352 replies to this topic

#1 HillsAths1

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:43 PM

Just wondering is CR becoming less relevant. Yesterday at Homebush there was a 10km race with a few thousand participants, however   there is no threads on CR that I can find.

Is there a shift away from CR?

What as CR members must we do to keep relevant?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 besty

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:15 PM

I remember years ago you would always get chatter leading into a race and plenty of race reports afterwards. Rarely happens in here these days. I suspect Facebook has something to do with it but not 100% sure.

So unfortunately as far as I'm concerned, the answer to your question is yes.

#3 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:28 PM

View PostHillsAths1, on 02 November 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

Just wondering is CR becoming less relevant. Yesterday at Homebush there was a 10km race with a few thousand participants, however   there is no threads on CR that I can find.

The 10km with a few thousand can stand on its own, doesnt need CR publicity, has free newspaper advertising.

I think, as CRs, and the type of people that frequent here, we (myself anyway) are and should be more concernded with the grassroot events which  really indicate the health of our sport. 90,000 at CtS but our sport is still minor compared to elsewhere in the world.

We had a grassroot trail run out at St Ives too, 600 odd entrants, up from last year, that is a good sign. I think there was a thread on that, but that's where our support should go.

#4 Ultramouse

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:28 PM

It's that scourge of society, Facebook.
Facebook tends to be inward looking; despite a longing to appear as witty and erudite as possible to as many people as possible there is still the desire to be a member of this 'group' or that 'group' to the exclusion of lesser mortals.
CR, by comparison, is open to everyone and is therefore more outward looking.
Unfortunately, Facebook groups have taken over the mantle of discussion fora (pl. of forum?) for many events. This has the effect of shutting out those who wish to learn more about the sport or particular events. In the past I have entered races that I first heard about on CR. It's getting harder to do that these days.
If we wish to keep CR relevant perhaps we must duplicate our posts to both FB and CR.
Perhaps there should be public vilification for those race directors or athletes who use FB in favour of CR.
Perhaps Colin, Stej, Riffraff, Ultramouse et al. should steer clear of the more flippant threads and concentrate on running issues. Just a thought...

#5 DefineNormal

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

My 2c is race talk is almost dead on the www including Facebook. (I've been lurking around CR for 11-12 years). There was definitely a shift to social media (fragmenting fb pages and groups, strava) but most of that was and is 'where do I pickup my racepack' 'where are the toilets' asked repetitively. I think it reflects that most people aren't really racing anymore and finishing is their main objective. On CR itself I find the forums very slow to load (more bloated than FB even. I see too many HTTP500 errors each week. Is it hosted in the US? I don't use the app and can't even remember its name) and the wiki is even slower probably turning off any newcomer arriving at the (horrible) CR homepage. The future if there is one I think is to lock the old these old forums, delete the wiki, streamlining in general and direct users to a new rep based forum along the lines on reddit or even better Stackexchange that is primarily designed for phones.

#6 Ultramouse

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

View PostDefineNormal, on 02 November 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

My 2c is race talk is almost dead on the www including Facebook. (I've been lurking around CR for 11-12 years). There was definitely a shift to social media (fragmenting fb pages and groups, strava) but most of that was and is 'where do I pickup my racepack' 'where are the toilets' asked repetitively. I think it reflects that most people aren't really racing anymore and finishing is their main objective. On CR itself I find the forums very slow to load (more bloated than FB even. I see too many HTTP500 errors each week. Is it hosted in the US? I don't use the app and can't even remember its name) and the wiki is even slower probably turning off any newcomer arriving at the (horrible) CR homepage. The future if there is one I think is to lock the old these old forums, delete the wiki, streamlining in general and direct users to a new rep based forum along the lines on reddit or even better Stackexchange that is primarily designed for phones.

I'm most impressed with your fluent Swahili, DN.

#7 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:18 PM

Yep, CR is dying for sure. But so is facebook, or at least it's purpose has changed dramatically.  Both are losing their lure for me...

