16 replies to this topic

#1 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:34 PM

I chuckled reading this. My wife suggests my water bottle is like a babies dummy :) I know almost exactly my water loss per hour variable to temp and pace of course. I do and need to drink 2 to 3 litres of pure H2o most days. The marathoner who drank to much has me amazed. I can get how in tropics and treks like Kokoda people could over hydrate. I have never thought people could in a marathon till I read this. Enjoy.

http://www.bbc.com/f...ou-drink-a-day

Edited by NavyDiverJB, 05 April 2019 - 07:34 PM.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 claudicles

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 06 April 2019 - 12:31 PM

I thought it was usually slower runners who tended to overhydrate - being on the course longer and not generating as much heat, so not sweating as much meant they didn't need to replace as much as faster runners. I always get a chuckle out of casual walkers who stroll along with a water bottle. What is wrong with having a drink before or after you head out the door? I certainly do for any run less than an hour.

#3 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:02 AM

People have ended up ventilated in intensive care with hyponatraemia from overhydration after running a 10kmer.
Associated factors - newbies, hot weather, slower, use of NSAIDs, increased access to drinking stations in particular.

Edited by undercover brother, 07 April 2019 - 07:03 AM.

#4 Jindalee

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 06:27 PM

The message these days is to drink to thirst and not to a schedule.

#5 omy005

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:01 PM

A read of "Waterlogged" by Tim Noakes pretty much explains the fallacy of "dehydration". In all his examples the fastest marathoners were the most "dehydrated".

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/145042497X

#6 SkyChariot

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:05 PM

I think it comes down to people relying more on what they read and what others tell them to do, rather than actually being in tune with their own bodies, and listening to what their own bodies are telling them. Its like people are becoming disconnected from their own bodies and dont know how to think for themselves anymore. Or maybe, its that people dont like to think for themselves anymore, as, if anything goes wrong, they can always blame someone else for crap info!

#7 riffraff

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:48 PM

View PostSkyChariot, on 08 April 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

I think it comes down to people relying more on what they read and what others tell them to do, rather than actually being in tune with their own bodies, and listening to what their own bodies are telling them. Its like people are becoming disconnected from their own bodies and dont know how to think for themselves anymore. Or maybe, its that people dont like to think for themselves anymore, as, if anything goes wrong, they can always blame someone else for crap info!

That's a given.

They prefer their views to be shaped by others.

Having your own learned opinion on anything is much too time consuming in the modern world.

#8 omy005

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:53 PM

View PostSkyChariot, on 08 April 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

I think it comes down to people relying more on what they read and what others tell them to do

This is true, but it starts from a very early age. Mid primary school age, when they start to get involved with club sports or other athletic pursuits. And the coaches and all levels of admin keep telling them to "don't forget to drink" every time the sun is out. This then carries on for years until they espouse the same rhetoric without any thought, and we end up with hyponatremia in extreme cases.

#9 undercover brother

the banned bigot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

^ true but remember that kids are notorious bad drinkers and have a higher relative body surface area and a few other physiologic differences that make them more likely to cook than adults.

#10 Davo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:45 PM

View Postundercover brother, on 08 April 2019 - 07:05 PM, said:

^ true but remember that kids are notorious bad drinkers and have a higher relative body surface area and a few other physiologic differences that make them more likely to cook than adults.
Yes, true. Cooked infants aren't bad at all, especially with a fried egg and a few mushrooms thrown in. Apparently it's good pre-race fodder.

#11 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:44 PM

^^^Thanks for filling us in on your pre race meal routine Davo. Any infants gone missing in your area before events then???
heard someone at parkrun one day talking about drinking water. The said they had an app that told them when it was time to take a drink. I was incredulous!!!! Have people become that brainless??????

#12 bobbys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:04 AM

I was going to reply but my app told me to wait until later.....

I sort of run to thirst but find it usually equates to around every 10 or so km in a marathon. I make more of a point in drinking in summer but I can do my morning 18km runs with no drinks stop at all.

#13 Davo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:25 AM

View PostSkyChariot, on 09 April 2019 - 05:44 PM, said:

^^^Thanks for filling us in on your pre race meal routine Davo. Any infants gone missing in your area before events then???
heard someone at parkrun one day talking about drinking water. The said they had an app that told them when it was time to take a drink. I was incredulous!!!! Have people become that brainless??????

There's been many a time when my wife has said to me "It's time you stopped drinking," which of course equates to the same thing, SK.
Oh! Oh! You mean water. Oh well, that's different.
Mind you, some of us do need reminding about basic activities. Many's the time my wife has said to me "You need to go to the toilet, matey." This was after setting a world record for holding her breath. But, judging from some of your previous posts, SK, you know all about that sort of thing, don't you!

#14 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:39 PM

^^A good fart isn't always the precursor to a needed dump. Sometimes, you do the number two dash with sweat trickling off your brow, but when you get there, its just all air!!

#15 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 12:43 PM

I personally do not bother to drink much during 21km runs. I struggle to drink much while moving during marathons at a guess I get 1/2 of the little cups I pick up usually every second drink station. During almost every marathon where we mix in with the 1/2 m runners at a drink station I note many taking 2 or more of the cups. Melbourne M in particular. It would be the moderate to slow running paced 1/2 runners I assume as I am still over taking them. Portland 1/2 runners seem a lot less susceptible to this 2-3 cups per station I note.

I almost always drink 500ml immediately followed by sipping 1 litre or a little more over a hour or so post long runs and find the pee test time the usual indicator re hydration is in progress. :)  2-3 hours post runs if I push my pace a little.

#16 Sub17ParkRun

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:57 AM

I stick to sport drink to get salt, sugar and hydration just by drinking 1 or 2 cups at aid stations. Pre-marathon I drink only Gatorade for the sugar, hydration and salt hit. I am drinking 2 cups at every aid stations after 30km, I am slowing down significantly as a direct result of muscle fatigue. I tried gels a few times but they only upset my stomach and I could not drink enough water with the gels.

#17 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:19 PM

^^Dont waste your money on jells and sports drinks. They are just a super expensive way to buy what is essentially just sugar. With a good diet, you get all the nutrition you need. The problem is that all this junk science about sports 'nutrition' has brainwashed people into thinking they need all this stuff to keep them from crashing. If you eat well and do the training, you will get to the line in your best time, drinks and gels are not magic bullets to best performance. Sugar is also very inflammatory. Think about how the human body is meant to function. Way back before all this stuff was invented, and we were hunters and gatherers, our ancestors didnt go out on a persistence, hunt, and get 20mins into it and suddenly have to stop for a gell so they could continue on. They could just keep pacing themselves for hours if needed without hitting walls and running out of energy. When you start to put sugar into your body every 20 mins, your body starts to rely on that, and thats when you end up developing  sugar slumps. When you learn to go out and run without sugar, your body relearns to adjust and go back to functioning the way it was meant to. Cunning sports supplement companies are making a fortune out of what is lolly water.  Think of the money you will save too! How many gels is it they recommend you suck down over the duration of a marathon?? And how many would you be using on your long runs in the months leading up?