How was your run today?Update your training here, for those who don't fit into C25K or other specific event threads

• You cannot reply to this topic
21142 replies to this topic

#1 TwoGullies

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

How is your training going?
Where did you run today and how far, fast, well etc?
Do you have any niggles or injuries?
Do you have a goal you are working towards?
What recent achievements are you proud of?

I thought it would be good to have a thread for motivation, encouragement and sharing of training experiences for those who don't fit the C25K thread (graduates!), or the threads where runners are aiming for a major event like a marathon. If you are slow or new to running, introduce yourself and post your experiences here. If you are fast fit and fabulous you are also welcome to join in :D

I'll begin...
I've decided to pull back on the running a bit and leave my late-July running goal unconfirmed for a while. I'm concentrating on letting my body take more time to adapt to running and not get injured. parkrun 5k on saturday just didn't feel comfortable in the hamstrings and I felt heavy and slow.

So for the last 2 days I've gone for beautiful long walks up some steep trails to get my HR up, then after about an hour I run some very short bursts (on the flat) while trying to maintain good posture and alignment. I think I ran pretty well - just no more than 20m!! The best part was climbing up through the fog into the sunshine.

I am proud of running 7 out of the last 10 days!!

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 jjcs

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

Goals are: City to Surf 12km <60min. 5km under 23m 30s in the next month or so (happy to do it in training).

Need to get off my arse and start going on some longer runs. At the moment I'm just popping out for 5km after or before work. Will also start to do some interval training.

#3 saynotoseachangers

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

Goals: To recover from nagging calf strains and runners knee ailment.
After a great start to the year where I achieved pb's for both 5 and 10kms I pushed too hard 3 weeks ago which has now stopped me from achieving a pb at the GCM.
Really happy today as this morning I ran 10 x (1 minute jog followed by one minute walk) without an owie or a sudden tightening in the calf.
Priority at the moment is to run a beep test at a minimum level of 7.5. Once this is achieved hopefully I can reset my goals towards the Coffs Harbour running festival.
Happy training

#4 TwoGullies

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

jjcs that's a nice couple of goals. Let us know when you break the 23:30. My 5k goal is to break 27:30 and I think it might happen in the next few months. My PB of 27:40 was achieved in ideal conditions so it will not be easy to beat.

sayno - recovering from injuries is a great goal!! I hope you have the patience to recover properly. No pain this morning sounds like a good sign. Is the beep test something you have to pass?

I had yoga this morning and felt the strongest I ever have in some of the poses - strength and stability stuff at home is beginning to pay off already. My hamstrings feel fine today (although haven't run). My goal to prevent injury and get my body used to running is still no. 1.

Happy and healthy training.

Edited by TwoGullies, 11 June 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#5 cag123

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

Training  is coming along slowly.
I've had a nagging calf/shin injury for about 6 weeks now and it just doesn't want to go away.  I don't help it either when I run when the physio says I shouldn't...
.So I've been interstate for a holiday/other sporting comps for a week and only managed to fit in 2 runs.  Turns out the time off did me some good and I'm feeling much better.  No tightness in the calf and no shin pain.
Got home last night on the red eye and managed 3 hours sleep and woke up really wanting to go for a run.
I ran one of my regular routes that follows the coastal path and it was fun!  Steady run 6.04 min/km for 13km.  NO PAIN!

Main goal is the City to Surf Half in August.  Would also like to drop my 5 and 10k times a bit...sub 25 and sub 55 are the goals.

CAG

#6 toolittletoolate

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

6km run at lunch time which included a lap of the Tan, got out and back to the office in 30 mins so happy with the pace.  Starting to get back into the running after a few months of missed runs mostly due to new baby and lack of sleep.  Feeling pretty good, no injuries and extra running meas better sleep at night.