#8 Davo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:20 PM

So where do we find out about new races?

#9 TurraRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:24 PM

I went in both the 10 and 5 yesterday and didn't check to see if there was a thread. For me personally, I like looking at the longer event threads, especially post race, but that's just me.......
I found CoolRunning in 2009 and love it.

#10 bingo01

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:55 PM

I hope it is still relevant.
I agree with the above poster re facebook being an 'inward' looking medium.  While I am on facebook for races and events, I do find it a little 'clicky' and you are either 'in' or your not.  (I could be more sensitive to that as I am not a very outgoing person).  I find the discussion more broader on CR for events, and like TR, I do like to read the reports - especially if they are for races that I have done, or am wishing to do

#11 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:48 AM

i like the word association thread.

#12 Option1

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:01 AM

As someone new here, I find it still relevant, but I certainly get the impression it's heyday has passed.

I also much prefer these types of forums to Facebook or, for that matter, the Reddit/4chan style.  Must admit I HATE the current trend of designing everything on the web for the phone.  It significantly reduces functionality and doesn't scale up well for those of us who still much prefer using full-blown PCs/macs/laptops.  It's flat out a very poor design philosophy.

Neil

#13 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:46 AM

One of the issues is lack of administrators, just for the updating of calendars, news links etc. The news links are old, calendars have no relevance, so that is a huge turnoff for casual or new CRs. The rest then just come here to engage in banter with others on existing threads. You can see that there are less new threads too.

Then you have the cases, which the OP has raised in other threads, where a poster asks a question, re training etc, but then does not take advice. FB exists for that type of poster, where you are not criticised or disagreed with. I disagree with BF about FB losing relevance...it still has the same 'lack of' relevance. It is there for announcements that will get you 'likes' and positive comments.

We cannot progress without disagreement--see Daniel Cohen's TED- yet people come here , knowing that they may get disagreement, then get upset about it...they need FB

#14 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:19 AM

I certainly hope Cool Running is still relevant as I still get a lot of enjoyment out of talking to a wide group of people from around the country on a wide variety of running subjects. It would be sad to lose that. I also use Facebook but more for necessity then enjoyment.

However I have noticed over the past couple of years the number of regular cool runners that have dropped off the radar and also the number of smaller events (I'm going on VIC here) that have stopped promoting there events on the forums here such as Portland, Traralgon, Trails Plus events (Marysville & The Tan Ultra for example) and even Rohan Day and his team aren't promoting the Two Bays Events or next years Roller Coaster on here.

The fact is Cool Running is just another option for people along with Facebook etc,

I hope it survives in relevance but who knows.

#15 R00ster

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:04 PM

I think FB is a red herring. Traditional threaded forums like Whirlpool are thriving. CR's decline is mostly because of next to no maintenance and admins that haven't logged in for years.

I'm getting an impression that CR's current owner has no plans for the website to grow and will just keep it as is until the revenue falls below cost. No ads are displayed and no revenue earned on phones/tablets (50% of users and increasing) so clearly unchanged CR will be insolvent very soon. It's also quite clear that race directors and their revenue has abandoned CR.

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of Bellthorpe(Craig) and JoggerK(evin).
(Whois still has Kevin and Cool Running Sports Company as owner instead of Craig's CR Pty Ltd)

View PostUltramouse, on 02 November 2015 - 01:33 PM, said:

I'm most impressed with your fluent Swahili, DN.
Yeah sometimes I even make sense!

#16 chrisso

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:07 PM

Reddit is pretty all consuming for me these days... you can have one login, customise your interests by group 'reddit', see the top posts as voted rather than who just popped the thread to the top by adding a new reply. So it's kind easier to read about a whole bunch of things in one go rather than going from site to site.

#17 HillsAths1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:03 PM

As a long term contributor, I do hope it continues.

Perhaps it just takes a little more effort from the diehards to try and keep the site kicking on.

I am not sure if it the chicken or the egg question, but the downgrade of the CR website seems to go hand in hand with the lack of CR hats and singlets that you see at races and people out training.

