59 replies to this topic

#1 richardegg

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

Entries opened the afternoon the 2017 finished.

I'm in for the full. Want to get back into marathons again. Still have 49 weeks to train....

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 dadagain

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:59 AM

Very likely to be in for this. Looks like it'll be the first opportunity to run a qualifier for Boston 2020, so I might target it hard next year and see if I can run a 3:20!

#3 alilypad

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:23 PM

This is on the calendar again this year.  Absolutely loved it!!

#4 RunningRagged

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

Sydney heh, we must talk one parkrun day! Funny enough facebook gave me a 5 year "on this day" about an article on Richard from
the Central Western Daily! I'll post a link if it is ok with Richard.

#5 JeniferWilliams

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:48 PM

I would have joined it.

#6 Andrew09

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:40 AM

Hey there is a big marathon this weekend that no-one is talking about. My seventh Sydney marathon this Sunday. And it looks like we might be dodging the warm weather bullet again. Good luck everyone!

#7 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:42 PM

I will be there for the  1/2. Looking forward to seeing some people back at the Orient.
Will be cheering the marathoners on from the a cafe along the home straight.

#8 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:43 PM

I'll miss this and would have liked to have been there. Good luck to all especially Eagle.

#9 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:27 AM

Yes very very quiet on CR. Not the way it was years ago .....

Will be running as usual asa Blue Line Legend and marathon # 300. I will certainly be at the Orient as usual. If I was a drinker it could be a long afternoon but .....   it maybe just stories of past runs as is usually the case when a bunch of runners gather.

Edited by Eagle, 13 September 2018 - 09:28 AM.

#10 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:42 PM

Iím not running blackmores this year but would love to catch up with CRís. What time will you all be at the Orient hotel?

#11 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:44 AM

Hmm how long is  a piece of string? Wanting to watch the marathoners come in so as they start at 7am, wouldnt be till probably 12 ish, as I am BOP runner I know how lonely it can be out there so we shall see

#12 Clockwise

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:39 AM

Although I am not going to run either, I would love to catch up at the orient hotel, too.

#13 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:49 PM

Jindalee

About 12.30 ish for those running with the 4.30 pacer.

#14 KatieR

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:19 PM

I do the 10km and then Cheer on the Marathon runners until the last one.

I arrive at the pub late and usually catch the train home with Bees Knees.

Congratulations Eagle on 300 Marathons.

#15 777jsc

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:55 PM

Hi - my first Sydney marathon, although done Melbourne 3 times. The website says anyone dropping off bags on the morning of the race wonít get it back until noon. For those who have done this before is that actually the case or are they usually already there when you finish?

#16 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:32 PM

Thanks all. Will post here when Iím at the event and maybe I can meet up with someone cheering on the runners. Otherwise Iíll see you at the pub.

Good luck to everyone who is running!

#17 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:02 PM

777jsc when I've cheered friends in they've had their bags before 11 and it appeared there were quite a few uncollected, probably because people hang around at the finish area and the bag area is a meander through the Botanic Gardens.
Got me thinking, there would be a few logistical issues taking bags across the Harbour Bridge with the course closed and other races starting earlier.
Perhaps there's enough of a gap between races to do that or take the tunnel (and still avoid courses around CBD).
This would be why they've introduced a bag drop at expo.

Not sure why Sydney and esp GC have marathon start last. Guessing fun runners prob don't want to start super early while marathoners would appreciate less time in the heat so should suit all.
If there are problems with shorter runs cutting into the marathon, perhaps there could be a marathon only lane?

#18 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:56 PM

Davinator - not running this year but from past events, Half is first, followed by Marathon and then Bridge Run and Family Fun run.

If they are encouraging everyone to pre drop off their gear, waiting until the last event has cleared before moving the bags over the bridge (after 10am) might be what they are doing. However, in 2016 when I last dropped off gear on race day, it was there waiting for me when I finished. Last year I did it at the expo and to be honest, I preferred the shorter walk than meandering up the hill through the domain

#19 NvrGiveUp

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:00 PM

Quick question please help?

Does anyone know if camel baks are permitted in tomorrow's marathon.??

TIA!

