Jump to content


Gold Coast Marathon - 1st July 2018


  • You cannot reply to this topic
116 replies to this topic

#1 Keno

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined: 16-April 14
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:22 AM

Celebrate the special 40th edition of the Gold Coast Marathon and run for the good times on Saturday 30 June Sunday 1 July 2018 on the beautiful Gold Coast.

I missed out last year due to injury, but am laser focussed on overcoming recent setbacks to head up to Australia's premier running event for my 3rd marathon.

Who else is planning on running?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 HeadlampRunner

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Joined: 12-April 15
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

I'll be there.  Already training hard and hope that I'll pick up a heap of speed once the heat and humidity drop.  Big goals this year.  Should be a fantastic event.

Edited by HeadlampRunner, 27 January 2018 - 11:50 AM.


#3 Maffrew

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Joined: 28-July 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Albany, WA

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:33 PM

I'm in this year. Ran GC in 2015 (my PB) and have only run Melbourne in 2016 since (which went poorly), so I'm hoping for a good one!

#4 Keno

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined: 16-April 14
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:48 PM

I ran in 15 & 16, missed last year through injury. Am focused on getting running fit again and putting together a good race. Previous 2 have been tough from Southport onwards on the return, not from the start ;)

Also will be bringing along some friends to run their first too.

Edited by Keno, 28 January 2018 - 07:49 PM.


#5 unicron

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined: 23-August 13
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:00 AM

i'll be there #breaking4

#6 Eagle

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts
  • Joined: 23-August 01
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Balmain within sight of the Bay Run

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

Entered. Back for # 19.

#7 RunningSurfer

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Joined: 03-February 14
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Hastings Point, NSW

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:44 PM

View Postunicron, on 01 February 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

i'll be there #breaking4

You should smash 4 hours - train smart, stay healthy and power on through the Wall!


View PostEagle, on 01 February 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

Entered. Back for # 19.

And you are a machine!

Edited by RunningSurfer, 01 February 2018 - 01:46 PM.


#8 unicron

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined: 23-August 13
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:46 PM

View PostRunningSurfer, on 01 February 2018 - 01:44 PM, said:

You should smash 4 hours - train smart, stay healthy and power on through the Wall!

I know. Getting to the start line at 100% has always been my challenge. And it's not a soft PB until you prove it was so.

#9 RunningSurfer

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Joined: 03-February 14
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Hastings Point, NSW

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

Your times are all much better than mine and I managed to go well under 4. Don’t sell yourself short and set the bar high!

#10 Eagle

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts
  • Joined: 23-August 01
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Balmain within sight of the Bay Run

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:24 AM

Agree. Train smart and then hard. First aim to get to the start line fit and not carrying a niggle.

#11 Keno

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined: 16-April 14
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:33 PM

View PostEagle, on 02 February 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

Agree. Train smart and then hard. First aim to get to the start line fit and not carrying a niggle.

A poor injury year has me following this mantra. Amazing how setbacks and disappointment can fuel your desire.

I'm coming through the end (hopefully) of an ankle tendon issue, and can't wait to get back out there and rebuild.

View Postunicron, on 01 February 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

i'll be there #breaking4

Love it! Great hashtag.

#12 dadagain

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • Joined: 22-October 13
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:47 AM

Not registered yet - but I'll be there for GCAM #4.

This year however, I'm not going to bust a nut aiming for a PB, I'm going to pace a bunch from my squad. Theres a couple of women pushing on the door of 3:50 for a BQ and a couple of the guys doing their first 42.2 who are in good form over shorter distances but need some longer experience.   So I've said I'm happy to try and run an unofficial 3:50 bus! (3:49:5x I guess would be preferable!)

Anyone here wants to tag along you'd be more than welcome! (Unicron - You can definitely go comfortably sub 4 if the body holds together, so you're welcome to jump on the 3:50 bus for a bit of company)

#13 unicron

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined: 23-August 13
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:44 PM

View Postdadagain, on 04 February 2018 - 08:47 AM, said:

Anyone here wants to tag along you'd be more than welcome! (Unicron - You can definitely go comfortably sub 4 if the body holds together, so you're welcome to jump on the 3:50 bus for a bit of company)

My goal, in all honesty is 3:45:00. But that depends on everything going right. Even with a less than 100% prep I'm confident of going under 4 as long as I line up at the start not carrying any niggles.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for you. Will probably try and stick to the 3:45:x pacer but i'll be running conservatively, so not afraid to start a little slower than that and build into the run.

