40 replies to this topic

#1 Sparkie

Sparkie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 07 November 2003 - 05:04 PM

I have noticed that a lot of new CR's asking for advice are directed towards particular books by more experienced CRs, which is a good thing.  

I thought it might be a good idea to have a library section on Cool Running, where people can review and recommend running books, so that new or interested runners have a central source of information.  Those that are really keen may be able to offer them up for loan.  Also, I think Amazon have a referral program, which may be able to generate a little bit of cash for Kev...

What do others think?  Like the 5km challenge, the work behind this could be outsourced to a keen Cool Runner.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Sweetypies

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 06:28 PM

Great idea   :D  
I am a new runner and I am always happy to have good advice etc.
Running plans and training schedules etc are a great help too.

#3 Pabags

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 07:56 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me sparkie. Already today have asked on another thread about a book that was mentioned during a response.
The only concern I would have is the additional workload on KT. But only he knows how it would affect him

regards

Ian C   :)

#4 Don Juan

veryCoolRunner

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 01:03 PM

Sparkie, this is an idea that's worth a further look at: a new forum for posts on book reviews and recommendations.

Not sure if more needs to be done. I'd set up a Poll to test CoolRunner interest in exchanging books and general interest in books as a source of running information.
The local library has been around for a while, and online resources are continuing to improve.

#5 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 01:51 PM

There is already a forum about books, magazines etc (I have just moved the topic here). Yes the library area is good too. I might rig something up, then as new recommendations come thru it is easy to add the photo of the front cover and link to amazon.

You are right, there is an afiliate program so that 10% or so of purchase price comes back to Coolrunning.

The Oztrack website already does this

#6 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 03:31 PM

Ok, I have started the library - there is also a link at the left hand side of each page on CoolRunning now.

#7 plu

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 04:15 AM

Hi Kevin and CRs,

I have had a wonderful time reading and contributing to Cool Running while on holidays.  Jenny will be glad that I am off the computer and will now be pleased that I get out and go running.   :D    

As it ends I thought I could make a more useful contribution.  Below is a selection of books that I have collected from new and second hand bookshops over the years and more recently through online methods.  

Running and other Motivational Books

If any books interest you let me know and I might be able to tell you what they are about or help you located them.

I tried to put the table into this message, in the same way you do for the list of Cool Runners participating in bigger events, but I was unable to do so.  I have put the table on a web page with a link.

If possible how can I put it in the message if that is appropriate?

Cheers

Plu

#8 Sparkie

Sparkie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 03:51 PM

I just noticed that someone (not me) is selling "Running with the Legends" on ebay for $3.90.

This is an excellent book, both as a motivator and training guide, and I would recommend it as part of any good running library.

Details can be found  here .

Good luck
Sparkie

#9 Corsta

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:32 PM

PLU - do you actually have all of the books in your table you put up?

#10 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 04:15 PM

Yes I do have them and have lost a few by lending. What are you interested in and if it is not a real favourite or one signed I might be able to help you out.  I can also help you  look in the right places.  I am not a book seller  :P  

Plu

#11 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 04:06 AM

Just finished my latest purchase.  Joe Henderson's The Complete Marathoner 1978.  I am sure it has been updated but it was really good to read examples about the marathoners in the 70s and 80s such as Shorter and Rodgers.  The book covers the following topics:

Magic meaning and myths
Those who ran before
Training for your marathon
Racing and pacing marathons
The halth of it
eating up the mile
Hot and cold running
Keeping the sport on course
and
Off to the races

I am no expert on modern training principles but there is a lot of good advice and ideas about running. I am sure there are a few things that have changed.

Recently, I note with interest, though not necessarily agreement, a bit of deconstruction of Lydiad's approaches - hence my next readings.

I am about to  start either Lydiard's Biography or a Step Beyond (on ultra trainig) and at the moment I am reading a chapter of each alternatively.  They are both great.

