Very Obese Treadmill Runner Needs Help PleaseLooking for a 'Stress Test' program for my treadmill

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bellatrix

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:53 PM

Hi all, i'm new here... I hope I have posted in the right bit & apologies if not :Sigh:

Bit of history first if you like... I used to love running when i was younger, always made me feel great when i was out running but i have have a sit down job and haven't been running for quite a few years until about 4 years ago when I just started to get back into it for a few weeks and felt the joy I used to feel when I was younger and started to lose weight & get fitter, anyway it all went 'down the pan' when I rolled my ankle at work and tore two ligaments in my ankle, had to have two lots of surgery and was told by the Surgeon that I would never run again... as you can imagine the timing absolutely sucked and if i'm honest i went into a bit of a depression, piled on the weight and am now struggling to pass my yearly work medical that I have to take to keep me in my job :Cry: So last year I bought a treadmill to try and get some weight off. initially I walked & then power-walked, I still get pain in my ankle but it comes and goes and I have good days & bad. After a while I tried a bit of jogging, just a minute or so every 5 mins and to my surprise I could actually jog again! Never thought I would run again so I was elated! anyway since then I(or rather my family) have had the worst luck, my Daughter got taken ill and I have spiralled again, put more weight on over the last year(currently 157kg!) and have scraped through my last two medicals by the skin of my teeth but have been referred for a stress test on both. Sorry for the long story!

Anyway I don't know whether anyone reading his has done a stress test but what it is is you have a treadmill workout while hooked up to an ECG, they start it usually at about 2kph and then increment the speed & incline by 0.5 every 30 or so seconds till by minute 7 you are running at a fair pace on a steep incline. I made 9 minutes last time which was better than I thought!

I have a NordicTrack T15.0 Treadmill and went through the programs but couldn't find a 'Stress Test' type program that I could perhaps train on when I am getting near a medical. I also have the iFit module but never took it out of the box but didn't know whether I could download some sort of 'Stress Test' program to it? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks,
Bellatrix.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 sportsphysio

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:51 PM

Bellatrix, well done on keeping the motivation going despite some unfortunate luck/circumstances.

You're very unlikely to find a stress test program on any of your devices for a number of reasons:
1. It's a medical test that places extra load on the heart and therefore needs close medical supervision
2. You don't train for a stress test. It's designed to push you as far as you need to go to see how your heart responds. If you're less fit, the test just stops earlier but the results are still the same

Your best bet will be to train as you normally would and include some incline running. I'd also strongly recommend a strength program to support your running and, if possible, an exercise bike for cross training without impact or ankle limitations.

#3 Bellatrix

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:44 AM

Ah yes sportsphysio, that's a good point! I will look more into what the iFit module can do, perhaps walking/jogging with an interactive map will give me more enthusiasm to keep at it. thanks for the reply :)

#4 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:57 AM

Bellatrix, at 157kg and topping out at 9 minutes on a stress/echo (which is mostly walking phase during that 9 minutes) I honestly don't think you're ready to run. By all means get out and walk as much as you can, include some hills and perhaps a minute run here and there on the downhills. And, of course, fix up the diet, where you're most likely to get best bang for 'fitness' buck. From here I see it as a slow but progressive lifestyle change. You sound enthusiastic so I'm sure with effort and consistency you'll achieve good things.

#5 whatsinthebox

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:18 AM

View Postriffraff, on 16 September 2016 - 08:57 AM, said:

And, of course, fix up the diet, where you're most likely to get best bang for 'fitness' buck. From here I see it as a slow but progressive lifestyle change. You sound enthusiastic so I'm sure with effort and consistency you'll achieve good things.
this.
a change in diet will be so much more beneficial than any form of exercise (even if its not nearly as much fun)
plus it will improve your running.

#6 Hook

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:22 PM

I'm on my way back form a long term foot injury and I'm overweight also. I did as suggested above and changed my diet and started walking before I got back into running. I've lost about 10kg just from cutting out sugar and simple carbs. Nothing else really changed in my diet (apart from being more aware of what I'm eating).

I've been back running for a few weeks now and loving it. I know its tough (especially the diet bit) but I've seen too many in my family suffer through diabetes and I'm determined to not be one of them.

