61 replies to this topic

#1 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:21 PM

Wanted to create a thread for these events.
They are 25KM laps through the forest, with about 1,000 ascent & descent ending up at the velodrome each lap.
Should be quite neat for crew with camping &/or gazebos, I think, occuring at the velodrome - do your own research!

I'm considering entering the 50 mile event.

I've just kind of mostly recovered from GCM and done some longish runs this week.
13 pancakey k's on Tue,
20KM of rolling hills at the spit (southport) yesterday - modest elevation
36KM jaunt in the forest today. (1,100m of elevation)

I really need to work on getting up some hills as each lap (25km) has about 1,000 metres of elevation (and descent).
I think I need to run as slow as i can bear, which probably, I haven;t done well in the past.

My other challenge is I run in Vibrams & the surface is very gnarly & my feet got a bit beaten up today.
And that's not even half the intended distance.

It's quite different training at 7 min k's compared to strapping along the pavement at 4.30-4.40's.
I found today it was as much a mental adjustment as anything.

Ate some celery & carrots, which worked quite well.
Used some caffeine strips (Revvies) which went into the mix OK as well.
Drank a diluted tailwind mixture.
I've had stomach issues in the past, & will probably back off the caffeine stuff for training, I just wanted to test it today.

Is there any other CR's entertaining this one?
Regardless, if I get going, I'll post my training here.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Robert W

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:21 PM

Looks brilliant, maybe next year if I can get a leave pass, I hope you have great run.

#3 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:58 PM

Did 38KM through the burbs today, on top of 21km yesterday to bring the week to a  big (for me) 128km, but who's counting?
Gravitated towards hills so incorporated 534m of elevation according to strava.
I ran a bit late today, so it was relatively warm, which was not ideal.
Pace 5.40, HR 136 avg, maybe stil a bit high for me.
Got a pair of Merrells mainly for the rougher surface of Nerang & tested those out today.

Just as a side note, I was jogging around the Main Beach parkrun when that was run yesterday.
At least 4 people beat 16 mins. (Person is 5th place had no barcode, so don;t know time)
This is a pretty traily parkrun as well, with some rolling hills, not the fastest on he planet.
Amazing!

#4 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 02:56 PM

79KM so far this week, wth 16KM tomorrow.
Respectively
Rest
16km
10km
23km
Rest
30km.

First 3 runs had some elevation via some rolling hills.
Todays 30km had 1,050m of elevation. This was in the Nerang State Forest. Haven;t managed to run the exact course yet, but elavation should be pretty close.
Drank 2L of Tailwind mix.  (5scoops which was good)
Whilst it warmed up today, it was relatively cool in the forest as there's some protection.
Saw a kangaroo & some black cockatoos.
Felt a pretty comfortable effort during the run, stomach settled - ran at 6min 40 pace.

Edited by Seano, 18 August 2018 - 02:57 PM.

#5 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

Felt a bit sick this week so only did some very small, low intensity riding of the treddly during the week.
On Friday did a tentative 14KM trail run. (130m)
Then Friday night followed up with 23KM through as many hills in the burbs as I could find. (384m)

This morning did 43 enjoyable k's in the Nerang Forest. (1684m - pace ended up being 6.40)
I planned 40km but how do you stop that close to 42.2? If Pheidippides had that attitude we might all be collecting stamps. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Things that worked well:
Celery & carrots at about a 3:1 ratio every 30 minutes.
One Revvies caffeine strip an hour.
Did the distance pretty well.
Drank 2L of Tailwind with 5 scoops. Probably could be a bit more diluted.
Didn't fall over.

Things to be fixed :
Need to keep food in easier to access compartment. With my pack, I basically need to stop & unpack it where I currently store my food. (This is pretty basic, I know, but I'm a very,very slow learner)
Some chafing starting to occur, albeit it was raining early on.

Pace of loop course is fairly steep & slow early on in the loop, with room for some pace after about the first third, give or take a heart break hill or two..
Saw a few other runners out enjoying themselves in the rain & slosh, as well as a kangaroo who I couldn't tell if he/she was enjoying themselves - they keep a pretty solid poker face.

80KM for week - 368 for August -

Edited by Seano, 26 August 2018 - 11:37 AM.

