The TAN ULTRA 2018 Sunday 24th June 2018The TAN ULTRA 2018 Sunday 24th June 2018

• You cannot reply to this topic
44 replies to this topic

#1 Robert W

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:49 PM

I've just entered the Marathon. More then likely the last Trails Plus event at the Tan which will be sad as its one of my favourites.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 bingo01

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:54 PM

Is this on a Sunday?
The surf coast trail marathon is on that weekend as well I believe

#3 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:13 PM

Hi Bingo, yes its on the Sunday 24th, I notice the Surf Coast Marathon I on Saturday the 30th so they don't clash.

Are you a chance or is it to close to Gold Coast!!

#4 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

Hmm...half tempted but as my knees donít like lap races I should better not do it. Looks like a great event though.

#5 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:10 PM

It is a great event Jindalee, its a 3.8km's loop so not bad for a lap race and a mix of compacted sand and a bit of tarmac with Anderson Street Hill thrown in for variety, I've got dodgy calf's and its never worried me when I done it previously.

#6 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:14 PM

View PostRobert W, on 10 May 2018 - 08:10 PM, said:

It is a great event Jindalee, its a 3.8km's loop so not bad for a lap race and a mix of compacted sand and a bit of tarmac with Anderson Street Hill thrown in for variety, I've got dodgy calf's and its never worried me when I done it previously.

Hmm last time I tried a lap race it was centennial park ultra which is a 5k loop? My knee went at 30km and didnít recover in the 2 laps I walked so I pulled out. Will think about it a bit more.

Edited by Jindalee, 10 May 2018 - 08:14 PM.

#7 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

Strange how that happens Jindalee, I'm lucky I guess !!, with the hill and a bit of incline round the loop I don't know if that makes a difference, would be hard coming down here and having to pull the pin!!

But always good to see other Cool Runers at events, not to many of us left now days.

Eagle usually does it too, not sure if he's a starter this year though!!

#8 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:53 PM

Totally agree! I love meeting cool runners at events. :) I will think about it and might check with my coach to se what she thinks. Havenít been to Melb for a long time!
Yes, itís strange, I tried a lap race twice, first was Anzac Day challenge in 2015 which was supposed to be a 100k Trail Run but severe weather in the lead up forced closures of the park and it was converted to 155 laps of the showground.
Got to 52km and had to pull out as I was not able to even walk any longer and realistically I would not have been able to complete another 50k. And the second one was the CP ultra as mentioned  before.

I probably wouldnít be so hesitant if I wouldnít be in training for a 100km in October and I just donít want to tempt injury. I have unfinished business with the 100k and just want to do it :)

#9 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:07 AM

RobertW

I will certainly be there for the marathon. Absolutely love running in such a historical place and the challenge of many runs up Anderson Hill is a pleasure. The hill has such history with Herb Elliott and Percy Ceruty and others using it for training back in the late 50's early 60's.

#10 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:28 AM

I wrote this on Coolrunning about 13 years ago after some research:

Percy rented a house opposite the Tan (for thoose who know the Tan - you run up Anderson Hill and turn right) about 400 metres on on the raod opposite the Tan is a two story terrace - if you read the last paragraph in 'Why Die' it suggests and image of Percy walking across the road to the Tan and urging his runners on at they were recovering from the Anderson Street hill.

Edited by Eagle, 11 May 2018 - 11:28 AM.

#11 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

Even though its a loop course, running around the Botanic Gardens and past the shrine never gets boring, nice scenery and always plenty of people out walking and running as well which gives it a bit of variety and didn't want to miss the last one.  

Just got my copy of "Why Die" out Eagle and refreshed myself, a great read.

Hopefully you can do it Jindalee you would enjoy it.

#12 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:13 AM

Adelaide done now 4 weeks to get the body read for this, will be my 4th Tan Ultra, 11 times up Anderson Street hill is always a test of the mind, but one of my favourite events and no way I'm going to miss it, as it will probably be the last one as it sounds like the Melbourne City council want to kill it off next year.