Any one else got some good readings and reviews.

plu

#12 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 01:13 AM

Hi all

I have finished  the Lydiard book “Arthur Lydiard : Master Coach”.  This is a good read which brings together all the decades of his coaching and the extent of how the approaches have been adopted and borrowed.  

The influence is far reaching and it was interesting reading about the NZ successes with Bill Baillie, John Davies, Murray Halberg, Barry Magee and Peter Snell.  Then there is his impact on other coaches and their runners such as Zola Budd, Pat C and thus Deek, Viren…. Bill Bowerman and racing and jogging in USA has obviously been influenced by a few of his ideas.

I was hoping for more information on training but I guess I have to keep trying to track down a copy of Running to the Top or Running with Lydiard.  There is a definite tone of not being appreciated in New Zealand hence the trips to Finland, South America, Canada, USA etc.

I think it must be hard for him to see his ideas used so widely and not be directly involved with coaching the runners.  It also must be difficult to be constantly challenged and  criticized and still be confident the approaches he uses are the best – especially when it takes a while to build endurance then speed and the tailor pick a runners best event.

I have only heard of the runners referred to in the book as I was only just born during the Rome Olympics but I have a few friends who would really identify with the details of the late 50s and early 60s

Well I am going to hunt for the other books and start reading the ultra manual I wrote about earlier.

Cheers

Plu

#13 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 03:37 AM

Just acquired : The Golden Mile - The story of Herb Elliot - First edition 1961 - in good condition with a very high price to reflect it. At the same time got 'No Bugles No Drums" - The story of Peter Snell - keen to start both but will have to finish an old book on Ned Kelly - another of my reading interests.
  B)

#14 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 04:38 AM

I have the Golden Mile - yes expensive.  I have been trying to get Frank Shorters's biography and the cheapest I have come across is $US85.  

Okay Ray reveal your source for the Peter Snell Book   :D   He is on my list. I hope you have not emptied out Berkelouw's Book Barn.

It is interesting how runners also read books about adventurers, bush rangers, mountain climbers and explorers. All in the library.

Plu

#15 John Dawlings

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:17 PM

Reading...  Yes, I remember that.  Something I used to do before children came along.  Now all I get to read is Thomas the Tank Engine.  I wonder if I'll still be able to read adult books by the time they grow up...

#16 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 07:14 PM

Hi All,,

Just came back from Bowral and called into  Berkelouw's Book Barn.  There is a copy of Deek there for $11 in the sports section on top of the shelves on display.  

It is there for you Smiffy or Lucky Legs if you are interested.

Plu

#17 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 10:37 PM

On the way home form the Fitzroy Falls Marathon I called into the Antiquarian Bookshop, that Ray James has referred to in another thread,opposite Bowral railway station.  

There is a copy of Betty Cuthberts Golden Girl for under $20.  

Sparkie I also got them to do a search for a few books and they have recently just sold a copy of Brian Lenton's book.

Plu

#18 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:56 PM

Hi all again,

I feel like I am the only one who goes into bookshops.  Well at least reports in about running books.

This one is for the locals in Hornsby.  

Anyway I just spotted the Lore of Running by Tim Noakes for $15. I let it there for one of you.

I keep finding books that I already have and have often paid a lot for from  overseas.

Anyway there are new owners at the "The Book Plate" 173 Pacific Highway Hornsby 2077 Phone: 94823454.  

He seemed to know all the books I was after so that is encouraging for me to finally get some of the books I do not have.  The shop is on the same side as the picture theatre opposite Hornsby Cycles.

I would not mind setting up a bit of a network of people interested in locating and getting books.

Cheers

Plu

#19 Luckylegs

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 22 October 2004 - 12:53 PM

Finally in today's mail from USA, my copy of "A Step Beyond: A Definitive Guide to Ultrarunning".   Had to force myself to put it down! Some great reading there & what good reading weather we're having!  :)    LL

#20 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:05 AM

LLs

Step Beyond update.  

