). just look to the right hand side of the page for "edit page" and click on it.

there is no central authority to go thru to approve changes.

i am hoping that people "adopt" their hometown and write about the runs etc. no need to worry about formatting or headlines or even links - JUST STICK THE CONTENT ON THE SITE - as other more geekier people (!) will come along and fix it up and put in links etc.

if you think you have screwed up, just leave a note to that effect as ALL PREVIOUS EDITS can be retrieved. Its like training wheels AND a safety net.

Try it out!

it looks a bit light on for content now, but imagine how neat it will be in a few years time!

#19 Ultraphil

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 06:05 PM

This is good Kev. You never cease to amaze me! It's funny I was just about to put a post on the board wanting info about Canberra!  But now it's there!

thanks

Phil

#20 Obi-Wan

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 06:33 PM

This is awesome Kevin, it's going to be heaps of fun adding stuff!!!

#21 weary

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 07:24 PM

I added a Kinglake section. It will be good adding content. The Melbourne Trails thread is a good place to start.

I'm a bit confused with the formatting though. It's not html is it?

#22 langswm

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:00 PM

Kevin
Any chance of sticking in a section on "International Runs"? I travel a lot and consequently always on the lookout for places to run while overseas (especially Europe). I would be more than happy to add my experiences for some of the major cities I have run in overseas.

#23 ladyjove

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:07 PM

quote:

Originally posted by adw:

I'm a bit confused with the formatting though. It's not html is it?

It's not html, it's wiki. It is meant to be easy for anyone to add content. Like KevinT said - just put content up there and let geeks format it.

there is a link to a guide on how to do the formatting on the side near the edit button.

#24 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:42 PM

I wasn't planning on adding international runs - I expect over a coupe of years we could do a bloody good job on the Australian side, but internally it's a lot bigger and not much hope of being complete.

I did put the link on the right hand side of the runningguide pages to run the planet who do a reasonable job for worldwide runs. i have been in contact with them since 1996 (!!) and they are decent people, so would encourage you to go there.

adw - the small downside is that the formatting is not html, but a wiki format. however if you see a page with say a link on, hit edit page and investigate how its done - its pretty simple.

the upside is anyone can edit any page.

i encourage the spellcheckers and grammar nazis to go forth and fix up !

#25 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:54 PM

I just reformatted the links in the Kinglake page - if you re-edit the page you will see how its done. really. quite simple.

#26 RunnaLittle

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:57 AM

This sounds fantastic Kevin - Kind of like the Lonely Planet only in a pair of runners.

#27 SoLucky

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 03:33 PM

Lady Jove, Wow! You were quick off the mark and put up a good base for the Townsville page. Looks like you've lived here in the past(?) and must have enjoyed your time in the Tropics.
I've made some of your info more up to date and will continue to add.
Keep up the good work.

#28 ladyjove

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 04:36 PM

quote:

Originally posted by SoLucky:
Lady Jove, Wow! You were quick off the mark and put up a good base for the Townsville page. Looks like you've lived here in the past(?) and must have enjoyed your time in the Tropics.
I've made some of your info more up to date and will continue to add.
Keep up the good work.

wow how cool is that - i didn't know there was cold water bubbler on castle hill! yeah i used to live in Townsville. That content i put up was something i already had jotted down in my note book so wasn't much effort.

Fantastic idea. You can even learn more about an area you are already familiar with - who knows - there might be a really cool place to run nearby that you might not have considered before.

great for planning runs while away from your usual 'hood'... fantastic fantastic fantastic....   :D

#29 SoLucky

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 04:10 PM

KT, would it make sense for the Australian Running Guide to appear on the Main Menu?
It might generate more activity and locality information. Stoke it up, all that information is out there in people's heads, this would be a good way to share it with other runners.

#30 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 11:19 PM

Absolutely of course.
However, I wanted a limited release this week or so, just to confirm that people can access, can update etc.
I have some ideas to promote far & wide as I reckon it is just a great idea. But am keen to get feedback and fix any obvious issues.

#31 danieljohngreen

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 04:03 PM

Kevin

Outstanding idea. I love it. I will be onto everyone I know to fill in as many gaps as possible.

One problem that I might envisage is for people like myself who tend to make accidental mistakes. I was just trying to add a race in Canberra and wiped all of the information for Canberra by mistake. Lucky I hit undo and it came back. However it might be good to have some method of backing things up so that they cannot be deleted, by accident or on purpose. You have probably thought of this already, but just thought I would point it out.

I really like this idea and great that you have had the time to formulate a way of making it happen.

Regards
Greeny

#32 danieljohngreen

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 04:08 PM

ps. also I forgot to say that Physio's/massage therapist/local sports stores/gyms would all be great people to approach for advertising on the local page for that area.

I know a large number of people that would pay $200-$400 a year for this type of advertising for the local area page. If you have 60 local areas in NSW alone, that is some good potential income for the site??

Regards
Greeny

#33 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:08 PM

Greeny - even if you deleted the whole page and saved it, it is easy to recover. technically possible for anyone to do. In time there will be enough "good eyes" to ensure any accidental or on purpose deletions are fixed back.

The ads-per-local area. yes a definite possibility. That's why I have called it a "beta release" as the software is not that sophisticated yet, or rather my use of it is simplified. Maybe done the line.

I am definitely keen for the canberra dudes to start filling it up!

#34 Freerunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:35 AM

Hi Kevin,
         Yes this is an excellent project.
One question though is it right for a shop or doctor etc not at all in your region to list themselves on your regions page? Myself I don't see the logic if they are not actually in your region (apart from free advertising for them)? That's unless of course Brisbane's The Run Inn or Dr Foote are actually planning to open a shop/practice here in Toowoomba?
Cheers
FreeRunner.

#35 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 03:28 PM

Freerunner - thanks for that feedback.

Whoops - in the early days we put in places and used a template that was based on Brisbane - looks like Toowoomba was one of them. That's my mistake, I will remove them now.

#36 FitzCameron

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:23 PM

check out  Run The Planet I used it for a trip I was supposed to do to Paris last week - found a really good run close to where I was supposed to stay, but I decided to injure my back instead and didn't get to go...  <_<

#37 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:30 PM

Run the planet is good - that's why I included a picture ad for them on every page of the running guide.

#38 Stu Mac

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 07:05 PM

Kevin, a great idea, another way to introduce interested parties onto some great runs.

I have included a couple of my favorite runs within the Melbourne & Victorian section and I'm sadden to see that no-one has included some info about the Warburton Trail or the Dandenong area (ie. Ferny Creek), I have only run the Dandenongs a handful of times, so I do not feel appropriately qualified to post.  Therefore I challenge someone from the othe side of the city to include some info about their fav runs.  Go on, you know you want to, ten minutes top........

#39 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 10:23 PM

Hi All,

I have added three runs to the Australian Running Guide in the Sydney North section  under the heading Pennant Hills.

It was quite easy to do.  There are some interesting runs up already.

Might see a few of you out on the courses.  

Cheers

Plu