11 replies to this topic

#1 SkyChariot

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

There have already been some Sri Chinmoy events around Sydney this year already, but this weekend the series goes to Royal National Park. There are a few distances, so they have all bases covered! And its looking like perfect running conditions for a run through the lovely trails of the national park. I am hoping to be there and run the half marathon, all going well between now and then! It will be my first Sri Chinmoy event of the year. I used to try to get to all of their events, as they are just so well organised, friendly and enjoyable, but not all so easy to get to on public transport of a weekend from the Illawarra, and with a few issues with my heart making the super early starts and lots of trips and races not such a good idea, and already committed to turning up as a regular at st peters parkrun as well, I have only run a couple in recent times. Now I am doing sandon point parkrun, frees me up for a trip to Sydney to do races on sundays again now and then, though still got to be careful to look after the heart issue. I haven't done their event in the national park before so I am liking the thought of being a part of it. I hope there are plenty of other coolrunners and Sri Chinmoy regulars turn up. It will be good to catch up!

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:05 PM

I agree they organise an event very well. I run run all of the marathons. Great course and get to be in the 'bush' but I do not enjoy trails'. Too much of a shuffler and too much of a chance of a trip. I expect the course will be drier than usual.

#3 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

The weather is looking perfect! And there hasn't been a lot of rain over recent weeks, just a drizzle here and there, so shouldn't be as mushy as I heard it was last year!

#4 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

It was indeed a lovely day for it yesterday. The legs were very heavy and I got slower as the event went on. But I enjoyed it immensely. It was great to see so many friends out on the course.

#5 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:24 PM

It had been so long since I have been in that part of the National Park. I really enjoyed being there. Nice and cool early, and caught up with quite a few people I hadn't seen for a while, and a few regular parkrunners as well! As per usual, the Sri Chinmoy people put on a really fabulous event, and the pancakes were flying off the grill as runners finished.[I think I ate about half a dozen bananas after the run] I was glad I was able to get there, though I found I had to back off quite a bit running the half, after nearly tripping twice in the first few ks, with my eyesight not good, I was having trouble negotiating the loose stones on a path I haven't run before, and I didn't want to risk doing an ankle. My eyesight is worse since I had bought of weird symptoms earlier this year, and bouts of vertigo and tinnitus that have effected my balance a bit too, that all seemed to have been caused by council weed spray poison[long story]. Didn't matter though, I really enjoyed running along the trail, and the places where it was not so rough, I found that I felt plenty strong to pick up the pace, right through to the end, so I finished feeling quite good. And have pulled up really well. So that gave me some confidence back. I probably should have worn the vibrams, as though I might have ended up with my feet a bit battered, I think I would have felt more stable and been more confident with my footing. Maybe next year! Saw eagle there looking like he was running really well, and it wouldn't be a marathon without not just him, but D43 as well. Saw Pom, who I hadn't seen for a while, who did the half as well, and seemed to have enjoyed himself. Glad to see so many people turn up, and it really was a great day!

#6 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:44 PM

Just posting for this year's event - 5th May. I'm looking at doing it - does anyone have a course profile?

#7 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:59 PM

^^That would be the Royal National Park one. Its very scenic and pretty. I think you would enjoy it. Don't know if there is a course profile, but it has a few hills, particularly at the turn around where there is a fair decent one. ts not a fast course, you might have to watch your footing in a few rubbly places, or if it is wet. Its a nice place to stay for a bit of a picnic afterwoods. The Sri Chinmoy races are always well run, and very friendly. Good value for money as well. They provide a nice pancake brekkie afterwoods as well. My friend just did the easter on in Centenial Park, and she said they have a new chip timing system now.

#8 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:31 PM

View PostSkyChariot, on 23 April 2019 - 05:59 PM, said:

^^That would be the Royal National Park one. Its very scenic and pretty. I think you would enjoy it. Don't know if there is a course profile, but it has a few hills, particularly at the turn around where there is a fair decent one. ts not a fast course, you might have to watch your footing in a few rubbly places, or if it is wet. Its a nice place to stay for a bit of a picnic afterwoods. The Sri Chinmoy races are always well run, and very friendly. Good value for money as well. They provide a nice pancake brekkie afterwoods as well. My friend just did the easter on in Centenial Park, and she said they have a new chip timing system now.
just found a profile - it looks undulating until the end but given some of the hills I have in my training, it looks manageable. At worst, the last one is at 33km .........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:38 PM

A very scenic course of 2 laps. I steep hill at the turn around and some testing undulations. Totally fire trail - car width. I struggle with the softness as I do not train on grass or trails. Usually last in and so grateful they wait. I wished I could not be so slow and they could pack up sooner.

#10 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:36 AM

in case this has prompted interest in others, here is a profile I found for the out and back

Attached Files

#11 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

Yes that last climb is steep but then again the run down is the same. Still it is usually a net loss of time.

#12 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:23 PM

View PostEagle, on 26 April 2019 - 02:49 PM, said:

Yes that last climb is steep but then again the run down is the same. Still it is usually a net loss of time.
from all my years of running, the downhill never seems to recoup the lost time of the uphill.