#20 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:32 PM

777jsc sorry can't be definitive, guide on p10 says 12pm.
NvrGiveUp Yes, you can run with a camelbak hydration pack or even a running vest. Remember there are refreshment stations.
Nothing in FAQs or Race Guide to say otherwise and they've been evident in this and shorter events in Sydney.
Restrictions on backpacks are about the baggage transport, they have to be able to see the contents.
(So if you bring a hydration pack, you'll be committed to running with it).
Glad it will be cooler than today!

#21 claudicles

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:46 AM

PB for the HM! 2:17:59 which is a minute shorter than I did SMH HM this year. My eighth half and I am 53 and still getting faster. Maybe I am just getting better at pacing :Tounge:

#22 Clockwise

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:55 AM

Ok, i just arrived at the orient. Lots of runners, no familiar faces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 777jsc

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 05:45 PM

Thanks all for the tips. Can confirm the bags were there already so thumbs up for the organisers

#24 Andrew09

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:58 PM

I was hoping for a 3h 20m marathon and ended up with a 3h 18m finish time. I'm happy with that. :)

#25 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:32 AM

Come on guys! Race reports!
I'm sitting in a car all day, mostly as a passenger, so race reports! Stat!

#26 NvrGiveUp

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:42 AM

ok i have a interesting result... my watch time is sub 4 hours.. 3:59:25.. this is not gun time.. but time from the starting pads and finishing pads..
official results net time: 4:00:00 ... go figure.

was my first marathon... so learnt lots .. .. was doing everything as planned until about 33 km mark... then dropped back to 6-6:30 pace...  walked the water stations... and some hills... started to develop some cramps because of too much food (my nutrition plan was dates & 2 gels) with 2-3k out i was trying to do the maths in my head and thought i would finish with 2 minutes to spare on my sub4 target... then a 4hr pace runner overtook me with 2k out ! :o ... somehow managed to find energy to run the last km at 5:00 .. a sprint to the finish...

marathons are a punish and honestly couldnt say i enjoyed this as much a running a half marra gun hoe lol too early to say if i would do this again next year.... but if i do.. i would definitely need more than 3 x runs a week.. and >50km weekly average !

#27 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:24 AM

NvrGiveUp,

Firstly - congratulations on your first. Be proud of what you did. Most people go into their first marathon wide eyed and bushy tailed  - all learn valuable lessons which is why the saying goes "You run your first, you race your second...."

I've done 12 and I still learn - the last 2 I've been able to get a decent plan which has seen me finish in what would be for me - decent times.

I run over 80km per week when I get about 2 months out - people like Eagle and JXT do over 100 - 140km. I'm not saying you should do that, but more distance in the legs, the stronger you'll be and also - don't forget interval training - I thought it was naff but I saw massive improvements when I started doing them.

Also - pacers can be misleading - they have a gun and a net time. I suspect you were overtaken by the net pacer. They can be up to several minutes apart depending how far back from the line they started.

#28 JXT

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:26 PM

View PostBogFrog, on 17 September 2018 - 09:32 AM, said:

Come on guys! Race reports!
I'm sitting in a car all day, mostly as a passenger, so race reports! Stat!

Righto, just for you BogFrog, hereís my report from yesterday.

About eight weeks back I had a look at my running log and thought that there was a chance to be ready for Sydney. I had a good base of 20-25km runs, many with hills. I hadnít been running any quality sessions but ran a 10km time trial in just over 38 minutes as a tester. That put sub-three in my mind and then it was time to get to work.
Sprinkled in the quality and the old broken bod responded well. Hit sessions I couldnít have before I ran my 2:47 PB from two years ago. The key run was a 37km long run with 34.5km at 2:47 pace and the last 28 at 2:45 pace. At the end of a 150km week and without any sort of prep, that run gave me plenty of confidence.
The caveat to this positivity was a bit of a health scare. Iíd been passing a lot of blood and had every scan and test under the sun. A couple showed some issues with prostate and bladder so I was put on a six-week course of awful meds that knocked the hell out of me.
I finished the meds three weeks ago and began to improve my general health. Still got more tests next week but it looks like a watch-and-wait scenario.

