5 replies to this topic

#1 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:33 PM

Sorry if such a thread already exists but I could not find one for general doping discussions.

Came across this on Twitter. I find it very sad to read that more runners take banned substances.

https://www.insideth...-integrity-unit

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Stej

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:34 PM

Says the ban is for using morphine.  Is this performance enhancing?   If it is performance enhancing is it in a way that other (non-banned) painkillers are not?

#3 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:07 PM

As far as I know, and Iím not very clued up on drugs a d try to avoid them as much as possible, morphine is much more effective in masking pain than your every day paracetamol.
And if you donít feel as much pain in a race you can push yourself more.
Itís not about this particurunber. They also mentioned other runners which serve a doping ban. And I hope itís not going to be a trend.

#4 Stej

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

With elite sporting heroes there is always a bit of doubt in the back of my mind when I see an extraordinary performance.  On the other hand I have some everyday sporting heroes whose efforts while not elite are extraordinary in their own way.

#5 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:59 PM

^ agree!
I also have a bit of a doubt if someone breaks a record and hope that the person is/was clean.
And totally agree. There are many others out there who are extraordinary in what they do even if not elite.

#6 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:44 PM

I would like that one too Jindalee if I hadn't just run out of likes again.  I think about it this way. Why would anyone want to live with the thought that there performance wasn't on its merits, but was enhanced in some way. Anything that is taken that masks pain, or improves performance has some sort of negative effect on your body. If you can feel the pain, and push harder, then that is going to be doing damage and will catch up with you somewhere down the line. If something is being taken that makes it possible for a person to perform above their natural ability, then that has to have some negative effect down the line somewhere as well. Its no surprise when you hear about athletes from 20 to 30yrs ago, that have suddenly died, or had heart attacks when they are only mid life and supposed to be healthy. You wonder if they died young because of something they took, to win that title or medal, if it was worth it. Wouldn't they rather have been playing with their grand kids into an old age, rather than be in a box in the ground with their medal in some crusty of museum?? I guess I never understand taking drugs. But I am a person who wont even take Panadol. Cant remember the last time I took Panadol. If my body is hurting somewhere, then its doing so so that I will listen to it. Not so I will just mask what it is saying and carry on regardless, and suffer for that later.