• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:23 PM

View PostHarderBetterFasterStronger, on 28 November 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

View Postriffraff, on 28 November 2017 - 05:00 AM, said:

View PostHarderBetterFasterStronger, on 25 November 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

20:15 this morning at parkrun!!!
So close. Now to find another 16 seconds in the next 5 weeks of 2017 :)
Is it worth tapering before a 5k? Do you think it would help?

IMO no speed work for 72 hours prior to any race that matters.

Also, you might find that extra 16 seconds by changing your parkrun course........and that's not cheating :)

I'm afraid I've already played this card. 20:15 run on a very fast course :)

View PostZedzded, on 28 November 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

View PostHarderBetterFasterStronger, on 27 November 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

View PostDrinksRunner, on 27 November 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

Do you need to taper for a 5km :)
If it was park run - taper would be easy run friday or rest.

Friday is my weekly rest day so that's what I usually do. Just wondering if I could benefit from a lighter week or if it does not make much of a difference at this distance :)

You could try, but I don't think it would make much difference. Maybe have a light day friday. What were your km splits for your 20.15?

3:59
4:04
4:03
4:01
4:03

Now I know that indicates a 20:10 time but that's what my Strava tells me.

You can probably break 20mins, just need to change your pacing. The final 1 -2km you can make up a lot of time because the end is in sight and you can tolerate more pain knowing it's about to end. For me the mental side of things plays a big part.  Maybe start off a little slower, your slowest km being km 3, so you feel OKish with 2km to go, then go for it from 2km 1.5km. You'd be surprised at how hard you can push in that final section. I did a park run last week and km 3 felt horrible - 4.11minkm and I felt the wheels coming off, then the final 2 kms were 3.55 and 3.52.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#502 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:52 AM

I'd go a little further than Zedzded's "You can probably break 20mins"

I know you can break it. 99% of getting to it is your own self confidence and knowing your body can not only get to this target but also surpass it.

Admission I had no Idea I could do it until I was trying to show my 17 y.o son he is capable of this. He is not there yet and I suspect/hope he might come to running later in life like I have. The great suggestion to have a pacer for the whole race or even the last two to lift you home is well worth trying. If your in Melb give me a buzz! It would be fun and very coolrunning to be a part of your PBs. I am sure lots of Sydney Coolrunners would be happy to help. A picture of your super star Kathy Freeman in your mind every time you think its getting tough might be good distraction therapy if you want to do this solo.  

Have fun and the celebrations are coming soon.

Edited by NavyDiverJB, 29 November 2017 - 11:55 AM.

#503 dantan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

I feel as though I am getting somewhere.

Every Wednesday morning, I Run 10 x 500m repeats with 1-minute Walk breaks in-between.

This morning, I ran:

Distance (km) Time (h:mm:ss) Average Pace (h:mm:ss) 0.55 0:02:26 0.52 0:02:12 0.52 0:02:13 0.54 0:02:13 0.51 0:02:11 0.53 0:02:09 0.51 0:02:11 0.51 0:02:10 0.5 0:02:13 0.51 0:02:10 5.2 0:22:08 0:04:15

That's annoying; the format did not come up right.

Basically, in total, I ran 5.2kms in 22:08, at an average of 4:15/km.

Edited by dantan, 29 November 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#504 BeatYesterday

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:26 PM

View PostNavyDiverJB, on 29 November 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

I'd go a little further than Zedzded's "You can probably break 20mins"

I know you can break it. 99% of getting to it is your own self confidence and knowing your body can not only get to this target but also surpass it.

Admission I had no Idea I could do it until I was trying to show my 17 y.o son he is capable of this. He is not there yet and I suspect/hope he might come to running later in life like I have. The great suggestion to have a pacer for the whole race or even the last two to lift you home is well worth trying. If your in Melb give me a buzz! It would be fun and very coolrunning to be a part of your PBs. I am sure lots of Sydney Coolrunners would be happy to help. A picture of your super star Kathy Freeman in your mind every time you think its getting tough might be good distraction therapy if you want to do this solo.  

Have fun and the celebrations are coming soon.

Thank you so much! I'm in Sydney though but that would have been fantastic.

#505 unicron

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:23 AM

I realised that it's been THREE YEARS since I started this thread. And still, i'm yet to hit that elusive 4:00/k on the watch. It's been a rollercoaster couple of years for me as I watched my times, and motivation, drop off, and come back, only to be set back by the occasional niggling injury.

