35 replies to this topic

#1 Willy2BillySecretary

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

The Bilpin Rural Fire Service are very pleased to announce that the Bilpin Bush Run (formerly known as the Willy2Billy) will take place this year, on Saturday 23rd August, incorporating a new route.

The course will commence at the Bilpin District Hall and wind its way along Mount Tootie Road and into the Wollemi National Park, around Mount Tootie and return to the hall. Participants will face various types of challenging terrain, surrounded by stunning vistas.

Further information concerning the run, course map, entry form and fees can be found at www.bilpinbushrun.com.au

Refreshments will be available to purchase, in the Bilpin District Hall, from 8am and a small community market will offer local produce and products. Further information about Bilpin, accommodation and restaurants can be found at www.visitbilpin.com

The Bilpin Bush Run is the main fundraising activity undertaken by the Bilpin Brigade. As a result of the devastating fires in October and November 2013, further upgrades to the fire shed were placed on hold and the community in general suffered from loss of trade as visitor numbers plummeted. This event will not only provide vital training for members, but help reinvigorate both the Bilpin Brigade and the greater community.

We look forward to seeing many familiar faces and thank you for your continued support

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 denjah

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

Great to see this back on, albeit a different course. Will the scones and damper be back on ?

#3 Willy2BillySecretary

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

View Postdenjah, on 17 June 2014 - 03:10 PM, said:

Great to see this back on, albeit a different course. Will the scones and damper be back on ?

Thank you ... We have been working together, with the local council, for over a year and are happy with the new course. As yet we are unsure about the scones as Mt Wilson Brigade supplied the delicious treats when the start line was located at Silva Plana Reserve. From 2014 the race will commence and finish in Bilpin. The Bilpin Public School P&C are assisting us with catering and will be located inside the hall, from 8am and they are looking at supplying something special for participants.

I will post further information as we get closer to race day.

#4 Louie de Fly

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

Hi

Glad to see the race back on course change no 4 always as good as the last did all courses
Hope the P &C put on a fair during the race similar to one of the early races I had a few foster kids with me and they loved it if they do please support it
All ther best
Lou
SOMEWHERE IN OZ

Edited by Louie de Fly, 18 June 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#5 frankie17

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

I'm interested in running the new course. If it's no longer Willy2Billy perhaps consider changing your CR name to minimise confusion...

#6 Willy2BillySecretary

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

View PostLouie de Fly, on 18 June 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

Hi

Glad to see the race back on course change no 4 always as good as the last did all courses
Hope the P &C put on a fair during the race similar to one of the early races I had a few foster kids with me and they loved it if they do please support it
All ther best
Lou
SOMEWHERE IN OZ

Thanks Lou ... there will be a small community market and a children's play area ... plus the ever popular scones will be free to all with a race bib. Hope to see you there.

#7 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

a new course with mountains, better count me in.

#8 kye1968

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

this looks like fun.....and not too far from home........also at just about the right time within the marathon training program.......I think I will need to start at the 8am start otherwise MrKye is going to have an awfully long wait at the end.......being so much faster a runner than I am....I like the sound of the scones...!!!!!! :Smug:

Edited by kye1968, 19 June 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#9 slowmo

1000-club old-dated SlowRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

W2B was such a great community event so it's terrific to see this new race set up in the same spirit.

Just entered - really looking forward to it.

slowmo

#10 Willy2BillySecretary

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

Map, with elevation, has been added to the website ... Thanks  http://www.bilpinbus...p_elevation.htm

#11 adr1an

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

Is it possible to train on the course or is the Itchenstoke part a private rd?

#12 David C

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostWilly2BillySecretary, on 23 June 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

Map, with elevation, has been added to the website ... Thanks  http://www.bilpinbus...p_elevation.htm

I am having trouble reading the map ... any idea of the total elevation.  The course looks as if it follows the ridge line into some wonderful looking scenery.

#13 Willy2BillySecretary

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

View Postadr1an, on 23 June 2014 - 06:57 PM, said:

Is it possible to train on the course or is the Itchenstoke part a private rd?