#18 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

...I think there was more physical involvement under previous admin, which led to the merchandise etc and more support of grassroot events (this not entirely Craig's fault, but he sets direction).

However it points to part of the problem that in your OP you raise the lack of publicity of a 'newspaper event' rather than a local grass root event.

The answer you seek might be right in your question

#19 42junkie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:34 PM

I read this whole thread waiting to find out what an HTTP500 error is, but I ended up disappointed.

#20 Martin Dugdale

Trailrunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:33 PM

I agree that most events seem to be posted on Facebook  and sometimes not here. however pining for the past is not particularly  rewarding. I think we can all agree that it seems less relevant now but the answer surely is to post and discuss events here rather than on fb

#21 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:46 PM

I used to love reading and getting involved in the race threads, be they the big city races or smaller club style races, but that excitment seems to have gone from the threads. I love reading the race reports also, but not many people post them anymore...

I never used CR for the calandar or anything else other than the forums. I don't get involved in FB race threads...

#22 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

The big appeal of this forum to me was the talk before and after specific running events.

I don't believe the administration has anything to do with the discussion on the forum.  It is the users that dictate the discussion and I can't see how the admin influence this.  Note that I am an owner of a forum that I do not participate in as much as I used to.

I believe a lot of friendships have been made through CR, and now these people no longer need CR to connect and share their running adventures.  I am connected to many people on Facebook that I first met through CR.

#23 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:53 PM

I did use CR for the calendar but this petered out a few years ago.
I am wondering whether that was cause or effect.
I would tend to view CR to see if there were upcoming runs and then look at threads.

Colin, it appears to me the OP was using the Summer Starter to say that if a largish (and new) recent run isn't generating postings and race reports, then what will?
All 3 of us support grass roots running and I have been guilty of promoting small runs through CR.
The larger runs don't have to cannibalise the smaller runs. The larger runs quickly garner prestige through size and the fields they attract through prize money.
They have to keep that through organisation and service.
The smaller runs are sometimes a slower build but can attract those quality fields where elites put back into the community and they see they are looked after, quality organisation, an interesting course and so on.
The smaller runs can be like training, the larger ones like races, that target race to lift for.

Yes, elegant solution, if you want to revive race threads don't (or don't only) post race reports on FB.
Not sure FB format suits race reports anyway.
I'm not on FB but what I see posted on open/public pages about runs seems to be pretty brief; a line or two, or even just forwarding a link, so not sure why people choose that over analysis and information (apart from a few photos).

#24 bingo01

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:29 PM

I was thinking a bit about this today and I thought that the best way to describe cool runnings as a bit like a running expo (not that I have ever been to one - the only expo I have been to was Expo 88 - now I am showing my age!)
When you first start, it all great and there is heaps of info.  you look around and take a look at all the stalls.  Some you are interested in, and the others you might just feel sorry for them as there is no-one looking at them - but is all info and you take it all in.
Because you have a season pass the expo - you can go back all the time.  There are some new stalls, but a lot the stalls are the same.  There are a few discussions which are held which you look at  - they are generally spirited and well mannered.  People are articulate and let each person have their turn before the next person does.  Every now and again, someone will come in break up the discussion and will talk about ducks, or something totally off topic.  But that is all good and you have a bit of a laugh while taking it all in.  Some people just come in to watch the discussion, occasionally you might say some thing, and mostly people will debate fairly
The more you go, and the less new stuff, you do not go back to the expo as often.  There has been a new place that has been opened up - full of ultra running hipsters with beards - you have a look - They are all running bigger, longer, faster, harder.  You feel a little intimidated with your 5:15 marathon, but you still have a look.  You don't quite fit in there - you are not hard core, or a sycophant,  and you actually enjoy running parkrun on Saturday.
So you go back to what you know - the expo - it is getting more and more quiet; but there is something familiar and good about the expo.  You feel welcomed and you feel that your voice will be heard and acknowledged. There are the same people there - they are still arguing the same point, but most of the time it is respectful.
The Expo is good, but for how long???

