Headaches after a long distance runDo you know anything about headaches after a long distance run? Reply here!

trail marathon westernaust medical

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 ChloeUlysses

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

I have always loved long distance runs - after a few months without it, I will be longing for the feeling I get in the middle of the run. There is almost nothing that bothers me about distance runs, except for the headaches I get after the race. After each run I would get a bad headache mixed with exhaustion, heat and wanting to cry. Though crying is quite acceptable in my environment, since we are 13 and 14 years old, I have never cried in public. So after our morning fitness run every day, I would usually sit in my classroom and go about my schoolwork like nothing is wrong, though I absolutely dread the pain. So what can I do to prevent the headaches? Please post everything you know about this kind of headaches and/or everything that you know can help this kind of headache, thank you very much!    iiiiii  

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 patto68

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

It sounds like you may be dehydrated.  Try drinking more water before, during and after your run.  
Neck and shoulder tightness may also be adding to or causing  the pain, so remember to warm up and stretch before your run.
if it doesn't settle tell the teacher.
Hang in there!

#3 DESTINATION_43

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

Hi ChloeUlysses,

I have run numerous Marathons over the past 12 years and I always used to get a stinking headache about an hour after the event.

I have since found that two Aspro Clears work a treat for me and sanity is restored within the hour.

Just in general, they seem to work better for me than Panadol or anything else out there in the market.

I think the headaches came around because often Marathon Day is a long day with limited sleep the night before and an early rise to get ready for the run. I drink plenty during the race but often there's a rush at the end of an event to be showered and out of your Hotel room by a certain time followed by a long drive home.

I often now take two Aspro Clears in the morning prior to the event and its rare now that I have a headache that afternoon.

#4 omy005

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

What do you mean by "long distance run" as you're still only young?  Ask your parents/guardian to take you to see you local doctor would be my first call to rule out any abnormalities.

Andrew :)