#6 RunningSurfer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 12:03 AM

View PostSeano, on 26 August 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

Felt a bit sick this week so only did some very small, low intensity riding of the treddly during the week.
On Friday did a tentative 14KM trail run. (130m)
Then Friday night followed up with 23KM through as many hills in the burbs as I could find. (384m)

This morning did 43 enjoyable k's in the Nerang Forest. (1684m - pace ended up being 6.40)
I planned 40km but how do you stop that close to 42.2? If Pheidippides had that attitude we might all be collecting stamps. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Things that worked well:
Celery & carrots at about a 3:1 ratio every 30 minutes.
One Revvies caffeine strip an hour.
Did the distance pretty well.
Drank 2L of Tailwind with 5 scoops. Probably could be a bit more diluted.
Didn't fall over.

Things to be fixed :
Need to keep food in easier to access compartment. With my pack, I basically need to stop & unpack it where I currently store my food. (This is pretty basic, I know, but I'm a very,very slow learner)
Some chafing starting to occur, albeit it was raining early on.

Pace of loop course is fairly steep & slow early on in the loop, with room for some pace after about the first third, give or take a heart break hill or two..
Saw a few other runners out enjoying themselves in the rain & slosh, as well as a kangaroo who I couldn't tell if he/she was enjoying themselves - they keep a pretty solid poker face.

80KM for week - 368 for August -
Watch all that fibre Seano! �

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

#7 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

My week is just about done.
If i do anything tomorrow it will be a short trundle with my son

Mon rest
Tue 16km
Wed 10KM
Thurs  24km
Fri 30
Sat 26

Allup with rounding 105km
Aug 447km which would be a record for me for sure.
Mostly on rolling trails this week rather than proper hills.
Just didn;t seem to get a big block of time to get to the woods.

#8 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 06:01 AM

snuck in an extra lap of the course yesterday.
so an extra 24km (not exactly the course)
869m elevaton, 2h30min. (6.13m/k)

Extra notes about the course.
Heartbreak Hill is not the North Face of the Eiger, nor the bottleneck at K2, but it is a decent climb in a tough but beautiful stretch of the course.

Ran in the middle part of the day (started 2pm) & the tree cover provides excellent cover & keeps the temp down.

I stopped at Anaconda to get a light on the way out there. I noticed the people driving around on the roads and th people in the shop were somewhat happy, but nowhere near as happy as the people I came across in the forest!

#9 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:49 AM

Tapered into a practice race this week.
Ran 52km Glasshouse Trail Event on Sunshine Coast.
Knew it wasn't as hilly as Nerang course, but was surprised by the elevation - strava says 898m.
Each 25km loop of Nerang has about this.
It started at 2PM. I looked at weather prediction which indicated the weather would be steamy and 24 degrees til about 4PM, then the temp would begin to drop.
My plan was to take it very easy for at least 2 hours as I dont tolerate heat well.

Things that worked well :
Watermelon & strawberries at aid stations settled well in my stomach.
Drank 2L of tailwind mixture by about 25KM,
Probably drank around a bit over a litre of water in the back half
Using non caffeine tailwind & revvies allowed me to control the intake of both a bit more diligently. revvies every 50 mins.
After feeling clammy & not that well initially over the first few hours, started running better & better as the afternoon wore on.
I was very lucky to get onto a downhill section of the course before it got dark. This allowed me to really attack the downhills. With my poor night vision & entry level lighting, I couldn't have attacked this secton in the dark.
Collingwood lost so it is pretty unlikely I'll be missing them play a GF on race day now. (Would need to beat GWS, then Richmond)

Things need fixing :
Coke just may not be for me. I started feeling off in the stomach after a coke at 44KM. Maybe coincidence.
Ran out of water in between aid stations. Stupidly, refused water refill at 24km aid station as I mistook the weight of the mandatory gear for water & didn;t check properly. Refilled at about 32KM. So was out of water for maybe 45 mins.
Revvies cardboard packet ripped a hole in the carrier thingy on my camelbak.
Revvies caffeine strips hard to open at times, particularly when fingers were wet/sweaty.
Probably started the race not fully hydrated & was fighting a rearguard acton to keep fluids up from there.
Finished the race quite dehydrated. Need to ensure I don;t run out of water.
Drank water for second half of race as didn;t take more tailwind powder. This was pretty dumb of me.
I shouldn't need it for Nerang, but for an event with more night running, I would like to have a better light. ( I think mine is a Black Diamond Icon, which was about $100 - combined with my night vision, i could easily miss a turn)
Poorly prepared for post race eating. Ate some food at the wonderful kitchen at the school, but could have used some more food for the trip home.
Pre race meal was a bit light on as well. Having dietary requirements, it was not smart to just turn up at cafe across the road from the school.
Wasted a few minutes at aid stations. Dumb things like having my red backlight stashed in my bag in a plastic bag, where it could have started clipped to my pack, so I could just turn it on when needed.
I don't trust some of the Heart rate readings on my Garmin. (35) Many of the readings were crazy high. i dont use a strap - just wrist, which wouldn't help.

