#1 eirenealetheia

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help suggesting brands of running tights/compression tights? Particularly interested in some decent full-length tights as I tend to run in full-length for as much of the year its not too hot to do so!

I currently have a pair of el-cheapo KMart "compression" tights (about $20) that got me started. Not bad, but not great either - just lycra with fancy stitching and a thicker elastic waist.  Very thin so don't help much with the cold in winter.

I also have a pair of Lorna Jane tights... LOVE them. Great to run in - thick enough to stay warmer in winter but breathe really well too. But... I really don't like the $100+ price tag.

Does anyone know of a brand that has a more wallet-friendly pricetag than Lorna Jane, but still nice quality? I'm not so fussed with appearance, just quality.

Thanks. :)

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Ponytail

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

Hi eirenealetheia,

I'm surprised that you require full-length tights in QLD.  I don't need them down here in Adelaide.  You might find if you try running in something shorter you will adapt.

Lorna Jane is a massive rip and I wouldn't waste my money on an over-rated name branded for walkers.  I really like the Running Bare range and their tights retail for about $60/pair, however, they are not compression wear.  I would suggest you do some on-line searching as there are heaps of reputable brands a lot cheaper than Lorna Jane.

#3 mazada74

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

Hello!

I have a few pairs of full length compression tights. Skins are okay but 2XU's are way more comfy and seem to wear better. There are more expensive that Performax, which retail at Rebel and Paul's Warehouse. I have a pair of 3/4 length  compression tights of theirs are they are really good and comfy, not see through - always important! I wouldn't hesitate recommending them.
You probably will expect to spent more for compression wear that regular tights.
Pay attention to the sizing as it is different from regular clothing.

Hope you find some you like! :Star:

#4 eirenealetheia

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

I have 3/4 length tights as well and don't mind them either. For me, I just like running in full length tights! :) I do run in 3/4 tights most of the year due to the weather we have here and have managed to score some Nike ones I love via DFO for a great price.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking into buying online (purely for convenience) but might take a trip to Rebel and see what I can find and keep an eye out for some of those brands.

I have "gym junkie" friends who swear by Lorna Jane, but I've never really understood forking out that much for a label name... :Confused:Sure, I like their stuff, but not *that* much. I guess at the gym perhaps its more important to look good than I feel it is for me just running outside!! :)

#5 mbev

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

IMO Lorna Jane is very much a 'gym goer' brand - I don't see many 'runners' wearing it.
I have two pairs of full length tights - Nike (purchased 2010) and Ronhill (2011). The NIkes are slightly thicker. Both are in excellent condition and have a nice big zip pocket at the back.

3/4 tights I really like my North Face ones - they're a bit longer than my Nike 3/4 ones, and a little warmer. I'm in northern NSW and I rarely wear my long tights running. I find 3/4 are sufficent. Today I just wore shorts and a t-shirt.

I bought them online.

#6 loubee

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

I very rarely wear long compression while running preferring to use for recovery I find that Skins and 2XU are much of a muchness. I also have some Linebreak which are good but not as good as the aforementioned, excellent price when having a sale.

I'm with Pony that too hot for running. I never buy Lorna Jane as they dont last well but I do have a Lululemon addiction.

#7 eirenealetheia

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

3/4 usually are fine, particularly here in QLD... But I feel the cold something shocking so the longer tights just help it seem easier to brave the cold of the early mornings when I run. ;)

#8 jmem

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

tehheee, having a giggle at the lorna jane pay outs , that stuff is strictly for the cafe latte in hand walking ladies down here.
I also run in full length gear all year  , my legs are hideous and i am too self concious to wear shorts. i don't find them hot.
i have some great Aldi Crane brand ones which are supportive and move well,   some Under Armour ones which are awesome and also very generously sized.   i have Skins which i wear for recovery as i find they dont move quite as well for running .
ebay is a great place to start looking

Edited by jmem, 06 July 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#9 MalamuteRunner

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

I've been wearing CW-X insulator tights all winter (in Canberra) and they are awesome!  I wear them every day, wash them, and they dry overnight ready for the next day.  I run 10km every day, 6 days a week (I do weights and strength exercises one day a week) and they are still in excellent condition.  I love the extra thickness which is wind and water resistant.  They are much better than the Skins A200 tights which I was using.

I have also used the Skins thermal tights which are thicker than the normal Skins, as they have a fleecy backing to the tights so they're soft and warm against the legs.  Beautiful and warm for freezing morning runs, not as much compression as the CW-X, but perfectly acceptable and comfortable.

