GNW100s - 2013A forum for discussion of the 2013 Great North Walk 100s on 9/10 November 2013.

nsw offroad trail ultra

• You cannot reply to this topic
365 replies to this topic

#1 Ancient Marathoner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Full details for the 2013 GNW100s, which will be held on the weekend of 9/10 November, have now been posted on the event website at www.terrigaltrotters.com.au/GNW100s .  I hope you can make it part of your running plans for 2013.

Key points are as follows:

Entry Opening Date
Entries will open for the 2013 GNW100s at 6:00am on Monday, 12 August 2013.  Entries will only be accepted by e-mail.  ANY ENTRIES RECEIVED AND TIME-STAMPED BEFORE 6:00AM ON MONDAY, 12 AUGUST 2013, WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.  In order to be fair to all Entrants, there will be no special dispensation for late Entries from previous GNW100s Entrants.  The final decision on whether an entry is accepted or not will rest with the race director.  Entry Forms will be available on the Race Website from 1 April 2013.

Notwithstanding the above, Entrants who have started in three previous GNW100s will be given a 24 hour window to enter prior to the official Entry Opening time.  That is, they may enter at any time in the 24 hours after 6:00am on Sunday, 11 August 2013 (but not before), and be sure of entry acceptance.  After 6:00am on Monday, 12 August 2013, their entries will be treated in the same way as all other Entrants.

Maximum Number of Entrants
The maximum number of Runners will be 150.  However, 160 Entrants will be accepted as at the Entry Closing Date, 11 October 2013, on the assumption that there will be 10 runners not turn up on the day.

Waiting List
Up to 200 Entries will be accepted in the week after Entry Opening at 6:00am on Monday, 12 August 2013, with those received after the first 200 being placed on the Waiting List.  If between 160 and 200 Entries have been received and accepted by 6:00am on Monday, 19 August 2013, then any further Entries will be added to the Waiting List in the order received.  As withdrawals from Entrants are received between Monday, 19 August 2013, and Friday, 11 October 2013, the number of Accepted Entrants will be allowed to run down to 160.  When the number of Accepted Entrants falls below 160, Entrants on the Waiting List will be offered by e-mail, in order, a place as an Accepted Entrant.  Such offers must be accepted and the Entry Fee paid within three business days or the vacant place will be offered to the next person on the Waiting List.  It is likely that the maximum number of Entries will be exceeded shortly after Entries Open, so potential qualified Entrants are encouraged to get their Entries in early.

Entry Closing Date
Entries will close at midnight on Friday, 11 October 2013.

I hope to see you in November.

Dave.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

There's only one A race for me this year and this it. Can't wait!

#3 sportsphysio

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Can't speak highly enough of this race! Well organised, great course and delightful folks to run with. The stand-out amongst it all was a brilliant RD who was always helpful, in control and didn't miss a beat (not just on race day but even mailing my dropbag back to me after it was left behind).

Just one request: the weather in 2012 was ideal. Could we lock in more of the same for this year?

#4 otisr

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

Ditto to the above posts.  More of the same great weather, but whatever turns up, I'll be there again.  Only this time my pacer enjoyed his duties so much, that i think he will now be a 100km entrant.  But no rest for me, 100 miler or bust again.  Goal .........sub 2?:00 hrs, and see in sunrise at Patonga ??????

Oh, and training runs with mates Scott and Graham.

#5 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Count me in.

#6 TallGeoff

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Looking forward to it already.

#7 CessnockRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

Otis, I'll be glad to do some training runs again with you & Scotty. I already know that Scotty is keen for the miler this year.I'm keen to be involved in some way, shape, or form depending upon how the year progresses. If it ain't racing, it may be pacing or volunteering in this great event. 2012 100km was my first ever ultra & I had the best & most rewarding race ever. Cheers to RD Dave for 2013.

Grahame

#8 ganabu

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Yep. My one and only running goal for this year. The big one this time. Every other run until Nov is training.

Grahame and Otis, you boys got me into shape last year so I'm counting on it again. I think the scouting of the back half of the coarse should start soon so I know where I'm heading when I'm not all there.

Grahame, if you are not running... first dibs for you for pacer duties!

As for the weather... all the prep for a hot one last year... Bring it on.

#9 Fletchruns

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

Never done more than walk a 100k in 29 hrs. (Wild endurance). Anyone any quick advice on training for the GNW100k. Done Tri's n stuff and reasonably fit. Tall Geoff if you are out there hook a brother up with some advice....