#7 jmem

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

run today was 5 k on the treadmill at 530 am .  urggggh i hate that damm thing (although i did knock a minute off my time. from 37 minutes to 36 mins go me the giant tortise) one day i might break a 30 min 5 k  but its not a big goal as that means almost certain injury.
8 k tomorrow in the great cold dark outdoors.  i am not minding the early runs but by afternoon i am seriously in need of a nap.
immediate goal is run melbourne half in july and then extending training and hopefully surviving for melbourne marathon.   very slow slow build up and prey i can stay injury free,
well done everyone who is chiping away at their goals,

#8 Quill

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

Haven't run for a month since I gave myself overtraining/overreaching. Meant to take two weeks off, but life got in the way/insert excuse here. Just went for a nice easy 5k and it feels fantastic. Legs seem to have really appreciated the (overlong) layoff. Felt strong and fluid. Easy running for a month to shift the weight I put on (ate everything in sight too - hey the physio recommended upping my food intake to help!), then onto speedwork etc again.

Any tips for coming back after a month? How much reduction in volume should I have to avoid injury?

#9 DirkS

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

Just back from a nice 20km run in 1:37:00. Tripled my total distance i did last week. It feels good to be back doing long runs. This was my longest since the SMH Half last month. Next race is the M7 Marathon at the end of July. No specific time goal. I expect to be maybe 10 mins slower than at Canberra due to the hills.

#10 RodN

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

ran 15k with 4 by 1.25k tempo efforts in the middle. felt nice and strong, no injuries but sore calves alot, i can feel an easy week coming.Aiming for melbourne marathon.

#11 TwoGullies

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:29 PM

I'm loving reading all the posts here. Good luck to all coming back from injury. It seems that rest actually works.

cag and Quill - must be great to have running feel good again. Maybe we should rename this the rehab thread! Calves seem to be a theme.

TLTL and jmem - I've noticed the sleep effect too. My sleeping is so much better when I run regularly, so easy to drop off at night. 1 min PB for 5k - that's good jmem!

Dirk and Rod - some serious and inspiring training there. Good luck for your marathon training.

#12 Icehouse

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

Yesterday I struggled through a 10km run on the treadmill in an hour. Today I  did a 26km run in 2 hours and 15 minutes on the footpaths on my usual route. Only 5 days away from marathon, this Sunday. I am trying to cram in as many kilometres as possible in the final days.

Edited by HyperSpeed4, 12 June 2013 - 01:13 AM.

#13 TwoGullies

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

Even though I'm pretty new to training, I'm pretty sure you're meant to be tapering HS4, so what is this mad cramming about?

#14 cag123

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostQuill, on 11 June 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

Haven't run for a month since I gave myself overtraining/overreaching. Meant to take two weeks off, but life got in the way/insert excuse here. Just went for a nice easy 5k and it feels fantastic. Legs seem to have really appreciated the (overlong) layoff. Felt strong and fluid. Easy running for a month to shift the weight I put on (ate everything in sight too - hey the physio recommended upping my food intake to help!), then onto speedwork etc again.

Any tips for coming back after a month? How much reduction in volume should I have to avoid injury?

Nice to see you back quill.

I don't know how much you should be running after a month off, but whatever you decide, listen to your body! Take a day off if you feel a bit sore and ease back into it.  Slow the easy runs right down and just cruise a bit til you've built the base back up again.  Last thing you want is to go all out trying to get back to where you were and cop an injury.
If 5k feels comfortable then maybe do that 3 days this week then add 1k to one run every week thereafter.
I took someones advice and tried to sing Happy Birthday on my easy runs.  If I couldn't do it I was going too fast!

CAG

Edited by cag123, 12 June 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#15 Rapunzel

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

Ran home.
Along main road at one point, in the failing light, an approaching bus pulled into the stop and the driver opened the door....thinking I was running for the bus.

Why else would you be out in the rain running around?

#16 TwoGullies

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

View PostRapunzel, on 12 June 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

Ran home.
Along main road at one point, in the failing light, an approaching bus pulled into the stop and the driver opened the door....thinking I was running for the bus.

Why else would you be out in the rain running around?
:D Nice bus driver!

Why else indeed. You get the Tough Princess award - well done! The rain stopped me going running today but I walked to the shops and back and it's very beautiful at the moment - the rain, light and clouds. Maybe when dinner is digested I'll go for a very short run.

Nice bus driver!

