• You cannot reply to this topic
30 replies to this topic

#1 SophieLane

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Training for a few different races, really want to get under 50 minutes for 10km. Advice would be good. Thanks

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Andrew2

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

More info please.

Presuming you're not too far adrift from 50 mins, my experience is first few 10k's around 52 mins, then just kept plugging away and 18 months and 5 0r 6 10k's later, later unexpectedly smashed through to 48:28.    I did as follows:   weekly speed session with the club, weekly longer run, several half marathons, and probably around 50k a week at the time of my 10k PB.    Always seems quite unstructured, but putting the effort in.  
Have focused on 2 marathons and more halves since then and am now desperate to break 48 mins this year.   Once Adelaide half is out of the way the plan is for lots of shorter faster sessions, parkrun, etc, and hope to get there.

Let us know how long you've been running, what you,re training for and what your training is like at the moment.   Others with much more structured advice than me will then be along very quickly.
Good luck.

#3 slow

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

Hi Sophie,

I see you have a best around 54 minutes so need to improve by 4 minutes.

I struggled with 50 minutes for around 3 years.  I used to have a running season, start around February each year (56-54 minutes) and build through the year through 4-5 10km races finishing around September with the Brisbane River Run.  The River run each year was always my best result with 52-51minutes.

At this time I was probably running 20-30kms a week, losing my fitness over summer and spending more time in coffee shops (having post run bacon, eggs and coffee) than running.

But you can smash through it.  Yesterday, without trying (well it was a semi-hard run) I ran 10km in 49:xx because I wanted to and the JJJ sound track was right.

I learnt to smash through the 50 min time barrier when my interest moved to half marathons and my weekly kilometres and long run increased.  The 10km time fell my accident.  In short, week in week out, you need to consider:
- running more and constantly;
- build your long run over and above the 10km (running more than race distance each week);
- a weekly tempo runs or race specific running (5 min/kms) so required pace is very familiar (either intervals or just build each week upto 20-30 minutes with warm up and cool down);
- throw in some hills for strength (either intervals run up / jog or walk down) or build some hills into normal run;
- have fun.

Closer to the goal race you can follow a program to sharpen up properly.

Good luck with the goal!
Slow

P.S. If you want more specific advice I do suggest you will need to provide some background on training program, current weekly kms etc

Edited by slow, 12 August 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#4 mbev

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Breaking the 5min/k barrier was something I struggled with for ages: I thought that I wasn't capable of doing it.
I went sub-50 earlier this year. I had a few sub-25 5ks under my belt and that gave me the confidence that I could go under 50 for 10k (my 5k PB was 23:11 when I eventually did a 10k). My weekly training consists of three sessions:

To get me used to running at faster speeds etc:
-1 Interval session (reps of 800-1600m) totaling 8-10k normally
- 1 comfortably hard/tempo-ish run (8-10km)
For endurance:
- 1 long run: 15-17km is pretty standard for me now.

So all up between 30 and 40km a week, spread over three sessions. I do three gym sessions a week, and this has improved my core strength enormously, which I've found to be helpful for maintaining form in races.
At this stage running three times a week is helping me achieve my goals. I've just started adding a 4th 20-min run per week.
I'm loosely using the 'Run Less Run Faster' program.

#5 mutk

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostSophieLane, on 12 August 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Training for a few different races, really want to get under 50 minutes for 10km. Advice would be good. Thanks

I was hovering around 46min for 10kms for ages.. Did marathon training, no 10km races or 5km races for a long time and no specific speed workouts.. Did the marathon and 2 weeks later did 42 for 10kms.  

My partner - who is not super fast - managed 53 for 10kms after her first marathon too. She typically hovers around 1hr for 10kms without doing much training..

The biggest improvement you will make will come from consistent easy long run mileage - like what marathon training requires. There are better ways than marathon training to get a faster 10km race of course, but a very simple recipe to make big gains is there...