Edited by unicron, 05 February 2018 - 03:09 PM.


#14 RunningSurfer

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Joined: 03-February 14
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Hastings Point, NSW

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

View Postunicron, on 05 February 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:


My goal, in all honesty is 3:45:00. But that depends on everything going right. Even with a less than 100% prep I'm confident of going under 4 as long as I line up at the start not carrying any niggles.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for you. Will probably try and stick to the 3:45:x pacer but i'll be running conservatively, so not afraid to start a little slower than that and build into the run.

Sounds like a much better way to go under 3:45 than my wonderful idea of heading out too fast and struggling home!

#15 TassiePenguin

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Joined: 11-January 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Hobart, Tas

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:59 PM

I am back for the third year in a row wearing the 90 minute balloons for the half marathon, and the 50 minute balloons for the 10km on Saturday, hoping to drag lots and lots of people to their goals and PBs :)

Unicorn, I think the pacers in the full are on 10s, so would be 3.40 and 3.50.  I trained a couple of ladies last year who went out with the 3,50 pacer until 32km, and then moved up to go sub 3.45 :)

#16 unicron

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined: 23-August 13
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:25 PM

View PostTassiePenguin, on 05 February 2018 - 07:59 PM, said:

Unicorn, I think the pacers in the full are on 10s, so would be 3.40 and 3.50.  I trained a couple of ladies last year who went out with the 3,50 pacer until 32km, and then moved up to go sub 3.45 :)

Yes I realised that today! Every ten minutes.. https://goldcoastmar...nners/marathon/

I think i'll try and slot in between the two sets of balloons but erring on the side of caution ;)

#17 Chopper the Hands man

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Joined: 01-May 07
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:33 PM

Yep doing my first. Turned 40 and decided to enter 40th addition. Be happy to get to start line uninjured. Good luck to all.

#18 Keno

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined: 16-April 14
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

View PostChopper the Hands man, on 07 February 2018 - 07:33 PM, said:

Yep doing my first. Turned 40 and decided to enter 40th addition. Be happy to get to start line uninjured. Good luck to all.

Always a good reason aligning the milestones. Tell us about your running history, what other runs have you completed in the past?

#19 bingo01

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Joined: 01-June 11
  • Sex:Female
  • Location:out running somewhere

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:13 PM

Me!!
After doing great ocean road last year in 4:50 ( the marathon, not the 45) I am going to give 4:29:59 a good nudge....
I hope !

#20 UnfitnessFanatic

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  • Joined: 20-July 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Port Macquarie

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:24 AM

Who's jumping on the 3 hour bus this year?

All things going well I'll be bringing home some more people like my new mate Dazza from 2017.

Attached File  FB_IMG_1519244552896.jpg   81.1K   21 downloads

#21 Keno

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined: 16-April 14
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:49 AM

Well my goals for 2018 have taken a hit. Unable to shake my ankle pain I've been diagnosed with Posterior Tibialis Tendon Disfunction. Recovery to get up and running again (back to normal levels) is likely to be 6 months.

While I'm disappointed to be missing out, it's more important to take the long term view and be running many years more. Looks like I'll be setting my goals on returning in 2019

#22 HeadlampRunner

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Joined: 12-April 15
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:40 PM

Disappointing to hear Keno, but it sounds like the sensible decision.  hope you'll be back in peak form next year.

#23 RunningPat

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined: 22-June 17
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:30 AM

View PostKeno, on 25 February 2018 - 06:49 AM, said:

I've been diagnosed with Posterior Tibialis Tendon Disfunction.
Sorry to hear Keno!
This happened to me last year after overtraining and some bad physio advice.

I still ran and finished. I was on a walking stick for 6 weeks and only started training again in January of this year.

I'm now running 7 minute K's 4 times a week with one fast run at 5:30 to 6 minute K's.
Slowly building a decent base but terrified of going too hard or fast.

Edited by RunningPat, 22 March 2018 - 07:34 AM.