#10 CessnockRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

Fletchruns,
There will be heaps of others way more experienced than me for this one, but my best advice being a newbie from last year would be to do as much of the course as possible prior to the race & preferably with others that have done it before. Otis, Scott & myself ran the Somersby to Moonee & return trip on Sunday & we will be doing a few more trips over various sections before the race. Terrigal Trotters have some runs organised so try their website. We'll try to post on here when we have a training run planned but last year plenty of others also posted when they were getting on the trail. You need to do the sections in the night that you estimate will be night during the race to check you know the way OK & to fine tune whatever lights (headlamp/torch) you are going to use. Do as many steep & rough trails up & down as you can. Stairs would be a reasonable substitute but from my experience last year you can't do enough on the trail itself as the steps aren't even or straight like normal stairs. I would recommend doing these either at the end of a long training session or maybe backup the day after to mimic tired legs. I always carried my full backpack with all the mandatory gear on training runs to get used to the extra weight. Nutrition is the other key factor with on average about 25km between checkpoints. The website has heaps of great info for the race so go through that in fine detail as well.

Cheers, Grahame

#11 Paul Every

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

Fletch, what is your running background? Marathons, shorter ultras? How long have you been running?

When you talk tri, do you mean IM or ODT?

Big difference between walking 100 km of trails and running it. Especially when it comes to GNW.

#12 Fletchruns

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

thanks Paul..I have done an IM and a load of halfs, tackled six foot and a couple o marathons too. I guess my main worry is getting the training in within the next 5 months relatively injury free...from a base of 20K running per week (plus 200K riding per week).

Also I have a shockingly bad sense of direction so wondering how easy it is to get lost here and whether there is good markings along the way etc..??

Really appreciate any more guidance you (or anyone out there) can give me...

Cheers again

Fletch

Thanks also to Cessnock runner....Encouraging words!!

#13 TheLogicDump

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostPaul Every, on 28 May 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

Fletch, what is your running background? Marathons, shorter ultras? How long have you been running?

When you talk tri, do you mean IM or ODT?

Big difference between walking 100 km of trails and running it. Especially when it comes to GNW.
I am not planning on doing GNW100 this year but I was wondering how this compares to TNF100? I ran NF100 this year and managed to finish in 19h 30m. I took the day very easy as I had a very iffy leadup (<100km running for 5 weeks before due to knee issues and was out for 3 days from work with a bad flu a week before the race) and had no idea how I would go. With a good lead up to the race I believe I could have taken at least 1 hour off my time.

How do they compare?

#14 HIROSHI

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

I'm HIROSHI, a Japanese trailrunner, age 34years. Nice to meeting you.!! I love Australia!!
As only "a first japanese finisher", I'm plannning to challenge THE GREAT NORTH WALK 100.
Still bothering 100km or 100mile, but  I may choose 100km because I don't know well
about other countries trail and read not clealy course marking but a few by a part of trails.

Q.From Sydney, How many hours I can go to the start line?
Q.Can I get enogh full-watter and some foods for running like banana, bread, something?
Q.My traveling suit case will be carry from start to goal?
I cannot get it until 100km or 100mile finish time even I can arrive fast, can I?

#15 CessnockRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

Fletchruns,
Paul is one of the very experienced people I was referring to so his advice is gold. As far as course markings go they are sometimes well hidden & their colour blends in with their surrounds. There are maps & detailed directions on the website which are terrific but there is nothing like running the trail beforehand (or section by section as you can). As it gets dark & you get tired it wouldn't be hard to miss some of the turns. Last year I corrected the same guy 3 times from taking the wrong path.

LogicDump, others better to answer that than me as I haven't done TNF.

Hiroshi,
I would strongly recommend that you stay somewhere close to the start. The website (refer to post #1 from the Race Director) has sections about transport & accomodation that explain this.
There is a nutrition section on the website & the checkpoints are well stocked but you will need to carry enough water & other nutrition that you will need to get you between the checkpoints. The checkpoints are approximately 20-30km apart (refer to the website maps & directions) & the weather can get very hot so you will need to make sure you have a hydration & nutrition plan & be able to carry what you need with you between checkpoints.
For luggage refer to the website section on Drop Bags.
Good luck

Cheers,
Grahame

#16 Front242

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

any advise on how to avoid getting lost???
i am already getting lost on training runs around centennial park in the city! i cannot imagine how my internal navigation system works after running xx kilometers on unknown trails...