I see you have been running for 5 years, and PB for 10km is stil 53:56.. What we need to really gauge what you can do to get under 50mins is:

- An idea of your raw speed. How fast can you go a 3km time trial? How fast are you over 400, 100 metres? And your 5km race PB ?
- what sort of mileage are you doing that gets you to 53:56 for 10km?
- Have you been doing any sort of speed sessions? I mean genuine short sprints, not tempo or intervals
- Do you do 400 metre repeats fast? What sort of interval sessions have you been doing?

Age and weight are always a factor too BTW. 1kg is generally about 8-10 seconds over 1km for me.  If I am stuck at 42min for 10kms - about 4:10 min/km and I am 78kgs, I know I can gain a bit by dropping the weight. Again, lots of long easy runs tend to knock the weight off too.

Yet another thing that makes a huge difference is weight training. Low repetitions, high weight, twice a week will improve efficiency and strength.
Cheers

#6 SophieLane

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

I do 3k in around 15 minutes, I sometimes do sprints, hill training, my 5k PB is around 24 minutes so I know I can get under 50 for 10k but just haven't managed it yet. I'm doing the lake mac running festival in about 2 weeks and would love to do it then but I know that might be a bit difficult. If not there are a few other runs that ok doing so it's not too much of a worry.

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the help!

#7 Paulcam75

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

View PostSophieLane, on 13 August 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

I'm doing the lake mac running festival in about 2 weeks and would love to do it then but I know that might be a bit difficult.

Don't forget this is a 10.5k event. If you achieve your goal pace for the 10k you should finish in around 52:30.

#8 Nick76

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hi All

Firstly Great forum and threads.

Secondly - I am at same result and goal as  PB currently 54.10.  Endomondo recorded splits for Twilight Bay Run as follows:

5:20, 5:21,5:28,5:30,5:30,5:24,5:23.5:26,5:26,5:23

Been running for 4 months after making some lifestyle changes (Diet, Smoking etc).  Dropped from 96 Kg to 82 Kg.

Very Eager to run a 49 minute 10km and just about to start training for this.  On a seperate thread MUTK has given some good feedback about adding in the LONG RUNS to build Aerobic endurance.

Today I started pushing on my pace in the daily 4km up the gateway bridge but at moment holding a 4m 55 pace seems taxing.

What do I need to Add or change in the following program to hit my goal of 49 minutes?

Monday - 4km Gateway Run
Tuesday - 4km Gateway Run
Wednesday - 4Km Gatway Run
Thursday - 4 Km Gateway Run
Friday - Rest Day
Saturday - 15km Long Run
Sunday - Light Excercise / Cross Train or walk.

**Gatway Run includes Assent to Top of Gateway Midpoint and return to Eagle Farm Office...  Will likely start to increase the distance here on 2 of the 4 days to include running down the other side and back up again which will add some challenge and increase distance to 6.2km.  Total Weekly KM will be 30 to 40km which I assume is enough to get to my goal.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Cheers

#9 unicron

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

I'm eagerly watching the discussion in this thread because a <50min 10k is next on my list of goals too, having now ticked the first HM off my list. I'm doing ~26min 5ks and ~54min 10ks at race pace, a little slower than that in training.

Any thoughts on this training plan?: http://www.runbritai...minutes-for-10k .. my biggest challenge would be meeting the 5-runs-a-week commitment. I have a lot of time constraints because of the work I do and other things i've got going on. Would 4 runs a week aiming for 30-35ks a week be enough to keep progressing?

#10 Ali1977

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostNick76, on 24 September 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

Hi All

Firstly Great forum and threads.

Secondly - I am at same result and goal as  PB currently 54.10.  Endomondo recorded splits for Twilight Bay Run as follows:

5:20, 5:21,5:28,5:30,5:30,5:24,5:23.5:26,5:26,5:23

Been running for 4 months after making some lifestyle changes (Diet, Smoking etc).  Dropped from 96 Kg to 82 Kg.

Very Eager to run a 49 minute 10km and just about to start training for this.  On a seperate thread MUTK has given some good feedback about adding in the LONG RUNS to build Aerobic endurance.

