veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:20 AM

Oops I did it again
Posted Image

My registration is completed so kicking of the 2019 thread.

I hope the very cool super mum Sinead Diver is back to defend her win last year.  One of my favorite parts of Melbourne is when I hit Beaconsfield Parade along the beach having the leaders running back past us. I cheered her and others leaders last year not knowing her amazing yarn at that point. If Lavinia Petrie came along for her pending world record this year it would be cool.

Registration now open.

Only 3 more  for me to get the spartan gig :) I'll top 20 long runs this year.  I am doing Great Ocean Road and probably Shep or Traralgon before October and Portland and Lilydale to tone the year down later. I am such a novice compared to Eagle, Lavinia  and Sharon Scholz and many of you :)

Have fun whatever your goal, pace or distances are. I think and feel we are very lucky to be able to run and see so many amazing and inspiring people while enjoying it.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:41 PM

Sadly I had a bit of a bingle. Driver failed to give way. Broken leg, pelvis, ribs, T1 T2 and a few minor facial fractures. Leg was fixed with a pole in the bone I can stand on already. No weight bearing on the other leg untill the pelvis repairs set for 30  days and no impact exercises for a while after that.

I am really good and looking forward to running a Marathon at the end of 2019 Portland or Lilydale probably.  Zero pain after the operation to fix my pelvis.

Rehab for a few weeks includes a physio who will do her first MM thus year. My spartan dream back a year- C est la vie

#3 claudicles

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:00 PM

Bugger NavyDiver! I hope your recovery goes quickly. It is rotten when something you have no control over like that wipes you out for a while.

#4 Eagle

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:09 AM

NavyB - WHAT !!!

Glad your are on the mend and looking positive to the next run.

#5 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:52 PM

Sorry mate, what a bugger, hope you have a good recovery.

Hopefully see you at Lilydale in November.

#6 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:45 AM

Off topic - Robert W, I look like making Lilydale this year after being on the radar for a few years and then dropping off.

#7 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:46 PM

Hi Eagle, Look forward to seeing you there, its a nice run on the rail trail through the Yarra ranges.

#8 dadagain

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:48 AM

Wow NavyD - thats sounds pretty nasty. Hope your recovery is speedy, but dont rush back to running too soon.

I'm finally getting confidence back that I might be able to get back to proper running and build my mileage and fitness back up after what has been close to 6 months off and before that about 6 months of fatigue effected running. I'm daring to wonder if I can target Melbourne for the half marathon to give me something to aim for. I'll give it a couple more weeks and re-assess how I feel.

#9 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:49 PM

View PostNavyDiverJB, on 20 July 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

Sadly I had a bit of a bingle. Driver failed to give way. Broken leg, pelvis, ribs, T1 T2 and a few minor facial fractures. Leg was fixed with a pole in the bone I can stand on already. No weight bearing on the other leg untill the pelvis repairs set for 30  days and no impact exercises for a while after that.

I am really good and looking forward to running a Marathon at the end of 2019 Portland or Lilydale probably.  Zero pain after the operation to fix my pelvis.

Rehab for a few weeks includes a physio who will do her first MM thus year. My spartan dream back a year- C est la vie

Crikey, that's just awful.

Especially for someone who obviously values health and fitness.

Yeah as others have mentioned, don't rush the recovery. Be particularly watchful of the pelvic injury.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

#10 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:14 PM

^^Just saw your above post about your accident NavyDiver. Boy, thats nasty, but i guess it could have been even worse! As others above have mentioned, best of wishes for a good recovery..

#11 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:40 AM

Good news is I have talked several people into trying 1/2 or full runs at Melbourne in my incessant running chatter with very cool Physios.

I am in a Rehab hospital in Donvale until I can climb stairs. Review on Friday was a bit of a bummer as I hoped to be allowed to weight bare this week. I am walking in the deep water now. X-rays in two weeks to see if I can dry land that and get home.

My yarn about a very very cool Lilydale 1/2 Lady who brought her kids with her last year ( he is 60+) has a few of the more senior people here for Rehab considering it as well.

#12 Stej

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:06 PM

Sadly I had a bit of a bingle. Driver failed to give way. Broken leg, pelvis, ribs, T1 T2 and a few minor facial fractures...

"Bit of a bingle", in the running for CR understatement of the year.  Ouch!  Sorry to hear of this.  Were you driving, cycling, running, ?, when the incident occurred?  Best wishes for your recovery.