I'm now back to about the fittest i've been and recently ran under 21:30 for the first time in a long time. Given the time of year (it's getting warm in S E Qld), i'm hoping with some consistent mileage that by the time it cools down i'll be getting close to that magic 20:00 mark.

Well done to everyone who's smashed this goal so far!

#506 redbackrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

Unicorn is your PB still 20:34? Not far to go. A good base over summer, good sensible speed work and staying injury free for a sub 20 crack in winter is there for the taking. Do you run with a club. I found this year it was beneficial and plan to continue that in 2018.

#507 unicron

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

View Postredbackrun, on 01 December 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

Unicorn is your PB still 20:34? Not far to go. A good base over summer, good sensible speed work and staying injury free for a sub 20 crack in winter is there for the taking. Do you run with a club. I found this year it was beneficial and plan to continue that in 2018.

Thanks RBR. Yes PB is a bit of an anomaly.. still the first and only time i've ever gone sub-21. Recent effort was 21:17 but I went out a bit quick and really suffered in the 3-4th K. I think I could've come close to 21:00 with better pacing. PB was also set in May (2015) whereas last weekend I found the humid weather really tough. I'm sure i've got the speed for a sub 21 in cooler conditions, and i've been able to string together 800s and 1K reps at 3:55-4:00/k pace in my interval sessions.

These runs have been done with no real conscious effort to taper or treat Parkruns like a race. I just have a hard crack every now and then amongst my other training.

I run with South Pine Striders.. I think it's the main reason i've gotten back into PB form (ran very close to a half marathon PB back in September and planning to train for GC and Melbourne Maras next year)

Edited by unicron, 01 December 2017 - 10:03 AM.

#508 redbackrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:12 AM

Striders are great club. I've probably bumped into you a few times at local races and parkruns? Is there someone at the club who can give you a specific training program.

#509 redbackrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:28 AM

Striders home parkrun is at Warner Lakes. As you probably know it is a hilly parkrun with the 2nd and 4th ks slow. If going for a PB try North Lakes, Kedron or Sandgate. Don't be afraid to start at the front. You can lose some precious seconds starting too far back.

#510 dantan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:02 PM

I, too, have yet to go sub-4:00 per kilometre.

I have seen sub-4:00 on my Watch, when I sprint towards the finish line, but, I have not actually run a full kilometre (or any full kilometre) in under 4 minutes flat.

However, I feel as though I am getting there.

My Rep Training on Wednesdays appears to be helping my overall speed.

#511 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:57 PM

Unicron, a stretch of injury free training and a cool calm day at Sandgate parkrun should have you under 21 minutes and drawing close to 20 minutes.  Strengthening your hammies and glutes should help your speed and reduce your chance of injury.  Remember that each time you think about skipping your strength sessions.  Let me know when you want to attempt your sub 21.  Happy to pace you there.

#512 unicron

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:35 PM

View Postredbackrun, on 01 December 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

Striders home parkrun is at Warner Lakes. As you probably know it is a hilly parkrun with the 2nd and 4th ks slow. If going for a PB try North Lakes, Kedron or Sandgate. Don't be afraid to start at the front. You can lose some precious seconds starting too far back.
Thanks RBR, yes our club often has a big presence at Warner. I also run North Lakes frequently, and Chermside, Sandgate and others now and then. I know what you mean about finding a good starting spot. There are a few choke points particularly at North Lakes and unless you're right up there it can really slow you down.

View PostHeadlampRunner, on 01 December 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

Unicron, a stretch of injury free training and a cool calm day at Sandgate parkrun should have you under 21 minutes and drawing close to 20 minutes.  Strengthening your hammies and glutes should help your speed and reduce your chance of injury.  Remember that each time you think about skipping your strength sessions.  Let me know when you want to attempt your sub 21.  Happy to pace you there.
Good pointer re motivation for strength work. maybe I need a number to track like I do for weekly Ks so I don't feel so let down when mileage takes a back seat to recovery, stretch & strength work. Maybe I will add a "time doing strength work" column to my gigantic spreadsheet and set an "A" and "B" goal for the year to hold myself to account ;)
May just enlist your help for pacing down at Sandgate come March/April 2018 ;)

#513 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:46 AM

View PostHeadlampRunner, on 01 December 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

...Strengthening your hammies and glutes should help your speed and reduce your chance of injury.  Remember that each time you think about skipping your strength sessions...