#17 Mile27

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

View PostFront242, on 24 June 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

i am already getting lost on training runs around centennial park in the city! i cannot imagine how my internal navigation system works after running xx kilometers on unknown trails...

Accept that getting lost is part of the race. Most likely it will happen.  Even Brendan got lost last year.

To avoid it you need to watch the trail closely, it is signposted relatively well but easy to miss the signs as you are running along.

Its all part of the adventure

#18 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

View PostFront242, on 24 June 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Yes you need to stay alert at all times. Spend plenty of time reading the instructions and looking at the maps before the race. Try to always know where you are on the course and where you are on the map and directions.

Personally I number every direction and then try to put those numbers or as many as I can on the maps so that I have a quick way of determining where I am with regard to the three.

Oh and be careful of just following another runner.

#19 halfwaydown

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Get to know the course.
In the 100km course the key area to explore before would be 10km either side of and into/out of The Basin checkpoint
In the 100mile course the key area to explore is Yarrammalong to Sommersby - in particular Dead Horse Creek.
Both are within easy reach of Sydney.

#20 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

Yes into the Basin often causes difficulties. So see the course if possible in the day is very helpful. Also after the 100k knowing how to get up and onto the fire trail well worth knowing.

I only be entering if I can complete GH100 miler in September. If that is done and I am able to get some solid trail running training in then I will. Yes I know entires open in August and GH in in September. I will enter in August but will seriously consider withdrawing if I cannot complete GH or at least drop ndown to the 100k but off course the miler is the real want :Praying:

#21 MrMagoo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

View Posthalfwaydown, on 25 June 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

Get to know the course.
In the 100km course the key area to explore before would be 10km either side of and into/out of The Basin checkpoint
In the 100mile course the key area to explore is Yarrammalong to Sommersby - in particular Dead Horse Creek.
Both are within easy reach of Sydney.
Hi front242,

Having run most of the GNW 100k over the the last few months in addition to the great advice above, another place easy to get lost in the 100k/100m is from Heaton's Gap to CP1, jungle section in particular from Heaton's Lookout to the Hugging Post then the short section just after that with a bit more jungle it is slow and easy to get lost.  We had a bunch from Terrigal Trotters run it a few weeks ago and half the runners got lost.....   If you get the chance to train on sections of the GNW even better...

cheers Mr Magoo

#22 otisr

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

Its all part of the mystique of this event - keeping on course.  get lost on event day / night and you could lose kms.......hahahahahaah :Skull:

#23 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

I have run it a few times now and still manage to miss a turn or 3 most times. In fact I reckon I have missed a turn somewhere every time. Realising the mistake and getting back on course are the important steps towards finishing. The directions are faultless. Have them handy.

#24 Front242

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

thx for the great feedback!!
Seems this is the cook book for "don't get lost on GNW100 for dummies"
  • Accept that getting lost, is part of the race !!!
  • Spend plenty of time study maps, google earth, map my run,...
  • explore +10km either side of and into/out of The Basin checkpoint (CP3)
  • explore Heaton's Gap to CP1, jungle section in particular from Heaton's Lookout to the Hugging Post
  • be careful of just following another runner
  • read as many as possible "get lost at gnw100" blogs and study why they got lost
I think accepting that I will get lost and it is a part of the race, is what I need to visualize and plan into my race.

Again, thx a lot for your feedback!!!!
Sven

#25 ShanksPony

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

Hi - i'm planning on walking (sorry not up to your activity levels!) from Staples Lookout to Mooney Mooney Store tomorrow.  I've not been on this route before so could anyone tell me whether i'm likely to run in to any creek-crossing dramas (bearing in mind all this rain!).  eg Mooney Mooney creek?  Thanks heaps if you can answer!......

#26 Ancient Marathoner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Entries open for the 2013 GNW100s in just over four weeks.  You can get more details at http://www.terrigalt...ates/130713.htm

#27 BarefootBj

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:33 AM

Hi,
I thought I'd just chime in here as someone who (somehow) completed the miler last year (with 10 minutes to spare..) as a miler virgin and with no experience on the course. I ended up doing around 180km due to getting lost on numerous occasions and at some point, after finding the trail again, started running the wrong way.. Luckily I met some experienced GNWers who pointed me in the right direction.. The hardest part was absolutely dead horse creek (after the 100k check point) as it's at night and last year there was a massive tree over the trail.. If I was doing this again, I would definitely do this section in training (in daylight :)). Also keep in mind that there are some sections of the GNW that goes off the main trail and are thus not part of the race, complete with course markings none the less.. (!) I found this out the hard in the section from the last checkpoint to the unmanned water station (that's manned). There's a right turn with a big sign on it that goes up next to a shooting range but it's not very obvious (with 150km already done, not much is..) and it's easy to go straight and end up at a beautiful little picnic area with a waterfall, however it sucks big time if you're already pressed for time..