#24 Eagle

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts
  • Joined: 23-August 01
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Balmain within sight of the Bay Run

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:16 AM

Kano
That sounds a terrible injury. Tendon injuries are traditionally difficult to treat as compared to muscle. Have patience and come back stonger

#25 RunningPat

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined: 22-June 17
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:06 PM

This is my training for GC18.
https://docs.google....it?usp=drivesdk

I'd appreciate any comments from the more experienced runners - if my spreadsheet makes sense....

#26 Seano

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Joined: 07-July 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Gold Coast

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:07 AM

View PostRunningPat, on 24 March 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

This is my training for GC18.
https://docs.google....it?usp=drivesdk

I'd appreciate any comments from the more experienced runners - if my spreadsheet makes sense....
If it's not a silly question, which distance are you training for?
I like how the pace varies a bit.
Maybe a suggestion could be to have a rest week every 4-5 weeks where you run no faster than 7min/k.
It takes a bit of discipline to do this & then you might really enjoy the next week when you can return to your normal pace with a refreshed body.

It looks like you've been running pretty consistently now for nearly 2 months.

#27 Keno

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined: 16-April 14
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:37 AM

View PostRunningPat, on 22 March 2018 - 07:30 AM, said:

View PostKeno, on 25 February 2018 - 06:49 AM, said:

I've been diagnosed with Posterior Tibialis Tendon Disfunction.
Sorry to hear Keno!
This happened to me last year after overtraining and some bad physio advice.

I still ran and finished. I was on a walking stick for 6 weeks and only started training again in January of this year.

I'm now running 7 minute K's 4 times a week with one fast run at 5:30 to 6 minute K's.
Slowly building a decent base but terrified of going too hard or fast.

It's a long slow road to recovery. I've got a podiatrist who is helping rebuild me :)

No running since the start of the year (which I miss heaps) but have introduced some serious orthotics to help with arch support, and now doing some light tendon strengthening.

I've accepted 2018 as a write off, and will rebuild a stronger me for the future.

#28 Malarkey

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Joined: 14-June 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:11 PM

View Postdadagain, on 04 February 2018 - 08:47 AM, said:

Not registered yet - but I'll be there for GCAM #4.

This year however, I'm not going to bust a nut aiming for a PB, I'm going to pace a bunch from my squad. Theres a couple of women pushing on the door of 3:50 for a BQ and a couple of the guys doing their first 42.2 who are in good form over shorter distances but need some longer experience.   So I've said I'm happy to try and run an unofficial 3:50 bus! (3:49:5x I guess would be preferable!)

Anyone here wants to tag along you'd be more than welcome! (Unicron - You can definitely go comfortably sub 4 if the body holds together, so you're welcome to jump on the 3:50 bus for a bit of company)

If training goes well between now and July, I might try and join you guys!

#29 RunningPat

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined: 22-June 17
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:52 AM

View PostSeano, on 25 March 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

View PostRunningPat, on 24 March 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

This is my training for GC18.
https://docs.google....it?usp=drivesdk

I'd appreciate any comments from the more experienced runners - if my spreadsheet makes sense....
If it's not a silly question, which distance are you training for?
I like how the pace varies a bit.
Maybe a suggestion could be to have a rest week every 4-5 weeks where you run no faster than 7min/k.
It takes a bit of discipline to do this & then you might really enjoy the next week when you can return to your normal pace with a refreshed body.

It looks like you've been running pretty consistently now for nearly 2 months.

I'm running the full and have had 3 weeks off training - work commitments and a holiday to cyclone sticken queensland made it impossible to get my runs in.

Back on my feet now with some tight rules around food, alcohol (i.e. none) and runs being the priority (yes, even over work!).

Found this an interesting read for anyone planning a PB
https://medium.com/r...on-d37d0c4c3d91

#30 Canons

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined: 29-November 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Toowoomba QLD

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

Everyone must be in the thick of training with no recent updates......

Still yet to commit to a specific race for the wknd, having run the Half the past 2 years and full before that. Thinking a targeted PB over the shorter 10k might be the best I can hope for, with not long till race day.

How's everyone feeling about their buildup?

