#1 murrumfatboy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

Folks,

I have it on good authority that along with the entertainment announcement (of which my group Tanamasi is a part of), the registrations will be open mid next week!!!

Edited by murrumfatboy, 08 June 2017 - 03:21 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 murrumfatboy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:44 AM

Registrations open tomorrow!!!

#3 murrumfatboy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:18 AM

Registrations open now, I am number 01007 - ooh, yeah!!!

#4 alilypad

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:47 AM

View Postmurrumfatboy, on 14 June 2017 - 11:18 AM, said:

Registrations open now, I am number 01007 - ooh, yeah!!!

Someone is a little bit keen! :)

#5 murrumfatboy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:14 PM

Yes I am keen.  This is a big stepping stone to my first ever half marathon, so I am seriously looking forward to it.  Plus the fact that I have never heard my band playing without me!!!

#6 allrounder

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Sex:Don't know

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

#1005 for me

#7 RunningRagged

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

#1019, I was obviously less keen!

Edited by RunningRagged, 14 June 2017 - 06:22 PM.

#8 murrumfatboy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:37 AM

Dammit, allrounder, beat me by this much!!! (along with 5 others)

#9 murrumfatboy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

3.5 weeks to go, quick question - does the CT Funrun support the tradition of offloading jumpers at the start to donate to Vinnies????

#10 murrumfatboy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:41 AM

Yes, jumpers can be offloaded for Salvo's.

#11 murrumfatboy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:26 AM

Since no-one else is here, this may as well be my own personal blog.... :)

Today - easy 5k at Stromlo just to stretch the legs.....
Friday - collect bib, suss out Easty St parking, set up gear for race day based on weather - blue shorts, tiger socks, no-chafey jocks, Hansel shirt; waist pack - keys, phone, cash, cc, dates; jumper/beanie to dump; drop bag - light jacket, dry shirt, socks; watch charged, spare car key to the missus.
Saturday - no stress - pack car, radox bath, tape feet and get an early-ish night
Sunday - up at 5 for coffee, banana and bagel - leave by 6:15 at the latest.  Drop off Mim and drums to State circle, park in Woden by 7:15, drop bag and warmup/stretch.  
3 goals:
Plan A - 80 minutes - pace wristband has me at Tanamasi ~35mins, 10.5km hydration point 1hr or less
Plan B - 84 minutes - 10km mark at 1hr, all markers increments of 6
Plan C - 90 minutes - in front of 90 pacer (John), still a PB (C2S 95mins)!!
Plan D - finish upright, only if I bonk totally!

Edited by murrumfatboy, 31 August 2017 - 09:32 AM.

#12 murrumfatboy

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

CT Funrun Run Report!!

Okeydokey folks, the weather was shite to start with.  After dropping off the drums and the missus for the on-course entertainment, the temp was heading south rapidly, but this is Canberra, so that happens.  Parking was easy across from the Hellenic Club, then a nice brisk walk to the start.  Drop bags worked easy, and then it was hanging until the start...

Met up with my 80 minute pacer friend, saw LOTS of familiar faces from parkrun, Lake Stakes, Sri Chinmoy events, so it had a very local feel.  We got called to the start chute about 7:45, then as it got closer to 8, it started to sprinkle.....then the announcer did some announcing about a delay.....traffic, road closures, that kind of thing.  So we get a revised start time of 8:15, and at 8:10 I ditch my jumper.......only to be informed of another delay about 5 minutes later.  I look forlornly at my Salvos jumper sitting on the grass slowly getting wetter, and decide that jogging on the spot should suffice to keep me warm.  

After several more apologetic announcements, and a bit more rain, we got a definite start time of 8:30.  By that time, our breath was vapour and there were a few people steaming from the temperature drop.  Finally, we were off!!

The first km was a settling in period, with me trying to keep ahead of my pacer, when I noticed a pacer's balloon ahead of me.....gently floating up into a clearing sky.  Someone failed knotting-101 :) I was keeping a steady pace up Adelaide Ave (5:40), and my pacer caught up to me, so we ran together for a bit, then I could hear my band!!  Drumming sounds so cool as you come around the corner.  Stopped for a quick photo opportunity, then back again with the pacer.  As we started up the hill towards Kings Ave, I started to lag behind him a bit, and I also noticed the other 80 minute pacer coming up behind me.

Down Kings Ave to the drinks station and I have a bit of water, feeling a bit parched at this point from all the heavy breathing.  Still got my pacer buddy in sight as we come around to the bottom of Federation Mall.  As we start up the seemingly endless hill, he pulls away and I am passed by the other pacer.  Gotta keep them in sight......

