#1 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:00 AM

New year, new goal!

Iím going to have a go at this in April at Ross.

My plan is run Cadbury 1/2 in mid Jan, take a week to let everything settle back into place and then start a 10 week build up and 2 week taper to hit Ross fit and ready for <5:00 pace for 42.2km!

Iíll be focusing on a weekly program that looks like this:
- Monday 30 minute recovery jog.
- Tuesday morning speed work.  These will be longer intervals done at goal 5km pace for 1km repeats and goal 10km pace for 2km repeats.
- Wednesday evening mid week long run.  Iíll be aiming to keep this at 21km each week.
- Thursday easy 30-60 minutes.
- Friday social 5-10km very easy jog with a mate.
- Saturday optional tempo run using Park Run for the fast bit.  If not Iíll just jog 30-60 minutes.
- Sunday long run.  Iíll hit 6 runs of 30kms or more.  It worked for me last year so Iíll try the same again.  Iíll cut the long run back to 21km every third week to give me a break.

This lets me run every day, which I enjoy.  It also allows me three focused sessions (intervals and two long runs) with an option of throwing a twenty minute tempo run in.

Iím expecting to run 80-100km / week off that so my build up and taper should be ~ 1,000km.  That feels like a nice solid number.

For cross training Iíll be looking to throw a weekly swim in and daily pushups and maybe sit-ups for a bit of strength.

Iím planning on leaving grog alone for most of the build up but I wonít be banning it 100%.  Thereís a friends wedding to attend in March and a week in Bali at the start of my taper to enjoy!  Hopefully between this and a good diet Iíll get myself down into the 85-86kgs range.

If I can go under 3 1/2 hours thatíll be an improvement from my current PB of a bit over 10 minutes.  

Anyone else up for signing on for this goal for 2019?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 dadagain

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:18 AM

Looks like a busy plan to me - no rest day means tough to get sufficient recovery as the mileage builds? But perhaps thatís just me?

I wonít run any more than 5 days a week and desperately need those 2 rest days to avoid body falling apart. Sleep will also need to be prioritised and with early starts to get the coolest part of the day that means putting myself to bed at a sensible time and NOT getting distracted by TV!

I hope to get a bit more disciplined with strength training and perhaps cut down on the drinking and tidy up nutrition a bit.

Iím hoping to find some kind of form again before April and go <3:30 in Boston - but I know I wonít get anywhere close to my 3:18PB in the ~100 days I have to try to pull it all together.

Edited by dadagain, 01 January 2019 - 08:18 AM.

#3 DoggieDoctor

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:18 AM

I&rsquo;ll join you with the sub 3:30 goal. Unfortunately work prevents me running more than 4 days per week. My plan is very similar to yours without the light jogs. My last attempt at sub 3:30 gave me 3:33 and years later, I wasn&rsquo;t even going to try. However a friends sister, who I thought was a casual jogger, managed just over 3:00. Now I must get at least sub 3:30. Most important for me is getting my weight down. My goal wt is 66kg. With some good training and maybe getting back to yoga, and wt loss, I am hoping to do it this year.

#4 Merciless

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:57 AM

Good luck darg75!

One comment I had on your plan, was the Wed semi long run the day after the Tues intervals session. It might be worthwhile to consider doing the semi long run on Thursday, so allow some recovery time after the Tues intervals session.

#5 dadagain

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:05 PM

View PostMerciless, on 03 January 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

One comment I had on your plan, was the Wed semi long run the day after the Tues intervals session...
That's pretty much what my plan looked like in 2017 which got me from a 3:38PB (Chicago 2016) to 3:18 (Melbourne 2017). It went like this:

Mon: rest
Tue: Morning intervals (1km warm up, ~8km of reps between 400 and 2km, mainly at the longer end of the spectrum, 1km cool down)
Wed: Semi-long with occasional tempo sections 16-24km with 5-10km at just below target race pace
Thu: 10-12km recovery jog... very slow
Fri: rest
Sat: Long run 20-37km
Sun: 12km recovery jog.

I kept that pattern up in the build up to London in April '17 (3:36), Gold Coast July '17 (3:27), Melbourne Oct '17 (3:18). After GC I also started adding in a 20 minutes strength workout 3 times a week in the evenings to try to work on glutes and core and REALLY concentrated on getting enough sleep. This seemed ok until about 3 weeks before Melbourne when I started to get a slight Hamstring tendinopathy niggle. It turned out not to effect my race - but I was in some considerable discomfort driving and worried that something was going to break on me in the heat of battle on race day..... It never did and the injury went away post race only to rear its head again more persistently this year after Gold Coast.

What I didnt do particularly well was control my nutrition - I still had far too much of a McDiet, so could probably have gotten myself in even better condition.

#6 dantan

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:21 PM

Sounds like a very sound training plan.

All the Best!

#7 DrinksRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:08 PM

I would add in some Hill work. Maybe make some of your long runs including rolling hills.
Just due to the nature of the course if you are strong up and down the hill then that should make it easier, especially in the later stages.

#8 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:02 PM

Looks good.
Tue-Wed has been mentioned, although it's Tue morning reps and Wed evening med-long run. so getting close to 2 days between hard sessions.
I'd look closer at tempo Sat long run Sun as that's two hard sessions back-to-back but it's the weekend so more time to attend to recovery so that's why it's traditional.
No rest days but some easy runs which could be swapped out for rest or active recovery (swim, cycle, walk, core work).
Maybe a hills session every 2 weeks in one of Thu-Sat.