#13 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:18 PM

View PostStej, on 29 July 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

Sadly I had a bit of a bingle. Driver failed to give way. Broken leg, pelvis, ribs, T1 T2 and a few minor facial fractures...

"Bit of a bingle", in the running for CR understatement of the year.  Ouch!  Sorry to hear of this.  Were you driving, cycling, running, ?, when the incident occurred?  Best wishes for your recovery.
1999 Honda CBR 600. It had carburetors. I loved it.  Pace a lot faster than my treddly

#14 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:57 PM

Hey Navy, I知 rattled to read that post from 20th July.  I知 glad you池e ok.  All the best for a speedy recovery.

#15 Maton12

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:26 PM

All the best for a full and speedy recovery NavyDiverJB

#16 RunningSurfer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 03:57 PM

Speedy recovery NavyDiver - although it seems you mindset needs no help from me!

#17 DESTINATION_43

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:07 AM

Just logged on for the first time in about 12 months and sorry to hear of your crash/bam/wallop NavyDiverJB > and here's me worrying about a 2013 Audi that I bought in April which blew up in Bendigo (750km from home) just 15 days after ownership.

101 days without a car and I get the mongrel dog of a thing back tomorrow!

Anyhow Melbourne this year will be #9 with a best of 3:14.35 and a slowest of 3:56.38

#18 mick_runs

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:44 PM

Hey All, I'm a newbie to the forum and running.

I've only been running 9 months but have decided to run the full marathon.
So far 4 Half Mara's completed and my train for the full is basically a Half Mara or more every week.
This shit is getting real.
My goal.... is to just complete it.

#19 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:13 PM

mick_runs
Welcome. Yes the first goal is to finish and anything after that is a bonus. Yes wishes wit the training.

#20 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:35 PM

^^^A new member! Great stuff! Welcome and best of luck. Please let us know how you go, and i hope you continue to run afterwoods and hang around. Just enjoy the first one. You will get a great sense of achievement and learn lots for your next one!!

#21 Katz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:01 AM

Peeps and homies, hello.

Will be in Melbs for another event and have decided to do the half while there. The 10k was my first big city event all those years ago. Looking forward to coming back and doing another one. Shame there isn't the same level of CR involvement as there once was. Post race drinks at Transport while watching the marathoners come home was the best!

#22 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:18 PM

View PostKatz, on 12 August 2019 - 08:01 AM, said:

Peeps and homies, hello.

Will be in Melbs for another event and have decided to do the half while there. The 10k was my first big city event all those years ago. Looking forward to coming back and doing another one. Shame there isn't the same level of CR involvement as there once was. Post race drinks at Transport while watching the marathoners come home was the best!

I will be at the St Kilda Triangle with Snakes, Jelly Bean and more. Navy Diver Hat on for sure. My Niece is running her first after 1/2s for the last few years. Super Proud Uncle. Might Try a Cool Running Banner if I get a chance. About time I get to give a snake or jelly bean back after getting them from cool kids and others for the last 6 MM runs. Hope your training is going well. Should be walking from Thursday. I am in the pool now and planning my 2020 runs already.

#23 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:35 AM

Katz

Ah yes the Transport Bar after the marathon. The only constant in life is change.

#24 TassiePenguin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:00 AM

I am back again with the 3.30 flag, sorry to hear I won't have the Navy boy tailing this ex RAAFie again :(

#25 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 05:58 PM

View PostTassiePenguin, on 16 August 2019 - 11:00 AM, said:

I am back again with the 3.30 flag, sorry to hear I won't have the Navy boy tailing this ex RAAFie again :(

Taking order for your favorite refueling chew of choice TassiePenguin. Us matlows can never keep up the the fly boys and girls :) Note I picked up a few wet one from the deep blue sea :) :(
Bravo Zulu for pacing again mate. Legend!

Should be walking with out crutches in four weeks so may even be standing handing out snakes, jelly beans, ice-poles  and cheering like a nut to my kids embarrassment I assume.

Hope all your training is progressing well. Even not running I got that twinge of excitement when I noted it was only 40 days to go a few days ago :)

Edited by NavyDiverJB, 04 September 2019 - 05:59 PM.

#26 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:56 PM

Hey Navy, please be sure to post a rough idea of where you値l be and what yoI値l be kitted out in.

I知 running Melbourne this year and I壇 treasure a high five from you!!

