5 replies to this topic

#1 rachtann

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Sex:Female

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:49 AM

Yesterday I was given notice I have a significant tear in my plantar fascia. Like many people I've had this issue before. My question is - do you think I can train for a 100km in Oct on a bike and water running?

I've had 4 weeks off running and it is healing slowly. Fingers crossed I maybe able to run again in 6 weeks. This leaves me 14 weeks to get ready.

Support our Australian advertisers:

#2 Davo

1000-club gold-rated CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:21 AM

Rachtan, if I was in your position I would do cycling and/or water training, the important thing being the duration of effort. You would need to get your body - and your mind - used to making a steady effort for hour after hour after hour. That's the important thing.
Then, as you say, "fingers crossed."
Good luck.
Pf ain't pretty - you have my sympathy!

#3 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:44 PM

You know your body better than anyone. I don't know how old you are, or if you have done these kinds of races before. If you had decent fitness before you injured your foot, then you could keep decent enough fitness with other training like cycling swimming, mentioned. If you have the time to really put the hours in with these until you can run more again. It would be possible to train for a marathon in the time you had after your foot had healed, but it would probably be a bit short of your best effort. An ultra is a different thing. Its a different pace and different stresses on mind and body. I imagine it would be possible to get from go to whoa if you just ticked along and you had no more serious issues that kept you off running between when your foot healed and the race. Its up to you.

#4 rachtann

CoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:19 PM

Thanks, I completed to 50km Ultras and recently did Oxfam 100 but we walked it as one of our team members didn't run. It took us 25 hours so I know what time on your feet feels like. Was hoping to get a running base in before hitting the mountains but am now thinking I will have to just get on the trails as soon as I can.

#5 SkyChariot

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:28 AM

Sounds like you well and truly know what you are doing. So good luck with the buildup between then and now. Just don't overdo it and set yourself back at all. Better to be a bit cautious but at least get to the line and get through with what you have been able to do and be happy with that, and learn more for next time, than bust something trying to be too ambitious and not be able to run at all, or run, and pull up broken and have a bad experience.

#6 NavyDiverJB

veryCoolRunner

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Sex:Male

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

View Postrachtann, on 17 May 2019 - 08:49 AM, said:

Yesterday I was given notice I have a significant tear in my plantar fascia. Like many people I've had this issue before. My question is - do you think I can train for a 100km in Oct on a bike and water running?

I've had 4 weeks off running and it is healing slowly. Fingers crossed I maybe able to run again in 6 weeks. This leaves me 14 weeks to get ready.
I did five weeks of deep water running after an injury just before Sydney a few years ago. PB for me. I looked like a goose on my long runs. It works. Get the right belt. One that wont chaff. A life jacket would chaff.  Very low/no impact but easily able to replicate pace and speeds for your normal running training plans. Good luck