Unfortunately you cannot 'train on the course' as most of the route winds it's way through private property.

#14 Willy2BillySecretary

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

View PostDavid C, on 24 June 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

View PostWilly2BillySecretary, on 23 June 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

I am having trouble reading the map ... any idea of the total elevation.  The course looks as if it follows the ridge line into some wonderful looking scenery.

I will obtain further info for you re the total elevation ... the scenery is gorgeous, with the bush opening up to show off show magical vistas.

#15 runcarrie

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

Please a good map with elevation would be great - I am also having trouble reading the map.
Thanks

#16 Wollemi

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

Further information concerning the run, course map, entry form and fees can be found at www.bilpinbushrun.com.au

Sadly, in 2012 the race had to be cancelled. A landslip on Bowen's Creek Road in 2013 permanently closed the route forcing the Bilpin RFS to cancel the race indefinitely.

Last week I jogged/walked from Mt Irvine to Bilpin (long car shuttle right there...).  

There are indeed at least 8 sections where landslips have covered over the road - but the trail bikes have certainly compressed the ground well, and there is no concern traversing around the slips - unless aggressive runners try to overtake less confident persons at these places.  These are all on the Old Bells Line of Road/Bowens Creek Rd side.  
The landslips are irrelevant - the worsening trenching in the former wheel ruts are significant - very technical walking/running in several places.  These features are derived surely of the rains of June and July 2013 - I remember as I did some intense white-water kayaking on the relatively nearby Nepean then.

I am appalled that Blue Mts City Council and Hawkesbury City Council have put up identical signs that say No Trail Bikes and No Pedestrians.  As a bush walker and trail runner, I object to being lumped in with trail-bike riders. (Oh - I have a motor-bike riders licence, thanks...).

The formerly bomb-proof oversized metal fence on the Bilpin side of the timber bridge has had a large hole cut neatly through it now.  The Mt Wilson/Mt Irvine side had much flood debris to a metre thick on top of the bridge - four metres above the normally very shallow water below.

The Willy2Billy could have been run in 2012 and 2013 - with the oversized metal fence in place - it was a matter of stepping down to Bowens Creek and scrambling up the other side, adjacent to the informally condemned bridge. Though some native Raspberry snagged me in summer 2013.

On that occasion, in February 2013, I had rested on a pretty beach (now gone due to flood) under the bridge and watched a large native water rat  swim upstream, prior to diving and confidently snaking its way around rocks.

The Willy2Billy can be run in its current state, serving as a reminder to this former public thoroughfare through pristine bushland, and showing positive resistance to the very pretty area becoming neglected, disturbed by oversized fire-pits, dispersed rubbish, and motorbike skids and spins causing heightened erosion.

#17 Willy2BillySecretary

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

Thank you for your support Wollemi and your comments.

Unfortunately, the Wily2Billy CANNOT be run in its current state for several reasons. The road, formerly known as Bowens Creek Road is officially closed, therefore the Bilpin RFS cannot obtain insurance for the event, Additional services who volunteer their time to assist the Bilpin RFS are also not permitted to access the area, such as the RAAF ambulance etc.The road/route is dangerous, the bridge in condemned and landslips can occur at any time. Members of the public continue to access the area, ignoring the signs and damaging the fences, in particular motorcyclist and runners, sadly without consideration of the RFS, NSW Ambulance, Police Fire and Rescue and the SES who they rely on to rescue and retrieve them when they fall or injure themselves.

The BILPIN RFS does not recommend persons access this route nor traverse the bridge or creek or attempt to pass the landslips on Bowens Creek Road.

#18 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

This morning on ABC radio I came onto the tail end of a preview discussion of Landline (ABC TV Sunday 12 noon--tomorrow), in which the presenter was discussing the fight between the Hawkesbury and Blue Mtns councils over the condition/rebuild etc of a bridge, and they mentioned Mt Irvine , so I suspect they were talking about this road and the Bowens Creek Bridge.