#17 Quill

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

@ CAG - yeah, good advice there. :) My plan is basically that - my 5k was run at almost exactly 6min/km pace (was my goal pace so pleased I hit it almost exactly on the nose) and that feels very easy to me now. Talking, singing, all no problems whatsoever. It's all about time on my feet to shift the weight - it's not much (few kilos) but I know the faster you run, every extra kilo counts so 3 to 4 x 30min 5ks per week, right in the aerobic zone, will mean good cardio with far lesser chance of injury and will blast that lard away quick smart. I plan to just keep to that distance and pace until I'm down to my fighting weight/fitness again, then back into it!

I notice your 13k from the other day at 6min/km pace as well - it's an enjoyable pace, isn't it? Enough to feel the freedom and wind in your hair but prudent as well. Nice work! :)

Edited by Quill, 12 June 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#18 cag123

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostQuill, on 12 June 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

I notice your 13k from the other day at 6min/km pace as well - it's an enjoyable pace, isn't it? Enough to feel the freedom and wind in your hair but prudent as well. Nice work! :)

The 13k was meant to be a "steady state' run at around 6.10/km.  I got a little carried away feeling fresh after 5 days no running and ended up at closer to 6min/k.  Felt bloody awesome, although I was a little puffed at the end of it.  My easy runs are closer to 6.30 pace which I feel like I could keep up all day.  The easy pace is slowly getting faster as fitness improves.
Suffering a little quad and calf soreness today so a days rest before having a good hit out with 5x1mile repeats with 1 min rest.  2mile warm up, 1 mile cool down.  Should be interesting.  Sunday or Monday aiming for a nice slow long run.

Sounds like you've got it worked out pretty well with your comeback Quill......those extra few kg's will move pretty quick now that you're back into it I reckon.
Good luck with it and keep us posted :)
CAG

#19 Eagle

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Nice steady 14k run around the Bay run in Sydney in the fog. Steady on the basis that it is in between a marathon last Sunday and another next Sunday. Just got to love the weeks that can be either recovery or taper.

#20 TwoGullies

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Had a beautiful session on wet trails in the nature park this morning, so lovely after rain. My permanent lumbar injury told me that it's not time to run yet so I mostly walked with about 5mins total of running less than 50metres at a time. I'm reminding my body that it will run soon but being careful. Forgot to do core strength before going out today so that may have made things more sensitive. Still, it was lovely to be out and I got a bike ride in as well. I'm sure I'll be running a bit more soon.

Good luck for your next marathon Eagle!
Cag I hope your calf problem continues to be absent.

#21 Luckylegs

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

Attached File  Easy again.jpg   115.71K   55 downloads

Easy 9km jog around parts of Mittagong for me...being careful of left leg knee pain that just came out of nowhere! LL

#22 TwoGullies

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Hi Lucky Legs! - you came to my parkrun once (Ginninderra) and are such a legend that we talked about it for ages afterwards. I think you won the age grade score that day. Glad you are still running and hope that knee pain goes back to nowhere.

Love the route map too.

#23 Quill

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

I too, am very intrigued by the route map. What program is that? It looks marvellous.

#24 Dudley

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

Work commitments meant l missed my early morning workout. Managed to call into Hawks Nest Golf Club north of Newcastle and used their locker room at midday to run 6.5km out of town and back. Loved the different back drop of the Myall Lakes and felt re-charged that l kept to my schedule. You know you're a runner when you go to this extent to satify your daily goals but that's what you know you need to do. Hey, l'm only human, big lols

#25 Luckylegs

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostTwoGullies, on 13 June 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

Hi Lucky Legs! - you came to my parkrun once (Ginninderra) and are such a legend that we talked about it for ages afterwards. I think you won the age grade score that day. Glad you are still running and hope that knee pain goes back to nowhere.

Love the route map too.

View PostQuill, on 13 June 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

I too, am very intrigued by the route map. What program is that? It looks marvellous.

Yes, I did, TwoGullies, and I'll be back again at Ginninderra Park Run as soon as the weather warms up. Loved the run, the course ....and the coffee at that nearby cafe with fellow runners afterwards!