#27 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:34 AM

This was never on the radar but following pressure to abandon the Sri Chinmoy Mara-Fun relay in Sydney on the 20th October, this is now in play. Leaving it late but where's the best place for accommodation nearest the start? Do they have showers at the finish? How good is transport to the start?

#28 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:17 PM

OK - Accomodation sorted (but will look to improve) - flights booked. Just need to register. Haven't been this excited to do a Marathon since, well Sydney in 2009.

#29 DESTINATION_43

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:09 AM

Three weeks to Melbourne!

Can't believe how quick this year has gone (and the last 10 for that matter) and at this stage I will be hoping to just go under Sub 4 with some recurring breathing issues that I've been having, holding me back!

All booked and just two parkruns at Goulburn and Werrington to negate. (which I find harder than many marathons)

Edited by DESTINATION_43, 24 September 2019 - 07:10 PM.

#30 Shahanga

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:44 PM

I知 back for No. 8.
Was hoping to go sub 4 but now recovering from a bad cold/mild flu which sat me on my backside briefly last weekend; so I guess it depends how quickly I bounce back.

#31 TassiePenguin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:08 PM

View PostNavyDiverJB, on 04 September 2019 - 05:58 PM, said:

Taking order for your favorite refueling chew of choice TassiePenguin. Us matlows can never keep up the the fly boys and girls :) Note I picked up a few wet one from the deep blue sea :) :(

Should be walking with out crutches in four weeks so may even be standing handing out snakes, jelly beans, ice-poles  and cheering like a nut to my kids embarrassment I assume.

Hope all your training is progressing well. Even not running I got that twinge of excitement when I noted it was only 40 days to go a few days ago :)

Black jelly beans always good :)

#32 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:45 AM

Last very long run on Saturday. Was at 5:37 pace but had a reoccurrence of a high hamstring injury that was troubling me before Sydney. I think it could be Hip Flexor related  - I'll let me physio sort it out as she did an excellent job before Sydney.

Constantly familiarising myself with the course ahead of Sunday week.

What's the baggage drop like on the day?

#33 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 03:16 PM

View PostTassiePenguin, on 28 September 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

In my bag for you Sir FLYBOY :) See if I can get the bag especially painted as well for the Timer. Best bit I can schedule to meet the 3.30 team :)  PS off crutches and can move at 5 kph most of the time Woo Hoo :)

Edited by NavyDiverJB, 30 September 2019 - 03:17 PM.

#34 cjr

almost a 1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 05:22 PM

I got a promotional email today saying that the Marathon was nearly sold out, however on their website it says there is no field limit (as has always been the case in previous years). I'm still not sure whether I will run or not, so don't want to enter until the last minute.

Does anyone know what the deal is ??

#35 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:31 AM

The website indicated the Marathon was sold out and they had a wait list.

#36 DESTINATION_43

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:28 PM

View PostShahanga, on 24 September 2019 - 09:44 PM, said:

I'm back for No. 8.
Was hoping to go sub 4 but now recovering from a bad cold/mild flu which sat me on my backside briefly last weekend; so I guess it depends how quickly I bounce back.
Yep - I'm in for #9 Shahanga

#37 cjr

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:41 AM

That's completely crazy and devious that they are saying it is sold out, when the website clearly said that there was no field limit.

#38 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:36 AM

It says there is a 9000 field limit now

#39 cjr

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:51 AM

They only added the "field limit" after it sold out

#40 TassiePenguin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:25 PM

View PostNavyDiverJB, on 30 September 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

View PostTassiePenguin, on 28 September 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

In my bag for you Sir FLYBOY :) See if I can get the bag especially painted as well for the Timer. Best bit I can schedule to meet the 3.30 team :)  PS off crutches and can move at 5 kph most of the time Woo Hoo :)

Got a "promotion" today.  One of the 3.20 pacers has asked to drop back to 3.30, so I have been asked to step up to 3.20 pacer.  Only 16 secs a kilometre difference....  Hmm, hope it isn't weather like last year

#41 cjr

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:14 AM

So after putting myself on the waitlist, I got as invite to enter yesterday. MM no 13 here I come.
My MM boycott didn't last long

#42 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:32 AM

View Postcjr, on 09 October 2019 - 07:14 AM, said:

So after putting myself on the waitlist, I got as invite to enter yesterday. MM no 13 here I come.
My MM boycott didn't last long
Well done cjr. I'll see you there. I'll be the one in the singlet and shorts :Silly:

#43 Katz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

Just about to jump on a plane to Melbourne. In for the half.

#44 BeesKnees

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:29 PM

Nice to hear from you Katz, hope you are going well.