#31 Seano

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Joined: 07-July 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Gold Coast

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

View PostRunningPat, on 18 April 2018 - 08:52 AM, said:

View PostSeano, on 25 March 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

View PostRunningPat, on 24 March 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

This is my training for GC18.
https://docs.google....it?usp=drivesdk

I'd appreciate any comments from the more experienced runners - if my spreadsheet makes sense....
If it's not a silly question, which distance are you training for?
I like how the pace varies a bit.
Maybe a suggestion could be to have a rest week every 4-5 weeks where you run no faster than 7min/k.
It takes a bit of discipline to do this & then you might really enjoy the next week when you can return to your normal pace with a refreshed body.

It looks like you've been running pretty consistently now for nearly 2 months.

I'm running the full and have had 3 weeks off training - work commitments and a holiday to cyclone sticken queensland made it impossible to get my runs in.

Back on my feet now with some tight rules around food, alcohol (i.e. none) and runs being the priority (yes, even over work!).

Found this an interesting read for anyone planning a PB
https://medium.com/r...on-d37d0c4c3d91
Hi Running Pat.
Sorry I missed your last post.
If I am reading your spreadsheet correctly, I think you need to prioritise running a weekend long run.
Between 20-30KM, once a week for  the next 5 weeks probably.
As slow as you can manage & stay sane.
Many people tell you you need to go beyond 30Km plus. I think at this stage you need to do as many long runs as possible, not lesser longer runs, if that makes sense.
This will build your ability to store glycogen & help your body burn that glycogen more efficiently.
There is a risk by doing this amount of work on the base you have, might get you into strife, but i'd argue you're better off doing that in training than in the 42.2K race.
Any other running or cross training should be around making sure you front up for your long runs in good condition.

Disclaimer, I am not a coach or qualified to give advice!

#32 HeadlampRunner

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Joined: 12-April 15
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:31 PM

Not sure about everyone else, but I'm definitely in the thick of training.  I did a long fast run a couple of weeks ago (30k at close to marathon pace).  With a bit more training and a taper I think goal pace is looking good.  No niggles (touch wood).  At the moment I'm planning out my last bit of training and the taper.  I always struggle to work out what to do during the taper... I'll figure it out though.

You must be in the thick of training Canons - your signature still shows 2017 goals :)

#33 Canons

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined: 29-November 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Toowoomba QLD

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

View PostHeadlampRunner, on 17 May 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

Not sure about everyone else, but I'm definitely in the thick of training.  I did a long fast run a couple of weeks ago (30k at close to marathon pace).  With a bit more training and a taper I think goal pace is looking good.  No niggles (touch wood).  At the moment I'm planning out my last bit of training and the taper.  I always struggle to work out what to do during the taper... I'll figure it out though.

You must be in the thick of training Canons - your signature still shows 2017 goals :)

Yes HR, I've obviously failed in that regard. Should really be making those goals for the 201X period, as they're still very much unfulfilled!
Can't say I've done enough training for a longer distance goal, so a sub 35 min 10k is definitely the target.

A couple of Parkruns in the lead-up should determine whether its within reach.

HR if you've just completed a 30k race pace run in training you'll surely be in a good spot 6 weeks out. My advice for the taper would simply be to run your last Long (long) run 3 weeks out, maybe between 32-38km. I'd then drop back to a low 20k run 2 weeks out and so-on. Keep the quality up there to ensure the legs stay used to some decent pace.

#34 dadagain

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • Joined: 22-October 13
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:10 PM

HR - Obviously everyones experience and opinions vary, but I'm a fan of a shorter taper:

3wks out: 100km week 37km long run (fast final 10km)
2wks out: 76km week 32km long run
1wks out: 35km week 12km long run (race tempo)
0wks out: 13km tue[8]&thu[5] both at pace before race sunday!

Ultimately you have to do what works for you though. I know if I try to taper any further back than that I start to feel psychologically unready, the 2 week period is just enough to really binge on sleep and feel the speed start to flow into the legs!

#35 HeadlampRunner

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Joined: 12-April 15
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:13 PM

Thanks Canons and Dadagain.  Part of the reason for my taper quandry is that my volume is much higher this year.  I'm doing up to 162km a week with doubles on Monday to Thursday.  My long run has been 38k most weeks and my 2 other quality runs have been around 25kms (3k warmup, intervals or tempo around a track and then about 13kms "warm down" into the city).