Anyway - that is my two cents worth.  I like Cool runnings.  I enjoy the discussions and the banter.  Personally - I feel that most of the posters enjoy the discussion and will agree to disagree.  Personally, If I had a training question - I would post it here before anywhere else - much more varied response.

Edit- more of admission, I do like Facebook, but I feel more intimidated by the groups and more feeling like"I'm not worthy' (reference to Wayne's world!). It is a great source of info, but I contribute far more here than there!

Edited by bingo01, 04 November 2015 - 06:54 AM.

#25 ninjette

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:48 AM

View Postbingo01, on 03 November 2015 - 10:29 PM, said:

There has been a new place that has been opened up - full of ultra running hipsters with beards - you have a look - They are all running bigger, longer, faster, harder.  You feel a little intimidated with your 5:15 marathon, but you still have a look.  You don't quite fit in there - you are not hard core, or a sycophant,  and you actually enjoy running parkrun on Saturday.

Beautiful!! :rofl: :rofl:

#26 rohan

rassum brassum msblsssl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:14 AM

View PostRobert W, on 03 November 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

and even Rohan Day and his team aren't promoting the Two Bays Events or next years Roller Coaster on here.
Actually in the past I often waited until someone else launched a Two Bays thread and ran with that.

Two Bays is a race that grew up in the Facebook era, so almost from the official start had more traction on Facebook than it did on Coolrunning.  Fairly quickly it grew to a similar size to Six Foot Track, but while people came to Coolrunning for Six Foot banter, Two Bays banter was on Facebook, and there were way fewer threads and comments.

I'll go off and look for a Two Bays Thread today and launch one if I don't see one.

re Roller Coaster Run. fyi that has been sold to Sean ( Mr G ) Greenhill and company. I was feeling thinly spread, with the launch of Wonderland Run in the Grampians this year.

re Leadership of CR.  I'd mention something of a parallel and that is Transitions the triathlon forums.  For many years their owner was totally AWOL and it puddled along fine.  I wonder if the fact that it threw pretty much all threads into one bucket with less subdivision than CR actually helped it. So people felt more of one community.

My $0.02 would be to archive and almost hide all the historical CR stuff. (wouldn't delete because some is good ref on occasion).  Have one simple portal window with way less subdivisions.

#27 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:20 AM

View PostDavinator, on 03 November 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

Colin, it appears to me the OP was using the Summer Starter to say that if a largish (and new) recent run isn't generating postings and race reports, then what will?

I know that, that was my point. The health of running scene, and CR, was never dependent on how many thousand runners at CtS

#28 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:21 AM

Rohan, I'm also on Transitions and don't agree with you. I've never felt welcome there, never felt part of the "community" like I do here. It has always felt like some sort of pissing contest - Kona, very male dominated, all about equipment, what the pros are doing, and very very little about actual training.

#29 rohan

rassum brassum msblsssl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:45 AM

View PostBogFrog, on 04 November 2015 - 09:21 AM, said:

Rohan, I'm also on Transitions and don't agree with you. I've never felt welcome there, never felt part of the "community" like I do here. It has always felt like some sort of pissing contest - Kona, very male dominated, all about equipment, what the pros are doing, and very very little about actual training.
Can't say I felt particularly welcome there either on occasion, but the banter was strong, there was a strong core group of participants, because of the less warmNfuzzy atmosphere there was also a largish group of lurkers/spectators, and once they started fighting a thread could go for a long time before getting locked/deleted.
There was action... even if it wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

#30 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:18 AM

I have been a CR member since it stated. I am member 31 and joined in the month it started. And yes it has changed a lot and so maybe less relevant than it was. When it started it was new and the best way to connect with like mined people/runners. The came the yellow and blue gear and CR was on a high that went like that for a few years but that certainly is not the situation now. FB has come along and CR has become less relevant for many.