I am glad it has arrived.  I too have had to force myself to put it down so I can sleep.  I am up to the philosophy of ultra running section. This is the sort of stuff I really love so I am savouring it. I especially like the way it links ultra running to religion

Wait till you read the section about the mother to be who is highly succesful ultra marathon runner who ran 62 miles and had the child - as expected the next day.

You will also recognise the post MR G put up about acute renal failure - and more.  I guess the original post was put into the book

Plu

#21 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 04:45 AM

Hi All,
The book edited by Dan Allison is a long book which I could not put down. There are a number of really good sections

Training and Racing advice

Physiology

Making history

Races and places

Ultra People

Philosophy

Humour

The book is 545 pages with this ISBN 0-9742311-2-6.

I read the book to see what is required to go to the next level. It can be read as a manual or inspiration and both.

I must admit I got it and read it first for inspiration with no real eye on an ultra. Now I feel a bit closer to a small ultra of 43 km!! I guess 50km might be a real posibility. I have a long way to go to come to terms with no sleep and a support crew.

I need something else to read. Any one got any ideas?

Cheers

Plu

#22 Luckylegs

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 03:32 PM

From Plu :

quote:

I guess 50km might be a real posibility.

Of course it is, Plu!  Sunday, 10th April, 2005.....Canberra Marathon/Canberra 50km Ultra
Marathon.    B)   LL

#23 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:29 AM

I just finished  in one sitting  Tony Rafferty It's not the Running. He is a name I remember from the 1970s when I was teenager.

I have seemed to have read the ultra runner books backwards - have already read Ron Grant, Cliff and Pat Farmer's books. Also I am now aware that there are a lot more ultra runners since I have been  reading Cool Running.  

I just wish a few of these guys would have their story told. As much as I like reading the American books I would rather read more Australian books.  

Tony seems very tough mentally, obviously physically talented and vividly described some of the tough experiences.  I particularly like the chapter on "It's not on Running".  It provided a good description of the psychology and spirituality of running.

Cheers

Plu

#24 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:02 PM

Just finished reading the  Perfect Mile  and  Why Die  on Percy Cerutty.

Both are excellent reads and worth a purchase or a read of in a Border's coffee shop    ;)    

plu

Edit: Thanks Queen Bee

#25 queen_bee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:51 PM

Plu, I just saw your call out for more titles - my partner just finished reading Chi Running and it has re-inspired him to continue running after quite a long (for him) layoff due to a niggling injury.

We borrowed it from the library and are waiting on a copy from Shearers in Leichhardt - you might be able to track a copy down in your locale if you're interested.

#26 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:04 PM

There is a new Book Review in the   Cool Running Library  of a book called Distant Runner by Bruce Glikin.  The review has been written  by a Cool Runner.

Cheers Plu

Edit: I have added a few other books

#27 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:39 PM

I enjoyed Chi Running.  I got my copy from Amazon.com

#28 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:53 AM

I remember a day when the only good books I could get were from overseas.  I was in Borders this afternoon and I thought we are spoilt with the books that are available but also with Amazon.com I just realise how much is missing in the book stores.

Tim I sat in a comfy chair while Jenny and the kids did their thing (while there I spotted soyboy) and read through sections of Chi Running.

There is a lot to be learnt from eastern philosophy.

Cheers  Plu

#29 tim

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 03:56 PM

You have to love a philosophy that thinks of running as simply falling forward and catching yourself which each step.   Not that it has made me any faster!

Man I would not like to imagine life here in Kiama without Amazon.com.  I guess I would have to simply stick to books like the Da Vinci Code.

I also had the benefit of being a member of Plu's Lending Library, which is great  :)

#30 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 04:03 AM

Just in case anyone is thinking of buying a copy, I noticed that in the library link in Plu's post above, the copy of "Fixing Your Feet" by John Vonhof is only the 2nd edition. I have just ordered a copy from Amazon which is the 3rd Edition. I have only read good things about this book. Hope they are true.
Plu, I am very impressed and envious of your personal library.

