Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:43 AM

I am always lucky. But if you are asking if I got into 6 Foot, then the answer is yes.

#3 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

Now Horrie there is no need to be a Daft Punk in your response.

#4 frankie17

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

Lucky not lucky.  #6.

#5 iRonnie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:17 PM

I have been running and entering races for more than thirty years and I wonder if other older runners, and folks generally, can relate to Bobby Bare's song, "Things Change".  

https://www.youtube....h?v=kq5mumu9zQU

#6 trossy

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

Missed out on first round but scraped in via second round - in for #3

#7 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:49 AM

iRonnie I'll take the folks generally option.
I'm sure plenty can relate to the leopard-skin print guitar.
Otherwise the constant changing of shoe models and the ascendancy of rapidly obsolete technology (my improvements would be a Garmin watch strap that lasts longer than an Aldi special and battery life, otherwise perhaps they can wait or be less generally rolled out), and different fun run mysteries (join parkrun but not CR/club, what is it with medals, do shares in laundry products go up after Tough Mudder and Colour runs).
With 6FT different entry models have been tried and fair enough if the system can work better. Challenge of rewarding previous participants and attracting new ones to keep it going. I imagine also with wave allocations.

#8 iRonnie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:05 PM

View PostDavinator, on 03 December 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

iRonnie I'll take the folks generally option.
I'm sure plenty can relate to the leopard-skin print guitar.
Otherwise the constant changing of shoe models and the ascendancy of rapidly obsolete technology (my improvements would be a Garmin watch strap that lasts longer than an Aldi special and battery life, otherwise perhaps they can wait or be less generally rolled out), and different fun run mysteries (join parkrun but not CR/club, what is it with medals, do shares in laundry products go up after Tough Mudder and Colour runs).
With 6FT different entry models have been tried and fair enough if the system can work better. Challenge of rewarding previous participants and attracting new ones to keep it going. I imagine also with wave allocations.
   I am not sure what you"re trying to say Davinator. I am sure plenty of older runners, like me, can relate to the way things have changed over the years.  I think the leopard skin guitar is a pretty good symbol of people's changing likes and dislikes.  What is cool to a youngster these days (such as a leopard skin guitar)  may well be an anathema to an old fella or lady.  You'd be surprised at the things people used to like and now think otherwise.  

My comment was in no way a criticism of the Sixfoot Track  entry process itself (not this time) :rolleyes: .  I had a wee bit of fun and games with my computer when trying to enter.  The organisers were re-assuring and helpful.  I had to change to another computer and contact organisers before sorting things.  iRonnie is not too computer savvy. I was told that I was the only person who encountered this problem so I thought it kinda funny how some old folks, especially me, can be a few steps behind the technology.  Just go to any Masters' website and  see the way that things have changed.  I think in some cases one can still submit a race entry on paper, but generally the change to digital and communicating on social media has pretty well been embraced by the older athletes.  Things change.  

I was, like many others I know, around when you could rock up on the morning of a major marathon and enter the race. I will admit that I miss the simplicity of those days.  Nevertheless, one thing that is still pretty constant is the good will of most runners and race organisers.   My " things-change" motif was more about the reliance on technology (great when it works well) than the difficult choices that race organisers must make in these interesting and changing times.

Edited by iRonnie, 09 December 2017 - 03:08 PM.

#9 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:22 PM

iRonnie I was agreeing with you.
I decided I wasn't an older runner.
Perhaps there are other uses for leopard print.
I took the opportunity to list some changes in running and I thought I mentioned some tech changes.
As the thread is about 6FT, I thought perhaps refer to changes in that.
No inference or implication you were criticising it.

Hope you are still running superbly and enjoying it.

#10 frankie17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:33 AM

A quiet olde thread this year...

Edited by frankie17, 06 February 2018 - 09:33 AM.

#11 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:56 PM

The CR excitement is clearly at fever pitch for this years event so thought Iíd sneak this post in before the race eve rush.

An exciting lineup in both the male/female divisions with all the talk centering on the Vlad v Benny face off  and the Vic v Steph v Lou womens rumble in the black range jungle etc etc etc.

But we all know the real race is in the over 60ís division, where two CRís lineup in a mouthwatering clash of the titans. Ironnie v Bounder (OK, so bounder hasnt posted here since the turn of the century but thats bedsides the point), Bounder has been building nicely with some standout runs on Quarry Road and seems to have recovered from his shoulder injury. Ironnies form has been hard to track but I dont think he would bother to make the trek if he wasnt ready for a big showing. In the womenís section a superstar lineup this year with perennial div winner Carol Baird facing stiff competition from the likes of Anne Mackie and Mary Stringer.

Bring it on.

#12 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:21 PM

Yes, not even the 6FT weather report with the rain this week, let alone the prognostication thread months out!
Will the record go? It certainly won't be a time trial with that field. Some Cth Games qualifiers in the marathon eg Vlad, Dave Criniti.
Then you have Brendan's local experience and multiple podiums.
Benny Saint is stepping up from the 10k but has a slick HM, a recent solid marathon debut, and has put in work locally and in the mountains overseas.

I thought 6FT FB would be a little more active but they do have some great profiles on the runners and some teams.
Thanks for the heads up on the other races within the race, it's all about the competition and best efforts.

#13 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:41 AM

Best wishes to al the runners. Maybe Brendan on the podium. But then again I tipped the Broncos last night. :Silly:

#14 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:59 AM

If Benís archilles holds up i reckons we might see a new course record.

Edited by riffraff, 09 March 2018 - 09:00 AM.

#15 frankie17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:32 PM

David Criniti has been doing well in the road marathons.  Good luck all.

#16 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:48 AM

Vlad, Steph, Bounder and Baird :)

Great day out, once again highlighted by Keith Hongs impeccable bus transport organisation skills. Golf clap, champion.

Edit: http://www.coolrunni...300#entry934901

* Donít risk turning this iconic race into some cheap #metoo Fairfax event

Edited by riffraff, 11 March 2018 - 09:43 AM.

#17 David C

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

Indeed, it was a good day out, the weather was near perfect; the check points all well manned. I even managed to run in a pair of Hoka's which were surprisingly great for me on the day.

My only problem was cracking a rib about 10 days prior (and an old hamstring tear) ... just another day at 6FT.