7 replies to this topic

#1 RunningSurfer

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

Just wondering if anyone had some advice to help with a painful right shoulder I have started developing on my longer runs. Originally it only occurred late in long runs, and ceased pretty quickly so I thought it might have been some sort of referred pain from the diaphragm or something, but in the last few weeks it is kicking in earlier and staying around much longer after. It is also presenting much more like a muscular pain - but could possibly be a irritated nerve I guess. It is clearly set off by the repetitive nature of the arm swing when running.

Anyone had anything similar and any ideas to keep it under control? Its not enough to stop running (although lately taking a few hundred metres either with that armnot swinging or stretched over my head give some mild relief) nor is it affecting strength or mobility of the arm in any way. Just falls in the annoying category.

Trying some stretches but its just seems like they don't quite reach it - any suggestions for shoulder mobility/stretches greatly appreciated.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

I get something similar in my left shoulder.  My long run is the only one i wear a backpack for, so I've always thought it was related to the extra few kbs on my shoulders.  Sorry i have no advice, but you're not alone.

#3 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:31 PM

I suffered badly from Shoulder pain  in the past when running and also lifting my always getting heavier little crew.  Mine was Bursitis in my shoulder. It was very cool to see with an Ultrasound. The Nice Xray Doc suggested Ultra sound guided injection. My nice GP suggested physio.

Good physio was the key for me. After being given a few exercises to strengthen a few muscles in my back to reposition my shoulder problem and pain was fixed.  I have to occasionally re start the exercises if it starts acting up again now.

If you try the Ultra sound have your mobile phone recording if you can. Its very very cool as you lift your arm to see the bursa sack move.

My exercises are mosting getting my shoulder into the right position then pull my arms forward from behind me using a door way and body weight or an very big elastic  band.  Start with your Doctor to be safe but a Physio doesn't have to have a refferal and should be able to tell you what the problem is and fix it if it is like mine.
This might help

#4 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:29 PM

View PostNavyDiverJB, on 03 April 2017 - 01:31 PM, said:

I suffered badly from Shoulder pain  in the past when running

Forgot to add as a 'mere male' my version of pain might be relative :)

A lady visiting my business today had Xray and scheduled MRI. Xray showed nothing so she is now going for a Ultra sound and not doing the MRI as it sounds similar to Bursitis. Chatting with her she mentioned how she as a high pain threshold making me instantly think I needed to add above.

#5 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:31 PM

I used to get a little pain in my right shoulder on occasion when I ran, but this seems to have gone away.  Until my last 4 runs.  Sometimes it started straight away and would go after about 4kms, but yesterday's run was painful the whole way around.  The pain isn't in my shoulder joint this time, but actually feels like the clavicle is sore and it's near my neck.  It's what I'd call a sharp ache and it's on both sides, worse on the right.  Anyone else ever get a sore clavicle?

#6 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:13 PM

I sometimes get a pain there late on a long run.  Mine is more of an ache than a sharp pain and only on the left side.  I did hurt myself there quite a while back doing "the pushup challenge", so I blame a pre-existing injury.  I have done more strength work this year and the ache seems to be less pronounced.

#7 RunningSurfer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:50 PM

Never came back to this thread - after finishing the Gold Coast marathon last year my legs were sore, but my shoulder was frozen - could hardly move it. Took a visit to the physio tent and after the double take when I said it was my shoulder saw a young student physio who got it moving again and then a few movements and stretches and pronounced it most likely inflammation of the supraspinatus or infraspinatus (I cant remember which now). Given this was the first time I still had the pain when someone could have a look at it I took it on board, looked up some stretches etc.

Good news is that once it starts to tighten up I can give it a quick stretch while on the move and it eases off for a while. Also running with a pack and giving the arm swing a break every now and then helps a heap. Still feels annoying at the end of a long run, but doesn't hit critical point!

#8 Sub17ParkRun

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:00 PM

Overdoing the shoulder presses and rowing machine at the gym triggered chronic burning pain in my right upper trap, shoulder, neck and hand. Poor posture, too much slouching while typing on my lap top. I need to be more active and not do what sets off pain or makes it worse.