Probably ran a bit hard for a "training run" in all honesty.
Finished in about 5.14. My Garmin says I went 53.5KM, although course reportedly 52KM.
Ran out the distance fairly well.

I really like this race. It sems like it may have been elbowed aside by the sexier Blackall 100, but I reckon it's a great event. (I'n clearly biased & nostalgic being my first 100KM attempt, first 100KM fail, & first 100KM finish)
The Beerburrum school is a lovely venue with a great feel offering free camping on the oval.
The course was really well marked.
The people who run it are very caring & diligent.
I got a finishers camphor laurel cheese platter!
Like almost any trail race I've been in, runners are open, caring & friendly.

82KM for week.

#10 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 08:16 AM

Great run report, Seano.

#11 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:15 PM

Thanks AndyP

Mid week running was 10KM, 13Km & 16KM respectively in the
Nerang SF/Spit Trail/ & Nerang SF which was
hilly/flatter/hilly again.

The 16Km I measured in two lots to try & ascertain how hilly the first 8Km of the course is.
I did make a mistake & run of course for a short while, but got a decent reading in any case.
The elevation was 396m in 8.54KM.
That leaves about 500m of elevation to be negotiated over the next 16.5km.
The ratio of ascent to distance I think, is :
1 to 21 & (first 8KM)
1 to 33 respectively. (last 16.5km)

Plan to run 20 & 30Km ideally in the forest this weekend.

#12 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:18 PM

Last proper week of training finished up this morning.
18.5km on rolling trails to complement a 30KM in the forest yesterday.
Run at 5.03 & 6.31 pace respectively.
The 30km had 1017m in elevation as I ran & hiked Heartbreak Hill twice.
Drank 2L with 5 scoops of tailwind on longer run.
Had caffeine every 50 mins.
This seems about right for me for raceday. Maybe I'll dilute the tailwind a bit more.
If anything during the race, I should be slower than training so stomach should hopefully deal with this.
Felt the heat a little bit more than previously yesterday in the forest, but it wasn;t hot.

Saw 4 dogs with 3 separate owners, 2 of whom were off leash. The dogs were extremely well behaved, but I'm near certain they should not be there.

There were stacks of other runners & biking enthusiasts.
88km for week.
Eating everything in sight at the moment.

If there is ever any racing at the very end in the 100KM or 100 mile, it could be VERY interesting.
5 of the lst 7.5Km is on mostly steep & technical downhill.
I had a 4.05 split on the end of the 30Km right at the end, just kind of semi free wheeling for giggles yesterday.
But I was running in daylight & fresh & by myself. The longer races should finish in the dark i think.

#13 pogo69

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:26 PM

View PostSeano, on 16 September 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

Saw 4 dogs with 3 separate owners, 2 of whom were off leash. The dogs were extremely well behaved, but I'm near certain they should not be there.

You are correct.

Dogs are a pretty common occurrence, in there, but they are prohibited just as they are in most National Parks.

The reason appears to be largely historical.  A large part of the Nerang National Park used to be State Forest.  Generally, dogs are permitted - on a leash - in State Forests, and Nerang was no exception.  Now, however, only a very tiny part of the area remains State Forest - a section in the North-East corner that people very rarely traverse.

Most people still refer to all of the area as Nerang State Forest (NSF), but it is now a misnomer.

Most of the dogs I've come across in there have not been on leash; which would have been illegal no matter the designation of the public land.  Many owners may not be aware of the rules, but I suspect that if they did, they would not change their behaviour to suit.

ost people still refer to all of the area as Nerang State Forest (NSF), but it is now a misnomer.It's a toughie.  There are few options for a dog owner to take their pooch for a frolic in the forest.  We're spoilt for local choice with both Daisy Hill and Plunkett, nearby.

#14 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:43 AM

Second last week of training completed.
Feeling pretty sore in the legs, mainly on the outside of my thighs & calves.
I've ramped up & done a far bit of climbing, as well as mileage, & suspect that may be it.
I'm hoping my legs will bounce back this week with a very light week of 8,0,6,0,3 respectively.