I began the crazy weather checking about a week ago and watched in horror as race day was shaping as a wild and windy one. My hatred of the wind is well known - no issues with cold, rain or heat. During training, Iíll bail on a speed session if the forecast wind is above 15km/h. Yesterdayís wind was forecast at 24-31km/h.

I nearly pulled the pin on the race but met Eagle at the start and he gave me some words of wisdom about accepting what comes. And with that, I calmed down and lined up in the third row not really knowing what the day was going to bring.

As feared, the wind hit crossing the Harbour Bridge and I had serious thoughts of bailing at the 2km mark. Had to grab my cap twice and nearly ditched it.
Settled into a rhythm and clocked the first 5km right on target at 19:05. Had been running with a pack of about 15 runners but myself and another eased slightly ahead on the approach to Hyde Park. Unfortunately the marshals were daydreaming as we approached and directed the two of us the wrong way. Got called back, ran an extra 200 metres (maybe a bit less) and fell behind the pack.
Initially I was very pissed but managed to calm down and vow not to try to catch the pack in one kay.
Got back into my rhythm and crossed the 10km mark at 38:25 - 2:44 pace.
I never drink during my training runs but started tipping water on myself at the 15km mark. Gel plan was one every 7km with a spare in case I needed another towards the end. Grabbed a isowhey drink and tipped that down my back at the 20km mark. Eww!
Felt good and on target coming back into the city and knew that I was well up on my dream goal of sub-2:45. A bit of marathon math confirmed that if I maintained 4min/km I could hit the target. Thankfully each km kept reading 3:50.
I really prepared myself for the Pyrmont section but itís still a soulless part of the course and the boardwalks do weird things to my gait. Saw the 35km mark and knew it was one more lap of the Bay and I was done.
Pace and body still felt fine but the brain was wandering. Told myself that I was never going to be here again with this health and fitness and that it was now or never. Brain was also convinced that 4min/km wasnít enough so I tried to find more speed. I couldnít, but I wasnít slowing either.
Iíd been yoyo-ing 30metres in front and behind another runner since the start of the Bridge and he made his decisive move coming out of Barangaroo - I stayed with him as best I could but he got me by seven seconds.
At the 37km mark I heard someone say that I was the first runner in a T-shirt rather than a singlet. Not long after that, a mum said to her child, ďthey are still sprintingĒ.
Then all of a sudden, the crowd on the foreshore thickened and the 40km mark flashed by. My watch said 2:33 and I knew only an injury was going to cause me to miss a 2:45.
I could hear the crowd through the Quay but I was so focused on form and speed that I dared not turn my head. I didnít even look at the finish clock. I few steps after the finish I looked at my watch and saw 2:41:41, later confirmed as 2:41.40 net and 2:41.46 gun.
I shook hands with the runners that finished near me, grabbed my gear and sat down in the brilliant sun to change shoes. My left calf cramped like crazy - the split between the gastroc and soleus was very obvious. In fact, the woman next to me was horrified. Then she lit a cigarette so I shuffled away to find a taxi home.

Even with the little misdirection drama (and Iím genuinely appreciative of the volunteers), I ran an incredibly even race. My second half was four seconds slower than the first.
Then yesterday afternoon, the legendary Eliud Kipchoge put my pride into perspective, breaking the WR by 1min 18secs, a mere 40:01 faster than me.

#29 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:37 PM

Can't like it due to running out of like quotas, but great report!

Who's next?

Edited by BogFrog, 17 September 2018 - 12:37 PM.

#30 Andrew2

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:13 PM

What BogFrog said!

#31 NvrGiveUp

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 02:55 PM

Wow jxt , awesome read!
I forgot about the windy conditions yesterday.!  They were a killer!..

Is that why u hate running in windy conditions?

How many held did u knock back during the race? In hindsight I wonder if I should have done only gels, not gels + food (I practiced with dates)

I had a base of a couple of 20km runs before deciding at 12 weeks out to do this..   reading from Ur comments, a base of 25km would have been much better!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#32 alilypad

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 03:12 PM

I'll have a go!  It's not a fast story like JXT (bloody hell, how awesome), but it was a pretty special day.

It started with the delightful Pom tracking me down at the start.  So great to see him after quite some time away and we started together and ran the first 7km just chit chatting and taking in the spectacle of it all - and then spotted Eagle just ahead.  How great!  Pom and Eagle both pushed me to find the confidence to give my first marathon a crack back in 2014, so to be running with both of them was quite the moment for me!!  (congrats again Eagle, 300 marathons is mind-blowing).