Today I started pushing on my pace in the daily 4km up the gateway bridge but at moment holding a 4m 55 pace seems taxing.

What do I need to Add or change in the following program to hit my goal of 49 minutes?

Monday - 4km Gateway Run
Tuesday - 4km Gateway Run
Wednesday - 4Km Gatway Run
Thursday - 4 Km Gateway Run
Friday - Rest Day
Saturday - 15km Long Run
Sunday - Light Excercise / Cross Train or walk.

**Gatway Run includes Assent to Top of Gateway Midpoint and return to Eagle Farm Office...  Will likely start to increase the distance here on 2 of the 4 days to include running down the other side and back up again which will add some challenge and increase distance to 6.2km.  Total Weekly KM will be 30 to 40km which I assume is enough to get to my goal.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Cheers

Nick,

You've already hinted at it but I reckon you need to increase the distance and change the type of at least 1 of those 4km runs, probably 2. In distance terms there is a huge gap between your standard runs and your longest run and so you're at risk of only being used to long and slow or short and fast. In reality for a 10km your body needs to get used to somewhere in between those 2 extremes......

I'd recommend introducing an interval type session (800-1000m reps) run at your target race pace to get you used to the pace and intensity of what you'd be doing in a race. However, I'd exert caution before trying intervals if you've not yet got comfortable to running longer distances (than 4km) at a higher intensity than your long run pace. Maybe simply introduce 8-10km 'steady state' runs for a couple of months first.

My intervals have typically been 1km reps of the distance I'm aiming for in a race (i.e. x5 for 5km, x10 for a 10km), at or below race pace and with a 1-2min walk between reps. This has always given me the confidence that I can keep my desired pace up for the distance required. However, I'm no expert and there are an almost infinite number of possible interval sessions you could be advised to do (400's, 600's, 800's, mile repeats etc etc).

If you've only been running for 4 months you're doing fantastically well and there's no need to get too ambitious too soon. You'll see huge improvements on your current time with regular running over the current months even without doing anything more sophisticated than just going out and running....you also want to be careful not to push your body (and mind) too far and injuring yourself.

Above all, I'd listen to and consider a variety of views (most far more knowledgeable than mine incidentally..) before deciding on a new training plan. You'll get lots of feedback and moral support on Coolrunning and part of the joy of running is trial and error of new training techniques.

Good luck!

#11 Ali1977

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

View Postunicron, on 27 September 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

I'm eagerly watching the discussion in this thread because a <50min 10k is next on my list of goals too, having now ticked the first HM off my list. I'm doing ~26min 5ks and ~54min 10ks at race pace, a little slower than that in training.

Any thoughts on this training plan?: http://www.runbritai...minutes-for-10k .. my biggest challenge would be meeting the 5-runs-a-week commitment. I have a lot of time constraints because of the work I do and other things i've got going on. Would 4 runs a week aiming for 30-35ks a week be enough to keep progressing?

Unicron,

That plan looks ok to me but I'm not convinced that heart rate monitoring is essential for the majority of recreational runners (though happy to be shot down). It's entirely possible that I've just not got the attention to detail for it and the plan you've shown could probably be followed without it anyway but I reckon something like this is a pretty good framework for 'intermediate' runners:

http://running.about...ntermediate.htm

I also reckon that with a good base of running behind you 4 runs per week should be enough to break 50 mins (very generally speaking and with some tweaking of the plan).......though 10 weeks from now (if following such a plan) takes Gladstone into the middle of a sticky summer does it not! Better you than me....

Hope you've recovered from the Twilight Bay HM. I've struggled a bit this week....not sure if due to post race recovery, rising temp/humidity or just general tiredness....

Cheers..

#12 unicron

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Yeah recovering "OK" - I have been probably a little impatient and running more than I should have. Things are getting back to normal now but i've done 2 runs (1 5k and 1 8k) and planning a 1 hour+ run tonight before i have a 2 day break for the weekend (going on a fishing charter Sunday, woo!). Definitely haven't got the same level of endurance as I did on the day of the HM!!