For me it is still relevant but generally on threads about races I have entered or other topics that I may have a passing interest in and make a comment.

I still find it relevant b many of the regulars from the past have moved on and I miss them. I regularly use CR because it meets my need n some respects. I use FB but rarely for race info etc as I use CR I there is thread on it. To a degree I am sad it has changed but I know life is a constant change. As said I miss the members who moved on from posting or from running and so are not even at events.

Despite the change I would like to consider it is still a community with the possibility of making friends though CR such as BF for me.

#31 HillsAths1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:07 PM

My main point as has been pointed out that if a race that has attracted over 2000 competitors cannot find 1 CR poster who is willing to take the time to post then the chances for the smaller races are even more limited. I do agree with Colin (sorry cant agree to disagree) that CR is not dependent on CTS and similar events, however with events like parkrun,( which I see as a bridging course for new runners cant be attracted to CR), relegated to the others section, I am not sure where we will be  in 10 years time if we cant get some new blood.
Even the 6ft track master posters seem to have left the building.

#32 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:06 PM

Maybe needs an Instagram profile.

@coolrunningau

#33 CessnockRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:50 PM

For more general information about running I find CR very good. Plenty of people with experience to advise on race information, tips, etc and sections dedicated to equipment & injuries which I like and can't easily get on FB.

I do however find FB much easier to organise training runs with others and chat about results, share photos, etc. Just about everybody I know uses FB but most of them have no idea that CR exists unless I tell them.

I will be using both for a while yet.

Cheers,
Grahame

#34 R00ster

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:02 PM

Firefox has enabled ad blocking by default as of today and it blocks CR ads. Safari(Apple) has been promoting blockers since September. Blockers were already popular in Chrome and IE/Edge. No to put too finer point on it but CR only gets revenue from half its (desktop) users and revenue through browsers will approach zero in a year. Is any one going to completely rework how CR earns an income? If not, what's the asking price for licence, database and server account, as is? (manda at posteo dot de)

View Post42junkie, on 03 November 2015 - 05:34 PM, said:

I read this whole thread waiting to find out what an HTTP500 error is, but I ended up disappointed.
500 is a server error. Software requires an upgrade or hardware has reached its max capacity or both.

View PostHillsAths1, on 04 November 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

events like parkrun,( which I see as a bridging course for new runners cant be attracted to CR), relegated to the others section
The topics section has been overdue for a review for some years.

Edited by R00ster, 04 November 2015 - 04:05 PM.

#35 Davo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:57 PM

Coolrunning lost a lot of its spice when Rudi (Walker 1st) and Vegie-girl moved on.
But as Eagle says, nothing remains constant.

#36 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:55 AM

View PostDavo, on 04 November 2015 - 08:57 PM, said:

Coolrunning lost a lot of its spice when Rudi (Walker 1st) and Vegie-girl moved on.

You get what you want.

We had a vibrant pub with lots of discussion, new ideas, wacky ideas and disagreement and people were forced out because of sensitivity by ones who could not hold their argument.
Now we have an empty , dingy pub where old regulars with nothing to do wander in, recognise no one, try to make light conversation unrelated to running, talk about religion or politics to stir up some chatter, then check the FB instead.

You get what you push for, but when it arrives you are not happy.

#37 Ultramouse

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:28 AM

View PostColin, on 05 November 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

View PostDavo, on 04 November 2015 - 08:57 PM, said:

You get what you want.

We had a vibrant pub with lots of discussion, new ideas, wacky ideas and disagreement and people were forced out because of sensitivity by ones who could not hold their argument.
Now we have an empty , dingy pub where old regulars with nothing to do wander in, recognise no one, try to make light conversation unrelated to running, talk about religion or politics to stir up some chatter, then check the FB instead.

You get what you push for, but when it arrives you are not happy.

A good analogy.

#38 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:32 AM

My 2c

Agree that CR has lost it's vibrancy.

I miss some of the 'characters' - I like hearing differing opinions and ideas.