I was easing into things as I had very cleverly walked into a cupboard on Friday and hit my head, so I hadn't been feeling 100% with headaches and nausea, but I suddenly realised I had friends waiting in Centennial Park and I was feeling OK so decided to pick up the pace a little - I don't like keeping people waiting!  Centennial park was a boost, I saw my friends for a quick hug as I passed, and managed to overtake a number of people and have a chat along the way.  I love the turnarounds in Sydney where you have the opportunity to see the frontrunners (wow!) and friends as they pass by.  And in complete contrast I saw the lady who was last.  That's what I love about marathons, we're all out there doing it together no matter what the pace.

So, the same as last year, I had an absolute ball over the first 21km (aside from almost tripping twice on the carpet on that little temporary bridge) until heading into the city and into Pyrmont.  This is where I reaaally struggle, it's just around and around and back and through and across and around and around, I find it exhausting.  I started to really fade at around 35km and was losing it, I just wanted that part of the run to be over.  Was I feeling dizzy or was I just tired, should I stop?  No, just one foot in front of the other, keep going keep going....and to finally hit Circular Quay and get that complete lift from the crowd.  Awesome, it took me a while to work out how people knew my name!!  I was happy, I was overwhelmed, I nearly cried, I wanted to chuck, but it was FANTASTIC!!  I  finished with 4.03.04 which was a little disappointing as I was hoping for sub-4, but I am happy I finished.  Thanks to Chris G for waiting for me at the finish before finally finding the family and the long slow walk back to our accommodation!

So that's marathon no. 10 done.  I cannot wait to get to Carcoar!!

JXT, I hope your further tests bring you good news....

Who's next?  Go...!

#33 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 04:04 PM

Really enjoyed reading through above reports. I put the TV on when I came back from my early run yesterday, to watch the event, but the TV coverage, wasn't that great. Enjoyed reading the posts here much more  than I did watching that. Well done all of you. You have memories now that you will be smiling about in years to come when you reflect back on what you have achieved. Fast or slow, doesn't matter. Its what you get from all the leadup, and from the start gun to the finish line, that can be just as satisfying.

#34 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:20 PM

Another bit of trivia;

Not often you'd expect to see both mum and daughter win their events.

First female in HM and outright winner in the 4k event.

I wonder who owns the family bragging rights?

#35 alilypad

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:30 AM

View PostSkyChariot, on 17 September 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

You have memories now that you will be smiling about in years to come when you reflect back on what you have achieved. Fast or slow, doesn't matter. Its what you get from all the leadup, and from the start gun to the finish line, that can be just as satisfying.

I love this SC, thanks. :Rose:  That's so true, I will remember this run for so many other reasons before I even think about what time I ran it in.  :friends:

#36 777jsc

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:46 PM

Sydney Marathon 2018

When I ran my first marathon back in 2015, I never thought I would do more than 1 a year as I couldn’t imagine putting in the training. But we all know the addiction once you start and I’ve now run at least once every single week since Nov 2014. So after finishing Gold Coast marathon in July, although I didn’t have any target race in mind, it seemed entirely natural to keep up the miles and sessions.

I actually enjoyed making it up week to week. I had got a bit jaded with doing P&D 4-5 times and was looking for something different. So I picked those sessions I enjoyed (MP long runs) and mixed it up with other favourites (alternating 10k/MP, 5k Reps at LT, the odd parkrun). The biggest change was to drop the mileage to around 80k/Wk and only run 4-5 times. I started to look forward to those couple of lie-ins each week! The top end speed did noticeably drop off but I still felt strong on the LRs and got through some hard ones without destroying myself.

As the noise around Berlin built up, FOMO started to ratchet up and seeing other locals runners tapering really got me thinking. 2 weeks out from Sydney I decided I may as well do it and entered to see what would happen off an 8 week, lower mileage block. I knew I wasn’t in as good shape as for London but sub 3 felt possible. I resolved to stick with the pacers to 30k no matter what and see what I had left from there.

