7 replies to this topic

#1 The_F00l

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:10 PM

Here's a link to a short runner's eye view video of the recent Gone Nuts 101 ultra marathon between Stanley and Wynyard.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Nd4HOTGkVH4

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 GiddyUp

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for sharing. Great effort.

#3 DrinksRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:36 PM

Race Report from the 50kms 2019.
My Goal was sub 6 hours, and rough plan was run conservatively , walk hills and eat food/drink then.
Longest training run in leadup was 23kms so was concerned may bonk.

Race started approx 7 minutes late as timing guys could find race start and were late.
They arrived at 6am and were throwing out all these excuses as race start was hard to find, and it was pitch black dark etc,
Race organsier, was taking no bullshit and just said your here now get the job done we have a race to start and did eveyrhting he could to get the race started ASAP helping the timing guys set up.
I wasnt planning on wearing head torch but due to how dark it was wore it for the first 5 kms, although the person i was running near torch was 3-4 times better I decided I would try and stick with them.
First 4kms on a gravel road mainly flat in like 5:00 pace, just before we set off on the sandy trail, had a shoe lace undone so let a few through and fixed it and carried on, must ahve been in like 12th spot.
Passed a few on the uphill sections, mainly due to just walking faster, where others tried to run then slower walk. This was mostly single track until we got onto anniversary bay, then a uphill section before sisters beach, due to tides we ran through the main street, not on the beach, and then up a four wheel drive track and onto another single track "Postmans track"  I was holding position here, after switching places a few times with the competitor ahead, I would pass him/catchup on the hills and he would get ahead on the flat/downhills. we eventually ran the beach section side to side, and i checked with him on directions a couple of times as was unsure and he had done the race last year.
After the boat harbour aid station (25kms 2:50) I pretty much ran solo until I saw another competitor at 35kms, the terrain was rocky sections near the beach as tide was up and then up and down farm hills.
I saw a snake here which scared the hell out of me, I was lucky though the guy who came second said he trod on a snake, and his next step was 10 foot high :) . We were welcomed with awesome aid stations some including ice, gatorade, snickers and kit kats along with water, some put out by farmers, some race organised and the volunteers even took bottles and filled them up for you.

Approx 37 kms i caught the competitor ahead and sped past just as we were leaving the farming land and old poppy crops and back to single track, I was told at the aid station i was in third place I sped off down the hill only to find that I had gone the wrong way down hill approx 500m then walked up annoyed and back in fourth position. I then spent a some energy on the single track trying to catchup again, and at the next aid station i just saw the competitor ahead as I stopped to fill up my bottles, I was happy enough that he was close so could slow down the chase a bit and caught him in the next km, we ran together/close up to about 40kms then i lost him a little on more rough farm terrain - cattle paddocks with some hills, with approx 8kms to go lost the flags again but a friendly lady pointed me the right driection to go in and I saw another flag 100m down the road. the last section was a run along the river bank to a bridge and return this seemed to last forever and was a little concerned I had stuffed up but eventually made it to the bridge, I was hoping this section would be fast, but it was very undulating, and I had spent a lot of energy and any sign of a hill and I was in walking mode.
I saw the guy behind me on the other side of the river on the way back and tried to push on, with no water the last couple of kilometres as I was using it up thinking i would finish on 50 exactly :) When I struggled through to the finish line watch said 52kms, The organiser said the winner did 51kms so I had done approx another km with my off course adventure. They offered a massage and I declined opting to get a beer and ice cream, although in hindsight being like the tin can man the next day I regretted not getting it.

I would recommend doing the race if you are after a challenge. It has beautiful scenery.
It was pretty tough for me, but I survived.

#4 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:21 PM

Thatís a very cool report.  I was chatting with a couple of people on a group run today about ultras, said I canít imagine doing one but gee, 50km, knowing itís cool to walk when you need to (feels like a different vibe to a road marathon) and being able to say Iíve done a 50... maybe.

#5 Eagle

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

.... and the time was

#6 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 01 April 2019 - 03:56 PM

Great race report and ripper effort. Well done!!

ps. I am wondering if they call this race Gone Nuts, because its a real ball breaker?

#7 DrinksRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:43 PM

Eagle 6 hours 6 mins

Skychariot
Itís because the first km of the 100km you climb the nut ( picture attached)

Attached Files

Edited by DrinksRunner, 01 April 2019 - 07:45 PM.

#8 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 02 April 2019 - 04:48 PM

Great scenery!!! It actually reminds me of a similar structure down the coast here near Gerringong.