Jump to content


Point 2 Pinnacle


  • You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

#1 darg75

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Joined: 25-November 12
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Hobart

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Walked this event the last 3 years.  I have a special place in my heart for this bad boy as it's what started me on this running journey.

Attempting my first run in this event tomorrow.  21.4km, 1,270m climb.

Sub 2:20 would be awesome, over 2:30 and I'll be a sad panda.

I'm coming for you Mt Wellington!

Woo woo!!

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 WetWeek

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Joined: 22-February 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Hobart

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

Good luck to all suckers runners in the PtoP tomorrow!  (only joking)

Weather forecast is brilliant for "The World's toughest half marathon".

#3 darg75

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Joined: 25-November 12
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Hobart

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

2:20:09, I'll take that.

Glorious day which I understand included a course record.

http://mobile.abc.ne...-record/5097472

Edited by darg75, 17 November 2013 - 01:40 PM.


#4 WetWeek

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Joined: 22-February 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Hobart

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Congrats Darg :good:  Yes, a cracking day for it.

#5 mathewnicholls

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined: 16-June 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Tasmania

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

2:15:29.... 3 minutes better than last year.

Awesome day for it, don't know about world's hardest though :Confused: It had nothing on the Kentish Triple Top the previous Sunday, that's for sure.

#6 ColD

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Joined: 25-January 13
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:Southern Tasmania

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

Good one "darg"?  I was right in that time zone. Awesome day huh? Triple Top is on my list "mathew" Any Intel would be appreiciated.

Edited by ColD, 19 November 2013 - 12:46 PM.


#7 darg75

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Joined: 25-November 12
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Hobart

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

Nice one CoID, share your time?  

With regards to triple top I'm interested too.  What is this triple top?

Edited by darg75, 19 November 2013 - 07:29 PM.


#8 mathewnicholls

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined: 16-June 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Tasmania

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:17 AM

Here's the website re: Kentish Triple Top: http://www.kentishli...e&id=3&Itemid=4

"involves a 19.7km traverse across Mt Claude, Mt Van Dyke and Mt Roland, before a treacherous descent down the face of Mt Roland to the finish at Claude Road."

The last few years the run has been on the weekend before the P2P and it's about a 3 hour drive from Hobart (or an hour from Launnie), this years event was won by Stu Gibson who finished 18 minutes ahead of second place: http://www.theadvoca...ountains/?cs=88 There are plenty of old threads from other years on here with plenty of tips/info, should be able to find them pretty easy with a google search.

I took it pretty easy in the earlier sections since I knew some of the climbs had an average gradient of 25%, the descent at the end was the trickiest part though, basically sliding down rocks on your bum and looking for trees to stop you from slipping over. Took me 3:17, would love to go back next year and try to go under 3 hours though.

#9 DrinksRunner

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Joined: 16-January 14
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Launceston

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

View Postmathewnicholls, on 20 November 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

Here's the website re: Kentish Triple Top: http://www.kentishli...e&id=3&Itemid=4

"involves a 19.7km traverse across Mt Claude, Mt Van Dyke and Mt Roland, before a treacherous descent down the face of Mt Roland to the finish at Claude Road."

The last few years the run has been on the weekend before the P2P and it's about a 3 hour drive from Hobart (or an hour from Launnie), this years event was won by Stu Gibson who finished 18 minutes ahead of second place: http://www.theadvoca...ountains/?cs=88 There are plenty of old threads from other years on here with plenty of tips/info, should be able to find them pretty easy with a google search.

I took it pretty easy in the earlier sections since I knew some of the climbs had an average gradient of 25%, the descent at the end was the trickiest part though, basically sliding down rocks on your bum and looking for trees to stop you from slipping over. Took me 3:17, would love to go back next year and try to go under 3 hours though.

3:17 is a good time for triple tops. I think its a lot harder than the P2P even though its shorter, doing this made me want to do P2p again as it wasnt that hard in comparison.
My results were as follwos
P2p 2011  2:17  I had done a fair bit of training leading up to this, not enough hills
Triple Tops 2012 3:49  I was fairly unfit at the time, probably trained for a month pre this event, Next time will do with TRAIL shoes if go again.
P2P 2013 2:09  A fair bit fitter this time around

Edited by DrinksRunner, 16 January 2014 - 12:26 PM.


#10 ColD

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Joined: 25-January 13
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:Southern Tasmania

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for that "Drinks" very interesting.  Another excuse for the triple top is it's so close to Tasmazia.  So I could make it a family event.  I'm not loving "mathews" description of the decent if I want to do that shit I go orienteering.  Any feedback on the "endorfun" Freycient trail run which would be in the same basket. Cheers.

#11 mathewnicholls

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined: 16-June 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Tasmania

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:06 AM

I did the Endorfun runs this year and found the Freycinet one really hard - struggled big time running on the beaches. Probably something I’d try to practice a bit more before entering that one again, haha!! Took me nearly 5 hours and I came 6th last! I’d defiantly prefer trying Triple Tops again out of the two. If you don’t mind running on beaches I think you’d enjoy Freycinet though.

For perspective - Stu Gibson also won Freycinet in a time nearly 40 minutes longer than his Triple Tops time.


View PostColD, on 17 January 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

Another excuse for the triple top is it's so close to Tasmazia.  So I could make it a family event.

You’re right! Plus when driving up from Hobart it wasn’t too long of an extra drive onto Burnie and we got to spend some time there/Devonport in the days after the run which sadly enough was pretty exciting!!

#12 DrinksRunner

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Joined: 16-January 14
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Launceston

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

View PostColD, on 17 January 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

Thanks for that "Drinks" very interesting.  Another excuse for the triple top is it's so close to Tasmazia.  So I could make it a family event.  I'm not loving "mathews" description of the decent if I want to do that shit I go orienteering.  Any feedback on the "endorfun" Freycient trail run which would be in the same basket. Cheers.

I agree with Matt, there is a decent where you do have to go down a rock wall, my shoes were slippery as running shoes not trail shoes so i went down a lot on my bum as well. It just depends how confident you are jumping down rocks, if my shoes were dry or had more grip the descent would be easier.

#13 Jindalee

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Joined: 19-June 14
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:55 AM

Entries for this race are now open!

#14 Robert W

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts
  • Joined: 27-March 02
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Macedon Ranges Victoria

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:12 PM

Great event love to do it one year.

#15 redbackrun

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Joined: 12-March 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:12 PM

Just back from a Hobart holiday. Went up twice by car to Mt Wellington and was thinking this would be a tough 1/2 marathon.

#16 Jindalee

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Joined: 19-June 14
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

^ it is tough alright but a great event and if you get a good day you are rewarded with amazing views.

#17 DrinksRunner

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Joined: 16-January 14
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Launceston

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:36 PM

will be back again this year as wife wants to visit friends in hobart.

hoping for another sub 2 cap.

#18 TassiePenguin

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Joined: 11-January 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Hobart, Tas

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:09 PM

2.15 pacer for me again this year :)

#19 darg75

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Joined: 25-November 12
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Hobart

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:15 PM

Could be about where Iím at this year Tassie Penguin.