My suggestion would be to do as much of the trail as possible in training - to the point of going down prior and doing it over a weekend or so as this will greatly reduce the chance of getting terribly lost.. Other than that - it's a truly beautiful course with amazingly varied scenery and possibly the best place to finish of any Australian ultra.. Remember, as Ultra168 said - it's all about the beach.. :)

#28 Becrunsbeyond

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

Great 2 c a thread 4 this. I'm hoping to get in, but with only a few events up my sleeve not sure how that will go. Anyway, fingers crossed because this is an event that i dont think can be missed, and from alot of posts already up, that really  stands out. 100k this yr and the 100mile next ( all goin 2 plan ofcourse)

#29 CessnockRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

Welcome Bec,

Yes don't miss this one. I was a newbie last year, in fact my first ultra ever, & now hope to step up to the 100miler.

A few training runs from Rowena to the course will be adequate training for you I'm sure haha. :Star:

Should start to see some activity from now with people doing some training runs on the GNW

Cheers,
Grahame

#30 MrUniqueName

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

I'm aiming for the 100k - I had my flights booked months ago :) I'll be flying in from Brisbane the day before so won't have time to get to know the course, but hopefully I'll find someone who knows the course and will run at a similar pace to me!

#31 Front242

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

NoNoNo MrUniqueName!!!

View PostMrUniqueName, on 19 July 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

hopefully I'll find someone who knows the course and will run at a similar pace to me!

see

View PostFront242, on 26 June 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

• be careful of just following another runner
;)

#32 MrUniqueName

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostFront242, on 19 July 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

NoNoNo MrUniqueName!!!

Haha yes I did read that, however keep in mind that I once got lost on a 3k out & back along a wide open beach - I was in the lead and missed the turnaround marker, and only realised when I'd gone about 1k too far!!!

So surely I wouldn't be any worse by following someone else? ^_^

MUN.

#33 Ancient Marathoner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

LAST REMINDER

It is now just five days until Entries open at 6:00am on Monday, 12 August 2013, for this year's Great North Walk 100s on 9 November 2013.   Entries will only be accepted by e-mail.  ANY ENTRIES RECEIVED IN MY INBOX BEFORE 6:00AM ON MONDAY, 12 AUGUST 2013, WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

In order to be fair to all Entrants, there will be no special dispensation for late Entries from previous GNW100s Entrants.  The final decision on whether an entry is accepted or not will rest with the race director.  Entry Forms are now available on the Race Website.

Notwithstanding the above, Entrants who have started in three previous GNW100s will be given a 24 hour window to enter prior to the official Entry Opening time.  That is, they may enter at any time in the 24 hours after 6:00am on Sunday, 11 August 2013 (but not before), and be sure of entry acceptance.  After 6:00am on Monday, 12 August 2013, their entries will be treated in the same way as all other Entrants.

Up to 200 Entries will be accepted in the week after Entry Opening, with those received after the first 200 being placed on the Waiting List.  Entries will close at midnight on Friday, 11 October 2013.

It's hard to say how quickly the maximum number of Entries will be reached after Entry Opening.  Last year it took about a day and the year before about three hours.  I can say that I have received a lot of enquiries and that the Email Interest List now has more than 700 addresses.

A list of Entrants will be maintained on the Race Website after Entries open.

Full details about the entry process and the operation of the Waiting List can be found on the Race Website on the  Entry Information page.

IT SHOULD BE POSSIBLE TO SCAN YOUR COMPLETED ENTRY FORM INTO A FILE OF LESS THAN 1 Mb.  PLEASE, NO 6+ Mb FILES :(

I look forward to receiving your Entry and seeing you in November.

Dave Byrnes
dave@davebyrnes.com.au
0428 880784

#34 Whippet Man

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

Thanks Dave. I imagine the places will be much sort after once again. We appreciate the hard work you put in to make this great race happen. Ninth year and stronger than ever. Wouldn't miss it.

#35 anapenteado

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

So exciting...my Coolrunning profile pic was taken at the GNW, can't wait to be back there!

