• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 bobbys

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:22 PM

I was listening to the most recent Marathon Talk podcast and they mentioned that most of the recent fast times (in fact I think all) have been run with the VaporFlys. It started with Berlin last year and since then, most runners winning or even finishing in top 5 are in the shoes. In some cases, runners have knocked off 5 minutes from their previous best times.

The following article makes for interesting reading.

http://www.letsrun.c...-all-time-list/

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Stej

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:37 PM

"adidas athlete Herpassa Negasa ran his huge PB wearing Nike Vaporflys"

Well, that must have made adidas a happy sponsor!

#3 Sub17ParkRun

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:16 PM

Eluid Kipchoge's epic run in Breaking 2 project in 2:00:xx. A year later he set official marathon WR in Berlin 18' in 2:01:xx. Both of Eluid's  runs were in Nike Vaporfly.

#4 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:10 PM

Are they really that good a shoe that you get impressive results? If so - might need some and I can break 3:30.... Somehow I don't think the effect on us mere plodders (well myself anyway) will be the same.

#5 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:21 PM

We can't get the same version as worn by the Breaking2 runners.
Perhaps they will recoup their R&D through building the hype.
Kipchoge almost breaks 2hrs twice.
More runners buy the street model.
If they made the performance model available say to all athletes who had broken the Olympic qualifier, that would be a few hundred athletes.
(In 2012, 278 Kenyan athletes had met the standard).
Makes it more likely the barrier will be broken in those shoes.
Then introduce the features to the mass production one.
(I reckon Kipchoge was close enough so would have pumped out the shoes. Maybe it's about building technology reputation and making elite feel special).

Adidas seemed to be the shoe de rigeur for awhile. Overtaken? Yes, what makes this one so good/better?
I wonder if it is adapatable to many foot types and can be raced in out of the box, or whether it needs to be phased in if using other makes and models.

#6 DrinksRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:12 AM

I Have a pair now, but havent ran in them yet will wait until im in better shape and for a race..
They were on nike website a few weeks ago, but I got mine from local running store as he arranged to get them almost 12 months ago. As I wanted them for Canberra last year as thought they might have helped go sub 3.

If you listen to inside running they all rave about the vapor flys and they are sub/elite aussie athletes.
Carbon plate is supposed to make legs feel a bit fresher in last few kms of marathon somehow.

Posted Image

#7 DrinksRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:22 AM

There is only size 6,7,8 left now
https://www.nike.com...70Kg/AJ3857-600

#8 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:41 AM

Interesting table, perhaps Vaporfly 4% is for the masses and the Elite and other versions in that table are extremely limited editions.
And of course a number of wins and slick times in the Vaporfly 4% version.
Checked the link, only a 4.2 star rating!
Shoes don't always suit everyone- a podcast interviewing Mal Norwood said he had been working for Nike in their early days here sending out latest releases.
Apparently one was great for the whippets but not the Clydesdales, who were returning lots of the shoes.
They had to do a bit of re-education at the stores pleading that they sold to people meeting their specs (prevent injuries, prevent unhappy runners, and to try to get a foothold in Australia).

#9 DrinksRunner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:30 PM

The difference with the vapor fly is that it is a chunky racing flat still light, so heavier people tend to do better in that than traditional racing flats who only whippets can use, especially as you go over longer distances..

#10 Stej

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:19 PM

If the shoe is a genuine technological improvement (or perhaps even if just people think it is) you can bet it will be essentially copied by the other shoe manufacturers (with a few points of arguable difference to avoid getting sued for IP infringement).

I hope Nike bring back the waffle trainer.  I like waffles.  Just sayin.

#11 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:05 PM

Yes, the carbon plate will become a graphite plate, or a carbon bowl.

#12 Road Runner

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:34 PM

Not sure if a separate post is needed, but I was wondering when Nike's ZoomX Vaporfly Next% is going to be available in Australia - and will it be available to the masses?  I see the 4% is available on Nike's website, but unfortunately (in this case!), my foot's too big - I take a size 14 US

#13 Bizi

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 02:42 PM

Hi veryCoolRunner, while looking for the release of the next version of the Nike Zoom Fly Flyknit (Zoom Fly 3?) I noticed The Iconic had a splash about the ZoomX Vaporfly Next%. Seems to be a piece of advertising for SneakerFreaker instead of a promo for stocking the item in future.

It was just a news item from May, without any local detail or pricing:
https://www.theiconi...s-fastest-news/

Still nothing online yet in Australia about any of the upcoming fly / vaporfly range. Too bad you're just one size too large for the Vaporfly4%: if it was only a half size it could be worth trying and returning within 30 days, since (at least for the Zoom Fly Flymesh) the upper stretches somewhat after a week of running.

#14 Sub17ParkRun

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:50 PM

Nike Vaporfly 4% and Zoom Fly are more designed as race day only shoes. For Nike  neutral trainers: look at Nike Vomero 14, Nike Pegasus 36 or the Nike Epic React 2 For stability  trainer shoes look at Nike Zoom Structure  22 or Nike Odyssey React. Nike Free, Nike Legend React and Nike Winflow 5 are also worth considering.