At the top, I am still hoping to gain on the pacers, and I can hear the drumming as I come around the back of Parly House....cooool.  Get all the way round and to the top of Federation Mall, and realise that the pacer balloons are a bit further than I hoped, and the knees are really starting to talk to me now.  I run on the grass as much as possible, and take some hydration at the bottom, knowing there is still a quarter of the distance left.  By the time I round the bottom and head towards the 5km start, the pacers are gone - Plan A is bunk, time for Plan B - 84mins (6:00 pace). Got a bit of a burst from the cheers of the 5k participants, highfiving the munchkins as I go past, then it is a solid trudge around onto Kings Ave again - I feel like I am going SOOOOO slow.... and I am - around 6:30 as I am passed by the energetic 10km people.

Feeling like stopping as I get to the end of the bridge, but grit my teeth and carry on to the turn to take us along the lake shore.  Marshall on a power trip {everybody on the roadway, not on the grass....... f*** off (in my head)}, then it is blessedly downhill to the roadway, so I get a bit more time on the verge [every road is a trail run if you are on the edge :)].  People cramming the edges of the finish chute, cheering like crazy, and the announcer calling people's names......he calls me, I give a bit of a fist pump, so glad to finally finish.

Nuun, water, banana, then off the Westpac zone for a sausage sanger and coffee, stretch in the yoga space, pick up my drop bag, shuttle back to Woden.

Very pleased to beat my "great" time with 81:43, bit bummed I couldn't keep up with the 80 minute pacers.  Knee issues, shin splints and interrupted training will do that, but there is always next year.

#13 RunningRagged

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

Great run report! The pacer who lost the balloon was one of our Tuggeranong parkrun regulars! Great bloke. I wasn't sure how I'd go seeing I'd had a bit of a bug
in the City to Surf and had to walk a lot of it. However I was in a bunch with the great 70 min pacers and kept up until the large parliament house roundabout as
they were setting a good pace to get some time in the bank. Took it easy heading up the hill then towards the end of the loop caught up with the pacer PT who
had slowed to the 5 min pace. From there down the ramp and picked up the pace, finished just under 69m mins which isn't a PB but much better than last year!

Big thanks to all the volunteers, pacers etc who helped make it a great day out. The Westpac zone was full of parkrunners getting their caffeine and choc muffin fix :LOL:

#14 RunningSurfer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:25 PM

Great run Murrum - looks like you had been looking forward to this one!

#15 allrounder

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:10 AM

69:59 for me to meet my goal of sub-70, turned into a nice day...

just a shame that all the race starts were delayed 30mins as the road closures for State Circle weren't in place on time...it was only the 42nd running of the event!

#16 BTONE

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

71mins for me on Sunday and very happy with result. Good course but found the going tough on the rise up Federation Mall. A big thanks to all the volunteers and entertainers on the course.

A bit frustrating with the delayed start but all in all a very smoothly run event - see you next year!

#17 RunningRagged

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:17 PM

From the Canberra TImes website and some other communications it looks like the 14km run has been axed this year! Does anyone know anymore about this and if it  relates to other new 14km runs in other cities being axed?
Very disappointing! :angry:

Edited by RunningRagged, 28 June 2018 - 09:29 PM.

#18 allrounder

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 04:08 PM

the 10k course has been changed as well...no starting in Woden....

Edited by allrounder, 29 June 2018 - 04:13 PM.

#19 RunningRagged

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:20 PM

Oh, Parkes? How does that work?

#20 RunningRagged

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:31 PM

http://www.canberrat...au/10km-course/

Hmmm......  :Thinking:

Looks like they added a one km race but seriously they should rethink adding a 14km or thereabouts race.

Spreads the crowds out and gives a tougher option for those who want one!

#21 RunningRagged

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:37 PM

10km starts at 7.45
1km starts at 8.30,

A bit too close together maybe? I'll be overtaking these people in the last few 100 metres.

Seriously needs a *major* rethink for next year, especially with the 14km course gone.

Have also heard the course start is very narrow and has a speed bump not far from the start....

#22 alilypad

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:50 PM

By all reports, the Canberra Times Fun Run is not going ahead this year.   A bit of a shame for an event that has been going for 43 (or so) years.

#23 alilypad

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:03 PM

Edited by alilypad, 16 July 2019 - 09:05 PM.

#24 RunningRagged

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:51 PM

Any updates for 2019? No information on the official website. I worked for a few years with the lady who won the first 3 runnings. If it is axed Fairfax can live forever in shame. Profits over credibility/history and any sense of decency.

Edited by RunningRagged, 01 August 2019 - 10:19 PM.

#25 allrounder

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 03:16 PM

rumour has it that it IS on but no details as yet

Fairfax don't own it any more either...

Edited by allrounder, 02 August 2019 - 03:25 PM.