#9 JXT

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:22 PM

Darg - very solid goal and plan. And plenty of good advice here, too. My two cents is that the mid-week semi long run is gold. On lower-mileage plans Iíve run 21-24km on Wednesday and up to 32km on higher-mileage plans.
As for rest days, I have always taken at least one day off from running. For my most recent plan, I didnít run on Mondays but would skip for 60-80 minutes. The skipping really helped with core strength and gave the legs a different stimulus. Not trying to sell you on skipping but cross training keeps mind and body fresh.
Good luck.

#10 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:19 PM

Allllllright.  Marathon time!

13 weeks out from Ross Marathon today.

Iíve planned 73km for the week ahead with the key sessions being an intervals session Tuesday, some hills on Thursday (prep for Hobart Bridge Run in mid Feb) and a long run for Saturday of 21-25km.  The remainder will be easy paced stuff.

Iím tipping the scales at 90.6kgs right now.  Ive been in a good paddock (or maybe a brewery...) since September.  Ideally Iíll be at about 86kgs by the time Ross rolls around.  Might be a stretch but weíll see.

Goal will be to break 3:30 so just under 5:00 pace.

Looking forward to week 1.

#11 Simlin

Reports of my demise are Fake News.

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:05 PM

Definitely in for a sub 3:30...August 11.
That plan looks way more hardcore than what i was planning...

Monday - Easy 10-12k
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - intervals/hill repeats
Thursday Rest
Friday - tempo run
Saturday - Race Pace or easy run
Sunday - long run.

Starting out at 60k a week building up to about 80k at peak training load.
Cross training includes ~150k of commuter cycling Monday-Friday
Previous PB of 4hr18 - 9 years and 25kg heavier ago. Currently sitting around 100kg, but if I can be motivated to eat better would love to get that down to 94kg.

#12 DrinksRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:57 AM

Scratch what I said about the hills.
Apparently the course has changed for Ross this year so it will be flatter.
Should make it a bit easier for sub 3:30

Attached Files

Edited by DrinksRunner, 14 January 2019 - 08:03 AM.

#13 Merciless

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:58 PM

View PostDrinksRunner, on 14 January 2019 - 07:57 AM, said:

Scratch what I said about the hills.
Apparently the course has changed for Ross this year so it will be flatter.
Should make it a bit easier for sub 3:30
You'll be grateful for the hills training during the last 10kms of the marathon :)

#14 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:03 PM

Thereís some awesome suggestions in there, Thankyou.  For me:

- Iíve been running daily for two years and so long as I keep myself to no more than 3 ďproper sessionsĒ a week my body copes without the rest day.  I usually space these out by putting an easy 5-10km run between them.  
- I feel like Iíll cope ok with Tuesday AM intervals and Wednesday PM 20km run based on the ~ 36 hour gap between them.  If itís becoming a struggle I wonít be pigheaded, Iíll just shuffle the days.
- Iím definitely putting some hills in.  Iíll do 4 weeks of these at the outset, theyíll replace the midweek long run.  Iím keen on these mainly due to the Hobart Bridge run (its a somewhat hilly run) which Iíll do on 17 Feb.  After that theyíll be shelved.
- To be honest I reckon my Saturday tempos will be few and far between, maybe Iíll do a couple but mainly I expect Saturday will be an easy day.
- I agree on the weight loss sentiment, Iím keen to drop down to mid 80s.  Calorie counting here I come...
- I was stoked to hear that they are planning on changing up the course at Ross and removing the hill.  Itís been several years since my one attempt at the half up there.  The pimple of a hill has grown in my mind to being of Mt Everest proportions!

Iím so happy to be off and running with a marathon cycle, I really do dig the training.

Edited by darg75, 14 January 2019 - 08:05 PM.

#15 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:14 PM

Runners Tribe article by Chris Wardlaw (Aussie Olympian and coach, sub 2:12 marathoners, City to Surf and Bay to Breakers winner...) has long run and med-long run as his top 2 priorities so suggest swap something else out for hill runs.
https://www.runnerst...-runners-tribe/

Good work at Cadbury's Half!

Edited by Davinator, 14 January 2019 - 08:14 PM.

#16 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:01 PM

Point taken.  Great short article.

#17 DrinksRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:44 PM

How did the Cadbury Half go? 1:34:34 was that a big pb?

Double your half marathon time and add ten minutes and you should go comfortably under 3:30.

Edited by DrinksRunner, 16 January 2019 - 12:48 PM.

#18 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:28 PM

I like that theory!

It was a decent PB, took 4 minutes off last years time.  I was very happy with the run, especially the 1 minute negative split.

You didnít head down the road?

#19 JXT

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:22 AM

View Postdarg75, on 16 January 2019 - 07:28 PM, said:

I like that theory!

It was a decent PB, took 4 minutes off last years time.  I was very happy with the run, especially the 1 minute negative split.

You didnít head down the road?

I ran my first in 3:24 off a 1:36 half five weeks out. Youíre looking very solid for sub-3:30.

#20 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:29 PM

Week 1 done.

Thanks for those encouraging words, it definitely helps build my confidence that this is a realistic goal.

73km planned, I ran 69.  A couple of sessions were cut short, no dramas.

Planned key sessions were intervals Tuesday, a hilly run Thursday and a 21-25km long run on Saturday.

