Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Ultramouse

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:54 PM

Severely underdone but have signed up for 100 painful kilometres for some reason.

#3 ben_guts

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 10:02 PM

I'll be there! It's a fun day out, with fun being a very relative term - i.e. it is more fun than trying to wear a beard made of bees.

But otherwise what I remember from last year is that ringing the bell at the end is great, and that the switchbacks leading up the second hill (at least I think that is where they are/where) where murder last year. If it is hot carry a bit more water towards the middle of the day than you would have otherwise (at least that is my - very unsolicited! - advice).

#4 Ultramouse

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:27 PM

I started a similar thread on an ultra runners' Facebook group and got even fewer responses. I'm sure there will be more than three of us up there at sparrow's fart on Saturday.
It seems that individual races aren't well discussed on CR any more.  Not like they used to be anyway. As a forum to join in order to enhance one's excitement for an upcoming race it's fast losing relevance. The Politically Incorrect thread and Things That Irk Me are taking over.
Anyhow, Ben and Goat, see you Saturday.

#5 AussieAussieAussie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:11 AM

Yeah the olden days of the good old chat on here and having a bit of a dig at eachother before the race are well and truely over I think. Sadly.

Ultra 168 just posted a race preview article, looks like there quite a few more than just you guys lining up. Should be a great event! Going to be HOT on Thursday, predicted top of 31 degrees! Cooling down to mid-high 20's for race day. Still warm though.

Is that hill with the switchbacks the one coming up from Baxter Creek suspension bridge? It's a killer! I hope that's what you're talking about and not another monster hill.

Good luck everyone, I'll see you up there!

#6 ben_guts

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:51 PM

I concur - bring back the harmless banter! That may be the hill - my knowledge of the geography there isn't great. I do remember a run along a dry river bed (watch the ankles: the rocks are sh*t size for such things) and then dying up a hill. If I knew what my race number was then I would tell you to say hi at Sparrows on Sat!

#7 AussieAussieAussie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:35 PM

View Postben_guts, on 20 October 2015 - 09:51 PM, said:

I concur - bring back the harmless banter!
And maybe while we're at it we can -
Bring back the biff.
Bring back that loving feeling (that you've lost).
Justin Timberlake has been doing a good job at bringing sexy back, so we can leave that one with him.
Also bring back Andrew G, I don't like this Osher Ginsberg clown.

Back to the topic though; I was just doing the rounds of the various weather forecast websites (they all differ so I find the best way is to keep looking until you find the one with the most favourable conditions, or just mix and match the best parts from different sites to come up with your own positive outlook, hahaha) and the general consensus is still 25-26 expected max, but the overnight low is still a relatively high 16-19 degrees, makes for a warm start. Also there's a chance of rain, one site claiming a 90% chance, and also high humidity of 75%. Ouch!
The beard of bees wont even work in those conditions, too much sweat so they can't get a good hold.

Edited by AussieAussieAussie, 21 October 2015 - 01:50 PM.

#8 ben_guts

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:00 PM

He will always be Andrew G.

If the weather is as the forecasts predict then hopefully the water stops will be a touch more frequent: I was in a very dire situation by the time I got to one of the water stops at the 50-60km mark.

Good luck out there y'all!

#9 MountainGoat

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:13 PM

Will be my first 100k. Longest I've done before is 80. Packing my bags for the checkpoints at the moment. From last year, is it easy enough to get sports drinks from the checkpoints, or should I pack my own?

#10 AussieAussieAussie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:26 PM

View PostMountainGoat, on 21 October 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

Will be my first 100k. Longest I've done before is 80. Packing my bags for the checkpoints at the moment. From last year, is it easy enough to get sports drinks from the checkpoints, or should I pack my own?
I'll eat/drink whatever I feel like at the aid stations but also I'm a big fan of taking my own, just in case, and maybe you won't be used to whatever brand they have at the aid stations. I know endura gives me wild stomach cramps every time I drink it during a race, doesn't stop me from having a crack at it a couple of times a year though. I always regret it.

The aid stations sound like they'll be pretty well stocked, but you never know what you might be craving (or what your stomach can handle) in those later stages. Some tried and tested stuff is, I find, the best bet.

Good luck. Only 3 sleeps! Eeeekkkk.

#11 ben_guts

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:44 PM

Kickoff in about 8 hours. Good luck y'all!