Disrupted week this past week as went away on school camp Mon-Wed.
Still managed to get in 62Km.
The main problem with going away on camp was the camp food & lack of sleep.
I found this made a massive difference to how I felt, & feel like I was still recovering & catching up on food & sleep by the weekend.

Whilst my prep is probably a little short, it has backended a very sold marathon prep (albeit a poorly executed GCM race), I've done zero speed work as figured that it was mainly the long slow stuff i needed to complement the earlier marathon training.
I've done stacks of hills which have been my nemesis previously.

Race Plan
3 by 25KM laps plus the little 2.5KM out and back at the end, which is pretty steep.
The course has a lot of climbing on the first half & levels out & has some (potentially) faster sections on the back half.

Weather forecast says
16 degrees at the start,
climbing to 21 degrees at 9 o'clock.
and levelling off at 26 degrees at midday.
Think it will feel a bit cooler in the forest, I hope so, anyway.

I'm pretty mindful of what I read in "Relentless Forward Progress" a quote from someone that said words to the effect of
"I start out with all these goals, A goals, B goals, etc & at some point, my most optimistic goal changes to not vomiting on my own shoes"

If I can do 7 min km's the laps will take 2 hours 55.
Not sure how the temp change will slow me down as it warms up & the race wears on.
Previous splits indictae this has been a factor.

My trainings been quicker than this, but with the extra distance & heat, who knows?
Plan to drink 2L each lap, refilling at velodrome.
Start with 5 scoops, then go to 4 on lap 2&3. (Tailwind)
Food - cliff bars, carrots, celery, watermelon. I think I'll have some avo's & strawberries there as well.
Caffeine every 50 mins.

#15 pogo69

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:11 AM

View PostSeano, on 24 September 2018 - 05:43 AM, said:

Weather forecast says
16 degrees at the start,

I wouldn't bank on it, mate.  Nerang can feel pretty oppressive when it heats up; that 26deg is going to "feel" hotter.  Assuming the race is still the same 25km loop as when I did (the 50km), it is mostly firetrail, with a lot of it quite exposed.

I'm pretty mindful of what I read in "Relentless Forward Progress" a quote from someone that said words to the effect of
"I start out with all these goals, A goals, B goals, etc & at some point, my most optimistic goal changes to not vomiting on my own shoes"

That was me at Hounslow on Saturday!  Had an original time goal that I threw out due to horrendously poor lead-up.  Switched to a goal of "have fun", which really did not happen until about the 2/3 mark when I thought I might have some hope of finishing.

Hope you have fun, though.  It's been good to watch your progress/training.  2 laps was more than enough of Nerang for me.  Hard to believe people have signed up for 200 miles of it.

#16 RunningSurfer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:29 AM

Good luck for this weekend Seano! Looks like you have put in a pretty solid build up so expecting a pretty good result!

#17 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 01:20 PM

View Postpogo69, on 24 September 2018 - 10:11 AM, said:

Weather forecast says
16 degrees at the start,

I wouldn't bank on it, mate.  Nerang can feel pretty oppressive when it heats up; that 26deg is going to "feel" hotter.  Assuming the race is still the same 25km loop as when I did (the 50km), it is mostly firetrail, with a lot of it quite exposed.

That was me at Hounslow on Saturday!  Had an original time goal that I threw out due to horrendously poor lead-up.  Switched to a goal of "have fun", which really did not happen until about the 2/3 mark when I thought I might have some hope of finishing.

Hope you have fun, though.  It's been good to watch your progress/training.  2 laps was more than enough of Nerang for me.  Hard to believe people have signed up for 200 miles of it.
Thanks pogo69.
The loop would very likely be the same firetrail.
The predicted temp is actually 28 as it stands!

Re Hounslow : You have to have at least one race on your history that goes to pot don't you?
Not fun at the time though!

My experience has been the vibe of these things always tends towards fun, no matter how you run, so I'm looking forward to it.

View PostRunningSurfer, on 25 September 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

Good luck for this weekend Seano! Looks like you have put in a pretty solid build up so expecting a pretty good result!

Thanks Running Surfer
Muscles feel a bit tight, so going for a massage this arvo.
Also stopped drinking coffee on Sunday (self experiment ref. no. 23/5A), & starting to feel the effects of that today!
Otherwise a really good buildup  for me, with both lots of mileage & hills which have been my nemesis in the past. (along with drinking, eating, the distance, the heat, poor lifestyle choices, poor mental prep, lack of sleep to name a couple off the top of my head)

#18 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 12:25 PM

http://results.timin...92-e40b7f50afe8

This is a link for the 200 miler tracking which started yesterday morning at 6am.
The women seem to be taking it right up to the men.
I'd imagine it starts getting really interesting from here on...

