veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:20 AM

Oops I did it again
Posted Image

My registration is completed so kicking of the 2019 thread.

I hope the very cool super mum Sinead Diver is back to defend her win last year.  One of my favorite parts of Melbourne is when I hit Beaconsfield Parade along the beach having the leaders running back past us. I cheered her and others leaders last year not knowing her amazing yarn at that point. If Lavinia Petrie came along for her pending world record this year it would be cool.

Registration now open.

Only 3 more  for me to get the spartan gig :) I'll top 20 long runs this year.  I am doing Great Ocean Road and probably Shep or Traralgon before October and Portland and Lilydale to tone the year down later. I am such a novice compared to Eagle, Lavinia  and Sharon Scholz and many of you :)

Have fun whatever your goal, pace or distances are. I think and feel we are very lucky to be able to run and see so many amazing and inspiring people while enjoying it.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:41 PM

Sadly I had a bit of a bingle. Driver failed to give way. Broken leg, pelvis, ribs, T1 T2 and a few minor facial fractures. Leg was fixed with a pole in the bone I can stand on already. No weight bearing on the other leg untill the pelvis repairs set for 30  days and no impact exercises for a while after that.

I am really good and looking forward to running a Marathon at the end of 2019 Portland or Lilydale probably.  Zero pain after the operation to fix my pelvis.

Rehab for a few weeks includes a physio who will do her first MM thus year. My spartan dream back a year- C est la vie

#3 claudicles

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:00 PM

Bugger NavyDiver! I hope your recovery goes quickly. It is rotten when something you have no control over like that wipes you out for a while.

#4 Eagle

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:09 AM

NavyB - WHAT !!!

Glad your are on the mend and looking positive to the next run.

#5 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:52 PM

Sorry mate, what a bugger, hope you have a good recovery.

Hopefully see you at Lilydale in November.

#6 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:45 AM

Off topic - Robert W, I look like making Lilydale this year after being on the radar for a few years and then dropping off.

#7 Robert W

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:46 PM

Hi Eagle, Look forward to seeing you there, its a nice run on the rail trail through the Yarra ranges.

#8 dadagain

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:48 AM

Wow NavyD - thats sounds pretty nasty. Hope your recovery is speedy, but dont rush back to running too soon.

I'm finally getting confidence back that I might be able to get back to proper running and build my mileage and fitness back up after what has been close to 6 months off and before that about 6 months of fatigue effected running. I'm daring to wonder if I can target Melbourne for the half marathon to give me something to aim for. I'll give it a couple more weeks and re-assess how I feel.

#9 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:49 PM

View PostNavyDiverJB, on 20 July 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

Sadly I had a bit of a bingle. Driver failed to give way. Broken leg, pelvis, ribs, T1 T2 and a few minor facial fractures. Leg was fixed with a pole in the bone I can stand on already. No weight bearing on the other leg untill the pelvis repairs set for 30  days and no impact exercises for a while after that.

I am really good and looking forward to running a Marathon at the end of 2019 Portland or Lilydale probably.  Zero pain after the operation to fix my pelvis.

Rehab for a few weeks includes a physio who will do her first MM thus year. My spartan dream back a year- C est la vie

Crikey, that's just awful.

Especially for someone who obviously values health and fitness.

Yeah as others have mentioned, don't rush the recovery. Be particularly watchful of the pelvic injury.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

#10 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:14 PM

^^Just saw your above post about your accident NavyDiver. Boy, thats nasty, but i guess it could have been even worse! As others above have mentioned, best of wishes for a good recovery..

#11 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:40 AM

Good news is I have talked several people into trying 1/2 or full runs at Melbourne in my incessant running chatter with very cool Physios.

I am in a Rehab hospital in Donvale until I can climb stairs. Review on Friday was a bit of a bummer as I hoped to be allowed to weight bare this week. I am walking in the deep water now. X-rays in two weeks to see if I can dry land that and get home.

