#1 FitzCameron

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 14 January 2004 - 05:13 PM

Hi all,  

I have set myself the goal of running home at least once if not more per week, about 8 or 9Km.

I was given a great small back pack - for walking - but not for running.  I find it is "flopping" all over the pace and despite having very comfortable straps each over 75mm wide at the shoulders, it tends to rub after a while.

On these ventures, I am carrying: shoes, socks, TShirt, Shirt tie, phone, palm pilot etc - so a reasonable amount.  All the heavy stuff is at the bottom - is this my error?

Interestingly, I find the bag improves my running as it forces me to run more upright than I normally do.

The bag is also lifting my shirt up, giving old ladies a brief shock and thrill...  :D  

Has anybody experienced this in the past and if so, how did you fix it?  :unsure:

#2 Mister G

Kosciuszko Deprivation Syndrome since 2005

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 05:30 PM

FitzCameron,

Yes, I always tuck my shirt right into my shorts to prevent the shirt hiking up.

I sometimes chafe in the lower back- this is remedied by use of Bodyglide.

If it's "flopping"- does it have decent compression straps? Hike them up tight before setting out.

There have been a few other discussions on commuting with backpacks... see  here,   here  and  here  for starters.

Hope that helps.

#3 DDDinOz

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 05:30 PM

I have run with several different packs over the years and find that all annoy and rub to some extent.  My view is that the key is a good waist band that minimises the bounce.  

quote:

All the heavy stuff is at the bottom - is this my error?

You should try to keep the heavy stuff as close to the body as possible, as this will decrease the leverage that it applies to the shoulders.  You must realise however that it will invariable find its way down to the bottom unless constrained.  My current pack (can't remember the brand) has internal compartments which reduces the space for items to move (but must also increase the net weight of the bag.)

quote:

The bag is also lifting my shirt up, giving old ladies a brief shock and thrill...  

In terms of the shirt riding up this is reduced by the waist band - one thing to try is getting a shirt that is one size too big as there is more to tuck in and resist the forces.

Exactly what is it that you are flashning at the old ladies??  :D

#4 MarkO

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 07:39 PM

quote:

key is a good waist band that minimises the bounce

Not sure if I agree with that one. Over the years I have run with a variety of backpacks and I have found the waist band to be more of a nuisance then a benefit.

Very tight straps which don't slip are important, mine are actually tied in place so the pack is a pain to get on, but stays in place for my long runs with too much crap in them (shoes, trousers, etc from work).

Never had the problem of  

quote:

giving old ladies a brief shock and thrill

are you wearing anything else apart from a long shirt?

#5 Jogger

CoolRunner

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,396 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:42 AM

When I was communting I took the bladder out of my H.A.W.G. - it was great but very expensive. Think its a tad under $300 now.

#6 Gary Mc

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:46 PM

Great to see more people trying this form of commuting.  I run commute in several times a week .  My comments would be:

The key to a good running back pack are:
1)  Straps that clip across both your chest and your waist.  A lot of back packs only have a waist clip which allows the back pack to slip a lot.
2)  Comfortable shoulder pads with a bit of padding where the straps pass over your shoulder.

I use a Salomon (dont know the model). They produce a very narrow (25cm wide) but tall back pack.   It is a similiar shape to a camelback waterholder but at around $70 is a bit cheaper (bought mine at Rebel)

You will notice every gram of weight in your backpack over the run.  So my approach is to try and take as little as possible during the run.  For example,  I bring all my shirts in on Monday in a suit bag and take them all home on Friday when I am not running.   Work out what you really need to take home and what you can leave at work until the day you go home by other means than running.

Good luck with it

#7 Plod

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:55 AM

Fitzcameron,

Take a look at a Macpac "Ultramarathon".  I think the pack's volume is about 25 - 30 litres, the harness is sensational, and compression straps are exellent!  Not cheap however, nor is it the lightest of running-suitable packs, but mine has lasted over 5 years, and still has plenty of life in it.

#8 Spud

trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,804 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:13 PM

Guys,

Check this website out  Runnersbag

Look pretty affordable given the strength of the Oz dollar?

Cheers

Spud

#9 Consistent1

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:24 PM

I agree with Gary Mc, get organised and leave some stuff at work, and only take home what you absolutely have to.  I usually have another plastic bag inside to roll everything up in (wallet, phone etc).

My current backpack for running is a 20 litre nylon model with two compartments from Blackwolf (www.blackwolf.com.au) bought for about $20 from Myer-Grace. The shoulder straps are good for 3-4kg loads. It folds up into its own pouch, so it's very handy for travelling and has plenty of reflective tape, but during winter nights I place a flashing bike light in the pocket to ensure cyclists see me.

#10 plu

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:00 PM

I had a work thing in the city today and popped into Paddy Palin's in Kent Street behind Town Hall.  There was an Easter special on.  

