2 replies to this topic

#1 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 27 April 2019 - 12:52 PM

Been going to run this and at last got it with out a clash with other commitments. Possibly going to sit back at a moderate pace and just enjoy the view rather than push- what ever time I get is a PB for 45km.

The wind is my nemesis so I am hoping the very consistent South westerly is gentle for me.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:33 PM

Great Ocean Road. What a cool run. Driven and ridden the road a few times. Slowing it down really gave it the time to see so much more of the magnificent scenery and even the road cut out by diggers after WW1.

Arrived after a SLOW trip from Melbourne. Glad I do not drive out of Melbourne every Friday night. Some pre race questions for a first time for me. How do the buses for the Marathon work? Asked the General enquireries  person in the race tent. “Busses leave at 6am Be here by 5.30-5.45 to ensure you don’t miss your race”
I was very confused. I was in Lorne and thought the race started there at 8am. I asked if they were sure that is for the marathon? A very confident response had me bussing away from Lorne at 6am Sunday morning. Sat beside a helpful ‘Sophie’ who like all the other Half marathon runners on the bus looked a little aghast I was on their bus.   I chuckled thinking about having a short ½ run. The bus dropped the happy ½ runners of and was returning to Lorne. Last Train Out Of Sydney song in my brain as the road closed for the start of the Marathon as I bailed out to join the start line for the Marathon

Run was fantastic. The view of the ocean, road and Otway’s was met with a perfectly restrained time at the ½ mark for a 3.30ish marathon. At that point the first chaffing event since my first marathon bit me. The ouch did not help but happily pushed on to a 4:16 45km . My watch lies and thinks it was 46.26km and stupid me started in in Bike Mode which makes it report a slow ride .

Tom and I paced with Tassi P in Melbourne last year had a very good chat. Till I found my chaffing beginning to bite. I bailed to the loo to check my chaffing leaving him to run a much better time. ( sorry mate)
Another gent who is 48 ½ trying to crack 50 marathons before he turns 50 had a great chat. That was another good yarn and distraction from my discomfort. A person with two walking/hiking sticks with a determined gait 10km from the end told me of a loss of 50kg already and the plan to loose another 50kgs. I suspect they will do it with ease. Determination to finish and achieve goals is not always about the speed we travel. My 25km of progressively worse bow legged running pales in comparison to the effort many put in to there own goals I think.

Weather gods smiled on us with sunshine and no wind making for a perfect day for a spectacular run. If you haven’t yet tried the Great Ocean Road it is well worth putting it on your 'must do' runs. It is honestly beautiful and gives you a perspective no one driving could ever see.  Have to add the last 15km had cars on the other side. I was not shocked to see almost every passenger in the cars staring at their mobile phones not the ocean. It is a strange surreal world for some.

Jumped straight on the bus back to kids and wife waiting in Lorne. It was full of mostly 1/2 marathon runners one or two confused me with fast runners which was far from the truth yesterday. A European gent I sat beside had chaffing as well due to a cotton shirt. We had a good chat about running clothes and shoes which dragged in several others whom seemed to me be in need of talking with others about the topics or joining a useful cool running forum for advice.  Bus went past some of the Ultra Legends and mere mortal marathoners and slower half runners still running for almost 20km back. No windows to cheer them sadly.

Edited by NavyDiverJB, 20 May 2019 - 04:34 PM.

#3 AndyP

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:58 PM

Nice report and well done.