Quill...you've no idea how flattered I am to think someone likes my mapping expertise, considering that I just mess around and, usually quite by accident, find things I like the look of!  It's the Garmin Connect map exported to Google Earth where right click the particular run in left panel > "properties'  takes me to where I can change the appearance of all fearures of the map.  Easy!  LL

Edited by Luckylegs, 13 June 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#26 cag123

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

Tough run this morning.
2 mile warm up followed by  5x1mile repeats with 1 min walk recovery.
After 3 I wasn't sure if I'd be able to finish all 5.  Only managed to get interval 2, 3 and 4  down to the pace I wanted, with interval 1 and 5 lagging by about 6-10 seconds.  
In the end I was super pleased that I pushed on and finished.  The 1 mile cool down felt like I was doing the zombie shuffle.
Best news is, NO pain!

#27 DESTINATION_43

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostLuckylegs, on 13 June 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Attachment Easy again.jpg

Easy 9km jog around parts of Mittagong for me...being careful of left leg knee pain that just came out of nowhere!    LL
I like your mapping expertise as well Luckylegs.

Especially the Mittagong Sportsground in the top left corner of the map. Played Footy there for the mighty Mittagong Lions pretty much from 1989 until 2001.

I've done a bit of running around the new Renwick Village recently when we've been up visiting the in laws.

#28 waynewatt

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

had my first timed run with a group i have joined broke all my pb`s for 5k,1k,1mile.2mile absolutley stoked feeling great.
wayne

Edited by waynewatt, 15 June 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#29 Luckylegs

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostDESTINATION_43, on 14 June 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

View PostLuckylegs, on 13 June 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Attachment Easy again.jpg

Easy 9km jog around parts of Mittagong for me...being careful of left leg knee pain that just came out of nowhere! LL
I like your mapping expertise as well Luckylegs.

Especially the Mittagong Sportsground in the top left corner of the map. Played Footy there for the mighty Mittagong Lions pretty much from 1989 until 2001.

I've done a bit of running around the new Renwick Village recently when we've been up visiting the in laws.

Shame to have missed you, D43!  In all the time I've been running in,out and around Renwick Village  - and that's the day the gates opened  -  I've never seen another runner;  in fact it's rare to see another runner anywhere in ths area!  Mostly older folk...but I should talk!!

Nice 5km there yesterday....rest today!  LL

#30 crowpower

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

I ran in the SARRC's Sea to Summit trail event which goes from sea level to the top of Mt Lofty, a distance of some 32km, in just under 4:30, which apparently qualified me for the 6 ft track event. It was the hardest event I have ever done in 40 years of running. By contrast the 56km Yurrebilla Trail is a breeze and any marathons a doddle! I'm sure there are even tougher events in Australia, but this one will do me. I tip my cap to everyone who finished it. The weather was perfect, so that wasn't a factor.

#31 sunny1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

Hey Crowpower! Have you done this run from the Summit to the Sea?? I actually find that MORE difficult than the up hill version :Sigh:

My running has been very very 'off' for quite a while now, but I really enjoyed today's 15km version of the Sea to Summit. Felt quite comfortable and was very happy to have company for the whole distance. Now I'm looking forward to testing myself a little more vigorously ... later in the year ... or next year!

#32 TwoGullies

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

Well done crowpower! I've heard about this event (and the downhill one) with interest because I am an Adelaide person originally. I love the paved trail from Waterfall Gully up to Mt Lofty but I don't suppose the event used it. I hope you had a good clear view at the top.

Had a bike ride followed by hill walking today. Nice to get out and I think I'm feeling strong again and will test running this week. Black Mountain is such a good area. Then, as I rode home there was a marvelous sunset gloriously spread out behind the tower.

#33 crowpower

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

View Postsunny1, on 16 June 2013 - 11:03 PM, said:

Hey Crowpower! Have you done this run from the Summit to the Sea?? I actually find that MORE difficult than the up hill version :Sigh:

No sunny, and I don't know if I will. Yes, extended downhill running is very tough on the body. My legs were fine yesterday, it was just sheer exhaustion. I think they should provide food at the aid stations as well as water. After Echo Tunnel I found I had nothing left in the tank and those last 10kms were tough. I suppose lots of people carry their own food but to me it's a concept that is quite foreign.