My yarn about a very very cool Lilydale 1/2 Lady who brought her kids with her last year ( he is 60+) has a few of the more senior people here for Rehab considering it as well.

#12 Stej

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:06 PM

Sadly I had a bit of a bingle. Driver failed to give way. Broken leg, pelvis, ribs, T1 T2 and a few minor facial fractures...

"Bit of a bingle", in the running for CR understatement of the year.  Ouch!  Sorry to hear of this.  Were you driving, cycling, running, ?, when the incident occurred?  Best wishes for your recovery.

#13 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:18 PM

View PostStej, on 29 July 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

Sadly I had a bit of a bingle. Driver failed to give way. Broken leg, pelvis, ribs, T1 T2 and a few minor facial fractures...

"Bit of a bingle", in the running for CR understatement of the year.  Ouch!  Sorry to hear of this.  Were you driving, cycling, running, ?, when the incident occurred?  Best wishes for your recovery.
1999 Honda CBR 600. It had carburetors. I loved it.  Pace a lot faster than my treddly

#14 darg75

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:57 PM

Hey Navy, Iím rattled to read that post from 20th July.  Iím glad youíre ok.  All the best for a speedy recovery.

#15 Maton12

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:26 PM

All the best for a full and speedy recovery NavyDiverJB

#16 RunningSurfer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 03:57 PM

Speedy recovery NavyDiver - although it seems you mindset needs no help from me!

#17 DESTINATION_43

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:07 AM

Just logged on for the first time in about 12 months and sorry to hear of your crash/bam/wallop NavyDiverJB > and here's me worrying about a 2013 Audi that I bought in April which blew up in Bendigo (750km from home) just 15 days after ownership.

101 days without a car and I get the mongrel dog of a thing back tomorrow!

Anyhow Melbourne this year will be #9 with a best of 3:14.35 and a slowest of 3:56.38

#18 mick_runs

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:44 PM

Hey All, I'm a newbie to the forum and running.

I've only been running 9 months but have decided to run the full marathon.
So far 4 Half Mara's completed and my train for the full is basically a Half Mara or more every week.
This shit is getting real.
My goal.... is to just complete it.

#19 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:13 PM

mick_runs
Welcome. Yes the first goal is to finish and anything after that is a bonus. Yes wishes wit the training.

#20 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:35 PM

^^^A new member! Great stuff! Welcome and best of luck. Please let us know how you go, and i hope you continue to run afterwoods and hang around. Just enjoy the first one. You will get a great sense of achievement and learn lots for your next one!!

#21 Katz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:01 AM

Peeps and homies, hello.

Will be in Melbs for another event and have decided to do the half while there. The 10k was my first big city event all those years ago. Looking forward to coming back and doing another one. Shame there isn't the same level of CR involvement as there once was. Post race drinks at Transport while watching the marathoners come home was the best!

#22 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:18 PM

View PostKatz, on 12 August 2019 - 08:01 AM, said:

Peeps and homies, hello.

Will be in Melbs for another event and have decided to do the half while there. The 10k was my first big city event all those years ago. Looking forward to coming back and doing another one. Shame there isn't the same level of CR involvement as there once was. Post race drinks at Transport while watching the marathoners come home was the best!

I will be at the St Kilda Triangle with Snakes, Jelly Bean and more. Navy Diver Hat on for sure. My Niece is running her first after 1/2s for the last few years. Super Proud Uncle. Might Try a Cool Running Banner if I get a chance. About time I get to give a snake or jelly bean back after getting them from cool kids and others for the last 6 MM runs. Hope your training is going well. Should be walking from Thursday. I am in the pool now and planning my 2020 runs already.

#23 Eagle

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:35 AM

Katz

Ah yes the Transport Bar after the marathon. The only constant in life is change.

#24 TassiePenguin

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:00 AM

I am back again with the 3.30 flag, sorry to hear I won't have the Navy boy tailing this ex RAAFie again :(