I am not familiar with the prices but I did pop in around Christmas and things seem cheap.  For those who still like trail running after the 6foot there were some good day packs with bladders.  I saw one $70 mark down.  

Anyway I just thought I would let you know.  

I picked this thread becaure MR G has pointed to atleast 3 other related threads and it seems the most central of the threads on packs.

Cheers

Plu

#11 GoldenLab

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:29 PM

Hi,

Have to agree with GaryMc, regarding chest straps and waist straps. You can be a cheap backpack from Snowgum that has both of these and is light also.

Cheers,
Michelle  :)

#12 Twopennys

Attention to detrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:16 AM

In early January - quite by serendipitidy - I purchased a DMH (tiger 15L) hydration pack - insulated compartment fits standard 2L bladders.

I use it for all my 2 hour+ runs and it is simply brilliant.

I only paid $39.00 for it - it does not come with it's own bladder but as I already had a 2L Platypus this was not an issue. So if you had to buy a bladder as well it would probably be around the $80.00 - $90:00 mark all up.

On runs up to 4 hours I have not experienced any rub whatsoever. The chest and waist straps fit just right.

The way it is designed for the drink tube to come be fed through the shoulder strap is great.

It is also light in weight.

Has a couple of zip pockets on the waist strap so that will fit a muesli bar, gu, etc. And if you are travelling heavier has plenty of space for other gear (even has a specific CD/walkman space - I don't use this). As well it has space for wet gear.

Anyone considering buying one - I don't hesitate to say my experience is all positive.

Cheers, 2P

#13 Fats

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:03 PM

I run several times a week with a Camelpak HAWG. It's big enough to take my work clothes, shoes & a book (and a bladder of course). I've run up to 30km with it and never had any problems, but it is important that you tighten up all the straps and get the shoulder, chest & waist straps set up correctly.

I did try another pack called X-air (or something like that). Looked very cool but was terrible to run with. It had one of those suspended backs that are supposed to keep your back cool, but it just meant that all of the pressure is applied at two points on the hips.

#14 andrew t

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 02:38 PM

I love my Salomon Raid 300 for commuting - light, comfortable, can be adjusted to suit a variety of loads.  Bought for ~$100 on Mr G's recommendation here a couple of years ago. -- Andrew

#15 trimike

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:04 AM

Have to agree with, i use a saloman raod race 300, best investment i ever made. I use it when i bike, run or go hiking.Higly recommended.

#16 MickMac

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:18 PM

The Mountain Designs Endurance 25L pack is also an excellent choice. It is made for adventure sports and meets all race qualifying criteria ie has a padding system that can also be used as a sleeping mat (if your into that sort of stuff). It is light wieght has good waist and sternum straps etc. I run to and from work with it (7km each way) and find it does a superb job. I often carry a similar load to you and I suspect the pack actually takes more like 30L. It retails for about $120 and is well worth checking out!

#17 anklestrapper

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:46 PM

I'm very happy with my Outer Limits 'Monitor' from BBQ's Galore. I'm not sure if it is big enough for your needs but it carried all my gear across the Overland track and quite comfortably too. It has a 3L bladder which you can ditch for shorter runs and it only cost $60. The straps are not real wide at the waist but no problems for me.

#18 FakePlasticTrees

Orange Juice is for losers

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:45 AM

I went to five different outdoor stores around Town Hall in Sydney yesterday. None of them seemed to stock Salomon products. Was I blind? Can someone tell me where to get the raid race 300 from?

#19 FakePlasticTrees

Orange Juice is for losers

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:36 PM

I checked out all the outdoor stores and finally bought a running backpack. It's called the Camelbak Rally 18. Comes with a 3L bladder which sits in a seperate compartment just behind the back padding.

It's very light as it's apparently designed by adventure runners. Seems to hold enough with additional mesh pockets on the outside. Little pockets on the waist strap are handy for gels.

I've only worn it once on a run so far, it was pretty good. I'd filled it with 4 pairs of trousers, 2 shirts, wallet, key etc... It wasn't really noticable and I was able to maintain a 4:30min/k pace.

It did sit a little high but I guess that's because I don't know how to adjust the straps properly.

All in all a pretty good backpack for $120 (got it 20% off).

This ends the review.

