12 replies to this topic

#1 BogFrog

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:57 AM

Interesting article this issue on the differences between training male and female athletes. According to the author, women take longer to trust their coach and need to understand the purpose of each session prior to completing it, whereas guys just get in and get the job done with little questioning. I can see that...

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Stej

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:17 AM

Or the coach could just try to understand their athlete as an individual and try to get the best out of them by tailoring an approach suited to their needs.

#3 pushthesky

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:01 PM

p26 "in 1967 Kathrine Switzer was the first woman to officially run what was then the all-male Boston Marathon"

1. no women could officially enter until 1971
2. Roberta Gibb finished in 1966, 1967, 1968 with times superior to Switzer.
3. I like Switzer just wish she would stop trading on this and trade instead on her many successes eg. Avon

View PostBogFrog, on 17 April 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

Interesting article this issue on the differences between training male and female athletes. According to the author, women take longer to trust their coach and need to understand the purpose of each session prior to completing it, whereas guys just get in and get the job done with little questioning. I can see that...
Confirmation bias? The part I agree with is women females have a better work ethic and I think the proof is greater female depth at elite level.

Edited by pushthesky, 18 April 2016 - 03:02 PM.

#4 Quinkin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:50 PM

I just received my copy of R4YL. Initially I was confused, I thought they had sent me a NZ copy of the mag. NZ race reports that I am not that interested in. A lot less local races reports and results, which I used to enjoy, it gave the magazine a real community feel.  The combined Aust/NZ format doesn't work for me, I am interested in Australian running, not the NZ track and field championship results for example.

#5 RunningRagged

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:47 PM

I haven't seen this in the newsagency for several months. I've also seen comments from people with subscriptions that they haven't
been receiving issues recently. Does anyone know if they are still going or have busted?

Edited by RunningRagged, 10 December 2018 - 07:50 PM.

#6 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:58 PM

^^^ Saw this thread and immediately thought to myself that I hadn't seen my copy come in the door in a long time.

It's not what it used to be though...

#7 alilypad

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:09 PM

I haven't received a copy since the Aug-Sept edition.  I'd only just re-subscribed. It's a shame, aside from the money,  I really enjoyed the magazine...

#8 CantPaceIt

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:15 AM

I also haven't been sent a copy since the Aug-Sep edition. I sent an email and got no reply. The website looks like it hasn't been updated in a while.
Last week I visited a newsagent who always stocks it and it wasn't there.
Looks like they are finished, can anyone confirm it?

#9 Andrew2

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 04:17 PM

Wouldn't surprise me at all if its folded. Via various special offers (City to bay finisher, SARRC membership, etc)  I've had years of copies for minimal cost, and i had another couple of years free to go.   To me it looked like produced on a minimal budget, with no sub editors, but i quite liked it and would have paid your actual cash if they hadn't effectively given it away.
Interesting that I've never seen any mention of Runners World on CR.  Given that its essentially a graphic design challenge to spin out very little content to magazine length,  I wonder how they survive.  Perhaps gloss trumps content. Discuss, or perhaps not.

#10 DrinksRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:45 PM

Sort of on topic.
I used to get run for your life.
Just got cheap editions when they were offered 1/2 price. I didnít mind it. Liked the local race top 10 results feature.

I ordered Australian athlete from runners tribe.
25.95 plus postage.
Ended up being $31.95, but got a bonus new balance runners tribe singlet and Steigen runners tribe socks.
So book almost free after those sweetners.
Lots of content in the book.

I read a lot of runners tribe articles on facebook, and I guess I am there target market and it was a great offer, and arrived just before Christmas.

#11 Stej

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 10:33 AM

I quite liked R4YL, especially the efforts to have articles on current results, clubs, and Australian / NZ specific content.

#12 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:25 AM

my sub ran out with the Aug-Sept edition. Agonised if I should re-subscribe and decided not to. Have I missed it? Agree that it isn't what it used to be. Was getting it more out of habit.

#13 alilypad

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:35 PM

View Postbobbys, on 30 December 2018 - 06:25 AM, said:

my sub ran out with the Aug-Sept edition. Agonised if I should re-subscribe and decided not to. Have I missed it? Agree that it isn't what it used to be. Was getting it more out of habit.

bobbys, you're lucky to have not re-subscribed and wasted your money.  Still have not received my subscription and no reply to numerous emails.  Very very frustrating!!  Aside from the waste of money, what annoys me more is the lack of communication to regular subscribers who have been supporting the magazine for years.