#12 Ultramouse

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:18 PM

Alarm goes off in about 4 hours.
See you on the start line.

#13 AussieAussieAussie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:22 PM

Remember - slow and steady wins the race. Except if its a real race, then the fastest person wins. Hahaha.

See you there!

Edited by AussieAussieAussie, 23 October 2015 - 10:23 PM.

#14 AussieAussieAussie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

So how'd everyone go, pull up OK? Wasn't as hot as glasshouse was, thank god.

#15 Ultramouse

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:42 PM

I have the quads from hell from what seemed like 5000m of downhill rock hopping. And during one such downhill rock hop I came a cropper from which my arse is still very painful.

#16 MountainGoat

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:45 PM

Feeling very sore today! Quads, calves and knee!! Checked the results out and I was in the top 10 overall at 42k but lost places as it went on. Lost plenty just in the last 10km!!!!

Had one stack, on a relatively fat section!!!! Tripped over something, but my shoe was coming apart so that might have had something to do with it. Was able to change them later.

#17 ben_guts

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:02 PM

I was having a great time for about the first 25 kays, then the next 25 kays were bearable, which took me to halfway. Then the wheels fell off during the next ten kays (I suspect due to committing the fatal mistake of trying multiple new things in my food/fluid plan all during the one race!), and although I was going alright time-wise going from the 60km mark to the 70km mark was causing me significantly more harm than good so despite some fantastic encouragement from the NUTRs at checkpoint 5 I bailed at the 70km mark (about 7 1/4 hrs or so).

My pre-race plan had been to go out hard and hang on for as long as possible. I'm happy(ish) with my attempt. Troy set a great time to try and run down in 2016.

#18 MountainGoat

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:28 PM

I kind of had a nutrition plan, and now that I think about it, forgot most of that plan during the race. Might have done better towards the end if I ate and drank more. I say might - because the knee was still an issue.

Finished, but slower than expected. Learned quite a few things that I can put in practice next time.

#19 MountainGoat

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:31 PM

Just put up my blog about the event.

Www.theultrarun.blogspot.com.au

#20 unicron

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:04 AM

Bump!
Strongly considering doing the 100K run in October 2016. A couple of questions:

*Thinking of walking/jogging, probably aiming for 10-12min per K average over the whole event. What's the cutoff and would there be many other participants at that pace?
*Anyone know what the entry fees were this year?

Originally I planned to do the Oxfam walk but it was getting too hard to find a team of 4 with similar fitness and goals. At least this way I can just go my own way and will just register with a couple of other like minded friends.

#21 AAARacing

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:43 PM

Comment no longer available.

Edited by AAARacing, 19 March 2018 - 07:41 AM.

#22 unicron

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:10 PM

View PostRun_Queensland, on 19 November 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

Hi there, Unicron, Alun here from RQ.

Cut off for the 100km is 28 hours so basically, under 4km/hour.  We've set the event so that anyone of reasonable health, condition and a little fortitude can finish.  Our final finisher last year (Katie Faulkner), signed up the night before after contacting us and walked the entire way.  Her splits were ridiculously consistent and she finished in 23:20:43

Check out the results and history tab at http://blackall100.com/

As for the lack of banter on here, yes, it seems a long stretch from the situation a few years back where every race seemed to draw a long thread.  Not everyone is on Facebook so it's something of a shame to see it this quiet.  I did post prior to last year's event but didn't seem to draw much interest.  I'd welcome healthy discussion in this forum (for all our events), as it's more inclusive.

Cheers!
Any idea what the prices will be for 2016? Or if not, what the fees were from this year?

#23 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:14 PM

Anyone doing this race this year?

Entries are now open and Iím all signed up :)

#24 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:01 PM

^ thanks for the reminder.

Wife now all signed up for the 100 I’m looking forward to a week in Noosa.

Win win.

#25 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:25 PM

^ you are very welcome :D

#26 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:06 PM

Hi jindalee can I ask how you are getting there? and other logistics? are you staying at the campsite?
i want a 100km race and this seems a great way of doing it, suitable for me who is slow.

#27 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:37 PM

View PostBeesKnees, on 05 April 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

Hi jindalee can I ask how you are getting there? and other logistics? are you staying at the campsite?
i want a 100km race and this seems a great way of doing it, suitable for me who is slow.