Tuesday morphed into a Mona fartlek with a couple of mates.  I probably went at 90% of what I might normally try this session at given I was two days removed from a hard half marathon.  Felt great.

Thursdayís hill session was cut a little short too, again, only a few days removed from the half PB and bloody hot.  I was absolutely gassed at the end, mainly due to the heat I think.

Saturdayís long run morphed a bit.  I had to make a course change just as the run started as my planned route was in the middle of a triathalon I didnít know was happening.  I ended up changing up the session to be 4x3km at goal marathon pace with a 1km float recovery (short warm up and a couple of km cool down too).  It was a little tougher than Iíd anticipated so I ended up with only an 18km run rather than the 21-25km.  Felt good, and much more within my capacity than when Iíd tried a similar session at goal half pace.  

All up 69km across 7 runs.  No real cross training, just a smattering of push-ups and sit-ups and a bit of walking.

Weight has dropped from 90.6kgs to 88.3kgs yesterday, no weigh in this morning as I was in a hotel after going to Mona foma on Saturday.  Great start to the marathon block!  I calorie counted on the weekdays (allowing for excercise calories) and was only supposed to drop 0.5kgs, somehow this ended up being 2.3kgs.  A few beers over the weekend and some fun eating will offset the ~ 30km I knocked out this weekend.  Iím going to calorie count Monday - Thursday again this week and see how that goes.  If I get another big drop and close to my end goal of 85kgs Iíll shelve the calorie counting plans as I donít want to compromise my energy levels.  Having enough fuel on board to run > than dropping weight obsessively to try to run faster / easier.

So, diet good Monday to Thursday and less so Friday to Sunday.  Beers on Friday, Saturday and tonight.  Thatíll need to change next week.

The week ahead calls for 82km with key sessions mirroring this week (intervals, hills and long) except that the long run Iíve pencilled in as 30km.  I have a question mark next to that one.  Iíll set out to run the distance but if Iím flagging Iíll cut it short.  I had hoped to have had a few 25km runs leading into this build so the jump to 30 wouldnít be so pronounced, but my longer stuff has been early 20s.  

12 weeks to go.

Edited by darg75, 20 January 2019 - 05:31 PM.

#21 DrinksRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:42 AM

I didnt make it to Cadbury, as helping out night feeding with the twins still.
Have planned to do the 50k at Gone Nuts, as we will stay with the inlaws who are down that way.
Then might have a go at Ross again, but dont really have time or energy to do more than 20km long runs in the leadup so will be interesting.

#22 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:49 AM

Week 2 done.

Interesting comment on time + motivation for long runs drinksrunner, I feel where youíre coming from (although I donít have new babies in the house to explain it!!).

Planned 82, ran 75.

Planned key sessions were intervals Tuesday, a hilly run a Thursday and a 30km long run on the weekend.

The week started well (thatís ominous sounding)...with a good session on Tuesday morning.  I ran 7x800m with a 200m walking recovery.  All ran between 3:53 - 3:56 / km pace except the last one which was at 3:45 / km pace.  Felt great.

Canned my hilly run on Thursday and did a short easy run instead.  Itíd been a very hot day + I had a dinner date with my wife to get to.  Tried my 30km on Saturday and just couldnít find the motivation to keep running.  Canned it after 15km.  Went back to the well today, planned to run 25km but canned it at 21.

So, 7 runs for 75km, two quality sessions.

Just not feeling enthusiastic about running long this week, which is less than ideal at the start of a 12 week marathon build!!  Iím continuing to really enjoy the shorter stuff, I have no problems getting out to start the long run but I get 5-10km in and think .. nah.

Iíll give myself a light week this week to see if that refreshes me for the following week.  Iíll cut the plan back to 50km for the week and cap any run at 10km.  Definitely still do my intervals on Tuesday and maybe the hilly stuff Thursday.

Diet was ok this week, similar to last week.  Calorie counted early and the weight dropped dramatically (down to 87kgs).  Had a few beers on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and the weight bounced back to where it had been, 88.3kgs.

Maybe the weight fluctuations are messing with my mojo, maybe the heat, maybe because I gave blood on Tuesday.  Whatever.  The good thing is, Iím not stressed by any of this, Iíll just revisit how I feel over the next two weeks and what will be will be.  Worst case, I delay the marathon by six months and train through winter instead.

Roll on week 3!

Edited by darg75, 27 January 2019 - 09:51 AM.

#23 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:27 PM

Nice boost to know your blood is worth bottling!
Yes, recovering from blood donation is a factor. Quick search includes results such as 3 weeks to return to normal and 3 days after donating a 5.4% drop in running performance. Increase hydration, try to eliminate caffeine and alcohol, increase carbs were some of the suggestions.
You have a very healthy attitude to this and perhaps while you reassess your return to full training will be welcomed by cooler weather.

#24 TassiePenguin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:30 PM

Do you give whole blood or plasma?  I give plasma every fortnight, and find it has minimal if any impact on my training.

#25 dadagain

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:03 AM

They wonít take my blood :(

Seems the powers that be would rather let Australians bleed out with no supplies in the bank than have blood from an Englishman.

#26 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:21 PM

They have giants at the door dadagain... Fee Fi Fo Fum!

I go whole blood Tassiepenguin.  Itís a mental thing, I canít come at the thought of plasma, the blood going out and then back in again is just too much for my emotions to cope with.

