18 replies to this topic

#1 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,396 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 10 June 2004 - 05:43 PM

This is in response to a point sparkie made.

Over the last year we were reaching 100 messages posted per day, over approx 20 topics - easily catered for on the homepage listing (between 20-30 topics are per the vagaries of the software we use) ie you could browse the homepage of CoolRunning on a daily basis and get to see everthing discussed - but now you can't - you will miss a bunch of stuff unless you look elsewhere.

However we now osciallate wildly between 20 active topics in a day (over the weekend at quiet times) to over 50 topics active during busier times ie a new topic in the morning will shoot off the bottom of the list within hours.

Sparkie asked what we can do - other than list 50 or 100 topics on the homepage, there is not much that can be done other than go via the messageboard homepage and browse the sections of most interest.

Any other ideas ?

I think that's what happens with other popular messageboards (CoolRunning is by no means the largest) ....

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 FakePlasticTrees

Orange Juice is for losers

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 06:19 PM

Kevin, the introduction of the link to active topics has been very useful. I use that a lot now, generally more than the homepage listing.

#3 Colin Townsend

veryCoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 06:23 PM

Kevin,

I know that the Search Messages function is there, but how about an easier to access scroll-list of all posts made within the last 24 hours?

Colin

#4 MaxMTC

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:24 PM

i got in trouble for starting a new thread this morning about a topic that was already up three times, but not on the home page.  Maybe removing the start new topic option from the front page and making people go in to the actual category that the message will be filed in to start the topic would help with this, as people would be forced to check if the topic is up there already.  As it stands now you don't actually have to look at any other threads in the category to post a new topic as you get the 'read others' and 'new topic' options.  Possibly  replace the new topic link on the home page with a link to a 'how to' set of instructions about searching first etc.

i got caught as i thought that if the topic had been posted it would still be current, so didn't search properly.

it won't solve the problem completely, but may cut back on redundant topics.

#5 wombatface

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:54 PM

I agree with MaxMTC when he says to remove 'Start New Topic' from the home page.  This would also give a little more 'vertical' room to increase the active topics in the top list from 20 to 25 or maybe 30!  The 'community' list doesn't need more room.  This would on most occassions satisfy daily users who like to use the home page to browse new topics of discussion rather than have them go straight to 'messages home'. 'Messages Home' does take a little work to find all the topics you're interested in.

#6 dcl

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 12:09 PM

This is just a suggestion - I have had no experience running a message board.

How about a "Hot Topic" or "Hot Happenings" category on the home page. This would include specific events (results from important races) or other significant things (such as Olympic selection announcements).

So for example "Protein supplements" or "Heart Attacks", while very interesting, do not relate to an event in time, whereas "10K World Record" does. They would stay in Hot Topics for a week or two after which they would get automatically reposted into the usual section with the same rules about relegating them down the leader board.

#7 pbig

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 12:16 PM

gnscon, a timely reminder (to me at least) about the Active Topics link! Perhaps more general awareness and usage of this would make a non-issue of the rapid turnover on the homepage list. You could even cut down the homepage list to say 10 items, then in the 11th spot have ".. click here for other active topics"

#8 Obi-Wan

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 03:31 PM

Good idea pbig, I like it, 'other active topics' is definitely a goer, I reckon.

#9 Stu Mac

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:08 AM

Kevin - 'today's active topics' is a great way to navigate the current topics, can we put this as a link in other places, ie. after I read a thread I can return home, to the Messageboard home etc, if we included an option to go to current topics that would be good.  Regarding too many topics for the home page, my only suggestion is you extend the amount, ie. let the topics go as low as the centre column.  I think the daily topics is the only way to keep abreast.

#10 wombatface

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 11:04 PM

I'm no computer newbie but have 'lost' a few topics I've been interested in adding to lately. Yes, even using the Search Box <----- I've run around in circles looking for them. My wombat brain can't remember to which category they were posted.

Because I don't get to the site every day it would help me if the 'Active Topics' link listed all topics active in the last 72 hours or even last week.

#11 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,396 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 11:21 PM

At any point in time there are around 30 topics active in the last 24 hrs. My guess is that in a week there would be over 100 - that's too many for one list.

I can try and increase the list on the homepage but its already quite daunting.

We try quite hard to make sure that all topics are filed in the right spot so if you think you've lost it then try looking in the right section - you should find it again ... easier said than done I think.

#12 Mister G

Kosciuszko Deprivation Syndrome since 2005

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 11:28 PM

quote:

Originally posted by wombatface:
I don't get to the site every day

How can you live, man???

#13 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 03:19 AM

For what it's worth.

If I contribute to a thread or want to follow an interesting one.  I put it in the favourites and in a folder called Cool Running.  Then I can go back to the thread when I want to without having to search for it.    Every now and then I export the favourites and put them in to an archive of favourites (I call them bookmarks)with a date.  I can go back and check them all later

Also with the big thread like the 6foot track which make for great reading I save them and read them off line.  Good distractions during meeting    ;)    

This does not exactly address the issue of missing topics but I just go the the main menu and read the dates

Plu

#14 MikeIafeta

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 04:04 AM

Just like you cannot cheat 42.2k, you cannot cheat CoolRunning!!!

I admit that I have been kinda lazy and just look or read what's on the homepage. BUT ... there are times when I do have the time that I will scroll through every topic and sub-topic to see what I can find that will help me on my personal journey.

It's all good to me KevinT. When I'm lazy (alot of the times), I stick with the hot topics on the main page. But when I do have the time ... I honestly do pull my finger out and go through the MessageBoard like I think most others do as well.

It's great the way you have set it up as it is. Change is good, but that's YOUR call.

#15 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 04:32 AM

Hi all,

I am back again.  True to the thread I am catching up with what has been happening on other threads.  When we talk about just running this also includes changing your mind during the run.  I went for a run after work tonight and it turned into a 19km run.  As I got going it was a good night and I thought I would keep going. (For those in the area I went from penno via the back road and back along penno road and finished of with my normal 6 km run in penno.)

Now I have had my long run for the weekend and I feel great.  I can stay up a bit later and enjoy time with the family and still get in a few other runs this weekend

It is good to have you with us on a Friday night Mike.  Have you been for an evening run yet. Before Cool running I suspect you would have been doing other things on a Friday night.

Plu

#16 wombatface

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:40 PM

Mister G, I'm livin' now man!

Was careful to get my run in before logging on though.

Some interesting solutions plu although my 'favourites' folder is a disaster area already. I hope I don't have to resort to posting something frivilous like this just to push the topic back to the head of the queue.

#17 Luckylegs

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 02 August 2004 - 01:25 AM

Too many topics for homepage ! ยป Post A Reply  

Seriously, does this mean that all would be solved if some of us posted less?  I don't know anything about solving the problem for "Cool Running", but J.C., I hope it'll be around until.. ...forever?

#18 Sparkie

Sparkie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 02:01 AM

A humourous tale - after Craig Mottram broke 13 minutes, I went searching for a post where I had boldly predicted that Craig would break 13 before Athens - an 'I told-you-so' moment.

Instead, I found these Nostradamus-like predictions from yours truly:
* Ian Thorpe would win no golds in Athens (revised prediction, 3 gold, 1 silver)
* Jana Pittman would injure herself and not make it to Athens
* The US had no good 400m hurdlers apart from Sandra Glover (she finished fourth at the US trials, with the first three all beating the seasons best)
* Craig Mottram was not a serious medal chance in Athens

I think I'll stick to commenting on past performances...

#19 Sparkie

Sparkie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 01:51 AM

quote:

Jana Pittman would injure herself and not make it to Athens

I retracted this one too early...