Western Sydney Marathon 2 June 2018Western Sydney Marathon Talk (2018)

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 bobbys

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:56 AM

Just putting this out there - 2nd June is the date (Saturday)

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:54 AM

Noted. Change of date from previous years.. Should be very cool. I have run all of them but am not good at keeping records so I am not sure how many that is.

#3 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:37 AM

In case anyone wants the link

http://www.westernsy...marathon.com.au

#4 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:33 AM

I will be there, hoping the wind will be less than last year

#5 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:14 AM

Not sure why it took me so long but I finally registered this morning.

This year, we won't be hoping for it to be cool - rather hoping for it to be above freezing :Praying:

#6 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:30 AM

Very quiet on this one so just bumping it up. On this Saturday. Weather looks perfect - slightly chilly but should be pleasant (as opposed to humid in past years).

#7 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

Yes very quiet. Probably because some of the usual suspects are running at Sri Chinmoy at Blacktown. Should be a pleasant change to gave cold and not the heat, humidity and sometimes the wind of October. No time predictions for me. Nice to be just under 5 hour but if I am over that so be it.

#8 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

I will be there and hoping to go under 5 1/2hours, so I can do Mudgee and not stress about it. I have done 2.30 for SMH 1/2 and 2.27 for Bathurst so really, really hopeful. Hope there will be less wind than last year. Looking forward to seeing people as they pass me by. Hoping that hill isn't as hard as it has become in my mind :)

#9 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:07 PM

BN
I am looking forward to seeing you out there again. Best wishes with the race plan - well finish time. Think strong and you are strong !!!

#10 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:54 PM

So with the Western Sydney moved to June, I wasn't sure if rather than complaining about the potential heat, there would be complaints about the cold. Not the case today although the wind did make it a little challenging in some parts of the course.

Prior to the run, I was targeting a sub 3:40 so that I could get a PB. My next best time was 3:49 but with my fall a few weeks ago, I wasn't sure if I could achieve it. On the way out there, I was trying to work out a race pace but decided to throw caution to the wind and just go for it. Pre-race, managed to catch up with D_43, BeesKnees, Eagle, and Road. Gun went off and quickly found that I was managing 4:50 pace for the first 10km. By 21km, I was just under 1:45 (first time since around 2014 that I've hit that time). My second half slowed and there were times that I felt I'd blown up by going out too fast. Managed to tack some concrete at one of the drinks station which stopped me from walking and although only one split hit the 6min pace (I did walk through a drinks station for 2 drinks), I managed to finish in 3:42:18.

All things considered, I'm happy with the result and the way that my times have improved over the last 6 months. I always thought that going sub 3:30 was unachievable for me but after a 7min improvement from Canberra, it's back on the radar (provided I stay injury free).

Now - feet up, some rest and then to start planning the next one. M7??????

#11 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:40 PM

Wow a week has passed since Western Sydney.
I didn't achieve my hoped for sub 5.30 but managed to do 5.35 an improvement of a few mins from Canberra., so happy with that. Plus probably a 20 min improvement from last year with the energy sapping wind. I still need to focus on the 2nd half and also if I see others walking well just say that is their race this is mine. It was great seeing others out there and that is the advantage of a lap race for someone who is slow, it isn't too lonely.
Thanks to all who cheered me on and particularly to KatieR who stayed to see me finish.I was very cold after I finished I wasn't sure if the bag drop was happening so I left my jumper in the car.
I am contemplating the 777 marathon on June 30 which is at SOP and just down the road from my home. Hoping to be at Eagles JD marathon and hopefully my 11th M7.

#12 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:11 PM

^ congrats to finishing another Mara and on your improvements! Very well done!

#13 DESTINATION_43

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:56 PM

19 marathons since Melbourne (3:49.25) last year and I've suffered with breathing problems for six months where I finally found that a couple of my ribs which were out had been restricting the oxygen intake to my lungs!

So now heading back in the right direction and a 3:47.02 at Penrith was the first time I've run under the 3:50's since last October so hoping it's full steam ahead now with the following courses hopefully presenting me with the opportunity of running Sub 3:29 for the 17th consecutive year!

Gold Coast
Westlink M7
Townnsville
Sydney
Melbourne
Huskisson

Edited by DESTINATION_43, 13 June 2018 - 11:58 PM.

#14 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

I won't be at Townsville or Huskisson but will see  you at the others. Will agree that in the circumstances you have a 43 minute handicap in the others compared to my time.

#15 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

BUMP for the 2019 running this event on this Saturday.

First time it has been held on this date to avoid the heat that usually occurred when it was held much later.  I haven't missed one but I haven't counted how many that has been. It should make it a bit quicker because of the cooler conditions all else being equal.

#16 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:15 PM

I will be there in the marathon just looking for a finish

#17 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:50 PM

D43 always the numbers man says this is the 10th running of the marathon. Congratulations to the event organisers to have the event ringing for that long. I get local event wit plenty of race lengths.