Quite topical so close to the Bilpin Bush Run

Edited by Colin, 26 July 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#19 StumpyC

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

Hi all - does anyone have any info on the elevation changes etc on this new route, other than what has already been psoted. Any info would be much appreciated so I can better plan my run.

#20 Willy2BillySecretary

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

View PostStumpyC, on 15 August 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

Hi all - does anyone have any info on the elevation changes etc on this new route, other than what has already been psoted. Any info would be much appreciated so I can better plan my run.

There is a further map on our website that might be able to help ... just select the link 'drink stations' and the image will open in Google earth. http://www.bilpinbus...p_elevation.htm

#21 Willy2BillySecretary

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

Only a week to go ... scones are being baked fresh for the day and will be offered free of charge, with jam and cream and tea and coffee, within the Bilpin District Hall, for entrants as the complete their race registrations and collect race bibs.

The Bilpin RFS would like to thank everyone within the running community for their support.

#22 ChrisTimingGuy

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

scones are being baked fresh for the day and will be offered free of charge, with jam and cream and tea and coffee, within the Bilpin District Hall  .............yum   !!!

#23 slowmo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

View PostWilly2BillySecretary, on 15 August 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

scones are being baked fresh for the day and will be offered free of charge, with jam and cream and tea and coffee

The famous W2B scones ? Excellent !

#24 Lotsahare

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

View PostChrisTimingGuy, on 15 August 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

scones are being baked fresh for the day and will be offered free of charge, with jam and cream and tea and coffee, within the Bilpin District Hall  .............yum   !!
Aw gee Chris you're so cruel!  I was sooo looking forward to having some of 'dem delish scones and doing one of my favourite runs :( Unfortunately I will still be out in the never never doing Trail Walker. You and Slowmo will have to eat extra for me !

Edited by Lotsahare, 17 August 2014 - 07:15 PM.

#25 slowmo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

Heading up to the mountains this evening for the race tomorrow. I'm hopelessly unfit at the moment so will be even slower than usual, but really looking forward to it.

#26 gemmaw

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Hope everyone enjoys themselves toomorrow! Wish I could join you!

#27 ChrisTimingGuy

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

results are here    click me

#28 StumpyC

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

Thanks to everyone who volunteered today, thanks to all the runners for being so supporting, happy and sociable, and well done to the organisers. I`ll be back. A great day out.

#29 Willy2BillySecretary

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

On Saturday 23rd August, 95 runners set out on the inaugural Bilpin Bush Run with the starters gun firing at 9am at the Bilpin District Hall. The weather remained very co-operative with the sun breaking through the clouds to reveal the stunning scenery around Mt Tootie. The race was won by James Matthews in a time of 2hrs 38 minutes. James spoke very highly of the course and stated that though it was challenging and, at times very soggy, he thoroughly enjoyed the route and would be back again next year. The second runner to cross the line and the first placed female was Beth Cardelli, in a time of 2 hours 45. Beth was also very pleased with the new format and after enjoying a hot shower took full advantage of a massage from Ivan, our volunteer masseuse.

The Bilpin Brigade would like to extend their thanks to the sponsors of the Bilpin Bush Run - the Bendigo Bank, Hillbilly Cider and GU Sports drinks. Further thanks to the staff and P&C members of Bilpin Public School, Chris and June - The Timing Guys, Michael Jaggard, Sean Moran and Greg Bailey for the yummy scones and hot donuts, St John's Ambulance Service, Ivan the masseuse and all the members of the Bilpin RFS who gave up their day to assist with the running of this event.

You can now find us on Face Book, where you can post and share your thoughts and photos of the run. https://www.facebook...840094116003009

Thanks again ... we look forward to seeing you all again next year.

Cathy - Bilpin Brigade Secretary

Edited by Willy2BillySecretary, 24 August 2014 - 08:55 AM.

#30 rocket

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for a great event. Tougher but much more interesting than the old event, the previous course was great too. It was good not to worry about the buses and the time spent on them, means I get to stay in bed a bit longer.