I'm a fan of the three week taper and toying with shortening my long run, dropping my afternoon runs and in the last week shortening my quality days to my morning commute length (16k) with some mearathon pace sections.  I'll look at a few marathon plans with big mileage and see what they do before I make my decision.

#36 velonomad

    Newbie

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined: 04-July 17
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Northern NSW, Australia

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:11 PM

View Postdadagain, on 21 May 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

HR - Obviously everyones experience and opinions vary, but I'm a fan of a shorter taper:

3wks out: 100km week 37km long run (fast final 10km)
2wks out: 76km week 32km long run
1wks out: 35km week 12km long run (race tempo)
0wks out: 13km tue[8]&thu[5] both at pace before race sunday!

Ultimately you have to do what works for you though. I know if I try to taper any further back than that I start to feel psychologically unready, the 2 week period is just enough to really binge on sleep and feel the speed start to flow into the legs!

Thanks for this. So a question.

Last year I ran the GC half, running a 91min with about 4 weeks training - I think I ran about 110km from late May with a week off leading up to it.

This year, am turning 40, so am thinking the full, I know it's late. Barely run since then (I mainly cycle).

If I was going to do the full, with an aim to break 3h30 (210) mins (based off last year's result), what would be a crash training breakdown.

Currently tracking around 4'00-4'10 splits for a hilly 5-7k (harder if I push) and about 4'10 on a hilly 10. Am going to do a 14k AM tomorrow at race tempo, rest Fri, ride Sat and ~21k (aiming for 95 mins - hilly where I live) on Sunday to see where I am at.

Edited by velonomad, 23 May 2018 - 01:12 PM.


#37 Canons

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined: 29-November 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Toowoomba QLD

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:10 AM

View Postvelonomad, on 23 May 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

View Postdadagain, on 21 May 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

HR - Obviously everyones experience and opinions vary, but I'm a fan of a shorter taper:

3wks out: 100km week 37km long run (fast final 10km)
2wks out: 76km week 32km long run
1wks out: 35km week 12km long run (race tempo)
0wks out: 13km tue[8]&thu[5] both at pace before race sunday!

Ultimately you have to do what works for you though. I know if I try to taper any further back than that I start to feel psychologically unready, the 2 week period is just enough to really binge on sleep and feel the speed start to flow into the legs!

Thanks for this. So a question.

Last year I ran the GC half, running a 91min with about 4 weeks training - I think I ran about 110km from late May with a week off leading up to it.

This year, am turning 40, so am thinking the full, I know it's late. Barely run since then (I mainly cycle).

If I was going to do the full, with an aim to break 3h30 (210) mins (based off last year's result), what would be a crash training breakdown.

Currently tracking around 4'00-4'10 splits for a hilly 5-7k (harder if I push) and about 4'10 on a hilly 10. Am going to do a 14k AM tomorrow at race tempo, rest Fri, ride Sat and ~21k (aiming for 95 mins - hilly where I live) on Sunday to see where I am at.

Velonmad,

Given GC is now just over 5 weeks out, your going to be doing it tough trying to cram for a full marathon in that time. I would suggest at least 1 or 2 runs of up to 30kms in this time, and you could probably get away with a shorter (2 week taper) if your volume hasn't been massive. For your race pace or tempo runs I'd keep them relatively short. No longer than 15kms, and any speed stuff even shorter (10kms).

Even if on at least one of your long-runs, you include maybe 5-10kms at race pace at the end, that should go a long way towards preparing the body.

Best of luck! I managed to run just under 3 hours a few years ago after getting an back injury that put me out for a week, only 6 weeks out from race day. Was only managing 3 runs a week for the last month averaging ~50-60km and still got there. Quality not quantity would be my mantra.

#38 dadagain

    1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • Joined: 22-October 13
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:29 AM

Tough question velonmad!

A 1:30 half off next to no training is very impressive and a testament to a high level of fitness you've got from the cycling. You clearly have the speed in your legs to run well.

On the face of it a 1:30 half should convert to a 3:30 marathon without too much of a problem... Its a half thats faster than my best and a full thats well within my capabilities - and any of the race calculators will tell you a 1:30 half is good for closer to a 3:15 marathon.