I'm grateful to Karen B and the first aid lady Susan for looking after me at the finish, and also my son although he forgot to bring my gear bag. Still he valiantly gave me his jacket so I could keep warm while he arranged for his mum to bring the bag from home. Karen - great run by the way, you have improved so much. I had a feeling that I wouldn't see you again after you passed me not long after the start!

View PostTwoGullies, on 17 June 2013 - 12:25 AM, said:

Well done crowpower! I've heard about this event (and the downhill one) with interest because I am an Adelaide person originally. I love the paved trail from Waterfall Gully up to Mt Lofty but I don't suppose the event used it. I hope you had a good clear view at the top.

No TwoGullies, the event didn't use it. I think if they wanted to it would be around the marathon distance. We joined that trail at the 400m to go mark only. The view was great at the top. As I said, the weather was perfect (if you were wearing a cap, as I was), calm and blue skies.

#34 cag123

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

Longest run ever for me today.  Set out at 0630 very slowly as I was freezing.  By about 5km I was finally warm and the pace settled nicely.  
Ran along the coastal path from about 10km in and it was perfectly still and all I could hear were the waves crashing on the beach and my breathing and footfalls.
Legs were a little dead/heavy from 10km yesterday, but lungs were fine.
Last 1km my legs didn't really want to obey me all that much and I've learnt I probably should eat something before my long run.  All I could think about was peanut butter on toast! I've never felt hungry while running before.
So 21km done!!

#35 Icehouse

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

I am still recovering after a grueling 3h15minute run yesterday in the Perth Marathon. Positive split of 12 minutes in second half. I nearly broke 90 minutes in  my first half  split of the marathon, Garmin recorded a HM time of 1h29m37s. I took two gels in the first half but only one in the second half. Gel number 4 left in my pocket may have been my ticket to reducing my fade out and getting a  sub 3h 10 minute marathon.

Edited by HyperSpeed4, 17 June 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#36 Pom

Putting one foot in front of the other

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

Had a great 32km run early Sunday morning. Out the door at 04:30, running in the cold soon woke me up. Tried to amble along at first, but soon got a great rhythm going. Running along the Georges River, started seeing some fog, and then a beautiful sunrise on the return leg. Home to eggs and bacon 3 hours later. A great start to my day!

#37 RodN

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

Longest run for quite a while of 27k's on Sunday.  Had the usual annoying mid-run fade but finished nice and strong and my splits where good. Sore today but injury free and improving my speed so all is good!

#38 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

Wonderful idea for a thread.

Personally had a great day today.  Backed up a decent 10km run yesterday with a very unexpected double today.  Ran into work (short 3k run) and hit the gym for a before work session.  Run was in s><y cold and rain.  About 10 minutes before lunch my work running buddy popped up in front of me suggesting an intense intervals session... in the rain... on grass... in the cold.  Risking life and limb we knocked it out.  Massively satisfying.  We overcame awful conditions to do something we know is good for our running.  

Not entirely sure it was even vaguely sensible but I sit here tonight feeling exceptionally satisfied.  

Yay for Hobart winters!!

Massive yay for everyone else's runs.

#39 Quill

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

Well, went for a brief 5km trot on Sunday evening and was struck down with shin splints! The anterior variety, unusual for a forefoot runner. Never had them before. It was either that or compartment syndrome - could barely hobble home. But no matter - hitting the gym to get some conditioning back and drop some kilos then have another quick trot Friday to see what's what. :)

Well done to everyone on their runs this week!

#40 Luckylegs

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

I was very pleased to have run this morning without knee pain!  Not far though and with a few walk breaks...but I was out there on a lovely sunny Southern Highlands morning!   8km through Renwick Village and surrounding streets in Mittagong.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Easy.jpg   99.54K   16 downloads

#41 Brendan90

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

Slogged out a 6km recovery run today from a race on Sunday. Legs are feeling heavy and my foot was pretty sore, only managed an average pace of 6:00/km!

Hopefully tomorrow's feels a little better!

#42 TwoGullies

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

Ah it's great to read about the inspiring runs, the extra long and extra hard. Good work all. And for the injured, I hope things are improving (like Quill's shin splints - did that clear up??)