Interesting stats on the blood donation impact Davinator.  Personally I have previously felt ok two to three days post donation across an okay sample size.  This time I suspect it piled on with the heat, mucking about with calorie counting etc to make for an unusual week.

Week 3 done.

50km planned, 46 run.

Main key session was speedy stuff on Tuesday.  Hard session.  Me and two other mates copied another friends session from last week.  Warmed up then ran three repeats of three minutes at around 10km goal pace (did them in a 3:50 to 4:03 / km range).  One minute of rest followed by one minute of hair on fire running (range was 3:13 to 3:20) with a three minute very slow jog to recover.  Only twelve minutes of hard running in total but WHOOSHKA!!  I imagine I sounded like a steam train being driven by an angry gorilla by the end of it.

Also threw in a progression run on Thursday in place of hills, 5:20 into 3:56 pace across 6km.  I like progressions, they tend to be workouts that just happen of their own accord at times and really they only have about 8-10 minutes of work so you can recover quickly.

Not very marathony sessions but itís fun doing different stuff and we have a 10km fun run coming up in two weeks down here so it works for that.

All up I had two good workouts across seven runs for a restful 46kms.  Only cross training was a 1/2 hour walk to and from work each day (5 hours walking across the week) and some sit-ups and push ups.

I think Iíll push out a little this week.  Speedy Tuesday, maybe hilly Thursday and then 25km on the weekend with all other days being easy stuff.  It doesnít match the program Iíd written but itís a nice test to feel how the mojo is.  All up I expect this to be a 75km week.

Weighed in at 88.4kgs yesterday so up 0.1kgs.  No weigh in today as I went away camping with my boy.  No calorie counting.  Too much booze with drinks on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  I suspect thereís a correlation between not giving away the booze and my motivation to hit the long runs.  If nothing else comes from this marathon build and I abort it Iíll have convinced myself that the two (abstinence and marathons) need to go hand in hand for this little black duck.

Week 4 feels like a very important one.  A good sign is that Iím really anticipating it.  Roll on!

#27 Merciless

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:11 PM

View Postdarg75, on 03 February 2019 - 09:21 PM, said:

Warmed up then ran three repeats of three minutes at around 10km goal pace (did them in a 3:50 to 4:03 / km range).  
What's your 5k PB? (... If you're running 10k pace of 3:50-4:00)

#28 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:13 PM

Have to start giving blood again. I was and it was quick. People often seemed a bit miffed when I could fill the bag in sub 2 minutes while some took a lot longer in Perth and then here in Melbourne. I stopped when the wait to actually give blood took two hours+ at Box Hill. My lunch hour was not conducive with the slightly poor organization at that time.

#29 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:10 PM

Hi Merciless.  Not yet under 20 minutes for 5km.  I ran a 20:20 5km today, Strava told me it was my 3rd best effort so I have a couple more thereabouts - a really quick last 5km in the back of a fun run last year (20:14 I think and a 20:11 doing a Mona fartlek a week after my marathon last year - yay skinny bones!).

Iíll crack 20 minutes for 5km at Park Run in the next couple of weeks I reckon.  My run today wasnít an all out effort (90+% though).

My 10km PB is 41:14 so the 5km times are reflective.  I expect to improve that 10km MAYBE next weekend (the maybe is because Iím fitter but the run has a few hills which make it hard).  Regardlesss, Iíll be looking to go under 40 in June at Launceston 10.  I should have a good aerobic base, have had time to sharpen up for a 10km and Iíll cross my fingers for similar conditions to last year - cold and still.  Launnie 10 is great, itís very flat and fast.

I feel you in the lunchtimes Navy.  I tend to donate in the evening now, that way Iím only messing with my personal time.

#30 dadagain

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:15 PM

If anyone can spare a few litres of blood I wouldnít mind a complete change! Mine doesnít seem to be working :(

#31 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:30 PM

View Postdadagain, on 09 February 2019 - 02:15 PM, said:

If anyone can spare a few litres of blood I wouldnít mind a complete change! Mine doesnít seem to be working :(

:-(  No improvement?

#32 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:06 AM

Week 4 done.

Still no clearer on what Iíll do with regards to the April marathon.

75km guesstimated, 65km run.

Key planned sessions were a speed session on Tuesday, a possible hilly one on Thursday and a 25km long run Sunday.

Tuesday was ok, ran 2x2km with km splits in the 4:06-410 range.  Felt too cooked to knock out a third.  Booted hills on Thursday and just did an easy run.  Did a speedy Park Run on Saturday as a sharpener for next weeks Hobart Bridge run.  Got through 5km in 20:20 which felt good.  Todayís 25 ended up a 23km run, I did the Pipeline up on Mt Wellington and my normal turn around point makes it a 23km run.  Felt very strong, 5:30ish / km on the way out (mildly uphill) and 4:50ish on the way back down.  Could have easily added 5 more km on top of this without being really baked so thatís promising.

So 3 quality sessions across 7 runs for a total of 65kms.

The week ahead will be totes not marathony.  Bridge run is always one of my favourites so Iíll be easing off on longer stuff to get this one done in a good time.  I expect Iíll cover ~ 55km with key sessions being a short intervals session on Tuesday, a 15-20 minute tempo on Thursday and then the 10km fun run on Sunday.

Iím 9 weeks out from the marathon with a non marathony week.  Iím still undecided.  Forgetting about this week I can still do a good six weeks where I could go with a 25, 27, 29, 31, 33 and 35 long run program supported by 20ish km mid week runs.  That still feels solid.  Iíll keep plugging away.