That being said - all those calculators and my experience are based on significant training volumes associated with marathon training. You may find that all the speediness and aerobic fitness in the world wont help you once you get into the 35km+ distance and the relentless pounding that your legs are not used to starts to take its toll.

Dont get me wrong - I wish you the best of luck, but the marathon can be a cruel mistress and not treating the distance with the respect it deserves could get you hurt. Its too late now to get any meaningful base training done - but over the next couple of weeks get out there and have a proper long slow run and see how you feel. Can you run for nearly 4 hours without feeling crippled? Do it really slowly, practice your in race nutrition (perhaps your cycling experience will help here?) - and make sure your feet and legs can last. If they cant do it at a slow pace in training, they wont like it when you run hard in a race!

Keep us informed

#39 TriToRun

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined: 13-October 14
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Adelaide

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:43 AM

Happy Days - I'm in!

Hoping to go sub 3:30

Very interesting buildup which you might like to look at here: http://www.coolrunni...showtopic=42081

#40 Horrie

    keeps on keeping on

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts
  • Joined: 26-April 04
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Little Bay

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:16 PM

I have signed up for GC Marathon #6. Looking forward to keeping the sub 4 streak alive.

#41 Canons

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined: 29-November 10
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Toowoomba QLD

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:44 AM

I'm now a late entry as well.

4 1/2 week build up should be plenty of time?
I reckon the best prep is no prep, that way there's not the psychological drain of months preparing for such a torturous event. And hopefully less risk of injury

Think I can fit in 3 x Long runs over 32km in that time (36k, 36k & 32k - 2 weeks out). Reduced taper to 2 weeks.
Goal time is now in the 2:45-48 range (anything under 4min k/pace).

Let the games begin!

#42 markhayes86

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Joined: 24-October 10

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:10 PM

Hi everyone!!

Just wondering if anyone had a Gold Coast FULL Marathon entry for sale?

Am desperately looking for one!

Cheers,

Mark

#43 HeadlampRunner

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Joined: 12-April 15
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:16 PM

Good to see you've thrown your hat in the ring Canons.  Hope to meet you at the starting line, we should be lining up in the same area.

#44 Keno

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined: 16-April 14
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Melbourne

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:33 AM

GC Marathon sold out yesterday, a month before the race. They had huge surge of entries after the comm games.not sure what the field size is, but best of luck to all those participating

#45 HeadlampRunner

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Joined: 12-April 15
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

Wow.  It would be nice to know how many enterred.  I guess I'll have to count them when I'm there :p

Edited by HeadlampRunner, 02 June 2018 - 09:23 AM.


#46 Seano

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Joined: 07-July 09
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Gold Coast

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:40 AM

View PostHeadlampRunner, on 02 June 2018 - 09:22 AM, said:

Wow.  It would be nice to know how many enterred.  I guess I'll have to count them when I'm there :p
6000 is what I heard this morning at parkrun.
Probably right... possibly not right.

#47 HeadlampRunner

    veryCoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Joined: 12-April 15
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:01 AM

I'm guessing slightly higher, both 2015 and 2016 had over 6000 (2016 had 6216 entrants).  Hopefully that means there will be more people for me to chase.... And pass all going well :)

#48 Malarkey

    CoolRunner

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Joined: 14-June 11
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Brisbane

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:01 PM

Like so many other people, I'm looking for an entry to GC full marathon please!

#49 Slimma

    Newbie

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined: 28-March 17
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Geelong

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:22 PM

Hi all. Im in the same boat as many & while working through injury held off my entry. Only just found out its sold out. Anyone looking to down grade or cant make it I am more than desperate to run this marathon. Please let me know.

#50 Slimma

    Newbie

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined: 28-March 17
  • Sex:Male
  • Location:Geelong

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:34 PM

Luckily I scored myself an entry. If your looking for one Id suggest posting on Triathlon Marketplace. on FB as not many people asking there and those that are have had luck.
The Gold Coast Marathon First Timmers page is popular and there is a section/post just for those wanting an entry.
I was also recommended some other groups to try if you want some more suggestions?
Good luck everyone!!!