^^^This this and this

I was a niggle plagued runner for years. Gave up running completely for a few years. Then decided to take the strength work seriously. Did 2 months of daily physio exercises (took me 10mins) that an "ordinary" physio gave me and that really improved my hip/glute strength, but it wasn't enough. Then eventually I saw the light and realised I needed to get running specific exercises. Ever since then, the injuries and niggles have gone. (I still get some of course, but nothing like before). So DO the exercises! Totally worth it. After 2 weeks it just becomes routine.

But one thing - if your hammies are getting injured, strengthening them may not be the answer (it's probably your glutes) as maybe they are getting injured as they are working too much, compensating for something weaker up/down the chain?

#514 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:24 AM

Strava has an entry type of workout.  One of the guys I follow on Strava logs all his core and strength sessions like that.  Maybe you should do that Unicron.  That way you (and anyone who follows you) can help keep you honest.

#515 unicron

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

View PostBogFrog, on 02 December 2017 - 06:46 AM, said:

^^^This this and this

I was a niggle plagued runner for years. Gave up running completely for a few years. Then decided to take the strength work seriously. Did 2 months of daily physio exercises (took me 10mins) that an "ordinary" physio gave me and that really improved my hip/glute strength, but it wasn't enough. Then eventually I saw the light and realised I needed to get running specific exercises. Ever since then, the injuries and niggles have gone. (I still get some of course, but nothing like before). So DO the exercises! Totally worth it. After 2 weeks it just becomes routine.

But one thing - if your hammies are getting injured, strengthening them may not be the answer (it's probably your glutes) as maybe they are getting injured as they are working too much, compensating for something weaker up/down the chain?

Great to know that the stength work helped you BogFrog. I am starting to see the light. I have mainly been looking for running-specific (mostly upright, single leg) exercises. I've got half a dozen that I want to start working on a few times a week.

Yes absolutely not just focusing on hamstrings. It is most likely weak glutes (or lazy.. or both) so that's my target for the time being. I'm also trying to loosen up my quads and other stabilising muscles so that the Hamstrings are not left to try and overcompensate for everything else that's going wrong. I've been checking out a few exercises for anterior pelvic tilt which I have a feeling will be beneficial for me given how much of my life is spent sitting down with pretty terrible posture.

Edited by unicron, 02 December 2017 - 09:35 PM.

#516 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:25 PM

View Postunicron, on 02 December 2017 - 09:34 PM, said:

View PostBogFrog, on 02 December 2017 - 06:46 AM, said:

^^^This this and this

Great to know that the stength work helped you BogFrog. I am starting to see the light. I have mainly been looking for running-specific (mostly upright, single leg) exercises. I've got half a dozen that I want to start working on a few times a week.

Yes absolutely not just focusing on hamstrings. It is most likely weak glutes (or lazy.. or both) so that's my target for the time being. I'm also trying to loosen up my quads and other stabilising muscles so that the Hamstrings are not left to try and overcompensate for everything else that's going wrong. I've been checking out a few exercises for anterior pelvic tilt which I have a feeling will be beneficial for me given how much of my life is spent sitting down with pretty terrible posture.

Add core exercises PLANKING is cool Side Planks as well. You can do it anywhere

#517 redbackrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:31 PM

I've started some speed work last Wednesday 10 x 400 @ 3:45 pace. Happy with that. Next week back to cross training and gym strength work.

#518 redbackrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:32 AM

All the best to all the coolrunners targeting sub 20 this year! I'm looking forward to reading all the training and race reports. Good luck! :)

#519 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

I didn't get there last year, but it wasn't a main goal.  It would be nice to get there again this year, and it should happen, but I've thought that before.

#520 dantan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:56 PM

This is a goal of mine but I am not at all confident of achieving it.

I am a 22:xx 5km Runner who tends to Run long slow kmís.

Edited by dantan, 01 January 2018 - 10:57 PM.

#521 Zedzded

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:45 AM

View Postdantan, on 01 January 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

I am a 22:xx 5km Runner who tends to Run long slow km's.

Just work on your weekly mileage, build that up and you'll get quicker.

#522 BeatYesterday

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:07 PM

Well another year, another fail.
I got very close this time though.

One 20:09 attempt and two 20:15

I can almost touch it so hopefully 2018 will finally be the year for me.

#523 dantan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:38 PM

View PostZedzded, on 09 January 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

View Postdantan, on 01 January 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

I am a 22:xx 5km Runner who tends to Run long slow km's.

Just work on your weekly mileage, build that up and you'll get quicker.
Thanks!