#20 Miss Gazelle

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 01 July 2005 - 01:28 AM

Oooohhh gnscon twilight zone stuff (doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo)
I bought the SAME...Camelbak Rally on Sunday ($119 at Mountain Designs in the city..20% off) and took it for a 36k run Monday. Bewdiful! A bit of chaffing on my shoulder and back but I think that was an adjustment thing as the load got lighter. It sat snuggly on my back and was very comfortable otherwise.
Cheers,
Myrtle

#21 trailblazer777

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:05 PM

I tracked down (by googling for DMH website, and them asking them where I could buy DMH products in Perth, WA) a shop that had some DMH's here in Joondalup (Compleat Fishing & Camping World Shop 13, 200 Winton Rd, Joondalup WA Ph. 1800068788) and bought a DMH Hydra with a 2L bladder included for $35 2 days ago, and it did the job for my 6 hours on the inaugaral 6-inch track marathon yesterday...see link here for results;
http://wamc.proboard...27100618&page=6

#22 Virtual

I can be dying an hour after I can be flying. Gabriel Flores

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:05 PM

Kimmlite AR35 from planetfear.com

#23 Lavinia_G

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:26 PM

I was just browsing in an Adventure Racing store and found a Lowe Alpine 'Multi-day runners backpack'.  Cost me over $100 but it fits perfectly and can carry alot (something I was looking for as I am never sufficiently organised to leave everything at work).  I run ~7km to work and came in today with 7kg in my backpack - no chaffing/rubbing/soreness -  it is an excellent backpack (has space for a Camelbak).

#24 Ayla2010

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

Anyone have one of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com....=item35b028f2bc

If you do are you happy with it?

#25 JCbeachrunner

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Checkout a video by this company I found on youtube, LatLock Packs, by far the easiest pack to run with I've found.

A pack that finally does not bounce even with books, I run to class now in comfort and pretty fast too.

#26 ChloeP

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

I got a great pack from White Mountain - they specialize in larger packs but with their experience in tailoring these for comfort I've found the smaller one I got there to be a really good fit for running. If you visit their store in Preston they'll spend ages with you making sure you get the best pack for your needs!

#27 Ralphk

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

View PostFitzCameron, on 14 January 2004 - 05:13 PM, said:

Hi all,  

I have set myself the goal of running home at least once if not more per week, about 8 or 9Km.

I was given a great small back pack - for walking - but not for running.  I find it is "flopping" all over the pace and despite having very comfortable straps each over 75mm wide at the shoulders, it tends to rub after a while.

On these ventures, I am carrying: shoes, socks, TShirt, Shirt tie, phone, palm pilot etc - so a reasonable amount.  All the heavy stuff is at the bottom - is this my error?

Interestingly, I find the bag improves my running as it forces me to run more upright than I normally do.

The bag is also lifting my shirt up, giving old ladies a brief shock and thrill...  :D  

Has anybody experienced this in the past and if so, how did you fix it?  :unsure:

Go to Katmandu, I've bought my back there which has a chest strap and a stomach strap so it doesn't move much.
They have various sizes, mine fits my jacket, shoes, computer etc so plenty of space.

Mine was only 35 bucks since there was a stain on it :)

#28 StuartAUS

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

I have the Salomon S-Slab 12, I did 2 bays with it a few weeks back and not a single issue, best pack I have ever had, only thing I did was add a 2lt bladder (normal is 1.5)

#29 lyricnz

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

Where to source these?  They seem as rare as hens teeth.

#30 StuartAUS

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

mate my work sells them so that helps, but as fair as I am aware they have heaps in stock. I can point you in the right direction if you need.

#31 Socrates

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

Anyone know of backpacks which have drink bottle holders at the front straps of the pack? I like to be able to drink from a bottle and place it back in quick while on the run.

#32 hillclimb

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

View PostSocrates, on 30 August 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

Anyone know of backpacks which have drink bottle holders at the front straps of the pack? I like to be able to drink from a bottle and place it back in quick while on the run.
There's not many backpacks that have a front bottle holder due to bounce and movement in placing a bottle at the front.

I have an Inov-8 Elite 15 Race pack and this comes with an optional 500ml bottle holder that attach to the front straps by velcro. Even with only 500ml I find that when this bottle is full there is too much bounce above 10km/h, so I only fill it to 3/4 full.

Another option that I use for a front bottle is that Fuel Belt sells a single bottle with a belt loop that can be attached to the waist belt of your backpack, but this is only suitable for shorter runs.

#33 Socrates

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the advice hillclimb!

#34 BarefootBj

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

View PostSocrates, on 30 August 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

Hi mate, both the Salomon S-Slab 12 and the Salomon S-Slab 5 has those. Great for sportsdrink in bottles and only use water in the bladder... I have both btw, fantastic packs, expensive yes but I wouldn't run with anything else! :)

Edited by BarefootBj, 05 October 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#35 Owly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

I tried on the UltrAspire Kinetic today but I don't think it's designed for women due to the chest strap being in the wrong position.  Shame as I really loved everything else!

Can anyone recommend something similar designed for women or with a chest strap that can be adjusted up or down so it can be moved out of the way of breasts?

Edited by The Owl, 06 October 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#36 Running Angel

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

Owly get yourself an S-Lab, you won't regret it. Love mine <3

You can try it when you come up if you like, I have the SM and Mark has the ML, not sure which size would fit you better

:Angel: