76 replies to this topic

#1 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:52 PM

I thought someone else would have kicked off this thread for the year.  I'm not patient enough to wait, so here it is.

Last year got me to sub 2:45 and I figure at age 46 I can't have too many more PBs left in me.  So it's time for me to commit hard.  This year's big aim is sub 2:40 at Gold Coast.

The hard bit is figuring out what I need to do to get there.  Last year's training had me averaging around 140kms a week with a peak at about 180kms leading up to Gold Coast.  This year my average and peak should be slightly higher - probably by about 5 or 10kms a week.  I'll probably put more marathon pace sections into my long runs too.  

Other than that it all comes down to race day.  Last year I know I wasn't as strict on my pace as I should have been.  It wandered up too high when I stuck with a group I thought were steady at my speed, but in reality they were accelerating.  I think that cost me a little later in the race.

I'm not sure if those two factors coupled with another year in the legs will make enough difference, but I'll give it a good red hot go.

looking forward to hearing everyone else's plans.  Here's to a spectacular 2019.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 JXT

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for starting the thread.
I didnít realise you were running such high volume. Man, I wish I could run like that without breaking down. Do you double or is it all in singles?
Good luck with the goal, too.

Not really sure what my plans and goals are for the year. Since Sydney Iíve been all over the shop with diet, motivation and volume. Thought Iíd turned a corner last week with 110km but have only run once this week and will struggle to break 75km.
Iíve no plans to chase a PB but Iíd like to run a few more sub-threes - I need another four to get 10 in a row.
Iíve entered Boston in April so I need to start getting the finger out if Iím to be in shape. Canberra is my back up if works kills Boston.

#3 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:40 PM

You're welcome JXT.

I run doubles on weekdays.  Most of my kilometers are part of a running commute.  My morning runs are longer (about 16kms on recovery days and about 24 to 30kms on Tuesdays and Thursdays).  I run the whole way to work.  In the afternoons I catch the train most of the way home and run the last 4 to 8kms depending on how much time I have and therefore which station I get off at.  Sundays are my long run (normally about 35 to 40kms).

I do feel lucky to be able to keep up that volume, but equally i am impressed by those who achieve the same as me (or better) on lower volumes.

I hope you get your running mojo back JXT - 6 sub 3 marathons is incredible- 10 is completely insane.  I hope you get there (and pull out another 2:41:xx)

#4 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for starting the thread HeadlampRunner, I'm going to have another try at sub-3 this year.

I'm nowhere near as fast as you guys, and literally targeting 2:59:xx, not beyond. I ran Boston in 2018 in 3:07, but the conditions were atrocious. That was only my second marathon after bonking at Gold Coast but still getting a BQ. I ran a half marathon in August in 1:24:10 off no specific training which gave me confidence that I can go sub 3 for the full.

I've chosen Canberra for my attempt, maybe not as fast a course as others but it seems fairly flat and comes at a good time of year for me. It also means I can try Gold Coast or Sydney as a backup in case of injury, bad weather, etc.

I'm using a Pfitzinger plan with peak weekly volume around 140 km. That is more than I'm used to, so I may have to modify it if my 48-year-old body doesn't cope. Just finished week 3 115km with no problems so hopefully OK. I've decided to go higher volume as I'm planning to run UTA50 which comes about 5 weeks after Canberra.

My main risks are injury and inexperience. I've been seeing a physio who has me doing specific core and strength workouts to correct my specific weaknesses and imbalances and that has allowed me to have the longest stretch of uninterrupted training in my life so far (touch wood). The inexperience at pacing, nutrition, hydration etc is probably harder to deal with and is what brought me undone at Gold Coast 2017 (bonked after 26km) but hoping to get some good tips from some of you more experienced marathoners as I go.

Looking forward to hearing your progress and results - is anyone else planning to do Canberra this year?

#5 DrinksRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:16 AM

Last year I got my 2:59, then 50km ultra and a couple of 3:08 marathons all in a 4 week period and the ultra probably cost me in running a good time for the later marathons. In hind sight  i should have focused on the second marathon, or went way easier at the ultra...(which was the plan)

This year, well im not doing cadbury this weekend as haven't trained and will have 10 week old twins.
Looking at doing 50kms at Gone Nuts In March as We can stay at the inlaws.
Then Ross marathon is in April - im not sure If I will even do the marathon there, but I probably will on little preparation, if recover from the ultra.
Given how well you guys are running in your 40's gives me hope I could still run some better marathons in future years.
My main focus this year is to get to 100 park runs and trying to get 5km PB under 18mins.

Edited by DrinksRunner, 07 January 2019 - 08:18 AM.

#6 Cibsob

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:15 PM

I have been an envious lurker on the previous iterations of this thread over the last couple of years, never thinking sub 3 would be achievable for myself..
Last year though, with some great guidance and a solid and disciplined training regime, saw me squeeze in just under - 2.59.08..   Could not have been happier..
I told the wife, that if i hit that goal, 2019 would not be as full on and would treat the year a little more socially..  However...  in all honesty, on a better day, on a friendlier course, I am pretty optimistic I was capable of going sub 2.55.... I am very tempted to target something in the second half of the year that will give me this opportunity.  It would be nice to knock off the old man's 2.56.14..

#7 JXT

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

Some great goals here.
I face-planted off my son's BMX last night showing him how to do a mono. Yep, I've still got it! Left knee is a bit tender but I don't think it's anything too debilitating.
So, while I'm icing the knee I'm writing a plan for Canberra/Boston and see where the fitness gets in the next 13 weeks. As usual, my only quicker running will be marathon pace stuff with the occasional time trial thrown in. I'm too fragile for outright speed work and I'll also cut the mileage back. Last year for Sydney, I averaged 130km per week over 12 weeks with a month at 150. This will be closer to a 120km average with peaks of 135. It's probably a bit more volume and a bit less quality than when I ran my first sub three in 2015.
I'm not going to be as strict with my diet, though I'll tidy it up a bit and drop a little bit of weight (presently 68kg but was 57 at Sydney last year - I'm 178cm tall).

If Canberra/Boston gets derailed, I'll run Western Sydney in June. I might run that anyway (assuming I recover from the April marathon) as I think this could be a fast course now that the race is held in winter - not that I'm targeting a PB. I ran it in the heat (27 degrees on the start line when it was in October) for a 2:56 and then in the wind for a 2:49.
Then I'll consider Sydney in September. It's cliched but I do enjoy running across the Harbour Bridge.

DrinksRunner - I didn't run my first sub-three until I was 37, and despite lots of time lost to injuries, I've been trending faster (am 42 this year). I think there's potentially some improvement still there, but my main goal was to run a sub-2:45 and it took a lot out of me to do it. I'm content with my PB but you only need to look at HeadlampRunner to see what's possible in your 40s. And then guys like Gary Mullins and Brendan Davies are punching out amazing results in their 40s.

#8 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:53 PM

Call it a x-training accident JXT :p

Hope you get to Boston, but either way it looks like we'll be following a similar trajectory in training as I'm planning to do Canberra. Already booked accommodation and entered the race so injury is out of the question now...

#9 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:05 PM

View PostDrinksRunner, on 07 January 2019 - 08:16 AM, said:

Given how well you guys are running in your 40's gives me hope I could still run some better marathons in future years.

I probably won't race a marathon this year, but thought I'd (self indulgently) post my ages & (GCM) times, which (generally) have come down as i've aged. These are all at Gold Coast
Year               Age             Time
2009              38                3.37
2010              39                3.23
2011              40                3.25
2012              41                3.18
2013              42                3.10
2014              43                2.59
2018              47                3.06

I think last year I was in really good shape fitness wise, but just a bit off on the actual day. I don't think that time represents a slip yet...

I bought (& consumed)  Advanced marathoning by Pfitzinger in April/May 2013, which I account for much of the improvement in the last 3.
2013 was run with only about 8 weeks of the program used from the book. This was enough to show me that the principles in the book would work quite well for me if I did a full program.

#10 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:42 PM

Thanks Seano. This is my first marathon using a Pfitzinger plan and I'd love to see a similar level of improvement, looks like we're about the same age.

I've always been a runner, but only recreational for many years so I only started entering races about 5-6 years ago. All of my PBs from 5km to marathon have been set in the last 2 years. I'm starting to find it's hard to keep improving at the 5km distance, maybe I've peaked there, but I'm still making progress at 10km, half and full marathon.

#11 JXT

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:59 PM

Invergowrie - 5km is a brutal distance both in terms of the race and the training. Maybe Iím just geared towards grinding out the miles but none of my shorter distance PBs marry up with the marathon. Or maybe I canít stand the suffering that is an all-out 5km.

I like Pfitzinger as well but my plans are a mashup of many coaches. Maybe I should actually follow a plan one day.

#12 TassiePenguin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:00 PM

What is this doing sub 3s in your 30s, I didn't do my first one until I was 47 :)

Did 2 last year (Canberra and Sydney) with a birthday in between, so now have a sub 3 at 47, 48 and 49, so that makes the goal for this year fairly easy, a sub 3 as a 50 year old (after 23 April).

Also going back into pacer mode though to help people achieve their goals.  So far I am locked in as 3.30 pacer for Rotorua (5 May) and Adelaide (27 May), so aiming for Sunshine Coast to be the target race.  Also (hopefully) doing Cadbury this weekend, although carrying a calf niggle, so won't decide until the morning, but training pre niggle suggests a sub 3 is possible for Cadbury.

#13 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

Agreed JXT, I find the suffering in a 5K race harder than.a 10km or half.

Did you overcome your calf in time for Cadbury TassiePenguin?

A good week of training - knocked out 123km this week which would be among my longest weeks ever. No fast running this week, just some strides in an easy 16km run then a couple of medium-long runs (24km and 20km) along with today's 32km long run, first time over 30km in this cycle. The rest was recovery running. It was pretty tough going today, and I really struggled in the last 10km. I think the dehydration played a part - despite drinking 1.5 litres of water on the run and another litre after getting back I'd still lost 2kg since yesterday. Should have got out the door earlier, but I dawdled a bit and didn't leave until 7am. Apart from that, the week went pretty well and I'm handling the volume comfortably at the moment.

Next week has me doing some threshold running and a long run with a marathon pace segment, all while still increasing volume a little so that will be a tester...

Hope your training is going well, and the injury gods are smiling for you.

Edited by Invergowrie, 13 January 2019 - 10:55 AM.

#14 JXT

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:43 PM

Invergowrie - great week this early in your cycle (Canberra right?).
Iím miles away from a week like that. Did 81km off four runs including a hilly 25 yesterday. Did 15 with the last 7 at (just) sub-three pace and I felt fairly cooked.
Pretty sure I could run a 3:05-3:07 tomorrow, but a 2:55-ish feels like a long way away. If I can get in two consistent weeks with 110km off six runs, Iíll have a go at a 10km time trial. If I can run a 38:30 I know Iím on track for a sub-three.

#15 Maffrew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:04 PM

View PostHeadlampRunner, on 03 January 2019 - 08:52 PM, said:

I thought someone else would have kicked off this thread for the year.  I'm not patient enough to wait, so here it is.

Good one kicking it off. I've been very slack and not looking at the forum much at all, partly because I've not been running much at all! My thyroid problems had me basically not run at all in the first half of the year after which I had a brief resurgence before getting laid low again a couple of months ago. Bloods all come back normal this time and the Dr actually thinks I'm suffering anxiety/depression which is a new one! Currently eeking out 30-40km/week but not a very quality 30-40 and without sessions as I generally feel tired and grotty and not up to doing it.

I've got my fingers crossed for a fresh start in 2019, particularly as we quite literally have that in March with the family moving all the way from Newcastle NSW to Albany WA. We hadn't been looking for a move as we love Newy but my wife got a big job opportunity so we decided to try somewhere/something new and go live in a different part of the country, at least for a few years. So fingers crossed it will suit me and I'll gradually pick up and be able to run more cos 2018 was a really shit year running wise...

Some good running happening around though. My club the Newcastle Flyers have gone from strength to strength since we formed from a group into an official club and that's been fun to have a hand in steering and still being active there.

Plenty of good running happening here too it looks like. Good luck to all the prospective sub 3 runners.

JXT, if you can avoid hurting yourself, you stand to run really well as usual. You too DrinksRunner.

#16 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:41 AM

Thanks JXT - and yes I'm targeting Canberra. Normally I'd do closer to a 12 week cycle, but I've also registered for UTA50 in May and decided to do a full 18 week program with higher volume than I'm used to.

Good luck with preparing for the move Maffrew, it sounds like you've been going through some tough times and I hope the change will give you a boost.

#17 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:31 PM

Another good week done, 12 weeks to go until Canberra!

Knocked out 126.4km for the week with a threshold run Tue, medium-long on Wed (24km) and Fri (20km) and marathon pace long run today (Sun). The rest was easy and recovery running.

Tuesday's threshold run was 15km total, with 6km at threshold pace. I managed to hold a 3:59 average pace for the threshold segment which I was very happy with. Today's goal pace workout was 13km easy then 16km at goal pace for a total of 29km. Despite a fairly stiff breeze (headwind for half the goal pace segment) I managed to hold 4:12 pace, though it would have been a positive split as I was slowing in the last 6km. Very happy with that, and the body is still handling the extra volume pretty well, I also managed a couple of gym sessions during the week.

Hope your training is going well.

#18 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:32 PM

Maffrew, always great to see people come back to the forums, and I hope you can get your health and running back on track again. Perhaps the move is a good thing. Nice part of the world over there, and you are sure to find nice places to run.

#19 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:00 PM

11 weeks to go.

Had a week in Byron Bay, and though I was in holiday mode only missed an afternoon recovery. Made up a bit with a few extra km here and there, finished with a bit over 131km for the week which is probably a record for me. Tue was 18km with 8km at threshold pace. For some reason I decided to do the threshold segment on the beach, bad idea. Pace was slower as a result, though it was a good workout and I'm sure I got the benefit. Wed and Fri were medium-long (24km and 21km) both with a lot of beach running which was a nice change. Today was 33km long run, I followed a similar course to a run 2 weeks ago and ran a lot stronger and quicker over a slightly longer distance which was good. The rest were easy and recovery runs.

Looks like next week will be a small step down in overall volume, though the long run will continue to build.

I'm keen to get some advice on tune-up races. Pfitzinger suggests 3 tune up races on a Saturday 7, 5 and 3 weeks out from the race. He also suggests 8-15km races only.  Living in Armidale I don't have access to many Saturday races. There is the Port Macquarie Running Festival 6 weeks out that has half, 10k and 5k options or the treble. I could try doing the half, or maybe do the treble but try to hold marathon pace the whole way. Regardless it wouldn't be following Pfitzinger's advice and would be only 1 race. My other option is to do some time trials instead, not likely to push as hard as a race but still would be a good training stimulus and probably tell me a bit about how I'm traveling. I'd appreciate any thoughts/advice.

#20 777jsc

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:36 PM

Invergowrie - Iíve done Pfitzinger many times and it got me sub 3 in Melbourne so youíre definitely on track with the runs youíve been banking. For me the most important runs were the MP and midweek long runs, they really helped build endurance and confidence for those last 10ks. I wouldnít worry too much about the tune ups if thereís nothing suitable locally, they can help with sharpness but you still need to be getting in a decent long run the following day. Iíve substituted them before with a fast finish long run: 5-10k at MP after 25-30k steady. If you can manage these (and they are mentally as well as physically tough) as well as the long run with 23k@MP, then I think youíll smash your target. If you want to go to Port Macquarie, I would run the half hard and with minimal taper to see where you are and set your target marathon pace. I did Sydney half (5 weeks before Melbourne) in 1:24 which was a good marker. Final advice is the Pfitzinger taper is still fairly high mileage, I always drop the mileage a lot more in the final week but depends what works for you. Good luck in Canberra, hope the weather is kind!

#21 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for the advice 777jsc, good to get the voice of experience. I've been finding running the midweek long runs on tired legs is really helping with endurance. I think I'll ditch the tune-up race idea, it's just too hard. Just to clarify, are you suggesting do the fast finish long run Saturday followed by programmed long run Sunday, or change the Sunday long run into a fast finish long run? I'm guessing the latter, not sure I could cope with 2 x 30km days in a row. I'll see how I'm going closer to the date, and if I feel like racing I'll head to Port Macquarie and try the half.

The marathon pace running has been going well so far, I've been able to complete 16km at goal pace in a 29km run, so hopefully will be able to stretch that out to 23km in a month or so.

#22 777jsc

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

Yep make the Sat an easy run and then hit out on the Sun. Another variation of the fast finish is to do 3x5km at +5s/at target MP/-5s with 1k float in between, gives you a good idea of what should be your true MP. You may already be doing this but do your long runs on a hilly route as Canberra is pretty undulating. If you can fit all these in then sub 3 is a there for the taking.

#23 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:40 PM

Awesome, thanks for the advice!

#24 Maffrew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:05 PM

Yup, 777sc is completely right. It's perfectly fine in Pfitz to race on the Sunday (in fact if I remember rightly he actually says that in the book, if you are just using the plan without the book, I recommend it - good read), you just have an easy saturday and tweak Mon/Tues/Wed a little to ensure recovery. I did Pfitz in 2013 before Sydney which was my first marathon and raced several times in the 18 weeks quite successfully. I probably overdid it if anything and raced too often!

#25 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:33 AM

10 weeks to go, and another good week of training done.

Did a 24km medium-long on Wed. Friday was 19km with the last 10 at threshold pace. I finished the 10km bang on 40mins. Today's long run stretched out to 36km, it probably felt a bit easier than last week's 32km and average pace was a bit quicker as well. 132km for the week in total.

Next week's long run is 29km with last 19km at goal marathon pace, that will be a very good tester.

Interested to know whether anyone takes food, gels or electrolytes on normal long runs? My normal long runs I do before breakfast and only ever take water. When I'm doing a fast-finish or marathon pace run I take gels and electrolytes to practice for race day. It makes a long run like today a real slog towards the end when I've used all glycogen stores, but I figure it's training my body to use fat for fuel. Does anyone else do it differently?

#26 JXT

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:43 AM

Invergowrie - 10 weeks out and it looks like youíre killing.

I have a coffee before all morning runs but nothing to eat. But I run at 3:30-4:00am so Iím probably still fueled from dinner the evening before.
If Iím doing a long run with MP sections, Iíll take a couple of gels for practice. I donít take anything (not even water) during any other run.
My key long runs with MP are 37km built around 5x5km at MP, and 38km with the last 20 at MP.

Iíve almost certainly pulled the pin on Boston/Canberra. My running has been very inconsistent and if I try to cram for an April race Iím likely to get injured again. Will try to refocus for Western Sydney in June.

#27 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:14 PM

Wow JXT.  Not even water!  Most of my weekly runs are done with only a banana before I start (even up to 30k with a tempo section).  They start sometime between 4:15 and 5:30 so there is probably some energy left over from the evening meal.  I always take water with me and drink a lot (maybe it's the Queensland weather).  On my long run day I have brekky first and don't eat anything on the run except for when I do a long fast run.  For a long fast run (normally 30k or more at race pace or with long race pace sections) I'll use some gels.

It's a shame you won't make it to Boston or Canberra JXT.  Hope your running mojo returns soon.

#28 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:32 AM

Thanks guys, appreciate the info, always good to compare notes. I can go without water for up to an hour but don't think I'd last much beyond that. I'll probably stick with what I'm doing as it sounds pretty normal.

Shame I won't meet you at Canberra JXT, but sounds like you're making the right decision. No sense going into a marathon half-baked or taking injury risks and June isn't too far away.

#29 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:59 AM

Another good week, it's so good to be able to get in such consistent training. Key workouts were a medium-long on Wed (24km) and Fri (21km), and today's goal pace workout which was 30km with the last 20km at goal pace. I managed to finish the goal pace segment at average pace 4:12/km. Total of 130km for the week.

Looks like next week is a down week with a bit of a drop in volume. Surprisingly I don't feel like I need it, but given the week after is the highest volume week of this training block I'll just go with it.

9 weeks to go!

Hope your training is going well.

#30 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:41 AM

Bit of a setback this week. After last Sunday's goal pace workout I had some heel pain which got worse as the day went on. Had to take a couple of days off, then when I ran again the symptoms returned so took another day off on Thursday before resuming Friday and a visit to the physio. Turned out to be plantar fasciitis from losing some ankle mobility so they mobilised it and gave me some exercises to work on. I'm OK to keep running but need to manage the load.

Fortunately it was a planned down week so no key workouts missed, only managed about 55km for the week with a long run of 25km today. Feeling quite tender now, it could be a long few weeks of rehab but at least I know what I'm dealing with and I'm getting better at managing through niggles. Probably time to bring replacement shoes into the rotation, my easy/long run shoes have done almost 1000km so probably a bit overdue for a change.

#31 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 03:37 PM

JXT - last year you were using skipping a lot in your marathon training.  Do you use a speed rope or a weighted one?  Are there any specific skipping workouts you do?

I'm thinking of adding in a bit of skipping as cross training and figure you must be doing it right based off your marathon result :)

Edited by HeadlampRunner, 10 March 2019 - 03:37 PM.

#32 JXT

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:18 PM

HeadlampRunner - yep, lots of skipping in last yearís training. All done with a speed rope and usually on Mondays which were my day off from running. Usually it was just a straight hour (up to 1:15) while I watched my daughterís netball training.
Sometimes Iíd incorporate skipping with stairs - 15 minutes skipping, 15 minutes stair sprinting, repeat twice.

#33 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:05 PM

Thanks JXT.  I'll get a rope and see how I go.

#34 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:19 AM

If it's going to happen for me this year it won't be at Canberra unfortunately. Been battling through plantar fasciitis on the right and achilles tendinosis on the left. Finally starting to improve, but I'm still not able to run consecutive days and limited to 30mins or so at the moment. I haven't decided yet if I'll just do it as a training run or not at all, but I've missed too much training to aim for a fast time.

So my focus now switches to UTA50 in May, then I'll think about whether I'll have a go at Sydney or Melbourne.

#35 JXT

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 01:04 PM

Invergowrie - what a shame, you were killing it. Hopefully UTA goes well and then you can get back into marathon training.

My running has been very up and down - 110km one week, 40 the next. Just canít keep the focus. Canberra is definitely gone but Iím struggling to get it together for Western Sydney in June.
Iím not sure what the solution is. Maybe I donít have it in me anymore, which feels very indulgent and selfish as Iím healthy and not injured. Iíve often been injured or unwell, and all I wanted was good health so I could train. Hmm.

#36 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:57 AM

Turns out the achilles tendinosis was a bit more serious and I've had to take quite a few weeks off. When the inflammation wouldn't subside the physio suggested a cortisone injection which I had 3 weeks ago and this week started a graduated return to running with some 30min walk/jogs.

I'll take the recovery very easy for now and focus on rehab work, lots of strength work to do and I've been keeping myself busy with cycling and elliptical so hopefully the fitness won't take too long to return when the body is ready for it.

I'm now thinking about Melbourne Marathon, should leave plenty of time to recover and hopefully get back in shape by October, but I'll just see how the recovery goes before I get too excited...

#37 Maffrew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:04 PM

View PostInvergowrie, on 26 April 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

Turns out the achilles tendinosis was a bit more serious and I've had to take quite a few weeks off. When the inflammation wouldn't subside the physio suggested a cortisone injection which I had 3 weeks ago and this week started a graduated return to running with some 30min walk/jogs.

I'll take the recovery very easy for now and focus on rehab work, lots of strength work to do and I've been keeping myself busy with cycling and elliptical so hopefully the fitness won't take too long to return when the body is ready for it.

I'm now thinking about Melbourne Marathon, should leave plenty of time to recover and hopefully get back in shape by October, but I'll just see how the recovery goes before I get too excited...

As someone who in 2016 had achilles tendopathy in both sides and ended up missing a marathon and having 3 months off, I feel your pain. Definitely a bummer. You'll pull that fitness back though, just take it easy.

#38 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:30 PM

It's been a while since I checked in.  I hope your injury has subsided Invergowrie, and that you've rediscovered your running mojo JXT.

I've tried to mix in some skipping training and confirmed that I am a rubbish skipper.  I've decided to use it just to keep my heart rate up during my strength work.  This year's build to GCM is very different for me.  My weekly totals are about 140k or less (about 10 to 20k less than last year).  Mainly because I'm working from home most of the time.  That tends to reduce my running commutes :)  I've also been travelling for work about once a month to Singleton in NSW.  I can't find a running track with lights down there so I've been doing some fartlek style training wearing my headlamp instead of intervals when I'm there.  I've been doing more long runs with marathon pace sections than last time and my strength work is more consistent.

To be honest I don't know if I'm better prepared than this time last year.  I do know there's less than 8 weeks left and touch wood I'm feeling ok.

#39 JXT

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:49 AM

^ Pretty much back with the running mojo. Not being super structured in my training but been above 100km a week for the last nine (including one at 138) and have 10 30km-plus runs in the bank (including a 38 with the last 7km at sub-3 hour pace).
Iím probably good for a 2:55-2:58 at the moment - and Iíd be happy with that. Would like to run Western Sydney on June 1, but Iím in South Australia the day before testing a race car, so Iíll probably be too sore to run. Back up plan is a charity marathon in early July.
I leave for Morocco two days after the July race and will get back with eight weeks until Sydney. I think thatís the plan for the year.

#40 Maffrew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

Plenty of running happening for you guys then! My family and I are settling here in WA after having moved to Albany in the middle of March. Living in a holiday let until we move into the house we're buying in 4 weeks, looking forward to it! I am finally feeling more myself after a really shitty 18 months health wise and seem to be finding more of an ability to train. Some fitness is following so hopefully I can stay on that train. Need to lose some spare tire weight as I am up at about 77kg and haven't weight that since I actually started running 10 years ago!

#41 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:59 PM

Good to hear you're on the comeback trail Maffrew.  I know I've missed your updates.

#42 Invergowrie

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:48 PM

Great to hear that things are improving Maffrew and sounds like you're getting in some good training JXT. I'm still on the recovery journey, it's been a frustrating couple of months. Hopefully getting on top of things, but sometimes it feels like 2 steps forward 1 step back. Back for another physio visit on Tuesday, hoping for some good news but I can feel there is still some way to go...

#43 Maffrew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:54 PM

Thanks guys. I dipped back into some racing today at the Elleker 10K, a local event put on by the running club here in town. It's pretty small but this was the 24th year so it's pretty established among the community. I ran 37:11 for second place, which I was really quite happy with. I've got a long way to go to get back to my better running, but I've regained some fitness, enough to run a half decent 10 and am at a good place to build further.

#44 TCMB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 03:13 PM

Great to hear Matt - hope you enjoy your new surrounds.
Could be a while before we catch up for a run....

#45 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:29 PM

Here's the short story:
Hard day at Gold Coast Marathon today.
Conditions were windy (about 20k/hr) and there was a hard shower to wake us all up at the start line. There was a gentle shower a bit later but I'd call that pleasant and cooling.
I went out too hard and got home in 2:45 and a bit.

Long story:
I woke up this morning after a shocking sleep.  When I got to the race precinct I probably spent a little too long talking with some fellow racers.  I had a quick warm up and then the rain gently started.  By the time i was in the starting box it chucked it down.  I moved to the left where the trees provided a little shelter... Unfortunately I stepped in the gutter and soaked my left shoe.  Once we started the rain eased.  Luckily I stepped in a puddle about 1k in so I evened up the wetness of my socks.
At about a km before the 8k(ish) drink stop I took a gel thinking the water table was just around the corner.  Unfortunately it stole all the moisture in my mouth and made me cough... The tickle in my throat didn't leave until about three stops later.
My original aim was even splits until 30k and then I would pick it up.  The wind had a bit of animpact on that.
I found it very lonely going south from the start.  There were few people to hide behind and when I pulled in behind them they all seemed to slow.  I Said a  rude word under my breath and picked up the pace,figuring I'd just gut it out in the wind on my own.  Dumb move.  I was on pace until about 25kms but slowed gradually from then on.  At about 30kms the wheels were off.  I knew my goal time - 2:40 was off the cards and did some dodgy marathon maths and thought I would get around 2:48.  I refused to give up and tried to pick up my pace again.  Most of the people I had decided against running behind had passed me by then.  The wind was in my face again and I was well and truly gutting it out.  At about 40kms I did the (much simpler) maths and figured I might be able to squeek in under 2:45.  Unfortunately my legs weren't quite up to it and I missed it by about 20 seconds.
Overall I'm happy with my result given the circumstances.  I think if I'd paced more sensibly I would have come in around 2:43ish.  I guess we'll never know.
I've  got blisters on two toes on each foot and my left calf is quite stiff (it's always the first thing to get grumpy at me).  Other than that I've come out of it fine.  I should be able to go for a short run Tuesday and start my proper running recovery from then.
The big learning is that I shouldn't be an idiot.  Wait for the 100m to go to the drink stop sign before taking a gel.  If its windy find someone to hide behind and don't smash yourself.

#46 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:44 PM

Congrats man, thatís awesome.  Life pooped on you and you still came out with a cracking time.

Was it humid up there?  Sitting down here in Hobart watching the livestream it looked sweaty and gross.  At the time it was about 4 degrees but still and no rain.  Wish I could have sent our perfect running weather up to you!

#47 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:26 PM

Darg75 thanks.  It was a rough day out (partly due to poor decisions on my behalf), but I'm happy I made the most of it.

I didn't notice the humidity, but a few people mentioned it afterwards.  I was tipping water over my head at regular intervals, so I probably wasn't a good judge of that.  It did sprinkle part of the way through.  I remember thinking it was pleasantly cooling.  The road was wet most of the way so the humidity should have been up there.  About 10 or 20 minutes after I crossed the line it warmed up a lot so any runners getting home after about 3 hours or so would have been impacted by the heat and I assume humidity.

heat and humidity is always a factor at Gold Coast... Even on a cold day.

#48 Maffrew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:46 PM

Well done Headlamp. 2:45 is a good run and most people will lose some time even on a good day, never mind a windy one.

#49 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:42 AM

Great result Headlamp Runner.
Really strong running to dig in through that.

#50 HeadlampRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:29 AM

Thanks guys.
I'm still marking that one down as a success.  Now I know I can dig really deep.  I'll be a bit more hungry for a faster result next year.. And hopefully a little smarter.  I just took a look at my splits.  I lost 5 minutes in the last half.  Probably most of that was after the 32k mark.  So I was ahead of my goal at half way... Even after running into the wind.  A bunch of silly mistakes on my behalf, but I managed to not pay too dearly for them by digging deep.
Already looking forward to next year