Race day was sunny but cold and windy, so much so that we were shivering on the start line. I had doubts whether the wind would ruin a sub 3 attempt, much like Melbourne 2 years ago. Surprisingly there was also a 2:55 pacer, a last minute addition, and for 2 seconds I thought about following him but common sense prevailed. I also found myself lining up beside a guy in full Branson style wedding dress - he was from Manchester celebrating his 50th by going for a Guinness WR, I didn’t see any reports afterwards so he must have missed it, however the fastest marathon dressed as a monk did go (2:43).

The gun went and the pacers tore off. The first 3k the were 100m ahead of me as my shins and top of my feet felt tight. I didn’t do any warm up so hoped that it was just because of this. Slowly I started feeling more normal and closed on the pacers. I caught them up by 5k, which clicked over in 20:50. It was a large group of around 20 and was moving well, the wind was definitely a major factor in everyone staying together. We went through 5k-10k in 22:06, although I’m pretty sure the timing mat was in the wrong place as 10k-15k was 20:19 but the pace felt the same.

I’d decided to also run entirely to effort but the pacers did call out how far ahead we were and we built up 45s buffer. It felt really easy at this stage and I was enjoying not having to waste mental energy checking pace and splits. This part is also through Centennial Park so there are a lot of switchbacks where you can see others ahead and behind. In total the course has 8 switchbacks and various rises and dips so it’s not that fast but it helps break up the grind.

I noticed I was sometimes moving to the front of the group and even gapped them a few times. In hindsight I could have pressed on as I felt so good but it seemed too early  and I was still worried about dealing with the headwind alone and a few bigger hills. 15k-20k was 21:11 and I couldn’t believe how easy it was, it was becoming one of those mythical marathons where you go through halfway as though you’ve just done the warm up.

Heading back into the city and 20k-25k was 21:26 and the group was still rolling along together. The next section has the biggest uphills but we still rolled through it in 21:11. I saw a photo that someone took here with me leading out a pack of 20, I had no idea until I saw it there were that many behind me! The next section to 35k is twisty and quiet, time to knuckle down and just get through it, which we did in 21:20.

It was here I did a quick check and decided I should go for it. It was definitely getting harder but my legs felt great and I eased slowly ahead of the pack. Runners ahead were coming back to me and although I felt like I was speeding up, the reality was they were slowing down. I was spurred on by picking them off one at a time and overtook 44 people from 35k-40k in 21:18.

At 41k you go under the Harbour Bridge and can see the Opera House finish. I still had no idea of my time but I knew sub 3 was in the bag. I finished the last 2.5k at 2:55 pace and crossed the line in 2:58:59, just 5s off my PB but on a much trickier course with challenging weather. It has to be the best I’ve ever felt during a marathon as it always felt under control and I wasn’t completely drained like I was after London and Gold Coast. Maybe could have sped up earlier but today was all about getting another sub 3 and seeing if I could produce the goods without any pressure.

I’m now in a dilemma whether to keep up with this approach for my next one or put in the hard yards and aim for 2:55 or better... However I really am done for this year now so will take it easy and keep my fingers crossed for the Tokyo marathon ballot results next week!

#37 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:12 AM

777jsc
Great report. It is magical when you are running a marathon and it all seems too easy. They are the ones to think about as all too often it is the other way.

#38 TassiePenguin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:35 PM

Well, I didn't expect to be writing this report with the shocking 6 week lead in that I had.  After pacing a 10km the last Sunday in July, a week later I got a niggle in my lower back, which basically meant no running for about 3 weeks.  And when I say NO, I mean NO, couldn't push off my left foot at all, so discovered water running.  Did a slow 21km 13 days out on the Monday morning, and thought I could at least finish, but the sub 3 (was aiming for about 2.57, having done 2.58.21 in Canberra in April).