#13 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

Very sad if the event does not continue. It is a great area to run around with plenty happening as the morning goes on. It does also have a lot of history as I have already stated. Like Robert I completed the Adelaide marathon on Sunday. But unlike Robert I have a marathon each weekend from now until this one.

You could say the mad marathon journey for 2018 continues.

#14 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:01 AM

I don't know how you do it Eagle. I need a few weeks between drinks to get the body wound up again.

Yes its a shame sounds like someone on the Council seems to think its an inconvenience,  would think that the Sunday brigade walking 6 abreast across the track and not moving for anyone would be more an issue not us runners. We'll have to ask Brett on the day.

#15 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:23 AM

RobertW
Maybe it is I see the sunset of my running closer than the sunrise on it. Gorge while you can and have no regrets when the time comes that I cannot run any longer. :Skull:

#16 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:55 AM

I understand.

#17 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:52 PM

Just over 2 weeks till this one is on, one of my favourites, just thought I would give it a bump.

If you get bored doing loops there's plenty of cafes in Domain road for a coffee stop.

#18 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:28 PM

Yes one of my favourites as well. The laps seem to go by quickly with all the activity happening that is not related tot he runners in the event.

#19 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for bumping this Robert. Dopey me had no idea! I have only run around the Tan a few times mostly 1/2 size for the MM :)
I signed up as soon as I saw this thanks. Even considered my first 50 but settled for the 42. My marathons have been far to few recently with birthdays and similar clashing at the worst times possible. Asked for my monika ND but you know my bald head anyway Sir. Looking forward to another run with you and all.

#20 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:39 PM

No worries ND, I'm sure I'll see you at the start, 11 times up Anderson Street is a good test for the mind.

As Eagle said there's always plenty to look at around the Tan to keep you occupied as well.

#21 Andrew2

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:39 PM

Just had a good look at the website for this event, and it sound like a great event.
If its on next year it might be on my list as my 8th and maybe final marathon.  I find the thought of travelling for an unfamiliar marathon course daunting, but know the Tan and the area, and accommodation options. Its intriguing to think of counting laps rather than ks - I wonder if that helps with pacing and the quest for even pace.  Anderson Street x 11 though.  I reckon I could work out a 3.8 k circuit from home, including an Anderson Street, for training purposes. It may well be hypothetical,  but it seems to have grabbed my attention.
I'll be looking forward to race reports. Good luck to all and enjoy the day.

#22 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:06 PM

Just read the race guide. Not having run a lap course before (Wang and Shep have two I suppose :)  Counting laps should be easy but I assume my brain gets just a touch muddled at some point or distances. Saw they have online status for those who carry phones I guess.

For those who have run this before do they tell you if we should stop :)

#23 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:26 PM

ND, they normally tell you how many laps you have to go each time you go past the start/finish desk, if they don't and your not sure just ask them, I've done it 3 times before and never had an issue. You will find them very helpful.

Plenty of drinks and food as well in this area which they keep topping up.

Won't be a lot doing the marathon so will be easy to catch up before It starts.

#24 olim

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:40 AM

They'll have a monitor up that will display your name and laps done as you pass the gantry.

#25 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:53 AM

olim
How easy is that. I just have to remember to look.

#26 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:05 AM

Must be new Eagle I don't remember that last year, or was it I was just in my own little world of suffering !!!

#27 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:32 AM

RobertW

New to me or like you I did not notice. The elapsed time was shown but anything else - no memory. But I think a new innovation by Brett. In any event I just put my head does for about 4 hours and then surface to find out a long/fat to go.

#28 DESTINATION_43

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:18 PM

Would love to be there as I believe it may be Cheryl S's 200th marathon but my new roster sees me working three weeks out of every four!

Thank christ I booked up numerous 9hr + 18hr annual leave days to give me a reasonable run this year!

#29 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:26 AM

You will be missed. I understand it will be Cheryl's 200th. A fantastic achievement considering the long events she runs. A marathon woud be a sprint event for her as it starts and finishes on the same day.

