BVRT 100sBrisbane Valley Rail Trail 100 (200, 100 & 50 miles along with a marathon)

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 AlunDavies_AAARacing

The artist formally known as TaffTrail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:31 AM

Fourteen weeks away (it'll be here before you know it), the inaugural BVRT 200 will kick off and will coincide with the start of the BVRT 100 at the turnaround point.

Registrations for the 200 are closed (though if you can get your Mum to write a killer note as to why you were late you have a chance) but there's still room in the Miler and other events.

Lots of info here, let us know if there's something missing:
https://www.aaaracin...au/bvrt-100-200
https://www.bvrt100.com.au

Register on-line here

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:38 PM

Thanks Alun.

I've planned to run the 100 miler.

It's my first miler, I've got a training plan set, have looked through the website, but would be interested if anyone has any advice about similar surfaces/trail to train on near the Gold Coast.
(I'm going to struggle to get to the actual course too many time,. Intend to go to the 30km run on 30/3)

I understand it's relatively flat & net downhill.
Normally run in Vibrams, but places like Nerang are a bit tough for me & use "normal" shoes.
I've been training on the track at the Spit, Main beach alot, as a lot of rolling trail, but not really hilly.
In the past I've trained a bit at nerang but would assume it is a bit hilly & really rocky to be similar to BVRT.

Any input from anyone who ran it last year, or has ran on the BVRT, or just has an opinion would be appreciated & welcome as well.

#3 AlunDavies_AAARacing

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:25 PM

View PostSeano, on 07 March 2019 - 08:38 PM, said:

Thanks Alun.

It's my first miler, I've got a training plan set, have looked through the website, but would be interested if anyone has any advice about similar surfaces/trail to train on near the Gold Coast.
(I'm going to struggle to get to the actual course too many time,. Intend to go to the 30km run on 30/3)

Normally run in Vibrams, but places like Nerang are a bit tough for me & use "normal" shoes.
I've been training on the track at the Spit, Main beach alot, as a lot of rolling trail, but not really hilly.
In the past I've trained a bit at nerang but would assume it is a bit hilly & really rocky to be similar to BVRT.

Any input from anyone who ran it last year, or has ran on the BVRT, or just has an opinion would be appreciated & welcome as well.

It's my personal opinion that Vibrams would not be up to  it.  It's not as rocky underfoot as some sections of Nerang, not by a long way, but there are plenty of sections with heavy grade gravel that you might certainly feel after a spell.  Having said that, I don't personally believe that Vibrams should be a choice for any significant distance but if they work for you, all good :)

#4 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:00 PM

View PostAlunDavies_AAARacing, on 27 March 2019 - 06:25 PM, said:

View PostSeano, on 07 March 2019 - 08:38 PM, said:

Thanks Alun.

It's my personal opinion that Vibrams would not be up to  it.  It's not as rocky underfoot as some sections of Nerang, not by a long way, but there are plenty of sections with heavy grade gravel that you might certainly feel after a spell.  Having said that, I don't personally believe that Vibrams should be a choice for any significant distance but if they work for you, all good :)
Thanks Alun.

I ran the Moore - Toolgoolawah section yesterday.
Got a bit of a bruise at the moment from smacking my foot a few weeks ago.
Wore socks as well as Vibrams.
Noticed it a bit maybe around 20km in, roughly, but otherwise pretty good.
But it could well be a different story after 20 hours, particularly if there are rougher sections than what I ran on!

#5 Seano

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:11 PM

Arrived in Yarraman Friday night with Fiona - wife & crew - for the weekend (she will stay on as wife pending outcome of crewing)
Stayed in minimal but comfy local motel & went to pub for dinner.
After months of no caffeine, no wheat no sugar, all care diet, ended up in pub which according to Trip adviser had a wide array of vegetarian cuisine. Turns out this isn’t exactly the case. So ended up with a hearty pre race vegetarian pizza. It was actually pretty good quality though.
Met some Taswegians who were there looking to do (finish) their first milers as well.

Anyway, slept, not much, maybe 3-4 hours, got up around 3pm & started reading as couldn’t sleep.
Got to start line, listened to briefing, grabbed a cup of tea & had a bit of a walk inside the yarraman Heritage Centre, which was warmer as well.
It was close enough to 1 degree at the start line & predicted to stay cold for around 3 – 4 hours, so I started in 4 layers on top & just shorts.
The gun started & we took off, slowly.
There was a turn off onto the trail that many lead runners missed. We yelled to them so they could turn around. So these guys were passing us over the next little bit.
Some of them were flying. I was sure faster than 5min K’s.

Settled into a pace early on & by my great fortune ran into a guy I met 5 years ago at Glasshouse.
He was probably going a bit slower than I would have run, and as we started talking I settled into a pace that was his pace, hopefully. We talked for a few hours & that steady start really helped set up my day. I’m sure I would have started too quickly if I hadn’t met him.

