8 replies to this topic

#1 BogFrog

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:02 AM

I have rather suddenly developed a pain on the outside of my foot on the top/side (not bottom) around the tarsometatarsal joint of the last metatarsal - so much so I had to limp walk back to the car today after my run.  The foot was sore initially to start, but I put that down to PF and some whining tendons / ligaments due to the way I've been walking on the foot to avoid the PF pain.  The pain eased and went away during my run only to return a vengeance at the end - suddenly.

So symptoms are...  Ok to stand on.  Don't feel any throbbing or pain whilst sitting.  Doesn't hurt to palpate the area.  Pain when I try to roll my foot through a normal walking motion - i.e. push off - if I take small steps it doesn't hurt.  If I point my toes inwards and walk on the outside of the foot it doesn't hurt.  Any ideas?

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Davinator

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:24 AM

I think it is PF related. There was some recent research from UQld discussed on CR that looked at the role of the PF.
Initial conclusion was it's related to the push off phase. Perhaps in your case the side of the foot is from working to stabilise lateral movement.
Pain at start/finish but not always while running is also common to achilles issues.
Disclaimer: Not a health professional, I just read stuff.

#3 Stej

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:35 AM

A lot of the spots I break down in I am now familiar with the symptoms.  If it is an all new pain or symptom of sufficient severity I will get it checked by a professional.  That is what I would recommend.  

The spot at the base of the 5th metatarsal is a common spot for a stress fracture - and not a very nice one as at least parts of the base of the 5th MT are not well served by a blood supply and so take longer to heal.  Jones fracture territory.  Hopefully not but I reckon worth getting checked in general.

#4 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:33 PM

Because I'm a very impatient person, I hate not knowing, I was working from home today and there happened to be a spot open at the physios, I managed to get there today.  Physio says it's likely to be an inflammatory condition due to an impingement between two small bones in my foot.  Impingement has been caused by favouring the outside of my foot due to the PF.  The foot is now taped which is helping a lot, and anti-inflammatories have been consumed.  I can attempt a run a Sunday.  If pain is still there, then off for an MRI, but it's a less than 10% chance... :Praying:

#5 Stej

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:54 PM

View PostBogFrog, on 15 February 2019 - 04:33 PM, said:

Physio says it's likely to be an inflammatory condition due to an impingement between two small bones in my foot.  Impingement has been caused by favouring the outside of my foot due to the PF.  

The details person in me wants to know exactly what is being impinged and what is doing the impingement.

Would you try an xray before MRI just as a low cost / no cost option to see if there are any bony growths or bony issues that are apparent?  Though the MRI might also give you an update on how your PF is going.

Yet if you are fixed or getting fixed I suppose that is all that matters.

#6 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:24 PM

The MRI was to rule out or in a stressie - nothing else can do that...  I already know how the PF is going *rolls eyes*
The impingement is around the cuboid / 4th metatarsal...  Probably *some* bone stress there...

#7 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:38 AM

Attempted run/walk fail. Managed 4km but too sore. Amputation?

#8 Stej

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:36 AM

View PostBogFrog, on 16 February 2019 - 09:24 PM, said:

The MRI was to rule out or in a stressie - nothing else can do that...  I already know how the PF is going *rolls eyes*
The impingement is around the cuboid / 4th metatarsal...  Probably *some* bone stress there...

What is being impinged?  Is there soft tissue there to impinge or is it something else?  When I think of impingement I think of soft tissue like in the shoulder or ankle.  Hmmmm.  Sorry, that's probably not helping, just trying to understand.  Still, I think it is established you have a foot ouchy so take care and I hope you "nip it in the bud".  Sending happy thoughts.  :)

Edited by Stej, 17 February 2019 - 11:36 AM.

#9 BogFrog

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:23 PM

Physio thought that the joint capsule was being impinged.  But no MRI confirms stress reaction to plantar aspect of cuboid with tenosynovitis where the peroneal tendon passes over the cuboid.

Edited by BogFrog, 18 February 2019 - 06:33 PM.