I have already started Running 4 times per week (3 times per week last year, and 2 times per week the previous years) and will be Running 4 times weekly and aim to average around 40kms per week.

#524 dantan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:44 PM

View PostHarderBetterFasterStronger, on 09 January 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

You will do it for sure!

View PostHarderBetterFasterStronger, on 09 January 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

And it's not a fail!

#525 redbackrun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:01 PM

Well it's been tough going after Xmas holidays! Heat and trying to stick to a good diet has not made for enjoyable running. Bunya PB Squad has started again. I think I'm slightly lighter and faster than this time last year. Jan workouts included: 8 x 400 @ 3:45min pace, 6 x 500 @ 4:00min pace,trail 3 x 1 - 3:51, 3:52(downhill) & 4:47(uphill), Zillmere parkrun @ 4:33 pace, 4x1k 3:56, 3:47 (downhill) uphill was average. Weekly hill repeats. Started some stair climbing and boxing/core/strength/stretching at the gym for x-training. Last Feb I only managed 111k and one sub 4min k. Still early days and peak fitness is not until May/June/July.

#526 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:48 PM

Good progression for me so far this year.

21:06 in 27į and Qld humidity.
20:49 in Adelaide's 25į.

50 seconds is a fair way to go, but as it cools and assuming I have a good run without injury (big assumption), then it might happen without any speed work.

#527 Stej

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:46 PM

View PostAndyP, on 02 February 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

Good progression for me so far this year.

21:06 in 27° and Qld humidity.
20:49 in Adelaide's 25°.

50 seconds is a fair way to go, but as it cools and assuming I have a good run without injury (big assumption), then it might happen without any speed work.

Hmmmm.... A two degree drop gave you 17 sec of improvement in your time.  An heroic extrapolation suggests that you need the temperature to drop a further six degrees and you will go sub 20 min.   Imagine the time if it was really, really cold.  Woo!

#528 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:59 PM

Damn, I should have done a fast 5k in Prague when it was minus two.

#529 BeatYesterday

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:55 PM

I came closer than I ever have.

20:02 at parkrun on Saturday.

Strava has recorded 4.98km so I'm telling myself that if I did go under 20, I would have been mightily peeved off by the lack of record so it's for the best :).

I don't think I'll find cool conditions for another few weeks but it's boosted my confidence that I can do this. 3 seconds to go!

#530 dantan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

So close!

Well done; you’re nearly there and it will happen very soon for you, for sure.

View PostHarderBetterFasterStronger, on 04 February 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

Strava has recorded 4.98km so I'm telling myself that if I did go under 20, I would have been mightily peeved off by the lack of record so it's for the best :).

I don't think I'll find cool conditions for another few weeks but it's boosted my confidence that I can do this. 3 seconds to go!

#531 Zedzded

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

View PostHarderBetterFasterStronger, on 04 February 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

Frustrating huh! What were your 1km splits?

#532 BeatYesterday

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:11 PM

3:57
4:06
4:02
4:10
3:51

#533 Zedzded

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

View PostHarderBetterFasterStronger, on 05 February 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

3:57
4:06
4:02
4:10
3:51

Unless km 4 was a hill, you can definitely cut some time there. And maybe go out a smidge slower. Set your watch for 500m alerts not 1km to keep you on pace. I reckon aim for low 4s for kms 1,2,3 and then km 4 3.55, km 5, 3.50. My slowest km is usually the first or at least I try and make it that way. I did a 5km race a few weeks ago and people who didn't look particularly fit were flying along at 3.30 pace. I was left for dead sitting on 3.55, until km 2 then half of them were jogging an a couple of guys walking! I reckon there's a big psychological thing going on with races like the 5km. You might have felt spent at km 4, but obviously weren't considering your last km was 3.51.

#534 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:50 PM

Great advice Zed. I would add looking at controlling that first 100-200m and know what the right pace feels like from a standing start.
At 1km 4-4:05 or even 4:10, think you aren't going slower, you are using less effort to run at a similar pace.
You have just shifted your km splits around and hopefully have more energy in the tank later.
Review your warm up, are you ready to run at that pace or are you starting cold.
Think about the terrain and where you can pick up time, is it simply in the back half?

Oh, and take the parkrun PB and if you want to go the extra 20m for Strava.

#535 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:02 PM

Yep, impressive last km! Which parkrun was it?

And to give an opposing opinion to Z (as I constantly seem to do! LOL) I read somewhere that you should go out a little harder in the first km as you are fresh and there is no lactic to hold you back.

