56 replies to this topic

#1 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:14 AM

I thought it was about time we started a new thread for the 2017 race.

Let's keep all the fresh information on this thread.

As usual, very easy to enter when you are preferred. I am interested to hear what people think of the new lottery process.

Let the fun begin.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Andrew09

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:24 PM

I'll let you know about the lottery process when I get in.

#3 Road

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:32 PM

Preferred entry for the first time & buckle year. I'm glad I just missed the lottery process.There is never going to be a system to satisfy all. I prefer the first in system, where others may like the lottery. A shame that all can't get to do this iconic race. Probably my favourite event. Good luck to those in the lottery.

#4 tyotfo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:22 PM

Ive entered the lottery. I think its a good idea. I'd love to run this race but this is a way more orderly process than everyone just trying to buy into it within the first 30 seconds of it opening. What shall be, shall be.

#5 Andrew09

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:44 PM

The email notification is in. I got diddley squat. Anyway , I'm auditioning for Hot Seat in a couple of weeks so hopefully my luck will change then!

#6 trossy

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:44 PM

Lotto entrant here and just received an email confirming my place. Was a bit down on the lottery as I'd been successful last year using the old system but can hardly complain now. The system works!

Edit - ah bummer - Andrew09 posted at the same time as me - sorry you missed out mate - fingers crossed you get picked up in the next round after Friday.

Edited by trossy, 23 November 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#7 Andrew09

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:01 PM

Yeah fingers are crossed but I'd rather be a Six Foot Track competitor than a millionaire anyday!

#8 ChrisG

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:30 PM

I must be lucky, my first time trying to enter and I got an email confirming I'd been successful. I've now been on the site (once it became available, they had technical glitches for 50 minutes or so after it was supposed to be live at 5pm) and completed my registration. Now to find accommodation, everything already seems to be booked out!

#9 ChrisG

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:43 PM

Woohoo, everything around Jenolan Caves was booked out so I started looking around near the start instead and found Hotel Blue. Just staying the one night, I have to be in Sydney on the night of the 11th.

#10 IainMac

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:45 PM

I got in through the general entry lottery. Back for my second attempt at this one - loved the whole day, especially the atmosphere at the finish, when I ran in 2015 - so looking forward to next March.

While I'm happy I got in, personally I think the old first in best dressed system was better, although there will be plenty of people who disagree.

To Andrew09 and others who missed out - best of luck in the 2nd round lottery on Friday.

To those who got in - good luck for the next few months of training.

#11 Rilla

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:22 PM

Looking at the random picker thingy it looked like 750 spots were allocated from 1026 entries so a 73% chance of success.  I am happy to say I was one of the 73%.  Can't wait for my second crack at this event and hopefully a much better run than last year.

#12 IainMac

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:02 PM

View PostRilla, on 23 November 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

Looking at the random picker thingy it looked like 750 spots were allocated from 1026 entries so a 73% chance of success.  I am happy to say I was one of the 73%.  Can't wait for my second crack at this event and hopefully a much better run than last year.

I'm surprised that the odds were that good. I would have thought that this would suggest there was no need for a lottery system as a large majority of those who expressed interest got in.

#13 thomo

Left knee serviced. Walking wounded

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,408 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:53 AM

73% success rate.

I must have unlucky lottery friends. % the opposite way.

Good luck to all who wanted to and get to run.

Edited by thomo, 24 November 2016 - 06:54 AM.

#14 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:20 AM

Agree with Thomo, with all the people I know who missed out, I thought the odds were a lot worse than that.

#15 Rilla

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:38 AM

I could be wrong, I am basing it off this.  Do one of the RD's care to comment on success rate.

#16 Dave

There is life, death and 6ft track....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:59 AM

View PostRilla, on 24 November 2016 - 09:38 AM, said:

I could be wrong, I am basing it off this.  Do one of the RD's care to comment on success rate.

Yes that is the right number, of course the more runners we collectively know, the more of that 27% we may also know. I personally know many people who missed out as it is front of mind because they did miss, rather than all those who I also know who did get in

#17 alilypad

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:53 PM

No luck for me either :-( but fingers crossed for the second chance draw....(although really, who would turn down the offer....?)