#30 olim

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:31 AM

View PostEagle, on 13 June 2018 - 11:32 AM, said:

RobertW

New to me or like you I did not notice. The elapsed time was shown but anything else - no memory. But I think a new innovation by Brett. In any event I just put my head does for about 4 hours and then surface to find out a long/fat to go.
I didn't run last year, but I remember it in use in 2016, the monitor was mounted inside the timing tent. Looking at the photos I took from last year, they didn't have a monitor mounted in the timing tent. But, Brett used the system at Coburg 24 hours this year, so it's there - I think it may depend on whether he wants to set it up or not and maybe there's some restrictions on a second timing mat which needs to be laid some 30-50 metres before the finish line due to the display delay. Anyhow - it will either be there or not haha

#31 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:40 PM

olim
I agree it will what it is on the day. Still many laps not matter how they are recorded

#32 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:02 PM

Beanie and gloves for me for the start. Forecast for the start is about 6 degrees. Coldest two days of the year here yesterday and this morning. 2 or 3 degrees when I have been running so the Tan will be almost balmy :)  at about 6! Tapering has me running a little slower made be feel that extra well :Raised Eyebrow:

Forecast is  6-13 partly cloudy with low chance of rain.

Have a great time all.

#33 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:43 PM

Good weather for running ND, I'll be wearing the Adelaide Marathon shirt I picked up in Adelaide and gloves.

With Adelaide only 3 and a bit weeks ago have just stuck to my normal schedule but with no real long runs.

Nice and slow and steady as usual here. I would imagine it will be a small marathon field of around 30 !!

#34 Nob

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:02 PM

Just wondering how they cover the extra distance for the half. Five laps is only 19.135km. Just as long as I don't have to run up Anderson St a sixth time I'd be happy!

#35 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:35 PM

Hi Nob, they usually do an out and back along the Tan, definitely not up Anderson street hill again.

#36 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:11 AM

Weather sounds perfect. I have rested well. Fingers crossed for a good run in both time and just feeling it was good.

#37 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:06 PM

Latest forecast, agree with Eagle sounds perfect for running.

Sunday 24 June

Summary Posted Image Min 7 Max 13 Cloudy. Possible rainfall: 0 to 0.4 mm Chance of any rain: 30% Posted Image
Melbourne area

Cloudy. Slight (30%) chance of a shower. Light winds.

#38 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:44 AM

Race Report under "How Was Your Run Today".

#39 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:19 PM

Started 1 hour early. Thank you Brett. Was very steady all morning and finished a bit quicker than expected in 4.56

#40 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 10:38 AM

Really enjoyed this event. So many legends at one place! I did ask several Spartans for permission to pass! was at 2:30 at 30km mark and looking great till slowing a lot for the run home :)

Post race chat to Eagle about the first time I met the legend in Canberra about 4 years ago.  He mentioned doing that marathon with a issue/item which like most things about the man blows me away. He also mentioned getting from 200 then to about 290 now!

The race to the marathon finish was amazing! 17 seconds between 1st and Second! Those gents gliding past was very cool to see

Justin S result in the 100km was cool running as was Sharron in her 50 post a recent ultra and Cheryl's 200th. Listening at the start to her efforts blew me away. Happily got to chat with  lots including the youngest runner smashing her first out.

http://www.trailsplu...u2018/#0_848E9A

Edited by NavyDiverJB, 02 July 2018 - 10:39 AM.

#41 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:27 PM

On again this year on the 30th June after nearly being finished off last year.

I'll be doing the marathon again anyone else doing it!!

#42 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:19 PM

It is pencilled in with accommodation booked but a number of family events are being talked about on that weekend. None may happen. Watch this space.

#43 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:33 PM

On this Sunday and as usual looking forward to the marathon. Weather early forecast cool with maybe a shower perfect for running laps.

Are you still going Eagle!!

#44 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:13 PM

Robert W

Sorry family commitments have me in Sydney. My daughter who lives near Melbourne is coming to Sydney for one of her rare visits. So ...... Have a great run I regret not running the Tan as it is so iconic and that Anderson Hill has so much history.

#45 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:47 PM

Hi Eagle, no problem enjoy having the family around.

Will be my 5th Tan Ultra and looking forward to it as usual, your right its such an iconic part of Melbourne and I'll keep doing it as long as Brett keeps holding it.