But I know the build-into-the-run is what is mostly done and recignised as the better method. And going out too fast would build up lactic fast...

#536 Zedzded

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

View PostBogFrog, on 05 February 2018 - 08:02 PM, said:

Yep, impressive last km! Which parkrun was it?

And to give an opposing opinion to Z (as I constantly seem to do! LOL) I read somewhere that you should go out a little harder in the first km as you are fresh and there is no lactic to hold you back.

But I know the build-into-the-run is what is mostly done and recignised as the better method. And going out too fast would build up lactic fast...

I suppose it can depend on the runner. For me if I go hard for the first 2kms, psychologically I find it hard knowing that I still have 3 kms to go and I feel like I have nothing left in the tank. I can cope with 2kms to go no worries! I think a lot of damage can be done in the first 1km if you go a bit too hard. But then how I race a HM in a 70.3 is different - first 10kms I go out fast, I like to log some time in the bank, ease back for 5/6kms, then when I know I only have 5 to go I pick up the pace again. I think I probably need to change this though. I have noticed a lot of triathletes seem to run their HMs in this fashion, I find it mentally easier, but it's probably not as effective as evenly pacing it and negatively splitting.

I'm finding that there are some decent gains to be made with developing mental strength, nowhere near where I'd like to be in this regard, but I've had a few training sessions and races that have gone OK because I'm a bit stronger in that department and am starting to understand what is meant by mental strength. I think it's a phrase that gets bandied around a lot, but you never really understand it or know how to develop it. I guess I had a little light-bulb moment where I went "now I get it". I reckon if anyone can manage 3km at av 4min/km they can go sub 20 by just working on the mental side of things.

And it would be a bit boring if we all just agreed! I guess with running though, there's more than one way to skin a cat. I went sub 20 with virtually no speed work, but that might not work for someone else.

Edited by Zedzded, 06 February 2018 - 10:45 AM.

#537 BeatYesterday

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I have learnt from experience that I can't be looking a my watch when I race. All my PBs were set when I received no pace feedback.
Unfortunately that means I have to rely on 'feel' and my 4th km feel is obviously way off.

Next attempt in 2 weeks!

#538 Zedzded

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

View PostHarderBetterFasterStronger, on 06 February 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice.

I have learnt from experience that I can't be looking a my watch when I race. All my PBs were set when I received no pace feedback.
Unfortunately that means I have to rely on 'feel' and my 4th km feel is obviously way off.

Next attempt in 2 weeks!

There are days when I run and I know without looking how fast I'm going, but other days, especially race days, feel can be very deceptive, especially in those first few kms. The 5km race I mentioned earlier, getting overtake by people with beer guts, I could have sworn I was doing 4.30 pace, not 3.50... it would have been really easy to run too quick. I've got my GPS watch I might as well use it! I guess don't be a slave to your watch and I normally go by feel on training runs, but for races it's useful tool. I just have mine set to 500m or 1km alerts. So in a 5km race I might only look at it 4 times on the 4 alerts.

Edited by Zedzded, 06 February 2018 - 12:22 PM.

#539 DrinksRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

1st and 5th should be fastest kms sub 4:00 pace. Adrenalin rush at the start and fresh, and end finish is in sight, so last 100% push. Need to keep kms 2,3,4 even and as close to 4:00 as possible.
For my parkrun PB My quickest km was the first 1km  second quickest were 4&5, but all other kms were all within 7 seconds of fastest km.

Edited by DrinksRunner, 06 February 2018 - 01:26 PM.

#540 JXT

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:59 PM

I think that there are plenty of ways to skin the cat but I really think that knowing the course can shave time. I tend to attack inclines and then try to maintain the pace on the following flat or decline. After attacking an incline, a flat feels like a recovery even at the same pace. And youíll get the added benefit of passing lots of other runners on the way up. Of course, thereís a danger that youíll over egg it a blow up.
For a flat 5km, I always find that itís critical to maintain focus in the second kay. I usually get out too hard, worry that Iíve blown it and back off too much. To counter this, I donít look at my watch until the second kay.
My two cents, grain of salt etc

#541 20thCenturyBoy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

Well over the New Year I've piled on the pounds, probably 4kg over my ideal weight, my parkrun PB of 21:36 feels like ancient history. Lucky to hit 25 mins now. Still...I reckon I've turned the corner, going to enter some WAMC (WA Marathon Club) races this year to get more race experience and lose the pounds with decent training. Only problem is I turn 50 this year!