#45 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:21 AM

Well done all. Loved cheering and seeing a lot more runners than I would have had I ran. Got to cheer 3 times for many as I picked the St Kilda Triangle :)

My niece beat her goal of a sub 4 by 20 minutes.

I was loaded with Jelly Beans TassieP Honest The slower runners enjoyed them.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Yy7UkQlaGOE

Edited by NavyDiverJB, 13 October 2019 - 11:23 AM.

#46 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:59 AM

Wish I was there, hopefully back next year.

Hope everyone achieved there times.

#47 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:58 PM

Well, I was told I would enjoy Melbourne and that was certainly what happened.

I flew done early on Saturday morning and realised just as we were about to land that I'd left my GPS watch on charge back in Sydney. A frantic call to my wife and then some messaging to a cool runner (Horrie) that was coming down later and that problem / disaster was averted. Mental note, wear it instead of packing it in a bag.

Picked up my bib on the Saturday and did some walking around the city before heading out east to a friends place (past Sandown). Ended up going out with him for dinner and watched Kipchoge break 2:00 and had a meal which made me think it was probably too heavy for me the night before. That fear was not to transpire.

As I was staying in Richmond Hill, I made the 10-15min walk to the G and at about 530am and then was misdirected to the baggage drop. Eventually found it and then got ready for the start. I noticed the approximate race times posted so used these as a guide but then noticed the 3:50 pacer was way ahead so I edged closer. Found the atmosphere at the start amazing (sorry Sydney - it was much better) but also chaotic and found I was going fast then slowing down. Found it pretty congested like a City to Surf until we turned onto Fitzory St and then Albert Park. This then spread out a little and by this point, my laps were between 5:08 and 5:12. I missed a drink station at 13km due to the congestion but picked up some water around 16km. I thought the stretch post Albert Park along the water would be difficult - it wasn't too bad and the distance just seemed to tick over. Before I knew it, it was already back into Fitzroy st and back towards the city. This is where the fun began.

I hadn't really done the sums but exiting Albert Park as we approached it were the Marathon runners. I'm assuming I hit the 2:15 group - was hard to tell. It meant a fair amount of ducking and weaving although as I was feeling strong, I was still able to overtake them. Along St Kilda Rd, they had the service road for them but road works further on meant they were merged back. Once we did the loop around the back of the Arts Centre and ABC, there were 2 seperate issues with runners on the ground being attended by ambos. Stayed with the half runners until we broke away at the Tan and then someone's cruel sense of humour and some inclines (not big or sharp but noticeable at the tail end) slowed me down slightly. Once I hit 38km , I was determined not to stop and at this stage I noticed a 3:40 pacer with a runner, I thought maybe a Marathon PB would be on. I then realised she was assisting him to finish and was no longer running to pace.

I found the stretch back up to Flinders st and then along Wellington Pde the best- you could see the G and then all of a sudden, down Brunton Ave and then the G (I filmed a dodgy video of the final 600m which I will insert a link tomorrow). The lap of the G was amazing (with the crowd, the atmosphere, the buzz, the excitement). Felt strong and continued on to finish in 3:43:57. Really happy with that performance - one of my most consistent races ever.

Spent the rest of the morning walking and making my way back to the airport. Finally able to relax now. Great event, not much if anything to fault. Even the weather was perfect.

Also saw 2 CoolRunners with hats- one I gave a GCR - the other I never saw again at the turnarounds. If you got a GCR, that may have been me.

Here is a link to the finish of my run (excuse the leave breathing):

https://youtu.be/qpV5EgQfcPI

#48 dadagain

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:11 AM

View Postbobbys, on 13 October 2019 - 07:58 PM, said:

Spent the rest of the morning walking ... back to the airport.

Thats some pretty impressive cool down effort right there!!! :)

#49 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:13 AM

View Postdadagain, on 14 October 2019 - 08:11 AM, said:

View Postbobbys, on 13 October 2019 - 07:58 PM, said:

Spent the rest of the morning walking ... back to the airport.

Thats some pretty impressive cool down effort right there!!! :)
not quite a walk to the airport. My pc cut off a line. Walked to Southern Cross and then SkyBus to airport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#50 Moffla23

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:33 AM

I ran my first ever half today and surprised myself, comfortably finishing under 2 hours at 1:49:54.
I had been doing recreational running for some time but never tested myself like this before.

Anyway, great day - i'll be back again next year with the same goal - to finish!