I've bought 2 pairs of 3/4 CW-X tights for summer.....hopefully they'll be as good as the full length ones!  I don't run in shorts!  I'm thinking about buying some non-compression 3/4 tights as well for summer - something like Adidas or Nike or Reebok - if I can find some bargains.  I've tried the cheap versions from KMart, Target, BigW etc but I've found I got what I paid for.....

The CW-X tights are pricey if you buy them in Australia (upwards of $200), but I got mine online from the US for half price (around $100).  The 3/4 ones were about $60 each, with cheap delivery.  I also bought the thermal Skins online (from the UK) and they were on special for about $70 with cheap or free delivery to Australia.  Check eBay for bargains as well!

Good luck!

#10 klement

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

I wear Skins and Underarmour compression. I personally prefer the skins because I feel that it holds me in more, though the underarmour have done a great job in the past.

#11 Kato

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

Both Aldi and Catch of the Day have compression garments on sale now.  Aldi has Crane, Catch has Skins.

#12 southy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

I have had Skins, 2XU. Linebreak, & Under Armour. All are expensive here in Australia but can be bought on-line for half-price or less. I find you can't go wrong with UA & 2XU. They last for years, literally. Skins wear thin very quickly & Linebreak loses its compression very quickly.
Look on-line, especially my favorite UK website (rhymes with giggle). And go for either 2XU or Under Armour. They have 2XU on sale now for ubder 90$A, UA usually on sale as well.

#13 NatalieC

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

One pair of my Lorna Jane tights has lasted a year. The other pair lasted 2 weeks before they got a whole in the butt (not a good look). When I returned them it was such a hassle! Will definately be buying different tights!

#14 Luckylegs

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

I bought a couple of pairs of these  -  but with black skirt  - from Aldi yesterday.   Worth a try for the price....$9.95 each!   In catalogue, 28th August.

* Made of elastic fabric for freedom of movement
* Reflective Details
* Flat lock seems to avoid chafing
* Zipped back pocket

Also invested in the stationary bike - put it together myself! - to use after an arthroscopy next week.  Blah!!  LL

Attached File  WK35_PD_09a.jpg   24.65K   14 downloads

Edited by Luckylegs, 29 August 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#15 peehuwashington

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

View Posteirenealetheia, on 03 July 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help suggesting brands of running tights/compression tights? Particularly interested in some decent full-length tights as I tend to run in full-length for as much of the year its not too hot to do so!

I currently have a pair of el-cheapo KMart "compression" tights (about $20) that got me started. Not bad, but not great either - just lycra with fancy stitching and a thicker elastic waist.  Very thin so don't help much with the cold in winter.

I also have a pair of Lorna Jane tights... LOVE them. Great to run in - thick enough to stay warmer in winter but breathe really well too. But... I really don't like the $100+ price tag.

Does anyone know of a brand that has a more wallet-friendly pricetag than Lorna Jane, but still nice quality? I'm not so fussed with appearance, just quality.

Thanks. :)

If I talk about my choice then I do have tried 3-4 brands like Nike, Ronhill, Fertilemind, Adidas, Lorna Jane but if I talk about their comfort then I'll go with Nike and Lorna Jane both are quiet thick and awesome in winter :)  :)
And if you are searching for more cheap ones then you'll get it either from eBay or from Amazon that's for sure.
Hope this works out! :)

#16 flamingdame

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hi,

I'm also in Brisbane and I wear Asics Statement tights, both the knee tights and full length. They aren't compression tights, but I swear by them for training and race day (I run a couple of HMs per year).
I've had 2 pairs of knee tights rotating for 2 years and they are both as good as new. They wear like a second skin, wick sweat off and are very comfortable in summer and winter. I love the flat zip pocket on the hip, nothing in there moves!

I don't find it's cold enough in Brisbane for the long tights, but I wore them for a muddy race in NZ in winter and they were perfect.

There's a sports store in the Brisbane airport DFO beside Oakley that have them for about $70 (knee) and $80 (long).

good luck.

#17 Runnerist

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:15 PM

I agree with the fact that long tights are more comfortable. I personally have purchased 3 new long tights for me. And they are from a renowned brand as well as are wallet friendly too. If you are also looking for the same kind, then go for 2XU compression tights pricing £74.99, or check out Nike Women's Clash Epic Lux which you can get at £69.99. Rest you can learn about them online in detail.

#18 Charloi_4

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:56 PM

When it comes to running tights, I think alo leggings are the best. You will get a value for money deal. I personally use them and quite satisfied with the quality. You can try them once. I'm sure you will not regret the decision. They also have a number of models and different colours to choose from.