Weight up, 88.9kgs (+.5) this morning which reflects my boozy diet. Whatever.

Roll on week 5 and fingers crossed for a course PB next Sunday.

#33 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:29 PM

Week 5 in the bag.

55km guesstimated for the week.  49 run.

Not a very marathony week due to the Bridge Run today.  Iíd hoped to set at least a course PB but a dose of the man flu put a stop to that.  Did the first 3km at goal pace (~ 4:05-4:10 for this course) and then blew up on the first hill.  Que sera.  Finished with a time of 44:44.

Key sessions were 10km related, they were satisfactory.

7 runs for 49km which includes three quality (intervals a very short 2km tempo at goal 10km pace and todayís fun run).

The week ahead will see me push back out into the 75km territory.  Intervals Tuesday, 21km midweek long run and a 25km long run Sunday.  I might have a dip at a fast Park run to soothe todayís wounds too.  Iíll see how Iím feeling.

Weight staticat 88.9kgs.  Iíd like to see that drop by a kg by the end of Feb.  might be time to say bye to booze this week.  Weíll see.

I think if I get through both the midweek long run and the Sunday 25km then Iím on track.  If not Iíll need to kick this baby to the curb and start again latter in the year.  D-week!!

#34 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:27 PM

And.... Iím out.

Couldnít muster the courage for a 2 hour run last night or tonight.  I need to acknowledge that I didnít put myself into this fully.

Might butter up again for a September or October run or might try again later on.

No stress.  Iíll play around with ticking off some other goals instead.

#35 Merciless

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:40 PM

View Postdarg75, on 21 February 2019 - 07:27 PM, said:

And.... Iím out.

Couldnít muster the courage for a 2 hour run last night or tonight.  I need to acknowledge that I didnít put myself into this fully.

Might butter up again for a September or October run or might try again later on.

No stress.  Iíll play around with ticking off some other goals instead.
Oh no darg75. We all lose our mojo. Sometimes it just takes a week or so of easy running to get it back.

#36 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:52 PM

Iím back!

Launceston marathon is 20 weeks away - September 8th.

Week 1.

So, with a couple of mates planning a crack at Sunshine Coast in August (aka I have training buddies) along with a nice cool Tassie winter approaching Iím getting back on this horse.

20 weeks to get myself into 3:30 marathon form.

Iíve sat down and planned out a training program.  Iíve emphasised speed early (first 6 weeks) and then built on distance later.  Iím planning on hitting 6 x 30+ km runs (last 10 weeks) and really focusing on a long midweek run as the key plank in this try.  I want to try to hit a 5:00 pace midweek long run of 20+ km on a weekly basis for a large chunk of the 20 weeks.

At day 1 Iím sitting on 87.8kgs, lower than Iíve started a marathon program in the past (thanks gastro a week ago...).

Iím injury free, Yay!!

Iím feeling motivated, especially given Iíve got two mates to train with.  In particular, my mate that helped me get under 4:00 last year, is going to try for a 3:15 in August so I know Iíve got some hard sessions available to me on a weekly basis for the first 3-4 months.  His training plans look tough and heíll be peaking 6 weeks earlier than me.  On the flip side he doesnít need me running every session with him.   Iíll focus on joining him for the second half of his long runs and pacing him for portions of his speed work.  That way I get to help out and say thanks for last year + get nice and fit without destroying myself!

This week calls for 73 km with the key sessions being a 3x4km effort at 1/2 marathon goal pace (4:17) and a 21km long run on Sunday.  Iím also giving myself a weekly optional 5km tempo / hard run on Saturdays via Park Run.

From a diet point of view Iím feeling pretty laid back.  I expect Iíll drop booze in a month or so and once dropped leave it alone until post marathon.  No veganism planned this time however Iím currently working on a day on / day off approach to eating meat.  Itís a couple of weeks in and itís left me feeling pretty good so far.  

So... here we go.

#37 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:36 PM

Week 1 in the bag.

73km planned, 73km run.

Got through my two key session.  Boy the 3x4km @ 4:17 was HARD.  Way harder than I need to be going for my > 3:30 goal.  Good to test myself out though and it was good from a mental resilience point of view too as I wanted to end the session after the first 4km but gritted my teeth and hot it done, all at or under goal pace.

Todayís 21.1km long run was challenging too.  The first 7km was on a hilly course around a point between two beaches and given I ran it at close to 5:00 kms it really flattened my batteries for the remaining 14km.  The rest was easy, flat roads and gravel paths near the beach and run at 5:15-5:20.  I was fatigued enough at the end to need a walk at about the 18km mark.  Iíve definitely lost some endurance over the last 6 months but hey, I know itíll comeback over the 20 week journey.  No gels, just water for the long run.

I also chucked a 10km at my goal MP run into the mix during the week.  Felt good, comfortable even.

All up 7 runs (2 quality) for 73km.

This week Iím planning 78km with the key sessions being a 3x5km at my mates goal MP of 4:37/km and a 25km long run.  I might pack a gel this time.

No injuries or niggles.  

Headspace is good.

Diet is ok.  Weight static at 87.8kgs.  Way too much grog and not enough sleep.  Thatíll have to change.

Roll on week 2!

#38 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:43 PM

Week 2 done.

78km planned and78km run.

