9 replies to this topic

#1 AJS

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

Here's a new run on Sunday the 24th March 2013 that has been added to the NSW Athletics calender. http://www.nswathletics.org.au

Goulburn (NSW) is my old hometown so I'm going to make the effort to get to this one.

With Wingello Trail Classic just down the road that makes two runs in the region.

I don't know much about it other than what is on the website but I was looking for a run around the Goulburn area (there don't seem to have been too many) and this popped up.

There must be a Goulburn CoolRunner out there who can add to this.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Long Arms

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

looks  like a great new eventAJS. Hope you can make it to Wingello later in the year as well

#3 AJS

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

Yeah, Long Arms, Wingello is on my radar, I work shifts and weekends and will need to try and get some leave or something, its a fairly long process in my line of work and not always available.

When I was a kid (late 50's/early 60's) I lived in Marulan and we used to ride our bikes to Wingello and out to Badgery's Lookout.  Also to Tallong and out to Longpoint Lookdown, we would hike down to McCallum's Flat on the Shoalhaven and camp there (we could also do that from Marulan South) - trail running and adventure stuff 50 odd years ago :).

So I would love to get back to that part of the world for a run.

#4 Kookaburra

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

Sounds interesting.  Needed a run for that weekend so may consider it.

#5 AJS

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

Also Kookaburra, I would say it is not your everyday 10km Fun Run either.  Looking at the course map and then Google Maps there seems to be a fairly tough climb up to the War Memorial on Rocky Hill on what appears to be a narrow bush track.

The first (and last) kilometre are on grass running around a large park and then there is a mixture of bitumen and gravel roads and dirt paths (along the river).  I guess thats why its  called a Cross Country Fun Run.

Should be good I reckon.

#6 Kookaburra

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostAJS, on 03 March 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

Also Kookaburra, I would say it is not your everyday 10km Fun Run either.  Looking at the course map and then Google Maps there seems to be a fairly tough climb up to the War Memorial on Rocky Hill on what appears to be a narrow bush track.

The first (and last) kilometre are on grass running around a large park and then there is a mixture of bitumen and gravel roads and dirt paths (along the river).  I guess thats why its  called a Cross Country Fun Run.

Should be good I reckon.
Sounds even more interesting.  I did a great trail run last year "Trail Creek Run" over near St Ives.  Very hard long hill and rough in sections but loved the variety it added to the 10km.  Have until tonight to make up my mind and book train, accommodation and run.  I would like to know though, given I am not an extremely fast runner, that there will be a good number of runners.  Don't want to be the last home (not that there is anything wrong with that) but always worry about getting lost.

Just booked accommodation and train, when booking run, despite on the site stating late registration fee after 12.00 midnight on 15th I am still being charged the late fee.  Interesting and ringing the telephone number, well Telstra advises the number does not exist.

Edited by Kookaburra, 15 March 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#7 AJS

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Athletics NSW E.Athlete has an item that Marty Dent is going to run, good hit out for the Sydney 10 and close to Canberra so they have him stating.

I am like you as well Kookaburra, I like few numbers around me, don't mind being down the back but just like to have company - I can run on my own any old time.

I was hoping a Goulburn CoolRunner existed and could give local knowledge.  They have a limit of 500 runners.  The event is conducted by the Goulburn Athletic Club and Goulburn Walkers and Runners and Goulburn is a reasonable sized town so they should have a bit of interest.  Plus the Police Academy is there so they ought to front up as a group.

Numbers are growing on the confirmed entrants list so I guess we and the organizers are hoping for a good turnout.  If successful they might make it an annual event.

Just reading your edit - bit rough about the late fee.....nothing to do with Athletics NSW having a finger in the pie I hope.........might check out the phone number myself.

#8 Kookaburra

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Thank you so much for posting details of the events, thoroughly enjoyed myself.  Never done a 10km that has been more enjoyable, flat runs are so boring but throw in some rough tracks, stairs, rocky paths, some mud, grass and you have yourself a real event.  Well worth the trip to Goulburn.  People in Goulburn lovely people and could teach us city folk a few lessons or two in friendliness.  Weather was perfect.  Enjoyed myself so much that after the event re-did the route so I could take some photos of the splendid views of Goulburn from up near the war memorial.  If on again next year I would definitely put my name down, although having access to results would be good but hopefully that will follow.  Also, I did get a refund of $5.00 as mine was not a late entry fee.  The Goulburn Athletic's Club rang me after I registered and apologised saying it must have been something to do with the way Athletics NSW had set up the site, no surprises there.

Edited by Kookaburra, 24 March 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#9 AJS

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, it was a great day.  Very low key but lots of fun and as you say very friendly people.  I did a recon of Rocky Hill on the Saturday and thought wow this is different. Tough event for sure. Times mean jack squat on courses like this.

The day was perfect.....how was that magic view from Rocky Hill looking down on the fog....like being in a plane.  Almost a rain forest on that wooden plank bridge. I think it can only grow from this effort so hopefully it will run again next year....it could become an iconic event.

Hopefully the results will be on Athletics NSW website as promised so will wait and see.

And wasn't Martin Dent a gracious winner.  Full marks to him for supporting it.

#10 AJS

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

The results are up on the NSW Athletics website  http://www.nswathletics.org.au.  Follow the link to Results.

They are not edited and are in random order but the times (for me anyway) seem accurate.

Martin Dent might have been in cruise mode but I would like to think that Rocky Hill knocked a bit out of him too - just to make me feel a bit better :)