#19 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:44 AM

If you see my old mate Richard McCormick (RMC) out there in the 100 miler say hello Seano.

#20 RunningSurfer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 04:08 PM

Not sure what it's like at Nerang but I'm an hour south and we have hail - stay safe out there

#21 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:52 AM

View PostRobert W, on 29 September 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

If you see my old mate Richard McCormick (RMC) out there in the 100 miler say hello Seano.
Looks lik he went really well, 2nd i think.
Whilst we started ith the 100 milers, their pace was more sensible than me & some of the 100km participants.

View PostRunningSurfer, on 29 September 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

Not sure what it's like at Nerang but I'm an hour south and we have hail - stay safe out there

Maybe a bit lucky with the weather.
There were ominous rumblings & thunder when I was finishing up sat arvo.

#22 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:18 AM

Your right Seano he came 2nd it will be his best ever result. He'll be a sore but happy man today.

How did you go!!

#23 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:27 AM

Race report
Got up at 3am to have oats & a couple of coffees after a no caffeine week & feeling scratchy.
Had the desired effect (multiple times)

50mile 100km and 100 miler started at the same time – 6am.
Started running at a steady pace & settled for a serious of steady hills that start the course.
Saw a Sri Lankan runner heading off with beautiful form over the horizon early.
Tried to settle on a comfortable pace for the first half of the course which is pretty uphilly.

The course is 3 25km laps for 50 miler.
There is also a little out and back within the loop, which enables you to see the runners in front & behind you as you pass them.
Then there’s an out and back at the end of a bit over 5KM.

About halfway through the first lap, the course flattens out to an extent, with some downhills.
I’d trained & practiced running downhills aggressively.
Most of the people around me were jogging the uphills & jogging the downhills setting a more even pace.
I kept doing my own thing which was walking uphills, & taking downhills pretty quickly.
The surface was rocky, quite loose in spots & what I’d call technical.

I got to the 21KM aid station, as was low on water, so refilled. (2L capacity drained – 5 scoops Tailwind)
It seemed to take me ages, as Ive got a Camelbak which I do like, but pretty cumbersome to refill, and add tailwind by myself.
Also managed to break the seal of the bladder at this stage, but luckily no leak.
It seemed to take ages for me to get this done.

So, anyway, as I got back to the first turnaround, the Sri lankan runner (Sanath, I think) passed me. He was running back up the hill & looked really strong.
I noted he had only a handheld bottle, which I was envious of as would be much quicker to fill.
We both smiled at each other & kept plodding.
Reached the turnaround in 2.46

Got in and out in about 40 seconds, as all I needed to do was empty out rubbish, grab more celery & carrots, & another clif bar.

Second loop felt pretty good. Plan was to try to hold back on first half of loop & get to at least 40KM before pushing it. I felt I could run the last 40KM fairly hard, as this would encompass more flatter & downhill of course.
Got through the Heartbreak Hill section of the course still feeling pretty fine. (roughly 35km)
Started to feel day heating up though as it got towards 10-11am.
Ran the downhills hard again, Sanath might have been about 7-8mins ahead of me on out and back at  about 40km.
Ran pretty solidly
Refilled my water at 41km & ran the largely downhill fairly hard to the 50km turnaround.
As I approached the velodrome turnaround I noticed with surprise that Sanath was just ahead of me & he was walking the downhill.
By the time we reached 50km turnaround, I’d caught him.
Because he was so much quicker in transition filling his water, he was out of sight by the time I left.
I wasn’t too worried though, as I thought if I could stay anywhere near him in the first half of the (25km) course, the second half downhills were my strength.
In at the 50km mark at 5.38 with a 2.52 lap

So, headed out for lap 3.
I didn’t put the lid on properly on my Camelbak in my haste, so electrolyte mixture spilled all over my running shorts.
It was quite hot by now, so not uncomfortable, but of course there was a price to pay for this, which is still being paid as I write this today!

This time up the hills & Heartbreak Hill was different.
It was pretty taxing & I was relieved it was my last lap & recall thinking I don’t envy the 100Km runners, many of whom I’d been running with early, having to do this 4 times instead of 3.
Got to the end of the big climbs at around 60km and was starting to feel it.
It was getting already petty warm by this stage, maybe 28 degrees, but there was a nice breeze at times.
Started getting pretty sharp pains in my right knee & outside of my thigh as well, which concerned me, as it was hard to run the downhills as hard as I would have liked. I’d ben hydrating & eating reasonably well, but I started getting a bit loose with this as well.
I’d mucked up the electrolyte mix & my drink was far too weak, which may have contributed to feeling bloated.