As I was a member of the Tasmanian team, I had airfares and accommodation booked so decided to give it a go, and take it 1km at a time.  I even had a 3.15 pace band on my arm as my fall back plan was to help out the females in the Tasmanian team, all of who were hoping for 3.15-3.20.  After about 3km, I felt ok, and 3 hr pacers were still visible, so I just decided to keep them in sight and see how I went.  As we did each out and back, I thought I was holding my own, and as we went into Centenial Park, I slowly started to close the gap, catching the back pacer at the 20km drink station.  Moved past the others at about halfway, and then slowly moved up on a couple of Tassie mates, who I caught going through Hyde Park.  Must have been just behind 777 for most of the race.  Got to 28 in about 1.58, and thought my body didn't have another hour in it, after the damaged lead in, so just became 2 1/2 park runs, then 2 park runs etc.  Got to the 40km drink station, and was totally gone, but hadn't seen balloons yet.  Grabbed a GU, got about 25% of it into me, tasted like crap I must say, and then had the "5 laps of an oval" mindset.  

As I came out of the Rocks, saw another Tassie friend who told me the pacer was just behind me, as I turned down the side road onto the cruise ship area.  The pacer caught me just after that corner, and I thought I was gone.  He then said he was about 40 seconds under, which was what I needed.  COuldn't remember how far it was from there, but knew it wasn't more than kilometre, so I had to go until I dropped.   As I came up onto the ramp, I looked at my watch, and knew I had it covered .... and then I saw the finish line clock.  Whats the go, It alread said 3.00.XX, I looked at my watch again, and figured the clock was wrong, so pull my finger out.  Finished in a net time of 2:59.42, with the Rocky stance in one of my photos as I realised.

It is funny how even though it wasn't a PB, it felt like one, as I knew that my mind had well and truly overruled the body for the last 2.2km (if not more), as my body shouldn't have been capable of a sub 3, but my mind wasn't prepared to accept an "almost".

Now on to Melbourne where I will be the pacer again, and hopefully pushing the people who feel like I did in the last 2km :)

What a day, not to mention a great medal with the rotating Opera House.

#39 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:27 PM

After having done Dunedin marathon the week before I knew it would be a tough ask just running. When I heard the wonderful weather forecast I thought I could switch to the marathon, fortunately for me a friend was picking up my bib so that meant the full was not going to happen. Ever so glad that is what happened, my legs just had nothing to give they were cold and they were stiff for the first few kms and they didn't really improve well into the race. i was going backwards really fast. I ran all the way except for the drink stations and I am really proud of that. My time was 7 mins slower than last year when I hoped I would be 7 minutes faster.
At the cafes along the Quay were some of my friends cheering me on which was really lovely.
The best part of the day was having breakfast with my friends and cheering the marathoners on, was so happy to see Eagle as he whizzed past he gave a wave acknowledging he heard our cheer. Then I met up with Katie R and we headed off to the traditional CR watering hole the Orient. We met Clockwise there and got to see Eagle come back with his family. It was really special to be able to celebrate with him and his family and lots of other CRs, it felt like old times and I was so happy to be there.

#40 freddy

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:49 AM

On Sunday I ran my 1st ever marathon at 47 years of age. Was all going to plan until about  the 37K mark where thighs started to cramp. I was forced to walk a 100m then run 400m for last couple of Ks to finish just over 4hrs. Just getting to start was a win for win, but stoked to complete 1st one.

Just a quick question. My Garmin showed race  was 43.1K. Just wondering if anyone else had a GPS and what it read. I'm not sure if course was long or if my Garmin is not accurate. It did seem to play up  little when running through city tall buildings.

Cheers

#41 JXT

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:06 AM

View Postfreddy, on 20 September 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

On Sunday I ran my 1st ever marathon at 47 years of age. Was all going to plan until about  the 37K mark where thighs started to cramp. I was forced to walk a 100m then run 400m for last couple of Ks to finish just over 4hrs. Just getting to start was a win for win, but stoked to complete 1st one.

Just a quick question. My Garmin showed race  was 43.1K. Just wondering if anyone else had a GPS and what it read. I'm not sure if course was long or if my Garmin is not accurate. It did seem to play up  little when running through city tall buildings.

Cheers

Congrats on running your first marathon.
Civilian GPS is, by its very design, wildly inaccurate. To record only 900 metres different to the certified course is pretty good.