Two key sessions went well, albeit having to adjust one because Iím a forgetful goose.  My 3x5km at 4:37/km pace became 2x5 as I forgot my head torch and it got dark and would have been unsafe running on the bike track for another 25 minutes.  Yep, Iím a goose.  Regardless it was a good session and I finished it knowing I could have knocked out another 5km at that pace.  

The 25km run this morning went exceptionally well.  I plugged in a running podcast and got lost in that.  I set a goal pace of 5:15/km.  The first 15km I ranged from 5:13 - 5:18 with 14 of the 15km run at 5:15 or quicker.  I was clockwork.  I ran a 7.5km section of the bike path that is reasonably flat as an out and back.  Quick pit stop for a drink and a 200m walk then I was off for another 10km.  That one was 5:13 down to 4:54 pace and in a lovely outcome a 5:14 average for the 25km, even allowing for the walk.  I love that!  I felt great out there today.

No gels today, just lolly snakes and one swig of waterafter the first 15km.

I also threw some hills into the week, 3x600m repeats on Monday and about 275m of elevation across an 11km run on Tuesday.  Also did a slightly faster than goal pace 10km on Thursday.  A busy week!!

All up 7 runs (2 quality sessions) for 78kms.

This week will be similar.  Speedy stuff early and a long run of 25km on Saturday.  Speed will be 6x1 mike efforts at goal 10km pace (4:00/km).  A bit of a tune up for an upcoming fun run.

No injuries, but I was fatigued by the time Friday rolled around.  Two easy days sorted that out though.

Iím feeling really positive, especially after knocking out a strong 25km run today.

Weight slightly up at 88.4, it was in the 87s all week so Iíll just call that a big dinner and a few cans on Saturday night.

10% of the buildup done already!  Bring on week 3.

#39 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:03 PM

Week 3 complete.

78 planned, 78 run.

Key sessions were a 6x1 Mile repeat at 10km pace and a weekend long run of 25km.

I planned to run the repeats at goal10km pace but ended up running them at actual.  Reasonably taxing session as these were done of a 90 second walking recovery into a 30 second jog with the plan to speed up to the correct pace by the time each spear began.  Pleasing that I got quicker as the session went along.  Tired and abit sore the next day (not dissimilar to how Iíd expect to feel after a 10km race!).

Long run was done yesterday morning, a little hungover...  Between lingering fatigue, the hangover and the ~ 300m elevation change over the run I felt pretty stuffed by the end of the run.  Pretty slow overall pace of about 5:45/km which included 3x500m walk breaks.  Good to get that one behind me.  I listened to the Inside Running podcast as I was on my own.  I found it really entertaining and easy to get lost in my head for a couple of hours whilst this was on.  Worth a listen!  

Again, no gels, just snakes.  I carried water this time as the course was out and back.

All up 7 runs for 78kms (including 2 quality runs).

Lighter week planned of 58km as itís Hobart City to Casino on Sunday - unusual distance of 11km across a slightly rolling course.  Iím aiming for a 45 minute time but expect it to be closer to 46 (maybe even a little over).  Iím pretty sure either of those would be a course PB.

Key session will be limited to the fun run and a 5x1km at goal 10km pace early in the week.

On the injury front I carried a sore right hip for a chunk of the week which happily disappeared by Saturday morning.

Weight back down to 87.5kgs.  

Still drinking too much.

Light week and a race has come at a good time, by the time thatís done Iím 20% of the way there!

#40 Zedzded

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:03 PM

Can someone recommend me a run program, prefer something I can sync with training peaks

#41 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:44 PM

Week 4 in the bag.

Light week of 58km planned, 54 run.

Key sessions were a planned 5x1km at 4:00 pace and todayís 11km City to Casino fun run.

The intervals didnít work, I adjusted them back to 800ms before I set out and then only did 3.  I struggled to hit pace - I mean I hit it comfortably with 3:50-3:54 pace but I had to work much too hard to get that.  Felt like I was running into the wind in both directions so pulled the pin at 3 and jogged home.  S*** session.

Fun run exceeded my expectations.  Felt flat, and a bit sore all week then pulled out a 3:30am finish on Friday night getting on the gas with old mates.  All that coupled with the bad intervals session left me thinking my 45-46 minute prediction was miles offs. On the plus side, perfect conditions.  The run itself went well, controlled but worked hard, no niggles whilst I was running and finished with a 45:33 official time for ~ 4:08/km pace.  Thatís roughly a 3 minute corse PB.  Yay!  Great finish to a low week.

All up 1 quality session (and 1 failed one!!) across 7 runs for 55km.

My plan isnít in front of me so Iím guessing with this week but I expect itíll be 75-80km plan.  If I run intervals I expect theyíll be more 1/2 marathon paced and on the longer side (2-5 km each) but I may skip them this week to aid recovery from todayís hard effort.  Iíll also be looking to introduce a 15km + midweek longer run to couple with a 25-27km run on the weekend.

As I said above felt flat, and sore on and off this week.  Sore left knee (manageable) and sore right hip (same).  So interesting to me that those symptoms disappear when Iím working really hard as I did today.  Form improves with pace?  Concentrating on the overall ďthis is hard workĒ rather than gee my knee hurts?  Running Gods bless me? Who knows, but like I said, it interests me!

Weight static, down 0.1 to 87.4.  Iím really pleased with where this is at right now.  With weekly kms about to push up and a tacit agreement with my wife that come the start of June weíll put the booze away for 3 months I can definitely see plenty of room to push it down by September and hit the marathon at a (for me) really good weight.

Looking forward to kicking it up a few notches on the volume over the coming weeks!

#42 Zedzded

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:29 AM

View Postdarg75, on 19 May 2019 - 05:44 PM, said:

Week 4 in the bag.

Light week of 58km planned, 54 run.

Key sessions were a planned 5x1km at 4:00 pace and today's 11km City to Casino fun run.

The intervals didn't work, I adjusted them back to 800ms before I set out and then only did 3.  I struggled to hit pace - I mean I hit it comfortably with 3:50-3:54 pace but I had to work much too hard to get that.  Felt like I was running into the wind in both directions so pulled the pin at 3 and jogged home.  S*** session.

Wouldn't you have been better just completing the session albeit at a slower pace? Training 14 - 18 hours a week for a big race (triathlon) you're fatigued a lot of the time and it wouldn't be unusual for me not to be able to make the designated run pace, especially for intervals. I remember one interval session of 800m repeats and they were supposed to be at 3.45 pace and ended up closer to marathon pace!

#43 DrinksRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:10 PM

Well done on the city to casino result. you must have been close to the 45 minute pacer.
I wish I had of ran it this year due to launnie ten not being on.
But I did the 7kms last year due to the water issue so that probably why I didnt go back.
I have just signed up in the 100km @ launnie marathon :Rolling Eyes: .

#44 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:23 PM

Week 5 done.  Thatís 25%!

Excellent point Zedzed.  I could have shown more discipline and finished them out.  Iíll let that be motivation next time Iím feeling weak willed.  Iím wincing at the thought of 12-18 hour training weeks.  My god, 7 hours this week felt long, double that?!?

Thanks DrinksRunner, I felt a bit meh about the City to Cas heading in but we were blessed with outstanding conditions.  Everyone I spoke to about it really enjoyed the day.  Come back next year!  Also, 100kms?  I saw Chris L a few times on course whilst I was doing the marathon.  I think won the 100 last year.  Amazing to watch someone whoís very fit wear down over the course of the time I was out there AND THEN he had to keep going for a few more hours.  Hats off to you, 100km is epic.

Plan called for 81km which is exactly what I ran.

Key sessions were intervals early, midweek long and then 25 today.  My calf was a little tight on Tuesday so I left speedy stuff alone and ran 3x2km at current half pace (about 4:30/km).  Felt okay and that was the last of the residual stiffness from Sundayís hard effort.  Longer midweek run got pushed to Friday afternoon rather than done on Wednesday or Thursday purely for ease of scheduling.  I had some kid free time so took it!  Made a mistake by eating a dirty greasy burger and an oily bag of chips about 1 1/2 hours beforehand.  Those bad boys felt like a big rock in my gut for the first 5km and I was a little slower than planned marathon pace to start with.  After that I warmed into the run and got quicker, enough so that the final time was just under 5:00/km.  I felt really strong in the last 5km.  I felt great afterwards and it really reinforced to me how good these longer runs during the week are.  Todayís 25km was done with mates, 80% of it done at or over 6:00/km pace as this suits one guys training style.  Once I was on my own I pushed the pace down to about 5:30ish and finished out the 25km in exactly 2.5 hours.  No gels, carried water and jelly beans.  Felt pretty tired by the end of it, 2.5 hours on your feet is tiring irrespective of how fast I was going!

So, all up 7 runs for 81km (three quality).

The week ahead was supposed to be a light week due to Launceston 10 on Sunday.  Sadly that event has been canceled this year.  Iím going to stick with the plan though and take a lighter week, cutting it back to the planned 57km.  Iíll do an interval session early and other than that itíll just be 5-10km runs daily.  I expect this will recharge the batteries nicely.

Sore left knee and right hip have been less noticeable, yay!  Still lingering but hopefully fading.  Annoying sore spot in the pad of my left foot, behind the toes this weekend.  Doesnít show up when running but does when walking.  I expect itíll settle with an easier week - especially if I keep off the concrete biketrack.  All up Iím feeling pretty good, just little things that are annoying rather than alarming.  Iíll take that.

Weight static at 87.4.  Diets good (ignore that burger mentioned above...), alcohol intake is bad.  Finishing up my time with booze from 1 June and taking all of winter off.  My liver will thank me for it!

Enthusiasm levels are ok.  Iím not feeling the same drive as I did when I had the goal of breaking 4 hours last year.  I keep catching myself daydreaming about running a PB rather than going sub 3:30.  Interesting (to me) to see how that plays out over the next 12 weeks as the longer distances start kicking in.  

Roll on a nice light week 6!

#45 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:46 PM

Week 6 completed, deliberately a lighter week.

57km planned, 58 run.

Key planned session was an intervals session earlier in the week.  I ran a fartlek type run instead, where I ran 7km at goal marathon pace of 4:50-4:55 for 500m and then alternated that with my current 1/2 pace of 4:20-4:30.  Felt good.  I also threw in an 8km at goal marathon pace tempo style run later in the week.  I finished out the week with a longer than planned workout, but was feeling fresh and had a few kms I needed to pick up to hit the weekly target.  Today was 3x5km at goal marathon pace with 1km recoveries done about 20-30 seconds slower.  Felt good.  The only negative was I ran the last 5km too quick and as I  was going up a long slight incline my HR blew out. It went from an acceptable 150 BPM to start the last 5km to about 170 BPM for the last km.  I reckon I could sustain a 150 minute BPM average for the marathon (last years 3:43 PB was done with a 155 BPM average) but no way Iíd cope with hitting 170 1/2 way through it.  The silly thing is, I did it to get home early because it was p***ing down.  I got home 1 minute quicker than otherwise, and still soaked anyway...  Ah well, you live and learn.

