14 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew09

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:04 AM

Sunday 22 July 2018 in the Pokolbin region of the Hunter Valley NSW. Any CR's done this event before? I have entered the marathon and the family and I are going to make it a great weekend for all of us. It sounds a bit fancy up there too!

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:28 PM

Sounds interesting! Unfortunately cannot help as I have not done this run before. Have been to 2 wynyard in Pokolbin on Saturday :) love it up there

Edited by Jindalee, 05 February 2018 - 03:30 PM.

#3 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:09 PM

No direct experience but will add so as to bump this waiting for words of wisdom from Eagle, Horrie and co.
I hear over the years the course has changed a bit removing some hills but that there is still some variety in the surfaces you run on.
The people I know who've done it were only a few minutes off PB and many return each year.
They are strong runners with similar marathon PBs to you yet faster 10k/HM PBs so your 2015 time shows endurance strength and who knows you might surprise yourself with your placing more than your time.

#4 Andrew09

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:51 PM

At the age of 45 we'll see about that!

#5 Eagle

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,551 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:28 PM

I am not sure what I can add. The course has changed significantly since I ran it a couple of years ago. Then it was two laps but that is not relevant now. There will be hills but where and how long I have no idea. It was always really cold at he start but soon warmed up fro some pleasant running. It is on about the same time as when I ran it.

Best wishes. I expect I will run it this year.

#6 CessnockRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

Andrew,

Yeah new course started last year. I didn't run it but I live local and there are a few long grinding hills on the tar road on the out and back 5.5k along Deasy's Rd and the marathon does the whole course twice. The old course had similar hills but also had a fairly steep one that was about 300m long that you got to did twice and this new course doesn't have a hill like that. Paul the RD usually has a few stalls selling food and run gear and usually a band and some kids stuff like a rock climbing wall, jumping castle without knowing your kids ages but it's always a good atmosphere.

The family should enjoy if you haven't been up this way before. Bit expensive in the vineyard area for food and accommodation but a good treat. Hunter Valley Gardens are just up the road and easy to fit in with the family. Obviously heaps of wineries with cellar doors and heaps of restaurants and there's breweries and a spirit distillery too if any of that takes your fancy. Big trail running area but I guess that doesn't help you.

Eagle will remember the year we started our second lap of the marathon together up a long incline between the grapevines, running into a howling southerly and pouring rain. Fun times (or maybe not) :)

Enjoy your run and the weekend. Anything else specific you want to ask, give me a yell.

Cheers,
Grahame

#7 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,551 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:55 AM

CR some running moments stay with us others quickly fade. That memory is very clear. It presented a real challenge and 'that' hill was looming not far away.

#8 Horrie

keeps on keeping on

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

View PostDavinator, on 05 February 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

No direct experience but will add so as to bump this waiting for words of wisdom from Eagle, Horrie and co.
I hear over the years the course has changed a bit removing some hills but that there is still some variety in the surfaces you run on.
The people I know who've done it were only a few minutes off PB and many return each year.
They are strong runners with similar marathon PBs to you yet faster 10k/HM PBs so your 2015 time shows endurance strength and who knows you might surprise yourself with your placing more than your time.

Sorry Davinator, I have only run this marathon once in 2016 and they have changed the course since then. It was a good event with a nice vibe and I would recommend it for those looking for an enjoyable weekend away.

#9 Chrus

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:58 PM

I was just looking at this one this morning. Looks like it would be a fun run.
The only problem I can see is that it's on the 3rd weekend of the Tour de France. And at that point I'm working on very little sleep and not running much at all.

How many runners do they usually pull for this event? Is it a big one?

#10 CessnockRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:58 AM

Chrus,

For a rough idea, looking at last years results from the website there were 86 finishers in the marathon, 389 in the half, 512 in the 10k and 235 in the 6k (total = 1222)

#11 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,551 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:10 AM

For a 'country' marathon it is very professionally organised and very well supported

#12 Maffrew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:12 PM

I've done both the old course and did the new one in 2017. The new venue at the golf course estate was better than the old Hunter Valley Gardens one, there was more going on and the parts of the race course that were run around the golf course (almost all on concrete footpaths) were lovely. There is still some variety in the course, with concrete footpaths, tarred road (which is where the biggest hills are) and a couple of sections of grass/less sure footing.

While there isn't anything as steep as the Audrey Wilkinson hill from the old course, the overall elevation gain was similar. It's not an easy course, but it was a good event. I ran 1:16:50ish in the half there in July and at the end of August ran 1:13:47 at the much flatter Lake Macquarie course. Some of that is the course, some of it is an improvement in fitness, but you could definitely say the Winery course is '2min slower' than a fast/flat one.

#13 Andrew09

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:40 PM

Winery marathon done and dusted. Ran 3hr 29m and finished in tenth position. Initially it said ninth but someone (not me) must've had their time adjusted somewhere along the line (boooooo) Not an easy course , you got that right. In terms of difficulty it is up there with the M7 marathon. Beautiful course with beautiful surroundings. Minus 3 degrees at the start! Lucky I had tape on the nipples. :)  Nice shirt and medal at the end. And a well run event. I will certainly look at doing it again. For my first time in the Hunter Region I was impressed with the beauty of the area and the wineries and the local produce. I finished the day off with a stout at the Matilda Bay Brewery. Yum!

Saw lots of kangaroos , ducks , cows , hot air balloons. And saw some birds (feathered kind) that I hadn't seen before. I must go and look them up before I forget.

#14 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,551 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:32 PM

It was a great morning - yes very cold but still, sunny and blue skies. I difficult course with the winding path through the golf course and then the hills on the road section. Despite that I am okay with the course. It is what it is. Scenic yes with the frost on the grass and plenty of bird life.

Held back a little on the first half as I had not run it before. Very pleased with 2.15/2.10 splits. Quickest marathon this year.

#15 Andrew09

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:39 AM

Those concrete paths become a little hard-wearing in the end. I had one sore right heel at the end. All good in the left. I blame the concrete and the fact I probably heel-strike more on my right than I do on my left foot. The funniest part of the day was trying to take a drink from a drink cup that had ice in it. Even the drinks were freezing over!