#542 dantan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:34 PM

G’day 20thCenturyBoy, from a fellow West Aussie.

All the Best!

#543 Zedzded

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:41 AM

View Post20thCenturyBoy, on 06 February 2018 - 07:48 PM, said:

Well over the New Year I've piled on the pounds, probably 4kg over my ideal weight, my parkrun PB of 21:36 feels like ancient history. Lucky to hit 25 mins now. Still...I reckon I've turned the corner, going to enter some WAMC (WA Marathon Club) races this year to get more race experience and lose the pounds with decent training. Only problem is I turn 50 this year!

Age is no obstacle. Winner of males 60 - 64 for Ironman Western Australia 2016, Andreas Bodenmann did 9.59 which included running a 3.20
marathon and that's after swimming 3.8km and riding 180km. He's not alone either plenty of quick guys in their 50s/60s/70s even.

#544 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:36 AM

I snuck under 20 mins at parkrun yesterday (for the first time in about 4 years after some serious illness concerns) & thought I'd post the splits, HR, & some comments, for what it is worth.
Type Distance Duration Elapsed Time Pace Pace Avg HR Max HR 1 Interval 1 km 3:54.28 3:54.28 3:55 141 152 2 Interval 1 km 3:52.82 7:47.10 3:53 160 168 3 Interval 1 km 3:54.74 11:41.84 3:55 166 176 4 Interval 1 km 4:05.38 15:47.22 4:06 167 171 5 Interval 1 km 3:54.85 19:42.07 3:55 169 174 6 Interval 0.04 km 0:07.05 19:49.12 2:57 171 171

The time I was credited with was 19.50.
My HRM is a wrist one, so I think the max heart rate is a bit flakey, but the average HR could probably be more relied upon (my resting HR is 52, and I'm 46)

It looks like either
i. I've run an extra 40 metres, or
ii. the course is a bit long.
I would think it is most likely the course is correct. It is a 3 lap course , so 5 turns. I think making the turns it is best to run an extra distance rather than doing a sharp turn, but this results in extra distance.

It was an extra 7 seconds to do the distance beyond 5KM (as such) so not negligible if your right on the margins of 20 mins.

The weather was a bit cooler, the humidity has dropped, & the course was pancake flat (Surfers paradise, normally run Main Beach). All this helped.

The 4th KM was the slowest, but I think this was made worse by that split having 2 turnarounds in it. It still would have been the slowest though.

I think doing 500m splits for this distance, as suggested earlier, makes a heap of sense.

#545 Cobalt

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:07 AM

Congratulations Deano, is that first time under 20mins? Being same age and same resting HR I'm interested in your stats on how to run it. Can I ask your max hr and weight?

One of my goals is a sub 20 but not there yet, sub 4hr marathon current project, though going the training for that might get me pretty close.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

#546 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:34 AM

View PostCobalt, on 11 February 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

Congratulations Deano, is that first time under 20mins? Being same age and same resting HR I'm interested in your stats on how to run it. Can I ask your max hr and weight?

One of my goals is a sub 20 but not there yet, sub 4hr marathon current project, though going the training for that might get me pretty close.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk
Thanks cobalt.
I have run sub 20 before, but getting onto 4+ years ago, so almost a different me.
My weight is 71 kilos.
I would like to be 69 kilos, at least/most.
As for max hr, i don't know what that would be.

I was targeting to run at 95% of vo2max at the start, which was about 155 bpm i think, which i think ended up about right.

I think doing 5km race 1 week before your target marathon can actually be good, with careful planning around other sessions.
My 5k was fortnight after a (pretty slow, 30 min positive split) trail marathon.

#547 BeatYesterday

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:48 PM

Well done Seano!

#548 BeatYesterday

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:30 PM

So I can finally report, a full two years after first dipping my toe in this thread that I DID IT!!!!

19:49 (or 19:50 according to Strava) at parkrun this morning.

Seriously dipped in the second km but got picked up by two guys who were going at the right pace so I hung on for dear life.

I am so stoked. It's going to take a while for me to get down from this cloud.

3:58
4:08
3:58
3:54
3:49

(as usual with Strava the splits don't actually add up)

#549 dantan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:01 PM

Congratulations!

I knew you would do it.

#550 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:35 PM

Awesome!!!  You'll be unstoppable in winter!  
I did a few last winter, but haven't been able to replicate it since...