I've barely run for more than a week so it was good to get out today. I can't believe how much better I feel. I think I've become chemically addicted to running - does that happen?

I went up and down Black Mountain twice ( I mostly walk up as it's pretty steep) and did a lap of the circuit trail which I ran. Felt really good running which I wasn't expecting :D Clear skies, glorious sunshine and a sharp nip in the air. It was good to see some other runners on the trails too.

Since I enjoyed Pom's "bacon and eggs" at the end of his post, I'll mention that I am eating fried Haloumi cheese with fresh lime juice. Right.... Now...!

Edited by TwoGullies, 20 June 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#43 Pom

Putting one foot in front of the other

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

Twogullies - Chemically addicted to running? Yes, I think it's possible. I do get rather grumpy if I don't run for more than a couple of days. After 5 days, Mrs Pom is practically lacing my shoes up for me, and pushing me out the door.  I'm pleased you enjoyed my bacon and eggs. Not as much as I did though, I bet.

Much needed tempo run today. Felt tired going out the door, wondering if I should really give it a miss. After a 15 minute jog to warm up, ran 5km's at 4:50 pace, and then a 15 minute cool down. Felt so much better afterwards.

Addicted to running? Probably.

#44 cag123

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Took yesterday off, deciding to go for a 9k walk instead of running.  Left calf was a little tight, so it was probably the smart thing to do.
Today I ran 3 x 3.2km intervals with 3 mins walk/jog recovery.  3.2 warm up and 1.6 cool down. Ended up just over 15km.  I was feeling pretty good and got all 3 intervals down to a pace I was happy with.  Everything feels like it's starting to come together...touch wood:)

#45 RodN

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

Nice work Cag....

I have a light week this week - today was 11k with 6 hill repeats in the middle. It's nice to have these freshening weeks the niggles seem to fade (a little).

#46 jmem

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Running is going well at the moment,
out the door at 5.30 am and it was -1  brrr... had a cracking 10k .
running with taped knees which is actually working well to reduce pain .
feeling optimistic for the run melbourne half in 4 weeks,

#47 McNick

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

View Postjmem, on 21 June 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

Running is going well at the moment,
out the door at 5.30 am and it was -1  brrr... had a cracking 10k .
running with taped knees which is actually working well to reduce pain .
feeling optimistic for the run melbourne half in 4 weeks,
4 weeks! :o

Edited by McNick, 21 June 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#48 Icehouse

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

26km total over 2 runs for the day. My first day of running since my 3h15m marathon 5 days ago.

Day off, cycling Saturday.
Running a 22km+ long run on Sunday.
Monday will be a day off. Cycling and light weights.
Tuesday will be hill day of cycling or running reps uphill.
Wednesday will be medium long run up to 12km
Thursday will be an interval mile repeat day.
Friday will be an easy run day.

Edited by HyperSpeed4, 21 June 2013 - 09:40 PM.

#49 saynotoseachangers

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

Great topic TwoGullies

Really happy today. It has been 4 weeks since my last  calf tear (sounds like an introduction to an AA meeting :Tounge: ) and I have gone back to basics with running and doing 10 reps of 1 1/2 mins followed by 30 secs walk, 3 times a week. Any-who I decided to test the calf out a wee bit today by doing a beep test...I reached level  7.5 at which I decided not to push my luck any further. This far outreached any expectation I had. Best of all, no twinges and no tear.
Happy days and good training to all.

#50 TwoGullies

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

Admitting it is the first step... :Big Grin: That's great sayno, hope the calf stays strong.

After being stood up by my running partner today (we haven't been running together yet, today would have been the first, oh well) I didn't head out until after dark but was surprised to not mind it. I walk for about 30 mins to stretch the legs before going for a 15 min easy run, then 5mins walk to cool down. Very chilly but a full moon directly overhead in a very clear sky meant I could keep the torch off. I think I scared some ducks and some teenagers.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Quinkin in Quinkins Blog, on 05 April 2016 - 04:19 PM

View PostQuinkin, on 2 minutes ago, said:

10km Creek trail. I am fitter, but as yet very few 4:20-30/km appearing in training. I am starting to average under 5:00 on 8-10km runs.

Source:...

Read Full Entry →