At around 62km, I think, I came across some energised milers who were very chatty.
At one stage they said you must be leading this. (50 miler)
I said, no I don’t think so, there is a Sri Lankan guy in front.
They said, “Oh, yeah, we say him , I think he’s a bit far in front”
Anyway, wished them well & kept plodding.
I got to the out & back, where I was looking to find out how far Sanath was ahead of me.
This is mostly downhill, & I ran it as hard as I could.
The further I got without seeing him coming towards me, the more I started thinking, Gee I must be close.  Then all of a sudden I got to the turnaround point & hadn’t seen him.
I thought, Crikey, he must have gotten a massive lead, he must be flogging it to get down & back & out on the loop before I arrived, so I just settled in to finish off the race content with second & to make sure I defended against third, but manly to finish as strongly as I could.

As I got nearly back up o the top of the loop, & about to return to the main circular trail, sanath was coming toward me.
That is, he was behind me
I stopped & talked to him to make sure he was OK & find out what had happened.
He indicated he had left the path to have “4 unscheduled stops”, so I must have passed him while he was indisposed.
It was pretty hot.
He indicated he was good & we sent each other on our way.
I realised I must have been at least 20 mins in from at this stage, & just had to keep going.

But it started getting harder.
The pain in knees & thigh seemed to fade a bit, but was replaced with stomach soreness (hello my old friend), & lack of energy to run the flats. My pace was dropping consistently.
My feet were skimming rocks every so often, which I thought was probably low electrolytes, but I was finding it hard to drink.
Anyway, I just set myself up to do the rest in small increments.
I knew once I got to 71km, then ¾ of the course was downhill.
So, I slowly made my way to 71KM, rinsed off a bit, & set myself to keep moving & run as much as I could.
I had a couple of near misses with falls, which was good as it helped me really focus on protecting myself.
Got into the velodrome at 75km in 8.59, with a 3.22 lap.

I had to , just had to go to the WC at this stage, so ran across to the toilet to use the facilities.
Upon return, I grabbed a half coke half water (thanks CR thread from ages ago for advising correct mix for this) & started hiking out of the velodrome.
( I spent 5 min 5 sec in transition which I thought was pretty handy given the walk to the WC!)

Before I left, my son, who has a parkrun PB of 21 mins asked me how long to do the last 5km.
He suggested 40 mins, I said mmn, maybe.
How can it take so long?
Ahh.. its hilly…

Anyway, walked up the slope.
Saw Sanath for the second last time when I was maybe 1km roughly into loop.
He gave me a high 5 & a big smile & nearly knocked me over.
His arms were still strong, even if his gut was jelly!

Of the last 5km, most of the first half is climbing.
I bumped into the grinning milers from before & they stopped me & we had a chat.
They seemed more excited than me that I was in front.
Was pretty aware that it would be quite possible for me to face plant in the last bit.

Anyway, eventually reached the turnaround.
On the way back, tried to run as much as I could , but stomach really slowing me down.
Another high 5 from Sanath as he was setting out for last bit for him
Eventually got back to finish, with lovely warm welcome.
Last split was 54 minutes, but garmin measured it as 5.5km I think.
I stopped running but the hurt didn’t go for some time after.

Sat around for as long as I could watching the legends doing the miler & 100km go round.
Watched the last quarter of AFL GF at food truck , then sat around for a bit longer.

I’d originally planned to camp & be part of things for a bit longer, but I was feeling really sore & sorry, & wanted to be able to access my stuff at home to settle my stomach.
So went home to eat & rest & follow other runners online.

#24 Reddog

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:56 AM

^ Congrats Seano great report

#25 RunningSurfer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:09 AM

Congratulations Seano!

Sounds like you had a pretty good day all things considered. Great report.

#26 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 05:24 PM

Great stuff, Seano.

#27 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:14 PM

Well done Seano great job,

#28 JXT

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:27 PM

Wow! Nice work Seano!

#29 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:40 AM

just got an email advising that next year they will have a 500km option!
18KM of ascent & descent!
20 laps if you don't mind, wiith a 144 hour cutoff.

#30 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:47 AM

Who the hell is doing that?