#18 Andrew09

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:56 PM

Second round lottery draw has taken place. I guess it's diddley squat x 2 for me. :(

#19 alilypad

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:24 PM

Andrew, shame for you.  Sorry to hear you missed out.  

Me, well somehow got lucky and I'm in.  Quietly pooping myself!!!

Edited by alilypad, 25 November 2016 - 07:25 PM.

#20 riffraff

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:52 PM

65 punters gave up their first round entry?

Why did they even bother in the first place.

So in the end only about 200 missed out.

#21 tyotfo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:59 PM

Agree with riff raff, bizarre that people would apply on monday and jack it off by thursday. 45km run through the mountains isnt something you take lightly!

#22 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:13 AM

I would say people who didn't take up their offer used some vague email account without realising. I saw somebody on FB stating they hadn't received an email telling them if they were successful or not. I am sure they weren't the only person who didn't think to use an email that they have regular access to.

#23 backofthepack

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:14 PM

No luck in either the first or second rounds of the general entry. Five attempts to gain entry over the years and only in 2014 did I get to run SFT.

Que sera sera.

#24 thomo

Left knee serviced. Walking wounded

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,408 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:36 PM

View Postriffraff, on 25 November 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

View PostHorrie, on 28 November 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

I would say people who didn't take up their offer used some vague email account without realising. I saw somebody on FB stating they hadn't received an email telling them if they were successful or not. I am sure they weren't the only person who didn't think to use an email that they have regular access to.

Horrie says like it isFor many years the race director would say use a regularly used email address. Monday to Sunday access, so not a monday to friday work  email address.
Strike rate for friends still disappointing.

#25 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:49 AM

View Postthomo, on 28 November 2016 - 10:36 PM, said:

View Postriffraff, on 25 November 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

View PostHorrie, on 28 November 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

Horrie says like it isFor many years the race director would say use a regularly used email address. Monday to Sunday access, so not a monday to friday work  email address.
Strike rate for friends still disappointing.

So, in the end, people 'lost out' due to technology?

Irony.

That said,  the lottery system did appear to take the heat out of the situation.

FWIW the total number of lottery entrants was less than I thought it might be. The lottery process, whether you're a fan or not a fan, at least provides the organisers with an exact figure of who's interested in running this race. Previously, that would have been guess work.

#26 alilypad

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:27 PM

I wonder if some of those who received an offer in the first round found their spouses were unhappy with their plan to do Six Foot?  I know mine isn't happy for me to do it....but I just paid no attention and entered anyway!!  :Secret:

#27 Dave

There is life, death and 6ft track....

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:33 AM

View Postriffraff, on 29 November 2016 - 05:49 AM, said:

So, in the end, people 'lost out' due to technology?

Irony.

That said,  the lottery system did appear to take the heat out of the situation.

FWIW the total number of lottery entrants was less than I thought it might be. The lottery process, whether you're a fan or not a fan, at least provides the organisers with an exact figure of who's interested in running this race. Previously, that would have been guess work.

I think the big difference is lost out due to technology of their own making or responsibility (unattended email) vs losing out due to technology over which they have no control or input (time out, crash, system error etc)

Yes the lottery had a big reduction in post entry heat vs previous years and while we didn't previously know the potential number who might want to enter it did end up at roughly about what the gut feel was. There would still be some people who did not register for the lottery as it still was an extra process to go through vs just entering with an instant and confirmed spot.

#28 Road

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:40 PM

Took in 7km of the course today. Hopefully the tree across the stairs at the bottom of Nellies Glen is gone come race day. This part of the course is slow enough already. I'd imagine another several minutes would be added should it still be there.

#29 ChrisG

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

I've started my preparation quite late due to a hamstring strain, so ran Rob Roy (South of Canberra) twice in two days at the beginning of this week to gauge where I'm up to - the state of my quads for two or three days afterwards tells me there's lots more to do! :) After today there's no longer the excuse that "it's next year", tomorrow it becomes real!!!

#30 alilypad

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

Just signed up for the training weekend.  Should be either encouraging or terrifying, I'm not sure which yet.  Hope there are a few CR's heading up to the Blue Mtns on the 21/22.

Training going well so far, although i am fully aware of the need to keep hitting those hills.  It isn't easy when the body is telling you "enough"!!  Ran Honeysuckle Creek/Orroral Valley return on the weekend and before I knew it, I had suggested doing out-back-out next time - what tha'?  30km will be horrendous, but if it can be done, I will be one happy alilypad!