Just a thought for next years event, would it make it more interesting, if the direction the runners do the loop alternated each year, or would it make it more difficult to compare your times.

Regards
Rod

#31 slowmo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

That was a such a great event !  I agree with Rocket: quite a bit harder than the old course but more interesting with less time on roads and more spent on trails and trekking through paddocks.

I had a race of two halves: felt really good on the outward leg (powered by those scones), then jarred my knee at some point after the turn-around and had to trudge most of the way back to the finish. It didn't matter - nothing could spoil the day with such a great atmosphere on course, fantastic friendly aid stations, a terrific welcome at the finish and a really nice presentation to wrap it all up.

Thanks very much to the organizers and all of the terrific volunteers. I'll definitely be back next year and I'm sure there will be more people lining up once word gets around about how good it is.

slowmo

#32 CJShiredale

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

After a couple of years off the calendar the 2014 Bilpin Bush race made a re-entry onto the running Circuit.  The first time that I ran this event, 2005, it was primarily based on the “word of mouth” from Northside Running Group [NRG] colleagues, so it was great to see a NRG turn out of about 20 runners for the new course.  I completed 4 Bilpin’s on the old course.
A lot has changed in the running world since 2005.  The running landscape has evolved – there are more events, there are (new) commercial events professionally produced coupled with marketing nous e.g. Northface, plus peak events such as 6 Foot Track require entry criteria to be met.  2014 Bilpin also was on the same weekend as Trailwalker + Running Wild’s Glen Brook marathon.
Summary points:
1. Would I do this event again.  Definitely yes, I would prioritise this event for 2015.

2. What is the new 2014 course like?  Parts of it are comparable to: The old Bilpin Course / Fitzroy Falls Fire Trail Marathon [FFTM] / Yurrebilla Ultra in Adelaide / Beyond the Black Stump
3. Is the new Bilpin Course better than the old Course.  Overall I vote YES. In general it’s a fast rolling course which can provide for a rewarding and not too punishing event. Nostalgic’s fondly recall the 7 – 8 kilometre uphill, switch back finish on the old course, a challenge which runners relished.
4. The race has electronic timing, a great announcer at the end of the event, beautiful flowers and local Apple Cider http://www.hillbillycider.com.au/

the event / course..... and a blue line:

The first 4.7 km’s out are the final 4.7 km’s that runners finish.  From the start line there is a right hand turn @ 500 metres downhill and then a hard left up a small rise, then gully and second rise, then right turn and it is pretty much open trail for a while.  The course then has a sharp descent [watch footing], plus two rocky climbs, then another kilometre or so and it is 4.7Km drink stop 1.
This is where the course split off and headed uphill into a paddock, which then looped left through a gully and switched back around a large gum tree, kind of like a Z direction.  A unique part of the event was a blue line marking the way through the paddocks, which was a first that I had seen – plus large orange witches hats at turning points.  
After the switch back around the gum tree there was a short uphill, then a hard left turn and downhill run to a further hard 180 degree turn.  By this stage runners were strung out, the event was taking shape, or so we thought....... Once rounding through the gate a very steep grassy hill was to be tackled.  The steepness of the hill compared to the steepest parts of 6 foot, it was probably 750 metres to the top.  Prior to the event some runners had been discussing the “lack of hills” on the course as the poured over the topographical map in Bilpin Hall.  Whilst I did not canvas their opinions post race the hill @ 8km held its own.
Another quirk in the race was that as one power walked up this hill there was some cheering coming from up ahead, at the Drink Station No.2 [DS2], where some local kids held up placards or encouragement – a nice local touch.
After DS2 is where some serious downhill running can take place for 500 metres or so, then the course heads along the edge of some trees along a fence line, you can see runners ahead to catch if you are keen, the course keeps looping to the right and then reaches DS3.  This is where the out & back starts.  This section was similar to the out & backs to the Hidden Castle of Beyond the Black Stump, however the Black Stump out and back is harder / hotter and steeper.  Anyhow it was mainly downhill to turn around point & I hammered this part. This section of bush track is made for 4WD’s and is very runable. We started to see the leaders over half way out to DS4, it was great to see Doug from NRG + Beth Cardelli having good runs.  
The NRG contingent at this point who I was running with Adam, Fred, David, Gavin and Leigh were still shuffling around positions, not that it is a race......
Drink Station 4 is the out & back turn around point, “what goes down must come up”. The return journey has some uphill sections which one can power walk, if per chance you might be duelling with a fellow runner this is where a runner could press on. Another race with a tough out and back is FFTM which is a tough uphill.  Bilpin’s is easier than that too.
Once completed the “back” you arrive at Drink Station 5, [which was 3] and then, wait for it, there is something special waiting ........................  It is a hill up a dirt road, where the blue line is not electrified [like a slot car racing set to drag you up] but it has runners strung out mainly power walking.  This winds up and around into some trees then veers right onto a grass paddock, another steep climb take runners to a turning point.
Interestingly this left turn at 22.9km [the 2nd climb on the course] is not quite at the summit of Mt Tootie, but seemed about 90 metres short.  Straight after the turn it is a hard run down hill, across an open paddock towards a gate in the distance.  This next section of the race is very much like Yurrebilla, which is held in Adelaide, annually at the end of September.  So for only 1.2 hours drive from Sydney this is a bargain – you get the same look and feel ........
Heading across the paddock I was passed by two ladies, once of which was Amanda Underwood [Mrs Fattorini], I did politely note that she has passed me in other events two-thirds through. Then it was through a gate and uphill on Mt Tootie Road, after 300 metres uphill there was about 1 km downhill slope back on sealed dirt road, over a crest [big gum tree], past a single lady spectator and onto a quad bike + large red sign pointing left.  This long downhill is what makes this a faster than normal trail course.
Once turning left the blue line went across a paddock then into a forest section back to Drink Station 1, this was technically tough.  It was tough coming off a long downhill, plus as runners were probably by themselves, the ground can be described as fire break, not an official road – but a clearing made in the past by a bulldozer, and my legs for one were not responding well.  The bush undergrowth was tricky for feet placement and the ground was spongy from under growth.  Not complaining, perhaps some more leg work in off season would have made a difference?  Finally arrive at Drink Station 7.  
From Drink Station 7 this is the first 4.7 km’s of the race in reverse.  In reverse the first 1km or so is easy its roped track on dirt road, then there is hard right up a small ridge and then over the top and down two successive rock slopes.  I was just keeping in touch with the lady in front of me, Christine.  After the downhill another roped off section and the hill back up a power pole clearing, with loose footing.
At this stage we caught a couple of tired runners along a straight dirt road – which runs for about 1 km.  Then there was a drink stop 1.8 km from the end –with a nice little fire and two firies providing encouragement.  A reason to mention the fire is that I was convinced upon drinking the energy drink at this check point that the smoke had somehow been captured in the drink – who knows what goes through a runners mind?  Small things ...... like how did they create that blue line so straight and neat across rolling paddocks?
The final parts of the 1.8 km are a roller coaster down and up then down and hard right back up to the main road.  Then it is a left turn for the finish line, a hot shower, support the other finishers and have some BBQ lunch J

#33 slowmo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

View PostCJShiredale, on 24 August 2014 - 05:52 PM, said:

over a crest [big gum tree], past a single lady spectator and onto a quad bike + large red sign pointing left.  

Wow - that's a great race report CJ.  That lady spectator was my better half cheering on runners and checking to see if I was still moving.

#34 StumpyC

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

Interested to know if there was there a T-Shirt?

#35 slowmo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

View PostStumpyC, on 25 August 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

Yep - with apples on it :)

#36 Willy2BillySecretary

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:38 PM

View PostStumpyC, on 25 August 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

I have 4 left (XXL, XL, L, M) ... if you are interested, please email me (windywilson@iprimus.com.au)