So, 3 quality runs (57km all up across 7 runs).

The week ahead calls from 79kms with the key sessions being a quicker run early, a 21km run midweek and a 21km run Sunday.  Time to kick the midweek runs into gear, Iíll be trying for 1:45 - 2 hours midweek from here on out.

Iíve come out of the lighter week feeling great, all niggles subsided so it served its purpose beautifully.

Weight up a little from 87.4 to 88.2kgs.  Lighter week, lots of bread and meat and beer (Iím an Aussie man!!!) can answer for the ~ 1kg gain.  Interestingly (only to me) on the 2 June 2018 I weighed 88.3kgs.  

As with past years Iím cutting booze out as part of my marathon build.  This year Iím dropping it from 1 June until race day - 14 weeks.  Thatíll make my mind clearer, my tummy littler and my liver happier (not to mention my bank balance!).

Enthusiasm still only ok.  I must say, due to poor weather I wasnít excited about stepping outside today BUT once I was 15 minutes in I really enjoyed it.  A fair chunk of my running has been solo the past 3-4 weeks.  Iím expecting a few more joint runs for the next month so I reckon thatíll help too.

Roll on week 7.

#46 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:14 PM

Week 7 complete.

79 planned, 80 run.

Key sessions planned were a faster run early, 21km midweek and 21km today.

Quicker session wasnít that quick, a 4km progression that finished at around 1/2 marathon pace followed by 4km at goal marathon pace.  Just didnít feel like going quicker.  Probably need to address that in coming weeks.

21km midweek was reduced to 18km due to time constraints around family duties.  Made up for it by doing it as a quality session though, 3x5km at goal marathon pace with a 1km recovery fine ~ 30 seconds slower.  My second attempt at this one in the space of a few days.  Good session, harder than I thought itíd be but felt good.  Hit all the splits between 4:48 and 4:55.  The slowest km was the first km of the first set so thatís good!

Todayís run stretched out to 25km, partly to accomodate my mate that I ran with but also to pick up a few lost kms over the week.  Went well, ran around the roads at Seven Mile Beach so it was nice and flat.  Averaged about 5:40 pace.  No gels or lollies, just water.

All up 7 runs for 80kms, 3 of which were quality.

Havenít checked this weeks schedule but Iím guessing itíll be early 80s for volume and be similar to this week, likely stretching the long run to 27kms.

Weight plummeted this week from 88.2kgs to 86.9.  Thatíll be the higher volume plus the first week off the booze.  Iíd like another few kgs between now and marathon day but 7 weeks in, I feel like Iím on track.

No niggles this week which is good.  Feel like Iím moving around the outside edge of a cold.  Family have all been ill over the last 10 days so not surprising.  Fingers crossed it leaves me alone.

Enthusiasm levels improving, spurred on by that nice feeling of getting marathon fit.  Iím moving into that happy place where a 2-3 hour run doesnít fill me with doubts about how hard itíll be beforehand nor destroy me once complete.  It really feels nice to feel like Iím on the way to marathon fit.

Looking forward to week 8, hopefully another successful one and once done 40% of the way there!

#47 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 minutes ago

Week 8 - 40% done!

Turns out the plan was 85, I ran 84.

Planned sessions included intervals early in the week, a midweek 21km run and a weekend 27.

I dropped the intervals this week, just wasnít in the mood.  

I knocked out the 21km in an hour and 55 on a wet and a bit of a miserable evening.  The run had some hilly bits in it, about 200m in elevation gain.  Overall I enjoyed the run.  

I usually do my midweek longer runs along the same  section of bike track.  Itís safe and manageable in the dark.  Daylight hours are pushing into the 7:45am to 4:45pm territory at the moment so running the same stretch of bike track in the dark, whilst safe is getting yuck!

This time I broke the run up into 3 sections of roughly 7km each and only one of them was on the bike track, the last one heading home.  Made a world of difference!  I must remember variety keeps me sane®.

The 27km ended up being a few hundred metres short at 26.6kms.  Offsetting that was the 800+ metres of elevation!  I ran a pretty flat first half of the course and then ran the first 13km of the Point to Pinnacle course, finishing at the spring.  Lots of walk breaks in that!  Overall time ended up at just under 2 hours 50 on my legs so a pretty decent sized run.  Pace was about 6:15km.  Had two mates along for the run which was great.  We dropped one at 10km as he had other plans but the other fella ran with me all the way.  The mad bugger did todayís run off the back of a 21km effort the day before completed at about 5:00 pace.  Iím guessing heís sore and tired tonight!  Probably in bed already.

So, 84km run across 7 runs (2 quality).

The plan for the week ahead will be similar to this one.  Mid 80s volume, something quicker earlier, 21kms mid and 27km Sunday.

Weight up this week to 87.5kgs.  No idea why.

Injury free AND Iím definitely feeling the training taking hold.  I feel fitter, which is an awesome feeling.

Headspace is good, helped along by 2 weeks off the booze and the general good fitness feelings.

Bring on week 8, the halfway line is almost in sight!