After about 20km I started feeling warmed up & fairly good, so steadily started making headway.
Peeled off the layers and could run in just a singlet now.
Passed the Tassie boys at around 50K ish. They both were grimacing a bit.
I felt pretty good still.

Got to aid station 3, which was at about 70km. I was quite surprised to be feeling this good. Unfortunately (more stupidity than bad luck, actually)  I’d run out of water leading up to this, so had to take some time to refill water & catch up some drinking.
Approaching Esk, I must have been too pre-occupied with looking for the Kransky Sisters, as I inexplicably ran off the trail & got lost in town, on the wrong side of the road.
Ended up wasting a fair chunk of time, probably around an hour and 5km’s, before finally finding the checkpoint 4, at around 95km, which had my gear for night time, including thermals & hi vis vest.
My support crew, aka, Fiona, was starting what would be a long night from here.
Eventually got going out of Esk, with a cup of green tea & some direction from the super helpful aid station.
It took me a few goes & quite a little while to refind the trail unfortunately.
My lighting was really poor & this is compounded by me poor eyesight & having lost my prescription glasses leading up to the race.
The bulk of the trail from here was pretty straight forward, however there were still spots I needed to stop & look around.
Also, my light being bad made it easier to fall, as I couldn’t see the ground properly.
As the night wore on, the fog from my breath further compromised my vision.
Anyway, eventually found the trail & started plodding along.
Had grabbed some Heed from the checkpoint after running out of electrolyes & God it tasted GOOD.
Settled into a 3km cycle of walking for 500m to 1000m of walking drinking & eating followed by 2Km of running.
With two thermal tops on, one thermal pants, this seemed to keep my temperature bobbing between nearly too warm & nearly too cold. Had gloves on, & buff & beanie on head as well.
At some stage past 100km, it occurred to me that this was the furtherest I’d ever been & how surprisingly good I felt considering.
Made  it to about 120km and checkpoint 5. I don’t recall feeling tired, or up, or down or cold or anything! Fiona did a great job on getting my stuff to me, offering me things. The checkpoint staff, as all the checkpoints at the race, were excellent as well.  I think I pretty much just swapped my drink bottles, dumped my rubbish. Maybe I had a cup of tea here.
I took Heed & Coke & water here but decided to drink only the Coke as didn’t like the idea of mixing these two.
At this point I started taking caffeine, which I hadn’t consumed for 2 weeks leading up to the event.
At some stage tripped & fell in the penultimate stage. This could have been due to dragging feet, which can happen when your electrolytes get low, but major cause I think was my poor really lighting. I was just running the gauntlet a bit as simply couldn’t clearly see the ground. I actually scuffed rocks ground heavily twice whilst walking, which would have been falls, most likely if I was running.

Got to the last aid station, about 23km from the end. Not feeling that bad considering.
Grabbed a tiny bit of delicious Potato & leek soup, which was awesome fare. Took some coke, but just ended up drinking water from here on in.
Realised I had left my gloves at aid station, about a few hundred metres from aid station, & I thought stuff it, I’m not going back. So went on without them. It would have been close to 1 degree at this stage.
Surprisingly this didn’t seem to matter than much.
I did pull the thermals over my fingers for most of the time, & that seemed to be enough.
Last section, I just really ground it out. Came upon more 50 mile entrants who were hiking the event as I went along. They were all in great spirits. One told me the last 5km was on pavement.

I got to the end which turned back into surburbia. It was about 2am & there was a sign that directed us down a street. I followed it to the end a few hundred metres maybe, & the road ended. The road turned to the left, but there was no sign indicating a turn there. The right went into what looked like a private grounds. Anyway, I walked back & forth up the road for about 15 mins, until I realised the grounds were the Ipswich Grammar School , where the race finished. (The clue I missed was the massive sign on the gate saying IPSWICH GRAMMARSCHOOL)

Relieved to quietly cross the finish line & then disappear into a surprisingly warm building to sit down & have a cup of sugary tea.
There were a few sleeping bodies & some smiling faces & 6-8 finishers.
I think in future, I may try to sleep here if it is possible. Would be a nice way to finish up, if you were set up to sleep, apart from no hot showers.
I really enjoyed this as my first miler & thought it was a great race, really well organised with friendly, competent check points.
The crew of other competitors were constantly helpful & looking after other runners. I was constantly being asked if I needed water, coke, food, anything in between the aid stations. (There were points you could legally access your runner)
Getting lost was by and large my fault & responsibility. (It was daylight for goodness sakes!)

Edited by Seano, 29 June 2019 - 04:56 PM.

#6 AndyP

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:07 AM

Well done, Seano. Thanks for sharing.

#7 AlunDavies_AAARacing

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:35 PM

Yep, sorry about the showers.  No hot water other than the geyser (not what was planned) and we found out later that the showers in the adjacent building had been opened.  Great run, Sean!