#31 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:16 AM

...oh and they've shelved the 50 mile event.
So as the reigning champion, I guess remaining champion forever now pretty much makes me a god.
See you in Asgard, groovers.

View PostAndyP, on 29 November 2018 - 02:47 AM, said:

Who the hell is doing that?
Come on!

Fun Run!

Who hasn't done 20 laps?
As the email says "generous cutoffs"

#32 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:46 PM

Assuming i may be the only one to be devastated by the news that the (just announced) Flaming Lips Brisbane show will clash with this event!

#33 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:46 AM

I just wanted to acknowledge the passing of Ian Cornelius.

I didn't know him super well, but am grateful for him organising races in Nerang, which had kicked me off in trail running effectively.
Competing in his events there, opened me up to my local forest, which it hadn't occurred to me to go to, & sparked a love for running in it.

Ian was the director of the Nerang Ultra, now Ultra trail Gold Coast

#34 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:34 AM

There is a tribute run from the nerang velodrome on aug 25 to pay respect to the passing of Ian Cornelius. (race director)
I think it starts at 6.30 & people are encouraged to wear an item from one of Ians events.

The details are on facebook, even if you don;t use, you can find out detail there.

#35 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:13 PM

Because i can't seem to get it together to post every run, I'm going to post my training here. probably weekly.

Got stitches out of my knee Friday arvo.
I had a fall Sunday week ago,

So a bit of cramming this weekend.
I have an entry for the 100km.
Originally my goal was to race the course record, but realistically now just having a solid, incident free run would be a more reasonable expectation.
Last year I trained pretty well & really started slowing at around 65km approx.

Ran 30 fairly flat k's Friday night.
Didn't feel too hard, but felt it in my legs.
I think i notice running on the flat a fair bit now, & am not really conditioned to it.

Sat arvo ran (moved) in the nerang state forest for about 29km.
Started late arvo & ran into the evening.
Actually ran into another runner in there after dark.
Really slow going but got through stacks of hiking & slower down hills.
Legs were very sore at start but loosened up as it went it, a little bit.

Sunday saw me join a mate for a 20km pretty slow amble, again on the flat.
This was a fair bit below my cruising pace with a fair few stops for this and that.
Actually legs felt a lot better at the end than the beginning.

So, really there's only about a months worth of training i can get through, but had a decent build up in mileage in the first half of the year, so hopefully it's a matter of just getting the climbing in.

Any CR's in for a longer distance?
20 laps anyone? (500km)

#36 ben_guts

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:15 PM

I'm not in for any events at this (family + work) but I hope they keep the long events as an option in the years to come even if no-one signs up to them - I'd love to tackle the 500km one day but it isn't in the next 12 months thats for sure.

#37 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:32 AM

I know one person that is doing the 500k. He did 120k or something on Saturday for training.

#38 Stej

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:59 PM

View PostAndyP, on 19 August 2019 - 06:32 AM, said:

I know one person that is doing the 500k. He did 120k or something on Saturday for training.

500k!  How long is that expected to take?

#39 AndyP

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:46 PM

View PostStej, on 19 August 2019 - 12:59 PM, said:

The idea of doing it is too much for me to grasp, without considering the actual length of time. I would assume that there would have to be a couple of sleeps in there.

#40 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

View PostAndyP, on 19 August 2019 - 07:46 PM, said:

The idea of doing it is too much for me to grasp, without considering the actual length of time. I would assume that there would have to be a couple of sleeps in there.
I've been training for the 100km event.
My training pace which will be close to race pace, is roughly 8km/hr at the location.
That's jogging flats & downhill, & hiking uphill.

That pace would be pretty quick for anyone for 500km I would have thought, in there.
Last year the quickies were in around 66 hours for the 320km,which is under 5km/hr.
So, 500km, maybe 100 hours minimum, plus the extra sleeping time.
There's a fair bit of elevation, nearly 20km all up. (Everest is about 5km from base camp to summit although climbers must go up & down it a fair bit to acclimatize).)
I think I read that first & second didn't sleep much, if at all last year.

So, if i was to do a 120km training run at 8km/hr, it would take me 15 hours. For that distance in there, though, I reckon I'd be slower.

#41 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:31 PM

First full week of running since falling & carving up knee a few weeks ago.
Ran 94km for the week.

Tue   Nerang      17km
Wed  Pavement 13km
Thur  Nerang     18km

Sat  Nerang      28km
Sun Nerang      17km

I'm running pretty slowly, about 8km/hr, & keeping Hr low.
I'm hoping this lower intensity training will allow me to run out the distance better this year.
Finding it time consuming doing these distances at this pace.

