11 replies to this topic

#1 af15

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:38 PM

Giving some thought to entering the marathon at this event; looks like a good course and conditions for a PB attempt. Anyone else thinking of entering?

For anyone who's done this previously...
  • If I understand the website correctly, getting to the start involves A. Pre-purchasing ferry tickets for the charter service when entering the race | B. Wear the wristband "ticket" on race day | C. Be on a ferry at or prior to 5am? I'm assuming there are sufficient ferry services to get all the marathoners over to Devonport in time for the start?
  • Any recommendations for accommodation convenient to the ferry terminal?
  • Any other tips / comments / advice?
Thanks! :)

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 dylcross

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:05 PM

Hi af15,

I did Auckland last year and thought it was a fantastic event. Definitely my highlight of 2015 event-wise. Really well organised and couldn't fault a thing from rego to the finish line. It's not the flattest course in the world over the first half but it was nice and cool in comparison to Newcastle that time of year, and based on your shorter distance signature times, it should be a PB course ;) .

WRT your queries, from my experience:
  • 100% you will need to pre-purchase ferry tickets at time of rego to make your life easier.
  • Yes the wristband was required in 2015.
  • First Ferry was at 4:30am and it takes about 15min to get to Devonport. I got that one and got a seat fine.
  • The ferry terminal is close to the CBD so you will have a multitude of options for accommodation within walking distance (less than 2km). Also within hobble distance from the finish line.
There are some good course guides online with examples of the elevation over the first section up to the harbour bridge (pretty sure Robin put them in the Auckland thread from last year), they were helpful.

If i wasn't in for Melbourne this year i would definitely be back, good luck!

DC

#3 af15

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:40 PM

Heya dylcross, thanks for that - much appreciated.  Just waiting out the recovery period after GCM atm, once I'm back in full training again I'll enter, book flights/accom etc.

#4 moby

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:41 AM

Hi af15

I did Auckland marathon in 2014. Good event but the first 15km are pretty lumpy (I certainly under estimated this) and the second half can be very windy as it is out and back along the bay.

I stayed at The Sebel which is very well located in between the ferry terminal and the event finish line (walking distance to/from both) and some good food and coffee options close by as well.

I caught the first ferry over to the start and was there way earlier than I expected. Given the time difference I think it meant I was up at 2am Melbourne time but in hind sight I could have slept in a little more and caught a later ferry!

#5 af15

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:40 PM

No takers to come along this year, how sad :p

Anyhow, thanks for the tips dylcross and moby! Flying out tomorrow. Training has gone ok although I'd rate myself as marginal for the PB. Just going to be sensible on race day and hope the taper + carb load does its thing.

#6 Robert W

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:33 AM

I'm doing the Queenstown Marathon a couple of weeks later but looked at this one too, maybe next year. Best of luck.

#7 af15

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:48 PM

PB in the bag! - after 42.2km, the margin was 34 seconds, and the rate I was bleeding time, even 1km more would have made the PB evaporate...it can really be a game of inches.

I'd recommend Auckland without hestitation for anyone considering a run in the region. Event is well organised, great conditions (i.e. not hot), field is relatively small and generally quite good crowd support along the way. Auckland is a lovely, friendly little city and with a bit of nosing around, one can find nice local cafes and restaurants a bit outside the city centre.

Do note, however, the course is a little hilly early on, and I did hear some other runners complain about the wind. I'd also note from around 37-39km, the course has a rail line to one side and a dock / industrial area on the other - so there is virtually no crowd support to distract you from the butt-kicking the marathon is inflicting on you at that point. Those are minor complaints, however; I really enjoyed the event and had a great time in Auckland.

#8 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:48 PM

I am heading to Auckland to run the marathon this weekend, anyone else heading over. We fly Friday and home Monday

#9 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

How did you go BeeKnees!!!

#10 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

Very happy with my run. I can only run/walk nowdays. I managed to run the bridge which I am really happy about. I ran to 1/2 (2.36) way except the Narrowneck Beach hill. Then just ran and walked the rest of the way, along the water towards St Heliers there was lots of people around riding bikes and walking, so I just said to myself run to that cyclist, run to that walker and so thats what I did for the 2nd half and the kms kept going. Very surprised to see so many behind me normally I am the very BOP which is a position I am very happy with. Your name was on your bib so people kept calling out my name which really was great. I have lost nearly 20kgs with Weight Watchers and there was a guy who was wearing army fatigues he was carrying a pack which weighed 20kgs so I thought to myself that was what I was carrying around. I finsihed in 5.42 my fastest time since I had knee surgery in 2013 so very very happy. I came 7th out of field of 12 in the womens 55-59 year old group, pretty sure that is posssibly my best placing ever.
Much thanks to my dear husband and his friend Martin who came out to support me.

#11 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 02:15 PM

Anyone doing Auckland marathon  this year? I will be there and my daughter and her Kiwi husband are doing the 1/2

#12 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:36 AM

Going to Auckland in December on holidays which is the wrong time but would love to do it one day, maybe next year.

Best of luck BeesKnees.