That plan looks good, i think i'll pick and choose a bit between a few plans because I try to just use these things as a guide - your advice is appreciated :)

I am not looking forward to summer here - I might be moving more of my runs inside to the treadmill if it keeps getting worse!

#13 Robbo78

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

My story of getting the 10k mdown to under 50 mins took about 1 year, but no 10k specific training.

22/7/12 Sutho2Surf - 10k in 51:50 (is a 11k race)
4/11/12 Run4Fun - 10k in 51:10
4/5/13 Sydney:10 - 10k in 50:15
21/7/13 Sutho2Surf - 10k in 47:31

In 2012 i was really just getting into running, most months around the 90k-100k mark. Ended up off running in December with patellofemoral pain.

2013 come back slowly and saw someone about my running technique, did a few 5k races early in the year. Avergaed about 100k a month up until March. Started training for my first marathon in April and upped the running to 5 times a week and the monthly KM's up to over 200km & smashed the 50 mins mark in July. (also bunged my knee during a trail race but thats a whole other story!)

My advice, if your super keen on getting your times down, is to see a coach. i used online training and my times went down quickly!

Otherwise, make sure you get your 3 key runs in a week. Intervals / Tempo / Long, Throw in some hill reps every second week and your times are sure to come down. Plenty of info on net to sort out what kind of workouts to do on intervals and tempo days. And just build your long runs up slowly.

Good luck and stick around CR - you learn a lot!

#14 SophieLane

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

Hi just thought I would update this and say I got a new PB of 50:05 last night at the track. I'm getting so close now! Thank you all for the advise.

#15 nathaniel2518

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

So close! nice!!! Did you consciously start out to beat 50 or was it just another training run? and we're you aware of your times during the run...

i'm at about 55 at the moment and have run a 24.45 5 km so i'm getting closer - just get a bit psyched out by my gps.

#16 nathaniel2518

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

i did a 50.59 two weeks ago. funny because i got to 8 km in 40.49 and thought if i could finish off with two sub 5 min/kms i'd do it. maths at 8km on your record run shouldn't be trusted...

#17 Eminem

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

With that sub 48 minute 10km time you should be able to get sub 23 minutes in 5k, sub 1 hour and 50 minute in HM and possibly sub 4 hours in the Marathon

#18 SophieLane

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

Nathaniel2518, I was competing in a race and so my ultimate goal was sub 50 and I was so frustratingly close.

#19 Morley

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

My 10K PB (46:02) was achieved while training for a marathon and the weekly long run was the only quality session for the week and four easy runs 5 - 10K. Cheers.

#20 mb70

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:06 AM

Signed

#21 unicron

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:52 AM

I'm still pounding away at this goal. I want to do it before I start serious marathon training because i'll be moving my focus away from speed.. I have run a 23:35 (5k) parkrun and i'm doing 5x1200m repeats every week and on a good day I can do each interval at 4:55 or better (1 min rests). My best 10k in training was 50:59 but that was the only time i've been able to do better than 51:00, every other time I try to deliberately run the 10K distance at race pace I burn out after 3 or 4ks.

I feel like I could probably run the 50min in a 10K race but haven't had the opportunity yet. Why aren't there more races in the summer :(
(i know, i know, the conditions are atrocious for races..)

Edited by unicron, 20 December 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#22 slow

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

View Postunicron, on 20 December 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

I'm still pounding away at this goal. I want to do it before I start serious marathon training because i'll be moving my focus away from speed.. I have run a 23:35 (5k) parkrun and i'm doing 5x1200m repeats every week and on a good day I can do each interval at 4:55 or better (1 min rests). My best 10k in training was 50:59 but that was the only time i've been able to do better than 51:00, every other time I try to deliberately run the 10K distance at race pace I burn out after 3 or 4ks.

