PORTLAND 3 BAYS Sunday 4th NovemberTrail & Road ---- 60km to Quarter Marathon ---- Run or Walk

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:15 AM

Was a DNS at Portland last year as my dads 80th Birthday got in the way. Not missing Portland this year. Melbourne Marathon is a training Run for this beautiful run with the bonus of teams of cheerful younger people to race or chat with.

4th of November for most with an 60km trail 3 November.

Even a 102km beast  'The Hybrid Fool' 3 &4  November. (my legs shudder at the thought )

https://www.portland...ersclub.com.au/

Posted Image

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Cobalt

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:00 PM

Registered last night for the road marathon on the Sunday.

#3 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:59 PM

Confirmed and Registered and ready for my fourth 3 bays run. Been training well with a long run in Melb Marathon last Sunday :) . Ready to have another go at the Snuffler. Its a steep long hill and Snuffles out all hope! It is the start point of the 1/2 marathon I think. They start half way up as well. Nice bit is if I can get to them as they start. done that twice- the head wind killed me in 2016 and I missed their start.

Plan to beat my 3:36 3 bays PB from 2015. Bonus if I can go sub 3.26 I think I can, I think I can.......... repeat ad nauseam :)

Hope the relay crews carry me home with their cool running enthusiasm. Have fun everyone running

#4 Cobalt

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:47 AM

How hard are those two hills. I'm aiming for 4 to 4:30. Many people walk up? He much time do you low compared to a flat course?

#5 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 05:54 PM

View PostCobalt, on 27 October 2018 - 12:47 AM, said:

How hard are those two hills. I'm aiming for 4 to 4:30. Many people walk up? He much time do you low compared to a flat course?

Hills are possibly 10 minutes on time for a flat course. I jog up myself not so fast of course. I live a very hilly area and try not to stop.

That said some gazelles make them look flat here or there.

Its a really cool run - I am sure you will enjoy it. Say hi. My follicly challenged head make me stand out some times :)

Have a great run.

I am feeling fresh and ready just missing a long run post Melbourne with only a 20 last weekend

Edited by NavyDiverJB, 28 October 2018 - 05:56 PM.

#6 Cobalt

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:30 PM

Ended up with 4:17. Happy with that, taking 8 mins off my Adelaide time. 4hrs would have been nice but I knew wasn't realistic.

#7 Robert W

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:35 AM

Well done Cobalt, did you enjoy the scenery in the 1st half!!

#8 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:12 AM

Eight minutes off with the hills is outstanding Cobolt. Well done. Loved the run. Chatting with loads of cool runners, Dad from Mount Gambier and Daughter from Adelaide, A Diamond creek runner who qualified for Comrades (South Africa) at Melbourne, Leon Davis (Collingwood football legend ) ran the first 5km which was cool. He was in a relay his wife forced him into supporting an anti Smoking campaign- Don't pollute my Air :)

It was blowing a gale on Saturday which made me a bit nervous. Sunday was a low wind and perfect day for a run. My first half was good so I beat the start of the 1/2 marathon going up the Shuffler by a minute or two. They very kindly gave me a big cheer. I yelled back 'I bet I would see some of them before the top of the Shuffler'. I was right.  Kept at just under 5min pace with one or two hill exceptions till about 30km then 5:30 mostly to 6+ on any hills after that. Passed several of the 12 6am start walkers one of whom was a 80ish Pink Flash of hair cool lady whom I walk with for about 30 seconds 5km before the end. A very cool strider came past me with about 7km to go when I saw ULTRA on in shirt! I chatted as he was one of the ubber cool Hybrid Fools who had run the Ultra on the Saturday IN THAT WIND!!!!
At least 2 more ubber cool Hybrid Fools got to me just at the end as did Mr Davis relay crew all running in together. I found my legs again and picked up the pace with 2km to go but chose to stay just behind those legends.

As usual the kids doing the relays had me in stitches.   One was  passing me with his bus load beside us at about 35km mark. I tagged behind him then offered to race up the hill to much mirth on the bus as he smashed me of course.

I came in in 3:42:28 just 6 minutes slower than Melbourne. Happy with that as I feel the hills are worth at least 10 minutes. Booking a  flat one in a few weeks to end my year off.
Full results list here
The Scenery for the first half with bay views, Cave and those rolling green hills is fantastic Robert as is Portland Bay for the run the to the finish and for also very useful for cooling my legs of post race. :)

Drive home was another highlight. Won't bore you with that.

Edited by NavyDiverJB, 05 November 2018 - 01:01 PM.

#9 Cobalt

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:40 AM

Well done NavyDiverJB.  Was near perfect conditions as the roadside vegetation provided great protection on the way out then a nice tail breeze for the way home.  The shuffler was different to what I expected.  Shorter but steeper.  Made it about 3/4's but HR was heading to red zone so decided to just walk up the rest.  Was a nice scenic course and a great atmosphere with all the school groups, walkers and HM runners mixing in around the course.  Well worth a look for those looking to get out and do something a bit different.

#10 Shahanga

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:05 PM

Hey NavyDiverJB that was me who was talking to you from Diamo last year.
I read about your accident on the MM thread, terrible. Hope your recovery is progressing, I guess it can’t be rushed. Any chance of Portland this year? Id like to go but it depends on family commitments.

#11 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:55 PM

View PostShahanga, on 24 September 2019 - 10:05 PM, said:

Hey NavyDiverJB that was me who was talking to you from Diamo last year.
I read about your accident on the MM thread, terrible. Hope your recovery is progressing, I guess it can’t be rushed. Any chance of Portland this year? Id like to go but it depends on family commitments.

I was hoping to but broke a screw- hopped back onto crutches after clapping like a nutter in Melbourne :) I am now a failed Iron Man. The screw (1 of 4) is in my tibia through a cool rod inside my tibia. Still impressed I managed to brake metal rather than the bone :) Electric screw driver being discussed with a surgeon tomorrow. Running might be a few months away again with 2 or 3 minor grease and oil changes needed still.

Hope everyone has a ball in Portland. I for one will miss having the cool running relay kids and adults being asked to race me, usually beating me towards the last 1/2 but it does help me pick up the pace with a smile or two..