Good luck and best wishes :)

#7 Colin

Still dreaming...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:23 PM

I'm with Riffraff...you need to initially just focus on nutrition - get a good, accredited dietician- plus just  be more active in daily life, such as using stairs, walking to shop etc
In absence of professional help, some simple things is just cutting down all sugar, almost all carbs (just veg), try and eat to a plan that doesn't introduce hunger pangs, cut all bread, alcohol etc

good luck

#8 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:58 PM

Hi Bellatrix, Some good advice above. I will add my 2 cents worth. Firstly, you have done well to not give up despite hitting some hurdles. Yes, diet is very important! What you put into your body makes massive difference to what you will get back from it! You haven't mentioned your diet, but if there is room for improvement, then its definitely worth your while making it! You will reap the benefits. Secondly, Rome wasn't built in a day, so to get long term benefits, and hopefully keep injury at bay in the process, then start slowly and build up. I would think that being out in the fresh air and moving is much more inspiring than being on a treadmill. Walk, and run a little here and there where you feel you can, and just listen to your body, it will give you the best feedback of all. Its not about being fast, or pushing your body to the max at this stage, just enjoy being able to do a little more each day. Think about how your body moves. Think about your posture. If you are having pain or issues with that old ankle injury, perhaps get into a pool??? Or cycle if possible?? Maybe doing some work on your flexibility?? Keep it interesting, mix it up a bit. It will take a while for you to lose the weight, and run well, if that's what your goal might be. Think about how you used to feel when you ran previously in your life. You mentioned that it bought you joy. If your heart is in it, then your body and mind are more likely to follow suite, rather than it just be seeming like a lot of hard work. Anyway, best of luck, and keep us posted.

#9 wharfie

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:46 AM

Hi Bellatrix. Great to see a post from the west. I have been away from this forum for a while. Firstly I know what you mean as most do about the empowerment that running can give. For me it is a knifes edge. You battle and battle, and then suddenly you are running past your expectations, and yes even if you are slow by many peoples comparisons it makes you feel good. It makes you wake up thinking about your next run. Battled injury for a while and have only crossed that knife edge this week. Anyhow, enough about me.
You are a big unit, and yada yada yada, you have heard it all before about diet. No doubt there is truth there. I am not a big guy, still for me, exercise is the key to controlling my diet, having a goal physically, makes me control my eating. And yes, cycling and swimming would probably be best low impact for someone with a bung ankle. Perhaps you could go for a combination of 80% (bad medicine) low impact with 20% treadmill? For me cycling was a poor substitute for running, something done only when I couldn't run. In saying that, I still enjoy getting out on the bike now and then, Sadly these days its when I am riding to and from a pub.( we all have our vices ). I reckon an bike stationary or mobile would be a good investment if you don't have either. Perth has some good cycle paths.
Sports physio hits the nail on the head with conventional wisdom. Strength training, build muscle. Muscle needs calories even when resting? I myself find it hard to be motivated to lift heavy things.
Maybe there is a knifes edge to cycling and weights?
Well good luck in your efforts. I always found Coolrunnings a really great place to recharge my motivation.
I would also say remember the 10% rule. Steady, steady, in increasing your exercise plan. I myself work best if I make a plan using the 10% rule per week. Stops me getting over excited or getting lazy. obviously you can't just keep going at 10% but it is a good guide to making steady progress without stuffing yourself up.
Ps. Love your user name. I grew up reading those comix.

#10 richardegg

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:57 AM

Weight has a very large bearing on ability to run comfortably.

At 104 kg I got shin splints and Achilles tendinitis very easily.

At 92kg I can run with a degree of comfort for 10km+

#11 Bellatrix

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:00 PM

Didn't think I'd ever see this post again! Nearly 3 years on! Well the good news is I bit the bullet and had a Gastric Sleeve last year as I was in a vicious circle of weight gain and depression that I couldn't get out of, always said i'd never get it done unless it was the last resort, well... it was the last resort as I don't think i'd be here now if i hadn't have got it done. I had a guilt complex about having it and angry at myself that I couldn't lose the weight any other way but I am over that now as now I can RUN!! :yahoo:
I lost over 40kg so went from 160kg to 119kg but now winter is here i've started to gain a bit of weight again so I need to nip that in the bud and get back into my routine. Started doing 5mins fast walking and 30secs running, now doing 3mins walking and 70secs running. I respond really well to this kind of workout. Need to start doing the same on my treadmill so I've just oiled it and tightened and aligned the belt, just wish I could figure out how to use the iFit module it came with.
Hopefully be contributing a lot more posts on here in the future now that i'm back from the brink :)

#12 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:38 PM

Woohoo! Great update. Go for it and good luck. Itís definitely worth it to stick with running and keep us updated on your progress. :)

#13 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:25 PM

Thats great Bellatrix, and we look forward to more of your posts! I hope you really can get into some running and feel better for it. If there is a parkrun anywhere near where you are, i think it would be worth a go. You dont have to run, you can walk, or walk/run. Its free each week and you will meet lots of great people. Who knows where you can go from here??