#42 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:54 PM

Well done!
Agreed, although perhaps an extra 900m in the marathon would feel like 2k+! (Extra respect to you JXT for putting the course diversion behind you so well!)
As you ID'd there's the building factor. Also whether you are able to run the racing line while concentrating on everything else.
Also I believe most watches measure long to allow for error (0.1%?) but also as it's better for the pace function to show you slightly slower than reality so you don't get a big surprise at the finish line.
You can relax a bit more in AIMS measured events. To monitor other runs, or your watch generally, you would compare it to where the course km markers are.
Even then depends whether placed on nearest pole to the mark or the actual mark.
I know there was that film about military testing and staring at goats, I'm hoping there'll be a civilian GPS watch which responds to staring...

#43 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:34 PM

you usually find that the gps will be out - I've had a few 43 or 42.8. In Narrabeen this year my watch showed 41 but it lost signal for a little bit. The Sydney Marathon has issues on the return into the city from Centennial park. The buildings play havoc with signals.....

#44 TassiePenguin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:53 AM

As a course measurer, I can fairly confidently say that a Gold label race would be pretty much spot on :)  As mentioned GPS is not totally accurate, I think my Garmin showed 42.63, and the big giveaway was my 26th km, which came in as a 3.43 (average 4.10), and up until then, I had been beeping within about 100m of the markers, and all of a sudden it was about 400.  That was, whilst admittedly a little downhill, the km through all the high buildings.  Prior to that, my had been pretty close.

#45 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:15 PM

All is quiet for 2019,  I will be there for the 1/2. Hoping to cheer on the marathoners for a little while, as I have a friends birthday lunch in Baulkham Hills.

#46 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:32 PM

I'll be there as usual for the full - trying to keep D43 honest. Wondering if I should go full retro and wear the CR top...

#47 JXT

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:16 PM

Best of luck BeesKnees and bobbys (and everyone else running). Iíve seen the road closure signs recently and am very jealous of those running.

#48 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:50 PM

View PostJXT, on 12 September 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

Best of luck BeesKnees and bobbys (and everyone else running). I've seen the road closure signs recently and am very jealous of those running.
Was in the gym on the way to hydrotherapy when I got side tracked to watch you all. Ok it was mostly the very fast  Felix Kiprotich and Stellah Barsosio smash Blackmores Sydney Running festival course records. Sat on a bike in front of a screen and surprised I was not tossed out for cheering :)
Michael Kunyuga and Japan's third-place finisher Saturo Sasaki also ran under the previous course record of 2:11:18. Busy day!

Stellah Barsosio back tracking for her last drink station had me gasping a little. Hope you all had a ball and met your goals. You kicked them just trying of course.
Well done and thanks - loved watching.

#49 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:25 PM

I posted this on How was your run- should also be here. Nice cool start ahead of the anticipated high of 27 made the first half reasonably pleasant.

Plan was to run around 5:20 pace but without much effort found myself much quicker. Then, after the corkscrew at circular quay, I was at sub 5:00 pace. After a further 2 km, I realised that the tunnel lost GPS and had it confused so I stopped relying too much on the unit. Found I managed the first half sub 1:50. Last time, I blew up around 26km so as I approached the markers, I ticked 26km, then 30 and then 35km. The heat started to take it's toll and ended up a couple of short walks between 38 and 41km. The km splits were I walked only blew up to around 6:30.

As I crossed the line, managed to get under gun time of 3:50 and nett time was 3:48:44. Pretty happy with that and that's the last 3 reasonably close in time.

As always, Wayne puts on a great event. Vollies were great and the water hoses in pyrmont were appreciated.

That's number 6 for 2019 done.

#50 Andrew09

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:32 AM

Tough-ish day at the office yesterday. I had been worrying about the expected heat all week leading up to the marathon and it got me on the end. I felt like I was cruising thru to the 30km mark , then started to feel the pinch thru to 35km and then hit the wall. Had to walk at a couple of the later drink stations and then felt strong again thru the last 3km to finish in 3hr 32 mins. I ran home strong as I cannot let my family see me walking! The heat was a factor for me - full sun , no cloud cover , lack of shade around the Pyrmont wharves , no Parramatta River breezes ,  the radiant heat off the road surfaces , all add up in the end. And maybe lack of mileage in my legs as I am down about 400km for the year due to my earlier knee problems. Saw one of the leading male runners broken down at the exit to Centennial Park so glad to have beaten him! Anyway a good day out and good to see the race record being broken. Glad to be a part of it