This is the hardest training I have ever done, and I know there's more to come!  Posted Image

Hope everyone else's training is going well!

#31 tyotfo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

Ran on the track this morning for this first time. Started at Megalong Valley and ran to Mini mini (and then back). Was out there for about three hours. Found the ascent to mini mini hard, it's typical unsealed trail hills that bust your lungs if you attempt to run them. Running back down was fun but then I decided to not run through the river but to go over the swing bridge. That is seriously scary! Will be the river for me now each time I train on those trails!

Found the return from Cox River to Megalong Road tough, the sun had come out and probably hadn't fuelled properly. Walked a fair amount of it. Good training for the main event - good to get used to the terrain. Think a good result for me would be anything under 6 hours. My best marathon is 3.43 and that was Sydney which is very flat.

The hills are going to kill me!

#32 David C

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:50 AM

View Posttyotfo, on 28 January 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

Ran on the track this morning for this first time. Started at Megalong Valley and ran to Mini mini (and then back). Was out there for about three hours. Found the ascent to mini mini hard, it's typical unsealed trail hills that bust your lungs if you attempt to run them. Running back down was fun but then I decided to not run through the river but to go over the swing bridge. That is seriously scary! Will be the river for me now each time I train on those trails!

Found the return from Cox River to Megalong Road tough, the sun had come out and probably hadn't fuelled properly. Walked a fair amount of it. Good training for the main event - good to get used to the terrain. Think a good result for me would be anything under 6 hours. My best marathon is 3.43 and that was Sydney which is very flat.

Hi Tyotfo,

That reads like a solid training run.  Welcome to the hills on the 6FT - unless you are among the front runners then expect to see everyone walking on the hills around you.

I have come up from the Coxes back to Megalong a number of times ... and can't remember one time ever running the hills.  It is simply too rocky and uneven ... as well as usually too hot being later in the day.

Cheers, David

#33 tyotfo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

View PostDavid C, on 30 January 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

View Posttyotfo, on 28 January 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

Hi Tyotfo,

That reads like a solid training run.  Welcome to the hills on the 6FT - unless you are among the front runners then expect to see everyone walking on the hills around you.

I have come up from the Coxes back to Megalong a number of times ... and can't remember one time ever running the hills.  It is simply too rocky and uneven ... as well as usually too hot being later in the day.

Cheers, David

What is harder, running back from Coxs to the Megalong Road or running the black range after Pluvio? They are both about 8km aren't they? I've never been on the Black Range but the grade looks less than Coxs to Megalong.

#34 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

Running Cox's River to Megalong Rd is a lot tougher than the Black Range. Black Range has its challenges but it is a lot more runnable.

#35 David C

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:32 PM

I note that the starting wave allocations are now on the web site.  I was in the wave I was expecting and a quick check of friends seemed to indicate that people were within one wave of expectations.

30 days to go!

#36 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

I got the wave I expected. It just made me realise how much slower I am these days. You know what they say. The older I get the faster I used to be.

#37 David C

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:57 PM

View PostHorrie, on 10 February 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

I got the wave I expected. It just made me realise how much slower I am these days. You know what they say. The older I get the faster I used to be.
Sounds like me running this morning.

#38 tyotfo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:19 AM

Did 30km yesterday in crazy heat. I will really struggle if its like that on race day. Im not really concerned about my wave selction (in wave 3), im looking for a solid 5.45 sort of time and i dont think that will be impacted by which wave im in.

#39 transfer161

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:11 PM

Just found a bit of history.  This was also the year the Six Foot Track made the The Wide World of Sport.

Attached Files

#40 frankie17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:35 AM

I have a spare single spot in a Family Room at Three Sisters Motel on the Friday night for $50.  It's a room for 4 and we have lost one through injury..

http://www.3sistersm...rooms-katoomba/

Three not-so-serious Sydneysiders, one in wave 3 and 2 in Wave 5.   At least one known snorer but suspect he will not be in the mood for much sleeping anyway.

We are very flexible as to arrival and departure time, If anybody is interested please message me.

#41 Dickie71

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

Is, or does, anyone use hiking poles?  I'm figuring I'm going to be walking a fair bit, especially after Coxs river, so are poles worth it?