Who else misses the discussion of the elite level of the sport - discussion about competition and major events? People like Lee Troop used to post on CR - nowadays I'd bet that many people on CR would say, who?

Nowadays I spend most of my time on Fetcheveryone (UK based) it's vibrant, welcoming and full of characters.

Maybe bring back the CR gear, make CR visible to the running community and maybe it will encourage new members to join.

#39 OurDogScruff

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:41 AM

I think it is still relevent, but as mentioned above, the wiki home page is and always has been awful.  These days it looks more abandoned than ever.  I expect many users will land there and give it no further effort.

From there you click on 'Our forums' and are presented with way too many forums.  Which is proved by the number of people who are new and start their post with, 'Sorry if this isn't the right place'.  Bin all of the forums and split them into two forums 'Running', 'Chat'.  Expand from there as required.

The mobile site is unusable if there are more than a couple of pages as you cannot navigate quickly to the last page.  But you can use an great app called.....Irrelevant.  

And the calendar.....Is it surprising it doesn't get used.  The link at the top of the forum page takes you to a 'calander', how very useful.  The race calander can only be got to, that I know of, from the wiki home page, it needs to be in the forum.  Not stuck on the home page which looks dead.

So it doesn't surprise me things have gone quiet over the years.  Yes there is Facebook, but it's not the death of all forums.  But how can CR attract any new users when they're greated with that home page that looks like the site is abandoned and they need to make so much effort to get to what they want to see.  It can't.

Edit: If the site was reworked slightly to improve the user experience.  And I guess if people want  it to be relevent and live on then we actually need to lead by example and post here too.  Did a parkrun on the weekend, post a short report about it.  That will encourage others to do the same.  Running forums aren't dead, as is proved above.  So CR isn't giving people what they want from a running forum, currently.

Edited by OurDogScruff, 05 November 2015 - 06:34 PM.

#40 MikeLikeRun

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

Would it be cynical to suggest that with ever reducing attention spans no one can wait for a race to write up a report about it, and all the activity has moved to the 'how was your run today' thread instead and people write about their training day by day.  I have seen the occasional race report in that thread.

The sub 3 hour marathon thread looks vibrant, but its a bit out of my league to be personally relevant.

#41 OurDogScruff

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:45 PM

It doesn't have to be race reports.  Could be anything.  I followed the sub 3 hour thread for a while.  Not looked for weeks.  But it was full of race reports, training, advice, and how people were trying to achieve the goal the last time I did look.   Exactly what it should be about.

So it serves a purpose.  Is about running.  So lives on.  Idiots are told to go and post in the 'chatting about crap' forum.  Simple.

I don't think we do have ever reducing attention spans, or are that 'time poor'.  We're told we are.  So we buy more products :)  And can have more time sitting on our arses, watching our ever expanding TV screens 60+ inches, seriously?!?, complaining about how busy we all are, while drinking our breakfast from a carton because we're just too busy to eat breakfast these days.  :Sick: :LOL:

#42 JXT

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:02 AM

I agree that some of the lustre has gone, but CR is still very relevant to me. The sub-three thread inspired me to run that benchmark twice this year - lots of fast guys freely giving advice and encouragement, along with others like me trying to run quick-ish for the first time.
I'm also a fan of the 'how was you run today?' thread, as it gives me a lighter look at everyone's running.
Years ago, the first timer marathon thread was extremely active but that's died off. Given the average finish time for marathons is around the four-hour mark, I'm surprised there's not a sub-four thread.
I find CR much more inclusive than the US RW forums. They are very keen to shoot down ambition and maintain an inflated mystic around running a marathon. CR encourages anyone to have a crack.

#43 hillybilly

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:34 PM

I agree that in the past couple of years a lot of the conversations that used to occur on CR have moved over to runnning groups on FB, but I think CR is still very much relevant. I think a lot of other runners pass on through or have a browse and leave. The content related to training and injuries are very helpful.