I feel like I could probably run the 50min in a 10K race but haven't had the opportunity yet. Why aren't there more races in the summer :(

Unicron - my 10km time dropped by a couple of minutes from marathon training.  There is no reason why you can't achieve both.  I find it very hard to hit pb territory over summer - all my best times are from between march and September.

#23 unicron

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

View Postslow, on 21 December 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

Unicron - my 10km time dropped by a couple of minutes from marathon training.  There is no reason why you can't achieve both.  I find it very hard to hit pb territory over summer - all my best times are from between march and September.

That is reassuring to hear actually. I think I failed to realise how big a jump it was from my fitness level from the start of 2013. That last 10-15sec/km seems to be a huge difference in speed and stamina for me. It's not until I look back at workouts I did in Jan/Feb 13 that I realise how much progress i've already made and remind myself to relax and just enjoy the ride.

I am hoping I can keep shaving time off while upping my mileage for the marathon training next year, all the while trying to stay injury free.

Cheers.

#24 mb70

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:21 PM

I'm still pounding away at this goal. I want to do it before I start serious marathon training because i'll be moving my focus away from speed.. I have run a 23:35 (5k) parkrun and i'm doing 5x1200m repeats
I also believe that' s better move focus away from speed. I'll start on 2014 to try Florence Marathon on 30 th november 2014.

#25 unicron

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

I finally cracked this goal in a training run this morning :) 49:40! So happy. Now I need to savour this one for a while and then work out what to work on next. Will probably start getting focused on the marathon but there's a 10K run in Brisbane in September so maybe I can shave a couple more minutes off my time between now and then.

#26 mytym

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

When I first broke 50min for 10k it was the result of taking the focus away from speed.  At the time I was trying to lift my tempo through certain sections of my run.  For example first km normal intensity, second km high intensity, another couple normal then 1km high, etc.  I found I was just tiring myself out and not really getting any significant gains.  The next run I thought I'll just go out and run at a pace which allows me to not puff too hard.  If I started puffing hard, I would slow down until it got back in check then pick up the pace and repeat.  It didn't take long to settle into a rythym.  Low and behold on my first attempt I was only a couple of minutes slower than when I was going all out.  Within a few weeks of running this way, I shaved off the 4 minutes, smashed 50min and have never looked back.

#27 RodN

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

Sky's the limit for you Unicorn well done. Marathon training will certainly help your 10k time as well but a bit of variation like speedwork also keeps things interesting!

#28 unicron

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

View PostRodN, on 08 February 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

Sky's the limit for you Unicorn well done. Marathon training will certainly help your 10k time as well but a bit of variation like speedwork also keeps things interesting!

6 months on and I am two weeks out from the Bridge to Brisbane 10K. I've finished the marathon, in the process ran a 48:11 10K on a flat course and ran 36:40 on a hilly 8K course. I'm going to try and go for 45-46:xx at the B2B 10K.

I love looking back on this site and seeing how much progress i've made. Especially while I sit here well into week 2 of a cough/cold and feeling like it's never going to get better!!

#29 UnfitnessFanatic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

It's great isn't it unicron. I know the feeling of looking back at how far you have come and this is a great site to help monitor that.

Congrats on the improvements.

Fwiw my name on here was in reference to my "shape" when I joined up.  Amazing how things change :)

#30 Steve247

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

Great read in this thread thanks to the contributors, I have this same sub 50min goal for 50 myself at the central coast 10km in 5ish weeks. Currently at 54 minutes.

3 training runs a week seems to be working well for me.
1 x 4.5km loop as fast as i can - current PB 20.15sec.
1 x lap of mount panorama 6.2km, the first 3km of that being uphill 170metres! PB 34.43
1 x longer run currently at 8 - 10km slowly increasing, not worrying too much about pace but around 5.20per KM is normal.

#31 Shahanga

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:26 PM

Planning on getting back under 50min pre-Christmas.  

I have built a solid base from marathon training and now am following a slightly modified Lydiard programme to give me the speed on top of my base.  On top of that if I can stay disciplined i might be able to shed a kg or 2, which would help.