Edited by anapenteado, 09 August 2013 - 10:54 PM.

#36 Becrunsbeyond

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

After alot of swearing at my dodgy internet connection, finally got entry form emailed:)

#37 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

View PostBecrunsbeyond, on 12 August 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

After alot of swearing at my dodgy internet connection, finally got entry form emailed:)

Pleased to hear. Fingers crossed you are accepted and see you at the start (think posistive). Which distance?

#38 Mr_J

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

This thread is much quieter than I was expecting it to be today... The calm before the storm perhaps. I wonder what demand is like for this years events.. How quickly they will fill up... is 3 hours the record?

#39 Becrunsbeyond

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostEagle, on 12 August 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

Pleased to hear. Fingers crossed you are accepted and see you at the start (think posistive). Which distance?

I'm tryin 2 think positive. Quite nervous and excited. Chose 2 enter the 100k option. If everything goes 2 plan i would like 2 do the 100 mile next yr, and make it an annual event:)
Hoping i get 2 run some of this course with u Eagle:)

#40 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostBecrunsbeyond, on 12 August 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

I'm tryin 2 think positive. Quite nervous and excited. Chose 2 enter the 100k option. If everything goes 2 plan i would like 2 do the 100 mile next yr, and make it an annual event:)

That would be a pleasure. The 100k option is not easy but if you run it wisely it can be done. Out too fast and then end might be at the Basin at about 80k or worse early afternoon atthe school at 50k. It all has to do with not just how fit you are but how you get through the first 2 sections taking into account the weather. The weather can be a huge factor running the 6k or or so along the road into the school. Many runners on a hot day get coked in that section and cannot get out of CP2 at the school.

Train consistantly and we will keep in touch.

#41 Kaos

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

I think it's quiet because none of us know if we got in yet. If I get in, this will be my first 100 miler. Need to learn the first 103km, I know the back 73km really well!

#42 SteveDrummond

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

Entry submitted for the 100mile this morning.  Keep checking the inbox impatiently for a reply from Dave to see if I got in. He does an amazing job and I'm thankful my inbox doesn't look like his would today!

After doing it in 2011 as my first miler I sadly couldn't run it last year but looking forward to getting back up there in 2013. Fingers crossed.

#43 Ancient Marathoner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

Sadly, a power outage on the NSW Central Coast is delaying the processing of GNW100s Entries.  I'm still hoping to email entry confirmations later today. Dave.

#44 Ancient Marathoner

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

The maximum number of entrants has been received, and entries for the 2013 GNW100s are now closed.  A list of Entrants can be seen at http://www.terrigalt...0s/Entrants.htm.

Dave.

#45 Moreton65

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:46 AM

Just got my confirmation for the GNW100 - it will be my first 100 Miler! And this is my first post here. Time to ramp up the training and studying!

#46 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

my entry is in , and accepted !

#47 Becrunsbeyond

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

View PostEagle, on 12 August 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

View PostBecrunsbeyond, on 12 August 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

That would be a pleasure. The 100k option is not easy but if you run it wisely it can be done. Out too fast and then end might be at the Basin at about 80k or worse early afternoon atthe school at 50k. It all has to do with not just how fit you are but how you get through the first 2 sections taking into account the weather. The weather can be a huge factor running the 6k or or so along the road into the school. Many runners on a hot day get coked in that section and cannot get out of CP2 at the school.

Train consistantly and we will keep in touch.
Just looked at entrant list, i'm in:) incredibly stoked. First time for this event, planning on many more yrs. congrats 2 everyone that got in. It was a great start 2 the day lookin at that list.

#48 WellSupported

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Wow this forum is slow today considering the entry list is out. I for one am very excited. Time to ramp up the training - at least once I get over this cold!

#49 Mr_J

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

Agreed - very slow and I am also super excited to be taking part in the race. I've been thinking about this event for sometime now, and it feels good to be making it happen. I'm going to get no experience of the course before hand, and look forward to reading peoples advice and experiences in this thread and prior year race threads between now and November.

Pretty sure I will be thinking about this race from now till race day!

Edited by Sylvester, 13 August 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#50 WellSupported

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

Sylvester, I was in your position last year, and ran the miler without any experience on the course. Don't stress too much about it. The biggest issue is getting lost, which almost everyone does to some extent anyway, even those with knowledge of the course. There are limited markings, so you need to follow the course directions and map religiously and above all stay sharp when you're exhausted.