I feel the site just needs a big tidy up and reboot. The front page is overwhelming, with a lot of the links out date irrelvant or maybe no longer pertinent. Maybe a simplification of  the forums scheme and an archiving of older data older, but who manages this and pays for it I don't know.

Just my two cents worth and not intending to upset anyone with my thoughts.

#44 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:26 AM

There is a person who 'owns' CR but I don't know what that means. I agree it would be nice to tidy it up. Like why does 'bandit runners' appear on the home page and it has been inactive for over a year. What looks neglected might be neglected. Shame really as a vibrant, active and relevant running site would be a way of making more widely known and popular.

#45 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:26 AM

View PostJXT, on 08 November 2015 - 09:02 AM, said:

Years ago, the first timer marathon thread was extremely active but that's died off. Given the average finish time for marathons is around the four-hour mark, I'm surprised there's not a sub-four thread.

I think the sub 3 hour thread is an aspirational one. As you say, 4 hr is 'average', we are not inclined to aspire to being average.

However, a 'first timer' thread is/was useful...I can't contribute too much to it though. Everyone's experiences are different. In my case, I just entered a marathon off a longest ever run of 7km and finished it...then ran some more...wasn't too complicated.

However, when it comes to getting the few minutes/seconds required at marginal potential effort, then there are tweaks that can be done.

#46 toolittletoolate

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:07 PM

I have been on here for 4 and a half years and it certainly seems that the participation level and number of new threads on here is diminishing.  As to its relevance, I think that will depend on the person and what they want from the forum.  For me as someone new to running 4 years ago the site has proved an excellent resource for help, hints, tips, goals, inspiration and good humor and conversation with like minded people.  In that regard I still find it relevant just not as busy as it used to be.
Interestingly I am a member of a few other forums mostly car and motorbike related and these have also seen a steady decline in participation and a move to using facebook instead.  I think for many; the more instant update and group sharing, as well as it is easy and takes little or no effort to use, makes it the preferred option.  I myself find the short but often not sweet nature of the comments on facebook a little too abbreviated and like my running conversations and stories to be a little more complete.  I do fear however that I may be of a dying breed !!

#47 abcxyz123

CoolRunner

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:37 PM

I just joined after lurking for a little while.  I'm not on Facebook so I felt the need to do my part and help keep this forum active.

#48 loubee

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:06 PM

Coincidentally I was talking to someone about the difference between a popular mums Facebook group and CR just yesterday. The former group is all about the individual, selfies and garmin shots. CR still has real discussions, good information and a large dose of banter. I've always enjoyed reading the race  reports although I'm a bit lazy to write my own.  With my current injury it was CR I came to for others experience with it. So for me is still relevant.

I've met some great friends through CR and learnt a great deal.

Edited by loubee, 10 November 2015 - 09:28 PM.

#49 forp

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:31 PM

I don't use Facebook so much these days so I prefer to use Cool Running for discussing running things. I don't even know how you effectively have a long term discussion about a particular race or training on Facebook anyway.

I enjoy reading other people's experiences and preparations for the different races I'm doing. People here have provided me with great local insight about courses. The first marathon thread was especially helpful for me to get through my first one. Without having that to look at, I'm sure that it wouldn't have been as successful! I like to enter a lot of the local races in SE QLD, but always feel weird adding new races to the QLD forum as people seem less receptive to add their comments these days. Maybe I'll just ignore that feeling and do it anyway.  

A redesign of the site would improve things a great deal. If the main drive of the site is the forums, then maybe that should be the focal point on the homepage. I'm not sure about this forum platform but it may be able to be updated to a newer version which has better mobile integration, The site loads quite slow, but that could be the forum platform or the server. Whoever is running it may have these as a pretty low priorities though.

#50 Davo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:49 AM

View Postforp, on 10 November 2015 - 05:31 PM, said:

A redesign of the site would improve things a great deal.

And an update too.
On the homepage there is an advert that flashes on and off very quickly that says "Run with the herd in 2014"
Perhaps "someone" ought to tell "someone" that 2014 has come and gone.