#31 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:34 PM

Hi all,

Though not strictly running but the Heart of  a Champion is now out.  It tells the story of Greg Welch.  For those who were running and doing triathlons in the 1980s will do doubt remember this plasterer from the Shire :huh: .

It is so new I cannot even fimd a link to it in the online books stores.  

Posted Image

It has been added to my library.  When I found it was available I went straight to Borders this arvo to get it. ;)

cheers  Plu

#32 langswm

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:51 AM

Thanks Plu

Always on the look-out for a good read. Greg Welsh's story takes me back to the heady days of the Hawaii Ironman, where it featured all afternoon on Wild World of Sports, with Chapelli and Gibbo. It was rivetting stuff back then and such a shame it does not get the same TV coverage today (same can be applied to the Ididerod race). Inspired me to try a few triathalons, culminating in the Geelong Olympic distance course way back in 1991 (which was the Australian qualifiying event for the 1992 Olympics). I finished about 10th last, in about 3 hours-hardest thing I had even done...then.

Ah, the memories.

#33 Bristol City FC

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:42 AM

Sparkie, excellent idea, I love reading about others trials and triumphs, I find it motivates me that little bit extra to push myself.
Is it feasible to make the library a bit more comprehensive, and include running (related) DVD's and videos too?
I've been tring to track down a DVD on Pilates for runners, but can't remeber where I saw it.

Only just noticed this thread started in 2003! no wonder I thought it was a good one!

Edited by Bristol City FC, 23 August 2006 - 09:48 AM.

#34 Hamburglar

Shooting for sub 3

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:47 PM

Just reading the Greg welsh book now which is great. Reminds me of my life's most embarrising moment...

I was working as a cameraman assistant at the 2000 Olympics. The day before the triathlon we were doing a story with Greg and Patrick Lindsay (the book's author) about the triathlon course. Not knowing about Greg's medical problems, I assumed he had retired. we were speaking about the aussies and I said to him, "I bet you wish you were competing tomorow?" He responded coldly "Yeah something like that". Little did I knowat the time, the pain he must have been feeling not being able to compete in his home town at the peak of his career.

I cringe when I think about it!

#35 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:08 PM

Hi all,

I came across this one in Borders Hornsby tonight.  I left it for someone else who might have the problem :)

Posted Image

Photo and book details from Amazon.com

cheers  Plu

#36 Vurt

1.21 Jiggawatts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:50 AM

View Postplu, on Nov 2 2006, 09:08 PM, said:

Hi all,

I came across this one in Borders Hornsby tonight.  I left it for someone else who might have the problem :)

How good is denial.

I wonder if that picture is a "real". I am trying to understand why you would need to wear 2 watches.

#37 Becky O

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:31 PM

I wonder if that picture is a "real". I am trying to understand why you would need to wear 2 watches.

He obviously isnt that obsessed otherwise he would have done his research or been reading CoolRunning to discover that you dont need a separate HR monitor and GPS, as the Garmin 305 does it all  :)

#38 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:02 PM

Hehe not to hijack this thread too-much but confession time.

I've run with 2 watches several times: a Garmin 305 and a High Gear Alti watch that tracks total elevation gain - it's based on barometric pressure as opposed to GPS and much more accurate than the 305 (as long as the weather is not changing). But being a fashion conscious nerd I wear them on different wrists.

Oh the shame  :)

Edited by Twopennys, 03 November 2006 - 01:05 PM.

#39 Becky O

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

Twopennys, you have just given me an idea for another watch us runners need (if its not already out there). What about one that tracks weather temperature and humidity levels? Surely we need one of those  :)  Maybe I'll put this forward as a suggestion for the Garmin Forerunner 400  :)

Thats it, no more hijacking from me

#40 Luckylegs

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:25 PM

I came across this one in Borders Hornsby tonight.
Plu,  I've just got to have that book!  Cool!   :)

2P...2 watches?  Me too!   :)    LL

Oh the shame

#41 plu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:54 PM

Some might have seen this ultra running book but just in case:

Posted Image

Ultra Running  with Scott Jurek

Source: Amazon.com