Hey

Havenít looked properly into logistics yet, but most likely fly to Brisbane and hire a car to drive to mapleton. I mentioned the campsite to my partner a d he is not too keen on a dorm with bunk beds so will most likely to look for a b&b or something.

^ and yes, it looks like a great race :)

#28 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:49 AM

Wow! How much fun was this?!? :)

I had a great time doing the 100k and totally delighted that I finished my first 100k.

Really enjoyed the trail and the volunteers were absolutely amazing!

#29 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:35 PM

Oh My!!!  Have you just done this?!?  This was your first 100 wasn't it?
RACE REPORT!!! RACE REPORT!!! RACE REPORT!!!

#30 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:31 PM

^ Yes was my first 100k ( which I completed)

Hmmm... Race report. Let me think about it and update later. :)

#31 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:52 PM

Yes, race report please.  I've ran in some of the area, so it would be cool to read and relate.

Congratulations!!!!

#32 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:03 PM

View PostJindalee, on 23 October 2018 - 01:31 PM, said:

^ Yes was my first 100k ( which I completed)

Woohoo! Well done! Specially with the bad lead up you had!

#33 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:16 AM

Ok. Finally had some time for the requested race report even though I canít remember a lot lol

It started off with the Flight from Sydney to the Sunshine Coast being delayed by two hours at which point I started to panic a bit and get grumpy as I just wanted to get there, pack my drop bags ,as I was doing it without support crew, and pick up my number. We managed to get there with plenty of time so started to relax.
As it was a 6am start I went to bed at 9.00pm but was unable to sleep much so started to get really worried about finishing the race.

On the morning of the race I had a little cry as I got very emotional. I wanted to finish a 100k for a long time now and the date of the race was exactly 2 years after my cancer diagnosis so it was a very special day for me.

I started the race from the back as I didnít expect to be fast and I also wanted to enjoy the experience and try my best to finish.

First few km were on the road and already had some stunning views before we went onto the trails and down to the waterfalls. We then went back to the venue we stared from and some already wished that it was the finish line.
Off we went again to the trails and had some nice climbs and great views. At one section some 50k runners came towards us so there was a lot of hellos, good jobs etc shouted at each other for encouragement.
At around midday I was climbing up a big hill in the qld heat and humidity which took a lot out of me but the view on top was stunning so it was well worth it.
There were also two water crossings and lots of tree logs across the trail to climb over.
It started to get dark around 6.00pm so it was time to put on hi vis vest and headtorch and continue putting one foot in front of another to the next checkpoint.
The first checkpoint I hit when it was dark was CP5 (70km)  where they asked me if I wanted some company as they had a runner who was worried to continuing alone. Of course I said yes but even though I tried my best she was too freaked out and pulled out of the race. :(

So I continued on my own until I spotted another runner on her own. I said hi and we stared talking. As she said she was walking the rest I asked if I can join her as I had already decided earlier that I wonít be doing lots of running in the dark. So we hiked and chatted and saw 2 snakes on the road. :)
After about 85km the trail went back onto single track where we saw lots of frogs and had to pay lots of attention where to put our feet as there were lots of rocks and tree roots.
The last 4K were on the road so we decided to have a little run towards the finish which felt awesome. My partner waited for me just before the finish line and I had the biggest grin on my face when I crossed it and rang the bell.

Sorry I canít remember specifics of the run but I had a fantastic time! It was very well organised and the volunteers were absolutely fantastic!!

Bonus points to everyone who managed to read my ramble to the end!

Attached Files

Edited by Jindalee, 26 October 2018 - 07:22 AM.

#34 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:29 AM

I get bonus points.  It doesn't look like rambling to me.  Good report!

#35 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,540 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:31 AM

What bonus points?
....joking,
Great report!

#36 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 01:44 PM

Thanks Andy and UCB. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
Bonus points means Iíll buy you a drink when I see you.

#37 RunningSurfer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 06:39 AM

So good Jindalee! Sounded like a pretty hot and humid day so huge congrats on getting it done.

And now you are throwing free drinks around I clearly read to the end! Great report. �

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

#38 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:13 AM

Back this year for me second Blackall. :)
Doing 50km this time as the 100km just doesnít fit in my training schedule

#39 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:52 AM

^ hmmmm [/strokeschin]

#40 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:21 AM

^ come on! You know you want to! :)

#41 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:57 PM

^ yup.

Signed up last year only to pull out.

#42 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:01 PM

^ :( dont do that! (Unless one is injured of course)