#42 buckle

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:16 PM

View Postfrankie17, on 16 February 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

I have a spare single spot in a Family Room at Three Sisters Motel on the Friday night for $50.  It's a room for 4 and we have lost one through injury..

Three not-so-serious Sydneysiders, one in wave 3 and 2 in Wave 5.   At least one known snorer but suspect he will not be in the mood for much sleeping anyway.

We are very flexible as to arrival and departure time, If anybody is interested please message me.

Hello Frankie17,

I tried to pm you but received a message saying you can't receive any new messages.  Does that mean that the room is gone?  I'm keen otherwise.

Cheers

#43 frankie17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:28 AM

View Postbuckle, on 16 February 2017 - 05:16 PM, said:

View Postfrankie17, on 16 February 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

Hello Frankie17,

I tried to pm you but received a message saying you can't receive any new messages.  Does that mean that the room is gone?  I'm keen otherwise.

Cheers

That's odd cos my profile hasn't got any restrictions.  anyway I just PM'd you my email address.  Get me that way.  We may have to go nuclear if it doesn't...

ps the bed is still available.

#44 langswm

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:48 AM

View PostDickie71, on 16 February 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

Is, or does, anyone use hiking poles?  I'm figuring I'm going to be walking a fair bit, especially after Coxs river, so are poles worth it?
no need for poles. Never seen any in past 12 years

#45 sportsphysio

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:06 AM

FYI, I've got a mate with two nights accom in a double room at Caves House that he's looking to offload. PM me for details.

#46 David C

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:55 AM

Another great 6FT run and finished.  Well done to Vlad for his win.

I enjoyed the event with the only problem being the continued difficulties in bus transport home.

#47 tyotfo

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:25 AM

I got round it in 5.45. Enjoyed most of it but those last couple of km's down the stone filled trails when your feet and legs are smashed is torture. The aid stations were brilliant and so many volunteers, they really helped make the event. I have no idea what they were doing with the buses at 3.30pm, just seemed to go for ever trying to get people onto them. You had runners stood in queues for 45 minutes. Definately a great event though and a tough challenge for all levels of runner.

#48 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

View PostDavid C, on 12 March 2017 - 04:55 AM, said:

I enjoyed the event with the only problem being the continued difficulties in bus transport home.

Yep, all a bit painful and it showed on a lot of faces standing in the queue.

Not sure tho' if there are any real alternatives.

#49 David C

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

View Postriffraff, on 12 March 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

I think that the alternative is to let more buses out earlier. After all, it is a bit tough to (in effect) not let people drive to the caves and then leave them there.

For some reason a friend that I was running with thought that the earlier buses left from 1.30 - 2.45, then the break until 3.30. As I finished my run about 1pm, then had a shower, we missed the 1.30 buses (got there about 1.50) - so I can't say if they were full or not.  [Next time I won't have the shower.] However, if they were full, then bring more buses down earler and let the buses fill earlier and depart when full.  If they need to stop buses going down so some can come up, then use the radio's that they were using to monitor the buses.

Just a thought for the logistics.  Still, not to complain too much, it is a massive logistical event and one that is run overall extremely well.  Having to wait for the buses wouldn't stop me running the event again.

Cheers, David

#50 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

View PostDavid C, on 12 March 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

View Postriffraff, on 12 March 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

I think that the alternative is to let more buses out earlier. After all, it is a bit tough to (in effect) not let people drive to the caves and then leave them there.

For some reason a friend that I was running with thought that the earlier buses left from 1.30 - 2.45, then the break until 3.30. As I finished my run about 1pm, then had a shower, we missed the 1.30 buses (got there about 1.50) - so I can't say if they were full or not.  [Next time I won't have the shower.] However, if they were full, then bring more buses down earler and let the buses fill earlier and depart when full.  If they need to stop buses going down so some can come up, then use the radio's that they were using to monitor the buses.

Just a thought for the logistics.  Still, not to complain too much, it is a massive logistical event and one that is run overall extremely well.  Having to wait for the buses wouldn't stop me running the event again.

Cheers, David

The painful bit for me was sitting on a bus for a bit over two hours (20 mins before it departed, another 1.50 to Scenic World). Perhaps Duckmaloi car-park might be a better option going forward.

Edited by riffraff, 12 March 2017 - 08:12 PM.