12 replies to this topic

#1 claudicles

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:38 AM

It might seem early to start talking about this but entries opened about a week ago. I have signed up as my first ever marathon, having run the HM for the last three years. I have a trainer from my gym guiding me through building my base and doing some speed work at the moment. Now to work on staving off injury...

Liz

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Phanta

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:19 AM

Awesome Liz - congrats on stepping up to your first marathon! I ran this for the first time in 2018 - found the course to be a bit tougher than I expected with some consistent undulations all day long, but the weather wasn't brilliant on the day so I'm sure that didn't help either! I'm thinking about coming back in 2019 and trying to improve my time - should be a faster course than I finished it.

Make sure you include some hill training through your program - that will help keep you strong through the day. Enjoy the build up!

#3 JXT

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:27 PM

Good luck Liz.

This is always on my radar as a back up for Boston. Iíve entered Boston for the third time (have yet to run it due to injury the last two years) but Canberra is the back up if work or life gets in the way and I canít make it to the US. Either way, hopefully I wonít be injured next April.

#4 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:29 PM

I did this as my first (and only) Marathon in 2015 and loved it - loved the course and conditions. The second half was hillier than the first, but I believe the course has changed since. I'm very jealous of you as I had planned to make my Marathon return at this event in 2019 but it's not to happen. I want to tick of a 10K goal first before I return to the Marathon and that didn't happen this year. All the best with the training and keep posting. Love to read how others are doing in their training

#5 Andrew2

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:26 PM

I also ran Canberra in 2015, was caught out by serious hills after 30k, ran my slowest of 7.   On the other hand, it was my only away from home marathon, and that played a part with sleep and food less than ideal.   So now my memory is of not having planned it properly.  The course has changed, I  think a good bit flatter.
My advice - pick your hotel carefully for local food options and travel early on race day.  Its an interesting city, but parts are bleak outside office hours.  
I reckon if I went back I'd have a much better time of it. No complaints at all about the event and organisation.
My other piece of advice - take an expendable T shirt for the start area.  Very chilly early on.
Good luck. Have a great time!

#6 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:05 PM

Yes the course has changes since 2015 and is a little flatter (perhaps) and the long hill after 30k on the old course has gone. I expect to be back for my 20th. First of all the marathons I have run to reach 20 for the event.

#7 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:20 AM

I too will be back - I love Canberra and the cooler Marathon is great after all the training through the humidity - generally do a decent time.

#8 claudicles

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:46 AM

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I live in a hilly area so when I ran the half first time I thought of it as flat. It was only walking back to the hotel overhearing someone complain about the hills that I  even thought about it. I am running a fairly flat short loop at the moment as my trainer has me doing some speed work before I build a lot of distance. Focusing on strength and flexibility too as I have had lots of overuse injuries in the past and this seems to stave them off. I am slow so I will be happy with anything under 5 hours, although the plan I am following outs me on track for 4.20. Who am I kidding? I will be ecstatic to finish!

Liz

#9 claudicles

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:07 AM

So I ran my first marathon yesterday - and my last if I listened to myself coming across the line :Confused: . 5:28:50. I am slow (doh!) so I struggled to have time to get in decent midweek runs which made my long runs feel like more effort than they probably should have. I am so glad I did it though. Smarter training and I am sure I can better it..... maybe not for a while though :Tounge:

#10 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:24 PM

^^^That's fantastic! Well done to you!!! Doesn't matter how fast or slow, you ran your first marathon! Now you know more about what its about, if you chose to do another, which I hope you will. [hey, so many say, in the final ks of a marathon, that they will never do that again......]that you can put into practice what you have learnt and soon you will be another tragic marathon addict! Nice addiction to have though!!

#11 claudicles

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:56 PM

Thanks SkyChariot. I have started to think about how to rearrange my training week to fit in more midweek distance so I guess I am hooked!

#12 RunningRagged

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:48 PM

Well done all! Managed 1:54 for the half, was with the 2 hour pacers till a bit over half way. However it seems they'd banked a few minutes! Wasn't sure how I'd finish
after having calf/achilles issues for a while, but felt good over the last 7km and probably finished better than any other half I've done (think this was number 12).

Some sections along Commonwealth Bridge and the north side of the bridge were very narrow/congested so hopefully this will improve in the future.

Finish area was super, egg and bacon roll at the finish was the best I've tasted for a long time!

#13 Phanta

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:09 PM

Congrats on completing your first Liz - that's fantastic!

And RR - I missed the egg and bacon rolls at the finish! Would have loved one but made do with a banana.

Tough run for me - was worried I was fit but not conditioned going into the race and that proved to be the case. Hamstrings were in trouble from about 18k and was a world of hurt from 23k onwards. Back half was a shuffle/walk combination - some serious mental battles along the parkway and back over Commonwealth Bridge. Finished in 4 hours flat (well, 9 seconds the wrong side of 4 hours flat) - good learning for training for the next one.