Body OK, but feeling really tight.
Have a dose of what I am assuming is plantar fascietc in my left foot.

I'm lucky to be able to physically & economically take the time to run like this & after a couple of extended layoffs, & don't take it for granted.
She's a tough mistress, for sure Nerang, & has beaten up better than me, I'm sure. But I love the rugged appeal.

Two big weeks coming up...

#42 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 05:41 AM

Big week this week!

Tue   19
Wed 10
Thur  17
Fri     21
Sat   40

rest days monday & sunday, which is unconventional & not really planned. the 21 & the 40 just had to fit where I could.

All runs except wed 10k were in the forest.

have been seeing a few more people in the forest as it warms up.

I hope they have a good turnout for the race. It doesn't seem to be getting the promotion it has in the past, likely due to the recent passing of Ian Cornelius, the director.

All runs were relatively easy until the 40KM, which despite being done at a sedate pace, I could feel it a bit, & caught myself wondering how i'm going to do 100 in one hit.

#43 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:22 PM

got my midweek running done for the week
all in the nerang SF

Tue   23km
wed  13km
thurs 17km.

As far as I can recall, I saw no one this morning at all.
The 23km run took forever, as i'm only running just over 8km /hr. So, with a drive there & back, it's a stack of time needed to get this done before work.

Conditions are getting very fire hazardy & warming up.

My mileage starts dropping quickly after this week, & after having 10 days off through tearing my knee open, it feels like this block has finished very quickly.
My knee is still healing up a bit, but was lucky to just have a scar to show for it.

#44 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 06 September 2019 - 01:27 PM

Best wishes, looking forward to your race report

#45 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:25 PM

Felt a bit off Saturday, so after a rest Friday, ran a long run today. No B2B.

Didn't feel great at the start, with HR a fair bit higher than it normally would be.
Started late at 8am & it heated up as i got going.
There was a pretty strong wind though, & this kept things cool. (Bad for ongoing fire situation in Hinterland unfortunately)

Ran & hiked the race loop & then some extra to bring it up to 40km.
Drank close enough to 3.5L.
That was all I could drink & barely enough - mild headache at the end.

Saw some firies dealing with a huge tree that had burnt around the bottom. It was amazing it was still standing with less than half of the trunk intact.
Stopped & talked for a bit to them.

All up 92km for the week.
All in the forest with plenty of elevation.
Mileage will start dropping now as 3 weeks til race day.

#46 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:12 PM

Mid week running done.

Tue & Thur 17km in the forest.
13km on the flat on Wed. (Recovery)
Ran the Thur loop clockwise because even I'm getting a bit over the same route.

saw a wallaby, some cockatoos today.
Excellent time of year- 5.26am start today & no light needed.

Got a half decent bout of plantar fasciitis in my left foot, I think.
Have had some pins stuck in it yesterday.
it is manageable for now.

#47 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:30 PM

weekend running
sat went to parkrun at main beach.
went out with no real plan & ran splits of 5.00/4.40/4.20/4.20/4.00.
then ran a lazy 3km warm down.

then did last long run today.
32km in the forest.
Ended up running with one of the 500km competitors for while.
She was explaining if you keep your sleeping to less than 90 minute blocks then the soreness doesn't set in too badly.

92km for the week.

It is very dusty out there, & would love some rain in the next fortnight, but not holding my breath.

Edited by Seano, 15 September 2019 - 02:31 PM.

#48 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:12 PM

Mid week running done.
Tue 13K
Wed 8K
Thur 13.5k

all in forest.

Found Wed run the hardest as per usual recently.
This is mostly a recovery trot, but seem to battle through it, then wake up next day feeling good.
Bit of rain has settled down all the dust.

5 sleeps til the 500km event starts...

#49 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:30 AM

17km yesterday arvie on the forest & 10km on the flat today.
There had been some rain in the forest yesterday, so dustiness is disappearing.
Big lizard on the middle of the track, very well camouflaged & not moving.
Sat was very hot & humid. Hoping for race day to be a bit milder.

62km for the week.

Only 8/6 & 3km runs to go.

Not feeling altogether 100% - just a bit off color currently.
Hopefully bounce back with some rest.

#50 DESTINATION_43

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:45 PM

View PostAndyP, on 19 August 2019 - 06:32 AM, said:

About 100 parkruns timewise, if you go out at an even pace > but don't forget your barcode!